• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(EU? Norway?) NES Classic Mini reaching EOL - production ceasing

Yikes. That is crazy.

I lucked out yesterday and I finally found one at Walmart near me. Using the website Brickseek helped a ton (it's a brick and mortar inventory checker, for those unaware)

Ouroboros

They are just making a second revision with better security right? If this is true this is the most Nintendo thing they've ever done.

Redd

Nintendo doesn't want my money. Oh well, it's not like I didn't try but I'll be damned if I got to wait hours in a line or constantly check online for a classic. Just spend my money on other things.

While nothing is out of the realm of possibility when it comes to Nintendo, just a few weeks ago Nintendo's president, Kimishima, during an investor's meeting stated the exact opposite: they are working to increase production. Here's a quote from the presentation slides:

In November last year, we brought back the nostalgic Famicom and NES home consoles in palm- sized versions and shipped the entire quantity of Nintendo Classic Mini Family Computer units we initially prepared for each market. We apologize to our consumers and retail partners for the inconvenience caused by product shortages. Some parts require time to procure, but we are working to increase production. We also see the nostalgic interest in these products as an opportunity to draw consumers’ attention to our latest game system, Nintendo Switch.

Source: Nintendo

Takat

I think it was always suppose to be a short lived special edition. I get the anger, but it was never meant to live past christmas that way I see it. They will do a SNES version as well for next christmas and so on.

Kinda like a mint kitkat or pumpkin lattes.

I doubt it has anything to do with the hacking.

While nothing is out of the realm of possibility when it comes to Nintendo, just a few weeks ago Nintendo's president, Kimishima, during an investor's meeting stated the exact opposite: they are working to increase production. Here's a quote from the presentation slides:

I think that last sentence might mean more than you think it does.

Eh. I'd normally be salty that I bought one and sold it so early, but I bought it for like 45 bucks and sold it to a friend, so I can't be too mad.

That being said it always felt like a stopgap and they may not want to cannibalize Switch, so I could see it.

I think it was always suppose to be a short lived special edition. I get the anger, but it was never meant to live past christmas that way I see it. They will do a SNES version as well for next christmas and so on.

Kinda like a mint kitkat or pumpkin lattes.

I doubt it has anything to do with the hacking.

Again, nothing in their advertisements say it was limited.

MoogPaul

My guess would be that they are ending production most likely since they realised that they released a product so easily cracked that it would destroy their virtual console business.

Surprising? Not really. This is Nintendo.

"You think we can't screw this up? Watch us!"

I suspect they pulled the plug just as soon as they got word that the mini got hacked. Nintendo doesn't want you doing anything with "their" stuff. Even if you've paid for it.

Asshats.

Justinh

If this is true (which I'm not sure I believe yet, although I would not be surprised one bit if it were) I'd be less "What the fuck, Nintendo?" and more "Go fuck yourselves, Nintendo."

They've never once said it was a limited item, from what I remember, and as people pointed out have said they'd continually make more.

I haven't been searching for one after really wanting one pre-launch because I thought it costs too much. Now, I reckon 60 dollars isn't too much and it's a great price, but it doesn't cost 60 dollars... it's that plus going out and searching or frantically trying to get one in your cart and checkout at an online store or cashing in a heapful of luck.

Sulik2

You don't know how marketing works. In fact Nintendos decisions in the last two years are on point and the brand awareness of Nintendo is raised to stratosphere.

Except they left millions of sales of NES Classics on the table by not producing enough of them and failed to properly monetize Super Mario Run. That is millions of revenue lost in the just the last three months. Let alone all the horrible decisions with the 3DS they had to correct and the Wii U disaster. Oh and there is a massive 3DS shortage right now that they are leaving more money on the table with.

The Switch is still very much a shrug, we will see how it goes, but they already seem to be making the exact same mistake they always do of not making enough of them for launch. On top of too high a price point. Just because they have brand awareness, doesn't mean their board is making good decisions. The way their stock plummeted after the Switch reveal should give you a good idea of how much faith their shareholders have in their management decisions right now.

They may have realized that because all stock is sold, now is the time to switch models to one that has better security.

Let's wait for official word.

Shifty1897

This....seems completely insane and cannot be true?

In the US I still have literally never seen one in person at a store, they're always sold out.

I don't know a single person in real life who has one. At this point I just assumed they were pretend.

tebunker

Banned

They are just making a second revision with better security right? If this is true this is the most Nintendo thing they've ever done.

These two things go hand in hand.

Odds are they are making some small tweaks in hardware to get away from having any vulnerabilities .

People will still find a way

Camjo-Z

This explanation actually makes sense.

The average consumer interested in a plug-and-play console is definitely not buying an NES Mini to hack it. Even if they were, it's just free money for Nintendo. They get $0 from a person playing ROMs on their computer or smartphone, they get $60 from someone doing the same on an NES Mini.

compo

Banned
This is going to read stupid (I know because I've already posted it before and got some slack for it), but I sold my Wii U and N3DS because I was so upset with how mini NES production went. If I seriously can't buy one of these stupid things, then I'm done with Nintendo forever, and I'm making a RetroPi.

bumpkin

Surprising? Not really. This is Nintendo.

"You think we can't screw this up? Watch us!"

I suspect they pulled the plug just as soon as they got word that the mini got hacked. Nintendo doesn't want you doing anything with "their" stuff. Even if you've paid for it.

Asshats.
This probably isn't far from the truth. It's also why we can't have nice things.

Not that I disagree with the efforts to add more games to it. Some of the inclusions were odd to begin with, and not having the system be upgradable to get more games was a bummer.

Redd

This is going to read stupid (I know because I've already posted it before and got some slack for it), but I sold my Wii U and N3DS because I was so upset with how mini NES production went. If I seriously can't buy one of these stupid things, then I'm done with Nintendo forever, and I'm making a RetroPi.

Well it's pretty stupid but it's your stuff so do you.

Kyne

5ca.jpg

Deft Beck

My guess would be that they are ending production most likely since they realised that they released a product so easily cracked that it would destroy their virtual console business.

There are many, many products released before, during and after the NES Mini, including ones that Nintendo released themselves, that either have an open door for pirates or easy cracks/jailbreaks.

It doesn't make much sense to revise hardware for software reasons. I suspect that Nintnedo has figured out their supply chain issues and will relaunch the unit for the spring.

Not for the DS they couldn't. And that sold even more.

DS is an entirely different story than NES Classic Mini. They kept selling games for it that could check for presence of flashcard until patching, or could depend on extras that took extra effort and hardware to work without duplicating (Pokemon IR port). They made and heavily pushed a new model (DSi) which checked for presence of existing flashcards and resulted in a few brands dying off as soon as their support stopped, making the whole thing feel riskier. They also were committed to the platform by existing software development, both first- and third-party.

NES Classic Mini does not have these. It is what it is right now, and it will be what it is right now. They could technically make a new model but it will basically be a completely separate thing anyway with a possible exception of marketing, and they don't want to reuse the existing template for obvious reasons which plays against their low budget development strategy for this sort of hardware. And they prefer to push VC with its irresponsibly constant pricing.

They need the Switch to succeed. They can't have people buying other Nintendo consoles. It's why the WiiU got yanked. It won't be long before they pull the 3DS also.

Major B.S.

Neo Member
Not sure if anybody else has posted this yet but it could be warranted to mention. Keep in mind that the NES Classic has product licensing from other publishers like Capcom...etc. it's is not inconceivable that they might have to renew licensing under a new SKU and/or they are planning a "2nd" edition.

This may or may not also mean that we have to wait until end of 2017 to see a new NES Classic "2nd" edition or SNES, or whatever they have in response to demand.

I'm just talking out my butt here, but it's possible that they are sticking to a preplanned contract or something along those lines.

//ARCANUM

I bought an extra one from the recent Best Buy stock in hopes I'd have a friend that needed a hook up at cost. Maybe..... I'll just hold on to it for a little bit just to see.

I ain't rich.

Top Bottom