• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone considered yet that the two detachable controllers might not actually be two controllers?

Perhaps its like two halves of a single controller, so that when the console is docked you "snap" them off and put them together so you can play from the couch using a standard gamepad?

Ths is what I am assuming as well.

G.ZZZ

Well, assuming the article has some credibility, I think that particular element is probably wrong. I don't see a way that can work without severely hindering the gameplay experience

It was strange to me, but if u assume those controllers are insertable it's possible, check my post on the last page. I agree that having just one controller attached would make for less compromises and a significantly smaller form factor

Jackano

I think it's more correct to say they want 3rd party support. But, the truth is that even if Nintendo released a 6TF console at 300$, it would still get the same amount of 3rd party support that the rumored X1 handheld will. Power was never a problem.

Power is one problem among others why Nintendo systems hardly enters studios product pipelines.

maxcriden

Well, assuming the article has some credibility, I think that particular element is probably wrong. I don't see a way that can work without severely hindering the gameplay experience

I share your same concern, but in addition to what G.ZZZ wrote above me, as well as some other possible scenarios people have bandied about regarding how it could work, I'm guessing Nintendo might also be wary that if you lose 1/2 your controller you might not have a controller at all for the NX at home (unclear if a buildable controller would serve as the primary at home controller or not), or on the go, whereas at least if you lost one of the two detachable controllers, you could still play with a full remaining controller using the other, and it's also hard for me to picture there being replacement left side and replacement right side SKUs if they're not identical on each side of the proposed buildable controller. Just spitballing here; like you I think a buildable single controller could potentially be cooler and make more sense.

ksamedi

I loved the two controller setup of the Wii. Why would having two controller parts be any problem? If they are motion sensitive as well I could see Nintendo making a lot of casual stuff as well (Wii sports on the go) they have some patents with replaceable d-pads and stuff. İt will work out nicely.

KAL2006

Banned
It would be great if Gamefreak made a port of their latest mainline Pokemon perhaps the port can be the 3rd version to Sun and Moon. Call it Eclipse. This way NX gets a Pokemon game within the first year and Gamefreak is just making a port so it's not a big financial risk. I think Gamefreak has done this before by making Crystal GBC exclusive. This way Gamefreak has experience with the hardware to get them ready for the next gen Pokemon game similar to how Naughty Dog made a The Last of Us port in preparation for Uncharted 4.

Hermii

This was my initial expectation, but Eurogamer tweeted after their article that the controllers are specifically two separate, individual detachable controllers.

I wonder if this is the quote I've been looking for. Do you have it handy? I thought Iwata-san had said something about Wii U VC architecture being absorbed or carried forward to future systems.

When I read the quote again I am not really sure what he is talking about, except I am more convinced the NX is not Nintendos only new system on the horizon. I think Nintendo is working on more than one Tegra based system.

Edit: Or There was several systems planned back in 2014 which later morphed into a hybrid.
Iwata said:
For example, currently it requires a huge amount of effort to port Wii software to Nintendo 3DS because not only their resolutions but also the methods of software development are entirely different. The same thing happens when we try to port Nintendo 3DS software to Wii U. If the transition of software from platform to platform can be made simpler, this will help solve the problem of game shortages in the launch periods of new platforms. Also, as technological advances took place at such a dramatic rate, and we were forced to choose the best technologies for video games under cost restrictions, each time we developed a new platform, we always ended up developing a system that was completely different from its predecessor. The only exception was when we went from Nintendo GameCube to Wii. Though the controller changed completely, the actual computer and graphics chips were developed very smoothly as they were very similar to those of Nintendo GameCube, but all the other systems required ground-up effort. However, I think that we no longer need this kind of effort under the current circumstances. In this perspective, while we are only going to be able to start this with the next system, it will become important for us to accurately take advantage of what we have done with the Wii U architecture. It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems.

MuchoMalo

Banned
It would be great if Gamefreak made a port of their latest mainline Pokemon perhaps the port can be the 3rd version to Sun and Moon. Call it Eclipse. This way NX gets a Pokemon game within the first year and Gamefreak is just making a port so it's not a big financial risk. I think Gamefreak has done this before by making Crystal GBC exclusive. This way Gamefreak has experience with the hardware to get them ready for the next gen Pokemon game similar to how Naughty Dog made a The Last of Us port in preparation for Uncharted 4.

This only works if NX can communicate with 3DS both locally and online. That might not be possible, especially online if they're overhauling it.

maxcriden

When I read the quote again I am not really sure what he is talking about, except I am more convinced the NX is not Nintendos only new system on the horizon. I think Nintendo is working on more than one Tegra based system.

Hmm, yeah, that is quite difficult to discern. I'm sure it was intentionally oblique...anyway, thank you for the quote!

Edit: Or There was several systems planned back in 2014 which later morphed into a hybrid.

Jackano

This has been pretty obvious for some time. The only question was, what will be the first form factor...
Although "Tegra based system", I'm not sure. On the long term, I think "ARM based SoC" is the safest common denominator.

People will refuse to believe this, but it's the truth.

It would be ideal if Nintendo removed as many barriers to ports as possible (power being one, though relatively minor). If the NX takes off with great success, power parity would surely make AAA ports seem more palatable.

If the Wii could output HD graphics the third party ports likely would've done a lot better than the fairly gimped ones did.

Dystify

I've seen discussion here how Pokemon would be on NX and some were rather sceptical how it'd turn out, but after seeing the latest trailer and these high resolution GIFs I'm sure Gamefreak will be able to handle it.

1470064649-1.gif

1470064793-2.gif

1470064920-3.gif

(Images from http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=212122755&postcount=806)

To be honest, I would be happy with Pokemon Sun/Moon with this resolution on NX. A lot of the background art/textures will need to be upped in resolution though. It's extremely low res in a lot of parts.

I share your same concern, but in addition to what G.ZZZ wrote above me, as well as some other possible scenarios people have bandied about regarding how it could work, I'm guessing Nintendo might also be wary that if you lose 1/2 your controller you might not have a controller at all for the NX at home (unclear if a buildable controller would serve as the primary at home controller or not), or on the go, whereas at least if you lost one of the two detachable controllers, you could still play with a full remaining controller using the other, and it's also hard for me to picture there being replacement left side and replacement right side SKUs if they're not identical on each side of the proposed buildable controller. Just spitballing here; like you I think a buildable single controller could potentially be cooler and make more sense.
I think it's far more practical to have two separate skus for left and right controller halves than it is to try and sell a controller with three batteries at a mass-market price. The only possible way I can see the detachable controllers thing actually work is if they don't function when they are attached. It would have to be a tablet that props up and can only be played in that way; not in the way traditional handhelds are typically.

Galava

To be honest, I would be happy with Pokemon Sun/Moon with this resolution on NX. A lot of the background art/textures will need to be upped in resolution though. It's extremely low res in a lot of parts.

3DS emulators can already play 3DS games at 1080p resolution, the only thing that look "bad" is the UI. I would personally prefer a SunMoon version for NX if we don't have a 2017 pokémon game; if they make another game, please do it on NX.

RedSwirl

Started thinking about what kinds of third party software could draw big audiences to what's basically looking like a high-end gaming tablet.

I already mentioned that theoretically someone could get GTA V running on this thing, and it would be really cool for Nintendo to have the only portable version of that game. What do you think is the likelihood of EA trying to put Madden and FIFA on NX? I imagine they'll try it for at least one year, and it would definitely be the best portable Madden/FIFA ever, on a tablet. Though would that be enough to pull enough people away from the "good enough" mobile Madden and FIFA?

And Nintendo needs to at least try to get Minecraft, Angry Birds, Clash of Clans, etc., on NX. I'm not saying open the mobile floodgates, but at least get the most popular games on there in addition to Nintendo's own IPs.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Since this is the general NX thread now, more material on the support matter

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-08-01-ubisoft-our-vr-games-will-be-profitable

Another new technology that Ubisoft is excited to support is the Nintendo NX. Of course, Nintendo has yet to say anything at all about its new hardware while the rumor mill continues to present plenty of plausible possibilities, but Corre assures me that Ubisoft is gearing up for a slate of titles beyond Just Dance.

"We announced that we're developing Just Dance for NX and we have other surprises that we will announce later, but we also believe Nintendo has the power to reinvent the way families are playing,"
Corre tells me. "Nintendo is a fantastic powerhouse of brands that are really cherished by a lot of fans and families... I am still impressed by the reoccurrence of success and appetite even today for the Nintendo franchises on the current system."

So, yeah, after ZhugeEX's tweet I mentioned days ago, now directly from one of UBisoft's heads.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It also pretty much confirms no plans for core games... meaning that they might as well be announcing nothing as far as I'm concerned.

It seems you didn't read ZhugeEX's tweet from a month ago, while jumping to conclusions as usual :p

Clessidor

I can remember ZhugeEX said on of them was announced a while back and was at E3 this year. But thinking about NX seems to be around Wii U power level, which game would be likely to be portet?

Truespeed

According to his videos, he believes porting from ARM to x86 is easier than porting from x86 to ARM. So he believes that the NX console would play handheld games and the handheld won't play all the console games. Also, it requires less porting work for third parties to port their XB1/PS4/PC games to the NX console if it's x86 instead of ARM.

ARM CPU's are better than any x86 chip inside the PS4, XB1, XB1S and Neo. The A72 would be incredible for a console especially at 14nm and clocked above 2.0Ghz.

Edit: Also, his main argument is most third party game engines are designed for the lead platforms (PS4 and Xbox One) which use x86. Therefore, it's imperative NX is also x86 if they want to reduce as many barriers as possible to getting AAA third party support.

The only AAA engine that really matters is Unreal and judging from their Protostar demo, using Vulkan, it's pretty impressive what can now be done on an Android powered phone. Demo

Here's another video showing Vulkan vs OpenGL performance on Android Demo

MuchoMalo

Banned
It seems you didn't read ZhugeEX's tweet from a month ago, while jumping to conclusions as usual :p

His tweet changes nothing. Ubisoft is calling it a family platform, not a platform for everyone. Thus, they will focus on family-oriented games for it. Simple as that imo.

I've seen discussion here how Pokemon would be on NX and some were rather sceptical how it'd turn out, but after seeing the latest trailer and these high resolution GIFs I'm sure Gamefreak will be able to handle it.

1470064649-1.gif

1470064793-2.gif

1470064920-3.gif

(Images from http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=212122755&postcount=806)

Pokemon NX is going to be great looking, XY was mainly them cutting their teeth on 3D.

Neoxon

1470064649-1.gif

1470064793-2.gif

1470064920-3.gif

3DS emulators can already play 3DS games at 1080p resolution, the only thing that look "bad" is the UI. I would personally prefer a SunMoon version for NX if we don't have a 2017 pokémon game; if they make another game, please do it on NX.
But the main issue that would prevent a Sun/Moon port for the NX is trading with the 3DS version, which may be a deal-breaker for Game Freak. I'm not expecting Game Freak to bother with the NX until Gen 8 (probably for a 2018 release), unless they figure out a way to get NX-3DS local trading to work. And besides, Game Freak aren't strangers to staying on older hardware even after Nintendo abandoned ship (see Gen 5).

But the main issue that would prevent a Sun/Moon port for the NX is trading with the 3DS version, which may be a deal-breaker for Game Freak. I'm not expecting Game Freak to bother with the NX until Gen 8 (probably for a 2018 release), unless they figure out a way to get NX-3DS local trading to work. And besides, Game Freak aren't strangers to staying on older hardware even after Nintendo abandoned ship (see Gen 5).
How can you say that without knowing what the NX is and what it can do are you serious?

Neoxon

How can you say that without knowing what the NX is and what it can do are you serious?
Eurogamer mentioned the lack of backwards compatibility, & I described NX-3DS connectivity as what may likely be the make-or-break thing for Game Freak making an NX port of Sun/Moon (who prides their mainline Pokémon games on being able to trade with anyone who has a Gen [Insert Number Here] game). Plus, as stated earlier, Game Freak doesn't have the best track record for adopting new hardware early on. I never said that it won't work, I'm just saying that Nintendo & Game Freak have to make it work.

Though to be fair, Gen 5 was able to get away with being on the DS thanks to the 3DS's backwards compatibility with DS games.

kagamin

Eurogamer mentioned the lack of backwards compatibility, & I described NX-3DS connectivity as what may likely be the make-or-break thing for Game Freak making an NX port of Sun/Moon (who prides their mainline Pokémon games on being able to trade with anyone who has a Gen [Insert Number Here] game). Plus, as stated earlier, Game Freak doesn't have the best track record for adopting new hardware early on. I never said that it won't work, I'm just saying that Nintendo & Game Freak have to make it work.

Though to be fair, Gen 5 was able to get away with being on the DS thanks to the 3DS's backwards compatibility with DS games.

Uhh what about Pokébank for NX? :p Wouldn't that solve the problem?

Not really. I'm talking about in-game trading with someone else who has Sun/Moon booted up.

One would think that NNIDs and My Nintendo would potentially solve this (if NX uses them going forward as indicated) but Shocking Alberto has previously said that the Super Mario Maker NX port is unlikely because they're having trouble transferring over user made levels. That and trading Pokemon seem like similar hurdles I guess, so you may be right.

KingBroly

Banned

There's a reason why Pokemon Bank is a thing

Why wouldnt it be able to connect to 3DS-NX? why?

Not really. I'm talking about in-game trading with someone else who has Sun/Moon booted up. That said, it'll definitely help people transition to Gen 8.

When we've seen cross platform play multiplayer games like Monster Hunter 3 on 3ds/Wii u I'm not sure what makes Pokémon so hard to pull off.

I doubt it will launch with a mainline pokemon game but I don't think a simple high resolution port would be too bad, the games have low fi art partly by choice rather than just hw constraints, like the complete lack of texture filtering which you won't find on any other 3DS game (probably)

Neoxon

There's a reason why Pokemon Bank is a thing
Again, that's not really applicable for peer-to-peer trading in-game. And even then, there's still the issue of Game Freak taking their sweet time to transition to newer hardware. Granted, Nintendo could get another studio to do the port, but you get the idea (& that's if they get NX-3DS trading to work).

Neoxon

Why wouldnt it be able to connect to 3DS-NX? why?
When we've seen cross platform play multiplayer games like Monster Hunter 3 on 3ds/Wii u I'm not sure what makes Pokémon so hard to pull off.
This is what has me concerned.
One would think that NNIDs and My Nintendo would potentially solve this (if NX uses them going forward as indicated) but Shocking Alberto has previously said that the Super Mario Maker NX port is unlikely because they're having trouble transferring over user made levels. That and trading Pokemon seem like similar hurdles I guess, so you may be right.

Akki

Exactly, there was also no way Game Freak would skip the 3rd version, right?

I remember you said there´s no chance that Bayonetta will be in smash and Pokken will get no DLC. Times change.

Anarky

Banned

1470064649-1.gif

1470064793-2.gif

1470064920-3.gif

I sort of imagine the next Pokémon on NX looking close to Pokken's graphical quality but slightly more stylized.

Because this

That statement was made in 2013 when Nintendo restructured and just combined the Handheld and Console divisions. This was his goals that he wanted out of combining both of them. The NX was probably barely in the prototyping phase considering Nintendo's focus were on the Wii U and also the 3DS revisions.

Things change and the big takeaway is more "we're building hardware and tools that will use the same architecture and make mobile and console development easier" and not "we're not building a handheld/console hybrid device."

We literally had this thread right here about how Nintendo didn't rule out the possibility of a hybrid device.

No backwards compatibility just means that the NX can't run 3DS software. Local multiplayer protocol is a completely different animal. If the communication protocol is compatible then it should be possible to connect. Heck, you can use a 3DS as a controller for Smash 4 on Wii U and that's practically the same thing.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I sort of imagine the next Pokémon on NX looking close to Pokken's graphical quality but slightly more stylized.

There's no reason to believe that Game Freak would try to copy another company's art style, nor is there reason to believe that they would redo all of the Pokemon models.

AzaK

His tweet changes nothing. Ubisoft is calling it a family platform, not a platform for everyone. Thus, they will focus on family-oriented games for it. Simple as that imo.

I think it's pretty clear that this is more of a "family" system first and foremost - anything less that 28TFlops is basically family in the eyes of the industry and gamers. However I don't think, assuming Nintendo can get within spitting distance of XBO that it can't get a reasonably amount of overlap wrt the types of games it can handle. It all depends on whether that is sufficient for gamers to buy games on the system for.....my feelings is that it's not. Any gamer who is looking for "power" oriented hardware just stacks things up side by side in ascending order and picks the entry within their budget :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom