• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Independently confirms source that the PS4.5 is real, referred as PS 4K

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
? I agree I said its custom.

But the general architecture is almost the same. It really is. It has its own upgrades / changes but its closer to an off the shelf PC GPU than any previous console generation

Well yeah, of course, and it makes their ecosystem more BC and easier switch to games as a service based platform... but I am sure that was not the intent of the original statement I quoted.

Jay Sosa

If it doesn't help with the performance issues* (I refuse to buy games with framerate problems in 20 fucking 16) than SONY can keep that shit.

*would it even be possible that games run smoother on an upgraded PS4?

onQ123

There's no GPU that was made for PS4 or Xbox One. These two designs are nearly off the shelves from HD7XXX series. Basically GCN 1.0/1.1.

Xbox One GPU is the 7790 with 2CU disabled & lower clock ,that GPU was made because of Xbox One & the same with the GPUs that had 8ACEs & they was made because of the PS4.

dr_rus

The GPUs that was made for PS4 & Xbox One ended up in PCs also waste not want not.

They didn't. Neither PS4's nor XBO's APUs are present in PC space. And even if we take their GPU part only - which is a stretch already - there are no GCN GPUs with the same specs on PC market.

Xbox One GPU is the 7790 with 2CU disabled & lower clock ,that GPU was made because of Xbox One & the same with the GPUs that had 8ACEs & they was made because of the PS4.

Bonaire GPU has a 128 bit GDDR5 memory bus. XBO APU is 256 bit DDR3. They are not the same.

Aswitch

If current pcs with beefy graphics cards can barely dole out 4K resolution smoothly at max resolution, i doubt a console would be able to without any loopholes or engineering trickery whether it be upscaling etc. I think this revision is soley for improving the VR experience in my opinion. That seems the most likely. To my knowledge the PS4 can currently play 4K media already so unless 4k gaming and/or existing games running much better is supported, i don't see any huge selling point to this console over the original PS4. I would definitely be more interested to see if Xbox one follows suite since it's inferior from a technical standpoint and would benefit the most from this form of console revisioning.

onQ123

They didn't. Neither PS4's nor XBO's APUs are present in PC space. And even if we take their GPU part only - which is a stretch already - there are no GCN GPUs with the same specs on PC market.

Bonaire GPU has a 128 bit GDDR5 memory bus. XBO APU is 256 bit DDR3. They are not the same.

7790 came late & featured true audio & had the 2 ACEs with up to 16 jobs this was the GPU used for Xbox One it just had a lower clock & 2 CUs disable.

Or not ? Both MS and Sony just shopped some GCN designs at AMD's labs. Hd7790 wasnt made because of Xbox One. It was made because GCN is a scalable architecture and AMD needed to had a variety of price point entries.

Same for the Hawaii GPUs, namely R9 290 and 290X. The fact that these two have more ACE has nothing to do with PS4.

7790 came late & featured true audio & had the 2 ACEs with up to 16 jobs this was the GPU used for Xbox One it just had a lower clock & 2 CUs disable.

I dont think it works like this at all. More like AMD has an architecture and release a wide variety of GPUs with a scalable number of GCN cores. Thats why you have GPUs with 12, 16, 18, 20, 26, 28, 32, 40 or even 64 CUs.

LurkingFear

"PS 4K"
comment_nRpaniqC7BLc4qcuQZk5ghNLZquLaf8o.gif

0nZMAxj.gif

DieH@rd

Banned
Thanks. I'm surprised that Sony has not addressed this yet.

They are a public company. They can't comment on rumors and speculation, because their responses can cause changes in their stock value [and other disruptions].

Current situation for all 3 upcoming platforms is:

• Nintendo vaguely talked that "NX platform" will try to unify development between different hardware SKUs, which could be interpreted not only as handheld <> home console unification, but also cross-generational.
  • Microsoft straight up openly promised they will start doing mid-generational upgrades. Since they are not doing so hot with Xbone, that is a move that could benefit them much if it gets executed well.
    Phil Spencer: "You'll actually see us come out with new hardware capability during a generation allowing the same games to run backward and forward compatible..."
  • Sony is currently experiencing a stream of leaks that paint a broad picture of a upgraded PS4 console that can run the same basic PS4 games. We don't know if this will be via smaller PS4 APU that can run on higher clockspeeds, or via brand new stronger APU that uses Polaris GPU module.

As it stands now, all 3 console platform holders are seemingly moving toward the same goal - establishing platforms that can host applications that are not tied to specific hardware.

While PS4K can still be just a higher clocked PS4 APU inside "PS4 Slim" body, Xbone definetley needs much stronger hardware. They will IMO 100% opt for a brand new APU.

dr_rus

Bonaire is a completely difference chip. The shader core may be similar to what is used in XBO but that's it - and shader core is the easiest part of a GPU to reconfigure as it is natively scalable.

SharkJAW

They are winning! Sony cant be overly concerned with MS' roadmap. Xbox doesn't have a VR headset coming out either.
I don't think it would hurt Sony to remain vigilant and test ideas like this. Also, I won't be surprised in the slightest at the next Xbox supporting the Rift.

platina

My prediction (taking into account what Zoetis has already said as far as assets being exactly the same and that it's just being upresd).

No visible difference in:

- Texture Quality
- Shaders
- Post Processing...etc

Unless a game is specifically made to take advantage of this new bonus power (according to the know there is such game being developed as we speak and is going to be unveiled at e3). The majority of time though the main difference will come down to upres 1080p-4k, double framerate (30-60) for all upcoming ps4 games. Would be interesting so see how much the framerate will increase in games already out running on unlocked framerates like Killzone, and Infamous. And the last solution would be (imo the best outcome) supersampling the 1080p game or using equivalent of 8xmsaa along with a post process aa solution all while running 60fps the majority of time.

Tearaway uses this solution and it is the cleanest looking game on ps4 I've played so far:
tearawayunfolded_2016x1qho.png

tearawayunfolded_2016bur6t.png

Barely any jaggies to be seen, this aa solution is what I expect at the very least for all ps4k games.

Hawk269

I remember making similar thread back in 2015, everyone was laughing at the idea.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1068117

Now its a reality.

I wish I could find my posts, but I had similar thoughts about was is happening a while back as well and like you got ridiculed and laughed at because of the thoughts. Based on the rumors and Phil Spencer's comments, some of these things are becoming a reality. In my posts (again I wish I could find them) I mentioned about forward compatibility and how games will just read what system they are running and will default to the baseline system or the high end system. We will see however since nothing has been 100% confirmed, just a lot of different sites claiming to have sources that say it is happening.

rjinaz

I didn't post in that thread, but sorry GAF doubted you! Actually a lot of those replies were pretty rude and condescending.

Maybe it just goes to show how crazy this idea was just like a month or two ago even and how unbelievable it was.

Yep. Another great example of when people deserve to be called out. "LOL not going to happen!" I mean granted, it still might not but people sure do love to act like they know all and if you disagree, laughing at you.

My prediction (taking into account what Zoetis has already said as far as assets being exactly the same and that it's just being upresd).

No visible difference in:

- Texture Quality
- Shaders
- Post Processing...etc

Unless a game is specifically made to take advantage of this new bonus power (according to the know there is such game being developed as we speak and is going to be unveiled at e3). The majority of time though the main difference will come down to upres 1080p-4k, double framerate (30-60) for all upcoming ps4 games. Would be interesting so see how much the framerate will increase in games already out running on unlocked framerates like Killzone, and Infamous. And the last solution would be (imo the best outcome) supersampling the 1080p game or using equivalent of 8xmsaa along with a post process aa solution all while running 60fps the majority of time.

Tearaway uses this solution and it is the cleanest looking game on ps4 I've played so far:
tearawayunfolded_2016x1qho.png

tearawayunfolded_2016bur6t.png

Barely any jaggies to be seen, this aa solution is what I expect at the very least for all ps4k games.

Implications if Xtensa IVP DPU is in the PS4 Southbridge Is a Firmware update in October not a faster PS4 what this rumor is about?

Post processing for Anti Alias and upscaling to 4K would be done by the DPU when APIs are provided by Sony and the Firmware is updated

Move and camera processing done by the DPU with no overhead on the GAME APU
Additional Floating point accelerators (GPGPU) that could be used for the game. Collision detection
Ray-casting intersection calculations for lighting

Because of the above, the DPU gives the PS4 and XB1 an additional advantage over dGPUs in PCs.

TensilicaFigure1.jpg

http://www.bdti.com/InsideDSP/2013/03/14/Tensilica

Only 1.4 years too early this time.

Jeff Rigby's Secret Sauce is now in the mix?

Here we go.
The same or similar hardware are in AMD APUs, the XB1 and for sure in Carizzio and the new VR dGPUs. OpenVX calls can use this hardware.

I speculated that GTA would use this hardware (OpenVX had just been released by Khronos) and I was wrong. Why didn't Sony provide APIs to this hardware including True Audio with developers still using a CPU for Audio...why a little over a 1 year wait; because there were too few platforms supporting it and easy game ports to PCs wouldn't want to use the new and rare hardware. If this is true then AMD and Microsoft will support this about October too. This hardware (Xtensa accelerators) can also support HEVC, and parts of the UHD Blu-ray digital bridge.

4K gaming is already here.

I was referring to consoles.

Devs need to target a spec, and that will likely be the better PS4, which means current PS4 owners get a worse version of a given game on the same platform. There will not be PS4. There will be a PS4 and a better PS4. It fractures customer base, games, performance, media coverage, you name it. It divides a platform into two systems.

You really think that most publishers are going to neglect 37+ million PS4 owners in favor of an upgraded console just because of more graphics? Ha, ha ha ha, ha!

Most people seem to (still) think that switching from the current gen medium-high 1080p/30fps to high-ultra 1080p/60fps would be easy and achievable with a $400 machine.

/shrug

Most people seem to (still) think that switching from the current gen medium-high 1080p/30fps to high-ultra 1080p/60fps would be easy and achievable with a $400 machine.

/shrug
If the big marketing push for it will be 4K you can bet Sony and 3rd parties will prioritise going for higher resolutions over 60fps.

Not sure how much actual graphical quality will improve but I guess I can see things being a bit better

Ohhh. What if the new hardware can actually take advantage of SSDs finally? THAT would actually be a game changer.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
PS4K is a good name and probably good for marketing even though the system would never actually be able to push 4K for most games.

I can imagine it working well with Netflix's UHD videos.

Where is the $400 figure coming from?

The Know claimed that the updated Ps4 would hit this Fall at $400. People seem to have latched onto that number.

Personally, I think $500 is more likely. Establish this SKU as a meaningful advancement in the tech, and significantly different from the existing units.

I didn't post in that thread, but sorry GAF doubted you! Actually a lot of those replies were pretty rude and condescending.

Maybe it just goes to show how crazy this idea was just like a month or two ago even and how unbelievable it was.
Yeah. That was straight up asshole behavior from most people in that thread. And that modbot lock post is downright insulting.

bitbydeath

The Know claimed that the updated Ps4 would hit this Fall at $400. People seem to have latched onto that number.

Personally, I think $500 is more likely. Establish this SKU as a meaningful advancement in the tech, and significantly different from the existing units.

Saw that one, thought I might have missed someone a bit more credible saying it.

Yeah I can totally see $500.

I think if the current PS4 is staying around indefinitely then I can see them charging 500 for PS4K and 300 for PS4 regular (maybe in a slim model by the holidays)

A 100 price difference would be a bit too close. At that point they are probably better off phasing out the current PS4 entirely and only sell the PS4k after old stock is sold off.

onQ123

$500 would be a dumb move at the moment if they plan for it to be the new standard PS4.

I think it's going to be from $349 - $399.

& $399 might be because it's going to be a 1TB HDD or the PlayStation Camera packed in.

bitbydeath

$500 would be a dumb move at the moment if they plan for it to be the new standard PS4.

Wouldn't the standard be the current SKU and the 4K be the high end model?

The only way PS4K would be the standard is if they stop selling the current SKU and leave only the 4K version on shelves.

Having a high end model likely means it will be priced as such.

They are a public company. They can't comment on rumors and speculation, because their responses can cause changes in their stock value [and other disruptions].

Current situation for all 3 upcoming platforms is:

• Nintendo vaguely talked that "NX platform" will try to unify development between different hardware SKUs, which could be interpreted not only as handheld <> home console unification, but also cross-generational.
  • Microsoft straight up openly promised they will start doing mid-generational upgrades. Since they are not doing so hot with Xbone, that is a move that could benefit them much if it gets executed well.
    Phil Spencer: "You'll actually see us come out with new hardware capability during a generation allowing the same games to run backward and forward compatible..."
  • Sony is currently experiencing a stream of leaks that paint a broad picture of a upgraded PS4 console that can run the same basic PS4 games. We don't know if this will be via smaller PS4 APU that can run on higher clockspeeds, or via brand new stronger APU that uses Polaris GPU module.

As it stands now, all 3 console platform holders are seemingly moving toward the same goal - establishing platforms that can host applications that are not tied to specific hardware.

While PS4K can still be just a higher clocked PS4 APU inside "PS4 Slim" body, Xbone definetley needs much stronger hardware. They will IMO 100% opt for a brand new APU.

This gentleman is certainly on the right track. Platform as a service model is what everyone wants while consoles are still around

Top Bottom