• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why have the controllers disconnect? Why not just have a wireless controller that is able to wirelessly connect to the docking station like a normal console. Not sure why they make this so complicated, wouldn't it be cheaper in the end just to have a handheld and regular controllers for the dock?

sfried

WE agree no 3rd party support. I'm not counting the small possibility some gimped full priced version of an already released 3rd party AAA title makes it to the NX. That just doesn't count.
When that small number becomes larger, though, I wonder when it will begin to matter. The Wii did have a significant number of those ports, until eventually every new release also had its very own special Wii version (which took advantage of the controller gimmicks, for better or worse).

RedSwirl

WE agree no 3rd party support. I'm not counting the small possibility some gimped full priced version of an already released 3rd party AAA title makes it to the NX. That just doesn't count.

Oh it'll get continuations of what's happening right now on the 3DS: Monster Hunter, Ace Attorney, Atlus Dungeon Crawlers, a Square Enix RPG here or there (probably Dragon Quest XI). If Nintendo's lucky some of those Vita developers will move over too, or maybe we'll just get more games launching on Vita and NX since the two might be in the same ballpark power-wise.

Another good point. Sun/Moon would have been out for 4 months by the time the NX drops, so the hype would have died down by then.

That said, I'd love for Game Freak to have Gen 8 ready for the NX for Late 2017, but I'm not getting hopes up. As for a Gen 1 remake (again), as stated earlier, Gen 4 is next in line for a remake. Plus there likely won't be much GO hype to capitalize on by the time the NX rolls by.
What does Pokemon Go hype have to do with anything? And I'm suggesting, if they can't get Gen 8 ready on time, try remaking/rebooting with only the first 150.
With the biggest generational leep, keep it simple but take the next step. Do like OoT, Which is basically a reboot/remake of LTTP.
If they can't make it for next year id hope:
If they really want to make one more 3DS game, make sure it's not just for it. A port or something is fine.
Or they skip next year to make sure the new Gen 8 is very impressive

I think it's a bit much to hope for Pokemon in 2017. At most (and what I think will happen) we will get Sun/Moon re-release on NX either straight port or with some additions and that will be the holdover until the next one.

Ok yeah my bad. I agree. I think a big reason for Nintendo combining their software development in this way will be so that they can conceivably support it all by themselves.
it's what I've always said. They should 100% assume they'll never ever get third party support. If they do then great. That's why a system they can develop games for quickly all in one library is key.

tr1p1ex

When that small number becomes larger, though, I wonder when it will begin to matter. The Wii did have a significant number of those ports, until eventually every new release also had its very own special Wii version (which took advantage of the controller gimmicks, for better or worse).

The Wii versions of those games sold like sht. You're talking 120Kish max sales for Madden Wii during any one year despite its massive install base.

I think the lesson learned from the Wii by western AAA 3rd party publishers is that their audience didn't follow to that console and the Wii's audience didn't care for their games or the versions of their games that they made. Madden's audience was fine with their games on the other systems because of better graphics, features and online service etc. I think that lesson is hard to overcome without Nintendo doing an about face. And they aren't doing an about face with the NX.

So even if an NX takes off like the Wii I doubt those games will follow like they did with the Wii and even if they did, you aren't going to get "real" versions of those games. And you can't discount the fact that all those developers/publishers already had engines running on the GAmecube which made ports easy.
Wii U got some love initially because of the Wii's popularity and because port costs were low due to a similar architecture as the Wii. But that quickly faded.

Those games just don't and won't have an audience on the NX. Thus you aren't going to see them on the NX.

Neoxon

What does Pokemon Go hype have to do with anything? And I'm suggesting, if they can't get Gen 8 ready on time, try remaking/rebooting with only the first 150.
With the biggest generational leep, keep it simple but take the next step. Do like OoT, Which is basically a reboot/remake of LTTP.
If they can't make it for next year id hope:
If they really want to make one more 3DS game, make sure it's not just for it. A port or something is fine.
Or they skip next year to make sure the new Gen 8 is very impressive
People use GO as the popular justification for making a Gen 1 remake.

That aside, Game Freak has done more than their fair share of Gen 1 pandering in X/Y, so I'm not sure if a Gen 1 remake is really necessary right now. And I doubt that Game Freak is looking to reboot the franchise anytime soon.

As for Game Freak themselves, they seem to do whatever they want (more or less), so I'm not sure if they're bound to whatever Nintendo has planned. If they do end up making something mainline Pokémon-related for the NX early on, great. But I'm not gonna get my hopes up for it.

I would place my bet on a Diamond/Pearl remake for NX before gen 8.
FTFY. And even then, I feel like they'll wait until they hit the NX to do a Gen 4 remake (especially since they didn't do a Gen 3 remake during the Black/White days).

tr1p1ex

Oh it'll get continuations of what's happening right now on the 3DS: Monster Hunter, Ace Attorney, Atlus Dungeon Crawlers, a Square Enix RPG here or there (probably Dragon Quest XI). If Nintendo's lucky some of those Vita developers will move over too, or maybe we'll just get more games launching on Vita and NX since the two might be in the same ballpark power-wise.

Yeah Japanese 3rd party support. Western 3rd party family and licensed games. That's how Nintendo's market is pegged by the west.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Anyway let me crush some dreams.

You aren't going to see GTA V. Nor AAA western support.

Not going to be as powerful as the X1. Be lucky if it is noticeably more powerful than the Wii U.

Not going to be a multimedia power house. Not Nintendo's forte. Don't expect more than Netflix, YouTube and Amazon.
Going out on a limb here, Slugger.

dano1

A Sheep
There isn't a weird control scheme this time around. I'd argue the Wii U wasn't weird either.

On the move, NX will function as a high-powered handheld console with its own display. So far so normal - but here's the twist: we've heard the screen is bookended by two controller sections on either side, which can be attached or detached as required.

Kind of sure twist means weird :)

Malakai

The Wii versions of those games sold like sht. You're talking 120Kish max sales for Madden Wii during any one year despite its massive install base.

I think the lesson learned from the Wii by western AAA 3rd party publishers is that their audience didn't follow to that console and the Wii's audience didn't care for their games or the versions of their games that they made. Madden's audience was fine with their games on the other systems because of better graphics, features and online service etc. I think that lesson is hard to overcome without Nintendo doing an about face. And they aren't doing an about face with the NX.

So even if an NX takes off like the Wii I doubt those games will follow like they did with the Wii and even if they did, you aren't going to get "real" versions of those games. And you can't discount the fact that all those developers/publishers already had engines running on the GAmecube which made ports easy.
Wii U got some love initially because of the Wii's popularity and because port costs were low due to a similar architecture as the Wii. But that quickly faded.

Those games just don't and won't have an audience on the NX. Thus you aren't going to see them on the NX.

From my understanding of the Madden situation with the Wii is that one its sale tail was bit longer than the Xbox 360 and PS3. Second, the later version basically changed the game up the "All Play" edition which was panned by the "core" Madden players on the Wii.

KrawlMan

On the move, NX will function as a high-powered handheld console with its own display. So far so normal - but here's the twist: we've heard the screen is bookended by two controller sections on either side, which can be attached or detached as required.

Kind of sure twist means weird :)

It's turning a device from a tablet / phone form factor to that of a standard handheld. It's a twist but neither usage is weird or unfamiliar.

antonz

From my understanding of the Madden situation with the Wii is that one its sale tail was bit longer than the Xbox 360 and PS3. Second, the later version basically changed the game up the "All Play" edition which was panned by the "core" Madden players on the Wii.

Madden NFL did fantastic on Wii its first year. EA however instead of correcting the flaws with the first version decided every year after to keep trying to reinvent the game with worse and worse ideas.

It was self inflicted sabotage for any sort of future sales.

BD1

Banned
Madden NFL did fantastic on Wii its first year. EA however instead of correcting the flaws with the first version decided every year after to keep trying to reinvent the game with worse and worse ideas.

It was self inflicted sabotage for any sort of future sales.

The cartoon look of 2010 was a pretty terrible idea.

Mory Dunz

Yeah Japanese 3rd party support. Western 3rd party family and licensed games. That's how Nintendo's market is pegged by the west.

And Lego. That about wraps it up
I know it's "family" but there's so many dang lego games it almost gets its own category.

Yeah, there's gonna be no western AAA support outside of a random port or two every 4 years.

That ship is sailed so I'm curious about Japanese support. We know the games it's likely to get. But what about future Final Fantasys? Resident Evils (unlikely but Wii U and 3ds got one I suupose), and stuff like Street Fighter?

Eff, what about Kindgom Hearts?
"NX" should be trying to get those games.

I thought Madden and CoD sold well for some time,
Not that they would now, but your history seems off. I'm off to the retro sales thread to check.

Neoxon

And Lego. That about wraps it up
I know it's "family" but there's so many dang lego games it almost gets its own category.

Yeah, there's gonna be no western AAA support outside of a random port or two every 4 years.

That ship is sailed so I'm curious about Japanese support. We know the games it's likely to get. But what about future Final Fantasys? Resident Evils (unlikely but Wii U and 3ds got one I suupose), and stuff like Street Fighter?

Eff, what about Kindgom Hearts?
"NX" should be trying to get those games.

I thought Madden and CoD sold well for some time,
Not that they would now, but your history seems off. I'm off to the retro sales thread to check.
Thanks to the deal Capcom made with Sony to speed up development of Street Fighter V, don't expect that game to go anywhere besides the PS4 & PC (that includes any future compilation discs, such as a Season 1 Collection, that may come out) unless Nintendo somehow manages to strike a deal with Sony. Street Fighter V is one of the PS4's biggest eSports games (aired on ESPN 2, a shit-ton of views on Twitch, entrants that dwarf the other fighting games on most occasions, etc.), & I don't think Sony's gonna give it up that easily. You could argue that Nintendo could go for a port of Ultra Street Fighter IV instead, but that game is pretty much dead, now. Resident Evil on the other hand is a franchise that I could see Capcom putting on the NX at least once. Final Fantasy may be a bit of a tricky one to speculate on since if the docked NX doesn't reach Xbox One levels, it may fall short of what Square Enix may want out of their mainline FF games. Though in the case of the FFVII Remake, maybe it'll get ported after the PS4's timed exclusivity period since UE4 is pretty scaleable.

Mory Dunz

Thanks to the deal Capcom made with Sony to speed up development of Street Fighter V, don't expect that game to go anywhere besides the PS4 & PC (that includes any future compilation discs, such as a Season 1 Collection, that may come out) unless Nintendo somehow manages to strike a deal with Sony. Street Fighter V is one of the PS4's biggest eSports games, & I don't think Sony's gonna give it up that easily. You could argue that Nintendo could go for a port of Ultra Street Fighter IV instead, but that game is pretty much dead, now. Resident Evil on the other hand is a franchise that I could see Capcom putting on the NX at least once. Final Fantasy may be a bit of a tricky one to speculate on since if the docked NX doesn't reach Xbox One levels, it may fall short of what Square Enix may want out of their mainline FF games. Though in the case of the FFVII Remake, maybe it'll get ported after the PS4's timed exclusivity period since UE4 is pretty scaleable.

I wasn't talking about SFV. Just the future franchise.

But yeah I agree with what you're saying

Neoxon

I wasn't talking about SFV. Just the future franchise.

But yeah I agree with what you're saying
Street Fighter VI likely won't be a thing for another 7 or so years since Capcom's staying the course for long-term support of SFV (which will likely entail for 5 years of DLC counting Season 1 & 2 extra years of SFV Capcom Pro Tour support). By then, we'll probably be on the 2nd wave of NX hardware. It's a shame, since I would have loved to practice SFV during long car rides.

Speaking of Street Fighter, I'd love for Nintendo to start doing Arcade games on the Virtual Console again so we can get Super Turbo & Third Strike.

Snakeyes

Time to reignite some dreams here;

Nearly full western third party support as long as the hardware is capable enough.

Will be noticeably more powerful than the Wii U.

Robust app support due to an Android type OS.

I have zero sources for these, but there's no need to be overly pessimistic until we see the system, people.

Neoxon

Nearly full western third party support as long as the hardware is capable enough.

I have zero sources for these, but there's no need to be overly pessimistic until we see the system, people.
Didn't Eurogamer explicitly rule out the possibility of Android being used as the base of the NX's OS?

KrawlMan

The pessimism is a strategy to prevent being let down once again. Expecting loads of support and competitive hardware is not sensible given the history.

I want a lot of things from Nintendos systems, but I'd be a fool to expect a lot of them. If they turn up I'll be pleased.

Speely

Banned
Didn't Eurogamer explicitly rule out the possibility of Android being used as the base of the NX's OS?

They said "one source" told them that it would be a fully Ninty, non-Android OS, iirc.

Edit: Which is probably safe to believe, given Eurogamer's and Nintendo's track records in regard to insider scoops and operating systems, respectively.

Neoxon

The pessimism is a strategy to prevent being let down once again. Expecting loads of support and competitive hardware is not sensible given the history.

I want a lot of things from Nintendos systems, but I'd be a fool to expect a lot of them. If they turn up I'll be pleased.
This. Pessimism helps prevent disappointment & maximizes hype whenever something you want ends up making the cut.

Good support might be a better #1 point. It's probably guaranteed to get what Wii U got, but not much more (for now)
I don't see android happening, maybe making it easy to port from android, but full up android support is a potentially dangerous gateway for hackers/pirates.
A for pessimism vs optimism, I get not wanting to be disappointed but going "I'm expecting the absolute worst" isn't really good speculation. The truth is often in between

MuchoMalo

Banned
I didn't specifically mention whether the unit would overclock or not when docked as I was just talking about getting more power with a dual-dock system. What I would like to see is a system that clocks up when docked, but ALSO having a dual dock system. So based on what people have said so far, we might get a 500GFlops handheld and then start getting up to 800-1TFflop when docked (Probably with active cooling). Add in the ability to dock another device and you start to hit some good floppages when all's said and done. Obviously it's not the same as one device doing it all, but could be a way to allow the power hungry gamer to get what they want, while enabling the units to act alone for families - assuming price is managed of course.

The dock itself, if not augmented may be pretty cheap to make. Power, HDMI, couple of external USB with 2 USB-C/Thunderbolt ports for docking up to 2 units. There's work to be done on the API of course to present this to developers, and the bandwidth won't be as high as RAM but it would certainly start looking mighty attractive.

I'm not sure how much removing screen and controls would save but they could even do a "dumb" unit that you dock along with the real one, which is effectively just control logic, RAM and GPU, although that would add another SKU which may confuse things.

If I was looking at getting an NX, something like I proposed would be VERY attractive and I would personally pay US$399 for that setup. I could game with XBO/PS4 level graphics, and then me, my wife or children could have their own personal game machines for living room/bed play etc.

Here's the thing: To even match Xbone using two systems, you need active cooling in the dock. This would necessitate a very large dock. In addition, your set-up would be ridiculously hard to develop for, and maybe 2-3% of users would actually buy two for that purpose. It's really just not a good or feasible idea compared to just putting a GPU in a separate version of the dock, which can put it well above PS4 for a total cost of $300-350, depending on how much the base pack costs. Also, there's no way you're getting a 1 TFLOPS chip in the tablet for $250. Realistically, the best cast for an X2-based chip with active cooling and somehow reaching 15+W is 717 GFLOPS, which sounds fine when you have two but you can't count on perfect scaling due to how much work that requires.

Doctre81

Ok just found out something very interesting. The man that will be showing off the tegra next at hotchips this month was also one of the graphics hardware architects for the gamecube.

NeonZ

Not sure if Sun and Moon being an impressive step forward after a year of skipping releases is a sign that the tech is being put in use or if it's a worrying sign that they put a lot of work into a 3DS engine and they'd like to get more out of it.
I thought it would be interesting to kind of reboot the franchise with a remake of Red...again, but with better visuals, free form camera, maybe new combat, etc.
TL;DR:
Staying on 3DS has fewer benefits, does more damage due to lack of BC, and It's important for NX to have a good launch year

I don't get why people think that connectivity between a theoretical gen 7 NX Pokemon game and the 3ds Sun & Moon would be problematic. It'd be all wireless and Pokemone's gameplay isn't even in real time. They could roll gen 7 into the NX with better resolution and textures without many issues, before jumping into a completely new gen.

Neoxon

I don't get why people think that connectivity between a theoretical gen 7 NX Pokemon game and the 3ds Sun & Moon would be problematic. It'd be all wireless and Pokemone's gameplay isn't even in real time. They could roll gen 7 into the NX with better resolution and textures without many issues, before jumping into a completely new gen.
As stated earlier, the issue could be the fact that the 3DS uses a completely dated online infrastructure (even in comparison to the Wii U) thanks to its now-defunct Friend Code system. And thanks to Super Mario Maker's NX port being rumored to not happen due to issues with the NX version interacting with the Wii U version very well, this is where my fears stem from concerning NX-3DS local trading for Pokémon. And besides, it's not like Game Freak really cares about getting on new platforms early (as shown by Black/White). You could argue that Nintendo's more serious about making sure the NX succeeds, but Sun/Moon would be 4 months old by the time the NX comes out, & I doubt that Game Freak would give the NX versions exclusive features or built-in DLC from the start (since mainline Pokémon games don't really do paid DLC, though PokéBank is more of a service than anything else) to sweeten the deal.

I didn't specifically mention whether the unit would overclock or not when docked as I was just talking about getting more power with a dual-dock system. What I would like to see is a system that clocks up when docked, but ALSO having a dual dock system. So based on what people have said so far, we might get a 500GFlops handheld and then start getting up to 800-1TFflop when docked (Probably with active cooling). Add in the ability to dock another device and you start to hit some good floppages when all's said and done. Obviously it's not the same as one device doing it all, but could be a way to allow the power hungry gamer to get what they want, while enabling the units to act alone for families - assuming price is managed of course.

The dock itself, if not augmented may be pretty cheap to make. Power, HDMI, couple of external USB with 2 USB-C/Thunderbolt ports for docking up to 2 units. There's work to be done on the API of course to present this to developers, and the bandwidth won't be as high as RAM but it would certainly start looking mighty attractive.

I'm not sure how much removing screen and controls would save but they could even do a "dumb" unit that you dock along with the real one, which is effectively just control logic, RAM and GPU, although that would add another SKU which may confuse things.

If I was looking at getting an NX, something like I proposed would be VERY attractive and I would personally pay US$399 for that setup. I could game with XBO/PS4 level graphics, and then me, my wife or children could have their own personal game machines for living room/bed play etc.
I wouldn't get your hopes up for USB Type-C on the NX. As stated before, this is the same company who used Mini USB for the Wii U Pro Controller when Sony & Microsoft move on to Micro USB. Also, there's the fact that the NES Mini uses Micro USB instead of USB Type-C.

KingBroly

Banned
As stated earlier, the issue could be the fact that the 3DS uses a completely dated online infrastructure (even in comparison to the Wii U) thanks to its now-defunct Friend Code system. And thanks to Super Mario Maker's NX port being rumored to not happen due to issues with the NX version interacting with the Wii U version very well, this is where my fears stem from concerning NX-3DS local trading for Pokémon. And besides, it's not like Game Freak really cares about getting on new platforms early (as shown by Black/White). You could argue that Nintendo's more serious about making sure the NX succeeds, but Sun/Moon would be 4 months old by the time the NX comes out, & I doubt that Game Freak would give the NX versions exclusive features or built-in DLC from the start (since mainline Pokémon games don't really do paid DLC, though PokéBank is more of a service than anything else) to sweeten the deal.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for USB Type-C on the NX. As stated before, this is the same company who used Mini USB for the Wii U Pro Controller when Sony & Microsoft move on to Micro USB. Also, there's the fact that the NES Mini uses Micro USB instead of USB Type-C.

Let's be honest here. When it comes to Nintendo, they are terrible at online and future proofing their systems. The Pokemon Company have been actively future proofing their stuff for a very long time.

MuchoMalo

Banned
While the "Will GameFreak make a NX Pokemon game on time" discussion has been on for awhile, I do think there's a fairly big difference between DS->3DS transition and 3DS->NX.
DS had 150 Million units sold, 3DS has almost a third of that. Additionally, 3DS could play both Black and White and the sequel, NX is reported to not have BC so any further Pokemon release exclusively on 3DS would be actively repelling consumers.
NX is also a very important system for them, so being slow on the up take is likely not an option. I can see Sun and Moon skipping NX since its out 4 months before the system launches, but I would hope that they have started working on an NX title, at least the tech and making the models.
Not sure if Sun and Moon being an impressive step forward after a year of skipping releases is a sign that the tech is being put in use or if it's a worrying sign that they put a lot of work into a 3DS engine and they'd like to get more out of it.
I thought it would be interesting to kind of reboot the franchise with a remake of Red...again, but with better visuals, free form camera, maybe new combat, etc.
TL;DR:
Staying on 3DS has fewer benefits, does more damage due to lack of BC, and It's important for NX to have a good launch year

But here's my question: Why should Game Freak care about propping up NX over their own profit margins?

I also know this is kind of off-topic, but does the idea of "rebooting" Pokemon entail? Getting rid of everything after Mew and starting fresh with a new gameplay style/genre and no longer introducing new Pokemon?

Ok just found out something very interesting. The man that will be showing off the tegra next at hotchips this month was also one of the graphics hardware architects for the gamecube.

Can that possibly be a coincidence?

Neoxon

Let's be honest here. When it comes to Nintendo, they are terrible at online and future proofing their systems. The Pokemon Company have been actively future proofing their stuff for a very long time.
But wouldn't wireless connectivity have more to do with the Nintendo side of things than The Pokémon Company?

Malakai

I really was hoping for something like this:

jpg

The above image is of the MSI GS30 Shadow with Gaming Dock

Where the Laptop is the NX Go and the Dock is for part which actually make it a hybrid.

Let's not get carried away with the "Pokemon is an independent IP!" story too much. GameFreak isn't going to suddenly act against Nintendo's interests where the NX is concerned. They'll bring Pokemon over pretty quick.

Neoxon

Let's not get carried away with the "Pokemon is an independent IP!" story too much. GameFreak isn't going to suddenly act against Nintendo's interests where the NX is concerned. They'll bring Pokemon over pretty quick.
I'm not saying that Game Freak will never move over to the NX, they definitely will with Gen 8 (or at least I'd hope so). I'm just saying that Game Freak will likely just do it at their own pace like they always have with newer hardware. If that means Gen 8 coming out in 2018 to get things right, then so be it. I wouldn't be a huge fan of leaving the NX hanging for so long without a mainline Pokémon game (my preference would have been Pokémon Z this year for the 3DS followed by Sun/Moon next year for the NX, or Gen 8 for the NX on 2017 given the current situation), but that's the hand we've been dealt as of right now since Game Freak opted to do Gen 7 on the 3DS.

Neoxon

I think it has more to do with how games are coded
If that's the case, then Game Freak should be in the clear. But Nintendo would still need to do things on their end to make Game Freak's lives easier on the wireless communication side of things.

I'm not saying that Game Freak will never move over to the NX, they definitely will with Gen 8 (or at least I'd hope so). I'm just saying that Game Freak will likely just do it at their own pace like they always have with newer hardware. If that means Gen 8 coming out in 2018 to get things right, then so be it. I wouldn't be a huge fan of leaving the NX hanging for so long, but that's the hand we've been dealt as of right now since Game Freak opted to do Gen 7 on the 3DS.
Wouldn't be too shocking if they release Pokemon Earth (or whatever) for NX in a year's time.

Neoxon

Wouldn't be too shocking if they release Pokemon Earth (or whatever) for NX in a year's time.
I'm not even sure if they'll do a sequel game this time around since they skipped X/Y's sequel game (& incorporated whatever they were likely gonna do with Z, like the Zygarde forms, into Sun/Moon). And even then, given how previous generations functioned, if Gen 7 got a sequel game, it'll likely stay on the 3DS. This is why I'm hoping for Game Freak to skip the Sun/Moon sequel game & jump straight to Gen 8 for the NX.

Vena

This is such a bizarre discussion. The work they've put into the design of the world, sprites, and textures/models in Sun/Moon is obviously to help futureproof themselves (and their engine), again. They could just port and uprender Sun and Moon and it'd probably look perfectly fine on the NX screen with proper AA.

They don't do these things, or their HD models, for shits and giggles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom