• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mory Dunz

Street Fighter VI likely won't be a thing for another 7 or so years since Capcom's staying the course for long-term support of SFV (which will likely entail for 5 years of DLC counting Season 1 & 2 extra years of SFV Capcom Pro Tour support). By then, we'll probably be on the 2nd wave of NX hardware. It's a shame, since I would have loved to practice SFV during long car rides.

Speaking of Street Fighter, I'd love for Nintendo to start doing Arcade games on the Virtual Console again so we can get Super Turbo & Third Strike.

I know, I was just listing franchises that'd maybe be viable.

I guess I could've said "Final Fantasys, REs, Street Fighters on Nintendo Hardware" to indicate no timeline, if that's more clear

heidern

This is all assuming the NX is in a handheld size. If they go for a 6-7" tablet then maybe you aren't getting no shared library and they'll instead have a lower powered handheld releasing at some point.

Pokemaniac

Let's be honest here. When it comes to Nintendo, they are terrible at online and future proofing their systems. The Pokemon Company have been actively future proofing their stuff for a very long time.

The Pokemon Company end up throwing away a large chunk of their online services each generation. That is not how future-proofing works.

Neoxon

This is such a bizarre discussion. The work they've put into the design of the world, sprites, and textures/models in Sun/Moon is obviously to help futureproof themselves (and their engine), again. They could just port and uprender Sun and Moon and it'd probably look perfectly fine on the NX screen with proper AA.

They don't do these things, or their HD models, for shits and giggles.
Of course not, Game Freak will likely carry over the model work they've done with Gens 6 & 7 over to Gen 8 on the NX. They basically bit the bullet now in terms of poor 3DS performance so that they won't be screwed over later down the road in terms of HD development. That said, I still have my doubts about the NX getting a port of Sun/Moon.

I guess I could've said "Final Fantasys, REs, Street Fighters on Nintendo Hardware" to indicate no timeline, if that's more clear
Fair enough

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Hard to do Wii U BC when the NX only does cartridges. If you mean the 3DS BC, there's the lack of dual screens to consider.

If detachable controllers are a thing, a vertical position could work for DS/3DS stuff. Hell, the cards might even be the same form factor.

KingBroly

Banned

At the rate they're all going, there won't be any of those period besides the constant re-issues of remakes/ports. Just a lot of bad ideas being thrown around for those IP's.

Neoxon

If detachable controllers are a thing, a vertical position could work for DS/3DS stuff. Hell, the cards might even be the same form factor.
But based on the rough image that Eurogamer provided, the detachable controllers part may only be for horizontal use.

I'm not even sure if they'll do a sequel game this time around since they skipped X/Y's sequel game (& incorporated whatever they were likely gonna do with Z, like the Zygarde forms, into Sun/Moon). And even then, given how previous generations functioned, if Gen 7 got a sequel game, it'll likely stay on the 3DS. This is why I'm hoping for Game Freak to skip the Sun/Moon sequel game & jump straight to Gen 8 for the NX.
Doubtful, IMO. NX or they don't do it.

Neoxon

I just realized another issue for USB Type-C use as the main USB port for the NX (as unlikely as it may be). Using those instead of USB Type-A plugs (the big rectangle ones that we all know & love) would screw over the GameCube Adapters unless you get 2 Type-C-to-Type-A adapters.

Vena

Of course not, Game Freak will likely carry over the model work they've done with Gens 6 & 7 over to Gen 8 on the NX. They basically bit the bullet now in terms of poor 3DS performance so that they won't be screwed over later down the road in terms of HD development. That said, I still have my doubts about the NX getting a port of Sun/Moon.

Fair enough

Gen 7 will be on the NX, one way or another. They aren't launching whatever remake or third edition on the 3DS in late 2017.

Neoxon

Gen 7 will be on the NX, one way or another. They aren't launching whatever remake or third edition on the 3DS in late 2017.
I'm not even sure if they'll do another remake until Gen 8. The last time Game Freak did 2 generations on o e system, the DS, they didn't bother with a Gen 3 remake until Gen 6 on the 3DS. And besides, you can still play the Gen 4 games on the 3DS via DS BC. Plus there's no guarantee that Game Freak will even do a Gen 7 sequel game.

Pokemaniac

Black 2 and White 2 say hi.

Gen VII is starting on 3DS and will most likely finish there. Though, of course, as Sun and Moon prove, the 3rd version isn't exactly necessary anymore.

AzaK

Time to reignite some dreams here;

Nearly full western third party support as long as the hardware is capable enough.

Will be noticeably more powerful than the Wii U.

Robust app support due to an Android type OS.

I have zero sources for these, but there's no need to be overly pessimistic until we see the system, people.

Robust and Android is an Oxymoron :)

I wouldn't get your hopes up for USB Type-C on the NX. As stated before, this is the same company who used Mini USB for the Wii U Pro Controller when Sony & Microsoft move on to Micro USB. Also, there's the fact that the NES Mini uses Micro USB instead of USB Type-C.

Oh my hopes are not up at all. I full expect Nintendo to do the cheapest and most minimal thing they can get away with.

Here's the thing: To even match Xbone using two systems, you need active cooling in the dock. This would necessitate a very large dock. In addition, your set-up would be ridiculously hard to develop for, and maybe 2-3% of users would actually buy two for that purpose. It's really just not a good or feasible idea compared to just putting a GPU in a separate version of the dock, which can put it well above PS4 for a total cost of $300-350, depending on how much the base pack costs. Also, there's no way you're getting a 1 TFLOPS chip in the tablet for $250. Realistically, the best cast for an X2-based chip with active cooling and somehow reaching 15+W is 717 GFLOPS, which sounds fine when you have two but you can't count on perfect scaling due to how much work that requires.

Thing is, the GPU in a dock would still require developing for a dual GPU setup. It would also have to be a separate SKU because no way will Nintendo make everyone buy a handheld and a GPU enhanced dock. Therefore you're looking at something similar (albeit a bit cheaper) than a dual tablet machine. However you still only get one handheld in that situation. I could see Nintendo preferring to sell more handhelds allowing more family members to have their own unit for separate or family play. Add in the fact that the engineering is the same for 1 or 2 tablets and I see it as a much simpler, easier to understand and more flexible solution than an augmented dock.

Anyway, this is pipe dream stuff as I think the idea is far too awesome (And probably expensive) for Nintendo to do.

Atheerios

I'm not even sure if they'll do another remake until Gen 8. The last time Game Freak did 2 generations on o e system, the DS, they didn't bother with a Gen 3 remake until Gen 6 on the 3DS. And besides, you can still play the Gen 4 games on the 3DS via DS BC. Plus there's no guarantee that Game Freak will even do a Gen 7 sequel game.

You're correct. There's only one set of remakes per system. They do remakes when the handheld is no longer compatible with the original games: 3DS is not compatible with GBA (and thus RS remakes) but it's still compatible with DS games.

Not really, Game Freak is well known for always jumping the ship to new systems very late. DS was released in 2004, Pokémon D/P in 2006, 3DS in 2011 and X/Y in 2013. Also, they won't make such a jump in the middle of the gen, we will need to wait until gen 8 for Pokémon to come to NX.

Damn, huge shame about no BC. What an insane library to give up on.
DS emulation was possible on Wii U, so I'm not sure about 3DS emulation. Wii U's probably a lost cause, the titles that are worth bringing over are better served by remasters/ports than trying to create an emulator for the virtual console.

Vena

What are all these appeal to tradition fallacies? These aren't sundials in orbit around a sun, things change. Who cares what they did when, the DS had two gens and each gen still had multiple entries beyond the "initial two". In fact if you want to make these appeals to tradition, then please find me a gen where there was only the two initial games...

.. you won't find it.

There will be a second entry in Gen 7. It will not be on the 3DS only if at all. The NX will not support (as far as we know) 3DS software.

Black 2 and White 2 say hi.

Gen VII is starting on 3DS and will most likely finish there. Though, of course, as Sun and Moon prove, the 3rd version isn't exactly necessary anymore.

3DS was backwards compatible. No sales are lost in such a scenario.

Neoxon

You're correct. There's only one set of remakes per system. They do remakes when the handheld is no longer compatible with the original games: 3DS is not compatible with GBA (and thus Ruby/Sapphire remakes) but it's still compatible with DS games.

Not really, Game Freak is well known for always jumping the ship to new systems very late. DS was released in 2004, Pokémon D/P in 2006, 3DS in 2011 and X/Y in 2013. Also, they won't make such a jump in the middle of the gen, we will need to wait until gen 8 for Pokémon to come to NX.
FTFY.

But yeah, I agree completely.

Vena

Gameboy Color.

Had the NX launched as it had been intended in 2016, then holidat 2017 would have been the ~same gap as it was from Gameboy Color launch to the release of Gold and Silver. And the GBC was backwards compatible no less.

Neoxon

What are all these appeal to tradition fallacies? These aren't sundials in orbit around a sun, things change. Who cares what they did when, the DS had two gens and each gen still had multiple entries beyond the "initial two". In fact if you want to make these appeals to tradition, then please find me a gen where there was only the two initial games...

.. you won't find it.

There will be a second entry in Gen 7. It will not be on the 3DS only if at all. The NX will not support (as far as we know) 3DS software.

But as demonstrated by Sun/Moon being made instead of X/Y's sequel games, Game Freak jumping straight to the next generation is entirely possible. And even if they do a sequel game, it'll definitely stay on the 3DS as past sequel games have in relation to their original counterparts. In short, we'll likely have to wait until Gen 8 for the NX to receive a mainline Pokémon game. That's not to say that Gen 7 ports are impossible, just unlikely given what we know about the release of mainline Pokémon games up until now.

Gameboy Color.

Had the NX launched as it had been intended in 2016, then holidat 2017 would have been the ~same gap as it was from Gameboy Color launch to the release of Gold and Silver.
He still has a point about the other instances. Game Freak moves at their own pace when it comes to adopting new hardware. They'll come to the NX in due time, it'll just take a bit. This is why I'm hoping that they skip the sequel game in favor of an NX-bound Gen 8, to speed the process along.

ZeroX03

Banned
It's hard to garner any sort of pattern out of Pokemon nowadays, there's been exceptions to most rules at this point.

I don't think we'll be waiting 3 years though. I don't expect a holiday 2018 game to be 3DS only assuming NX is early 2017. Personally I don't see any reason for Gen 4 remakes until everything is well settled on the NX.

Vena

But as demonstrated by Sun/Moon being made instead of X/Y's sequel games, Game Freak jumping straight to the next generation is entirely possible. And even if they do a sequel game, it'll definitely stay on the 3DS as past sequel games have in relation to their original counterparts. In short, we'll likely have to wait until Gen 8 for the NX to receive a mainline Pokémon game. That's not to say that Gen 7 ports are impossible, just unlikely given what we know about the release of mainline Pokémon games up until now.

XY got a "sequel", it got ORAS and every generation has gotten two entries at least in its generations. Two have gotten three in a sequel + remake, two generations only have a sequel, and one generation has only a remake. Odds are that Sun and Moon will also get a second entry, be it Mother 3 or remakes of Diamond and Pearl.

And when that title launches in 2017, it will not be only on the 3DS. That would be momentously stupid barring the revelation that the NX is 3DS BC. The 3DS is losing its ability to move software, it will have a hurrah this holiday... it will not have another after an entire year of, basically, no software from anyone.

He still has a point about the other instances. Game Freak moves at their own pace when it comes to adopting new hardware. They'll come to the NX in due time, it'll just take a bit. This is why I'm hoping that they skip the sequel game in favor of an NX-bound Gen 8, to speed the process along.

You can't pick and choose only the situations that make your point. All situations are on the table, and a situation exists that says a year is more than enough time. Therefore you cannot and should not rule out such a possibility.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Thing is, the GPU in a dock would still require developing for a dual GPU setup. It would also have to be a separate SKU because no way will Nintendo make everyone buy a handheld and a GPU enhanced dock. Therefore you're looking at something similar (albeit a bit cheaper) than a dual tablet machine. However you still only get one handheld in that situation. I could see Nintendo preferring to sell more handhelds allowing more family members to have their own unit for separate or family play. Add in the fact that the engineering is the same for 1 or 2 tablets and I see it as a much simpler, easier to understand and more flexible solution than an augmented dock.

Anyway, this is pipe dream stuff as I think the idea is far too awesome (And probably expensive) for Nintendo to do.

There's no reason for them to have to use both GPUs simultaneously in the dock scenario unless the dev wants to. As for wanting people to buy more handhelds, there's no reason for them to want that. The dock could have a higher profit margin, and most of Nintendo's actual profit should be from software and accessories anyway. I also don't see how it's easier or more flexible; it the complete opposite in my eyes. It's the most complex possible solution and the most difficult to engineer. Tegra-Next already has the tech built in to use a dedicated GPU through PCIe, but for using two Tegras in tandem it's only able to do so on the same PCB. There's literally no advantage to your idea other than a 2-3% increase in sales. Also, what sounds easier to market: convincing people to buy two of the same product, or a super-dock?

Pokemaniac

.. you won't find it.

Who said there will be a second entry in Gen VII? Gen VI only has the initial pair and remakes, and the remakes are definitely not mandatory.

Splitting a generation across platforms removes a great deal of the development benefits of making multiple games in a generation in the first place. You end up with an expensive game that won't sell as much as the initial pair anyway.

Neoxon

XY got a "sequel", it got ORAS and every generation has gotten two entries at least in its generations. Two have gotten three in a sequel + remake, two generations only have a sequel, and one generation has only a remake. Odds are that Sun and Moon will also get a second entry, be it Mother 3 or remakes of Diamond and Pearl.

And when that title launches in 2017, it will not be only on the 3DS. That would be momentously stupid barring the revelation that the NX is 3DS BC.
Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire were the Gen 3 remakes of the 3DS, not the Gen 6 sequel games. Up until now, each generation from Gen 3 up until now had 2 main games, 2 versions of a remake (per system), & some kind of sequel game(s). Game Freak broke away from doing sequel games as of Gen 6 going into Gen 7. That said, I still stand by my point in that if they do a sequel game for Gen 7, it'll remain 3DS-only if Sun/Moon are 3DS-only. But even with that in mind, I have my doubts on if Game Freak will even do a sequel game now.

The main point I'm trying to make is Game Freak isn't as concerned about jumping to new hardware as Nintendo. They'll get to the NX whenever they get to it. And as shown by Gen 7 being on the 3DS & Gen 5 being on the DS, Game Freak prefers a larger install base to a new install base.

You can't pick and choose only the situations that make your point. All situations are on the table, and a situation exists that says a year is more than enough time. Therefore you cannot and should not rule out such a possibility.
I'm talking about the most recent instances, being the two brought up by Atheerios.

Neoxon

problem is mainly them having to re-do everything for this new architecture VC wise.
Now that I think about it, bringing the SNES games over to the n3DS was actually genius. Thanks to that, Nintendo already has a solid number of emulated games built for the ARM architecture.

ZeroX03

Banned
Up until now, each generation from Gen 3 up until now had 2 main games, 2 remakes, & some kind of sequel game(s).

No they didn't, Gen 5 had no remakes.

There's no pattern to find here anymore, it's hard to guess from past generations. There's precedent for them moving on, and there's precedent for them doing a sequel on a system with a successor already released.

z0m3le

Banned
I think a NX console dock makes perfect sense, and acts a bit like a 2DS. It would give them the option of enhanced graphics, something like N64's memory expansion pak, but would be sold as a stand alone device that can charge your hybrid console and work together. Reggie talked about transforming, maybe it was a play on this concept.

Lets go with just what we know real quick, X1 overclocked in the dev kits is anywhere from 600gflops to 700gflops. The move to Pascal and 16nm would handle that new higher clock very easily... 1.3-1.6ghz, and lets just go with the low end so we can make the point clear in performance, lets say there is no cuda core increase, no further clock increase, just 1.35ghz (to avoid a 666gflops). That gives you 691gflops of pascal, this is about 7x faster than Wii U when architecture is taken into account, or about 1TFLOPs when compared to GCN.

That hits very close to XB1, and if combined with a theoretical console? that would put it over PS4, with minimal enhancements over X1 using pascal.

Nintendo can't compete with a me too box because the vast majority of western AAA customers already bought into the PS4/XB1 platforms, but some of them would be interested in a premium Nintendo device that has a solid library from both handheld and console efforts from Nintendo.

Neoxon

No they didn't, Gen 5 had no remakes.

There's no pattern to find here anymore, it's hard to guess from past generations. There's precedence for them moving on, and there's precedence for them doing a sequel on a system with a successor already released.
I worded that wrong, sorry. I meant to say 2 versions of a remake per system.

KingBroly

Banned
I think a NX console dock makes perfect sense, and acts a bit like a 2DS. It would give them the option of enhanced graphics, something like N64's memory expansion pak, but would be sold as a stand alone device that can charge your hybrid console and work together. Reggie talked about transforming, maybe it was a play on this concept.

Lets go with just what we know real quick, X1 overclocked in the dev kits is anywhere from 600gflops to 700gflops. The move to Pascal and 16nm would handle that new higher clock very easily... 1.3-1.6ghz, and lets just go with the low end so we can make the point clear in performance, lets say there is no cuda core increase, no further clock increase, just 1.35ghz (to avoid a 666gflops). That gives you 691gflops of pascal, this is about 7x faster than Wii U when architecture is taken into account, or about 1TFLOPs when compared to GCN.

That hits very close to XB1, and if combined with a theoretical console? that would put it over PS4, with minimal enhancements over X1 using pascal.

Nintendo can't compete with a me too box because the vast majority of western AAA customers already bought into the PS4/XB1 platforms, but some of them would be interested in a premium Nintendo device that has a solid library from both handheld and console efforts from Nintendo.

that seems too powerful and wattage heavy for what this is gonna be. This has to be sub 10w in the handheld

Vena

Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire were the Gen 3 remakes of the 3DS, not the Gen 6 sequel games. Up until now, each generation from Gen 3 up until now had 2 main games, 2 remakes (per system), & some kind of sequel game(s). Game Freak broke away from doing sequel games as of Gen 6 going into Gen 7. That said, I still stand by my point in that if they do a sequel game for Gen 7, it'll remain 3DS-only if Sun/Moon are 3DS-only. But even with that in mind, I have my doubts on if Game Freak will even do a sequel game now.

No they didn't. There is no pattern here, the most they've done is that they've at least always had two entries. But who knows, they may even just throw that out the window too.

It will not remain (or be) 3DS-only irregardless of what it is.

The main point I'm trying to make is Game Freak isn't as concerned about jumping to new hardware as Nintendo. They'll get to the NX whenever they get to it. And as shown by Gen 7 being on the 3DS & Gen 5 being on the DS, Game Freak prefers a larger install base to a new install base.

Install base is irrelevant if no one is left to buy software. And do you think Nintendo has no say in this matter?

The DS and 3DS being backwards compatible completely moots the entirety of the BW2 discussion because there is no loss of software potential in such a case.

antonz

I think people are taking the no backwards compatibility thing the wrong way. A tegra powered NX Handheld does not remove backwards compatibility for 3DS. Eurogamer is operating on the assumption like most that NX is also replacing the Wii U. In that regards Wii U backwards compatibility is in fact dead.

Neoxon

No they didn't. There is no pattern here, the most they've done is that they've at least always had two entries. But who knows, they may even just throw that out the window too.

It will not remain 3DS-only irregardless of what it is.
But again, consider the possibility of Game Freak outright skipping the sequel game. There's no real point in porting Sun/Moon to the NX since it would be out months beforehand (& you can't really add much to the NX version without screwing over 3DS players).

Install base is irrelevant if no one is left to buy software. And do you think Nitnendo has no say in this matter?
I wouldn't be too sure of there being nobody left. As for Nintendo having a say on the matter, they likely have as much say as they always have (which resulted in Game Freak waiting 2 years to jump on the DS & the 3DS for each respective generation of hardware).

Neoxon

assuming the cpu is ARM.
The Tegra CPU is ARM-based. And besides, what else was Nintendo gonna use for the NX? PowerPC is a dinosaur at this point & not power-efficient, and x86 also isn't power-efficient (& the few power-efficient configurations that there are for x86 are a bit on the expensive side & don't offer good battery life).

I think people are taking the no backwards compatibility thing the wrong way. A tegra powered NX Handheld does not remove backwards compatibility for 3DS. Eurogamer is operating on the assumption like most that NX is also replacing the Wii U. In that regards Wii U backwards compatibility is in fact dead.
The issue with 3DS BC is more of the lack of dual screens than anything else.

Vena

But again, consider the possibility of Game Freak outright skipping the sequel game. There's no real point in porting Sun/Moon to the NX since it would be out months beforehand (& you can't really add much to the NX version without screwing over 3DS players).

When did we start discussing porting anything? I am talking about Gen 7.5 to be cross-gen. If they skip the game outright, then the next title will be in 2018.

I wouldn't be too sure of there being nobody left. As for Nintendo having a say on the matter, they likely have as much say as they always have (which resulted in Game Freak waiting 2 years to jump on the DS & the 3DS for each respective generation of hardware).

The 3DS is already starting to slow down, you think it will be able to do much of anything in 2017 when even Nintendo has barely a thing for it? No.

Both systems were BC with their predecessors.

Neoxon

When did we start discussing porting anything? I am talking about Gen 7.5 to be cross-gen. If they skip the game outright, then the next title will be in 2018.
And with that in mind, I still believe that if Gen 7 is 3DS-only, then the possible sequel game (if there is one) will follow suit. For another reason as to why I feel like the Gen 7 sequel game (if any) will remain 3DS-only if Sun/Moon are 3DS-only, Pokemaniac described it best.
Splitting a generation across platforms removes a great deal of the development benefits of making multiple games in a generation in the first place. You end up with an expensive game that won't sell as much as the initial pair anyway.

The 3DS is already starting to slow down, you think it will be able to do much of anything in 2017 when even Nintendo has barely a thing for it? No.

Both systems were BC with their predecessors.
The 3DS is slowing down in sales, sure. But there's still an existing install base willing to get a Pokémon game on the platform. While I don't personally agree with this logic, it's still a viable option.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Pretty big coincidence.

Another "coincidence:" he joined the Tegra team in last 2014, which would probably have been mere months after Nintendo started work on the chip.

"Coincidence" #3: He doesn't seem to have presented new chips in the past.

MQpOaPR.gif

(Yes, I know we're at 3 now)

rekameohs

Banned
I just realized another issue for USB Type-C use as the main USB port for the NX (as unlikely as it may be). Using those instead of USB Type-A plugs (the big rectangle ones that we all know & love) would screw over the GameCube Adapters unless you get 2 Type-C-to-Type-A adapters.
No way they go for USB Type C. Hell, I hope we at least get USB 3, Wii U didn't even get that.

Instro

Ok just found out something very interesting. The man that will be showing off the tegra next at hotchips this month was also one of the graphics hardware architects for the gamecube.

Pretty neat. I would love to see that connection discussed at some point after or during the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom