• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European Court of Human Rights: Ban on Muslim full-face veil legal

I have mixed opinions about this ruling. I completely agree that these full-face veils have no place in a secular society. There's also a safety concern with not being able to identify people who have their face fully covered, and they don't realize that it works against them if they found themselves a suspect of an unfortunate event.

This is just crazy. Secularism is about the neutrality of State. Banning the veil don't make any sense except if you bring white savior complex or security issues into the mix.

What is the next step ? Banning everything that identify someone as religious in the public space ?

This likely won't have any positive effect on curbing sexism in Muslim communities, but that is probably NOT why it was ruled as legal anyway. I'd assume that it was brought to the ECHR on grounds of discrimination against Muslim women, and I can see such a case being ruled this way on grounds of free societies expecting faces to be visible in public.

Fritz

I have mixed opinions about this ruling. I completely agree that these full-face veils have no place in a secular society. There's also a safety concern with not being able to identify people who have their face fully covered, and they don't realize that it works against them if they found themselves a suspect of an unfortunate event.

The problem is that there's a struggle with feminist voices running the risk of being discredited as anti-nationalist (of their home country) or anti-religious in the Middle East. We have to remember that women's adherence to received norms such as veiling and seclusion became forms of nationalist/cultural defense in Middle Eastern countries under severe forms of European colonization threatening the culture itself. Bans such as this will be perceived as another cultural attack from the West, when really we should be advocating for and supporting the women in these communities who speak out against full-face veils and other oppressive ideologies.

I totally agree but also I don't believe European legislation should take these sensibilities into account. It's important for society to have this discussion though

Lmao, he wrote the actual way to go about this is written under the image and he and you both rather punish the women themselves for being oppressed. Instead of furthering education.

I can't.

At the end of the day it is the husbands and religious dogma that will lock these women at home. Not this law.

I see your stance in this akin to knowing of a situation of abuse and not file a complaint because you're convinced the victim will have it worse.

To what point are you willing to compromise on Human rights so these women "don't have it worse"?

Right now what are the realistic chances of these women wearing a niqab of getting proper education?

Shaanyboi

Banned
That is no contradiction. If you put on an SS uniform with a swastika armband in Germany, you will be arrested.

(And no, I am not saying face veils are like SS uniforms. I am just giving you a simple example of the state telling you what you can't wear.)
A person wearing an SS uniform is unlikely to be part of a marginalized group, told that they can either wear the uniform or not go outside.

The faux concern from people championing this choice doesn't provide any solutions towards the women in oppressive situations where they may be kept from engaging with the community around them. Instead, I see a slew of smarmy posts about how it's the husband's fault for keeping them in, not theirs. Like if they are already in an oppressive or abusive relationship where this is their only choice, how the fuck do you expect them to get any help now?

Are those improvements somehow in correlation with compulsory religious clothing? I don't see people making the argument that the old Iran was perfect, just that those women very much reject this type of religious clothing.

It was just a general comment at whenever Iran pre-Islamic revolution is bought up (ITT and other threads) with such rose tinted glasses, especially regarding women as if how much skin they could expose was the only barometer of how Free™ they were, completely ignoring pretty much everything else. Gets tiring tbh.

jett

D-Member
Very powerful image. Thank you.

The most important freedom is freedom from religious compulsion.
Lmao, he wrote the actual way to go about this is written under the image and he and you both rather punish the women themselves for being oppressed. Instead of furthering education.

I can't.

The best way to keep women docile is to indoctrinate them from a young age and to deny them education, which is what has been successfully practiced in Iran ever since.

So are you for or against early childhood religious indoctrination/compulsion?

Kisaya

This is just crazy. Secularism is about the neutrality of State. Banning the veil don't make any sense except if you bring white savior complex or security issues into the mix.

What is the next step ? Banning everything that identify someone as religious in the public space ?

My point is they don't belong, not that the government has the right to ban them. Did you even read my next paragraph about how we need to support women to make these decisions for themselves?

wartama

Neo Member
The way we see the world is so different that we will never reach an agreenment.

I'm really sorry you have such views. For me, that you need your religion to tell you that you are important is very sad. That, and the fact that you feel wearing a niqab is OK tell me you had a very rough upbringing, in which your freedom was very limited and your life quite controlled.

There is no way in which you are going to convince me that a woman born free, with complete liberty to determine their future, and go to university and learn whatever they want and marry whoever they want and travel wherever they want, is going to choose, at a point in their life, that wearing a niqab is what they want for their life. At least i'm sure as fuck I wouldn't want that for my - hypothetical - daughter.

And I'm sorry, but it's not society or Europe that thinks less of you beause you are a woman or black or gay. We are the ones trying to protect you and other minorities from religious oppression. I mean, it blows my mind that you blame white people and heteronormative society from your oppression, and not Islam and other forms of religion.

Again, speaking for me. Good job. I love you, person who I have no spoken before until today. My white warrior who does not know or understand my life and does not want to.

Inside my home, I had a very happy life, walillahilhamd. My mother is the head of household, completed her degree while bringing us up. I done well in school, got into uni, and now I'm completing my masters. My immediate family are my heroes, even if they still don't understand certain things (i.e. being a queer). I still try to bring up the topic, but that is literally the only hurdle between them and me.

Outside our house, the world is hostile. I have been discriminated against for being black, the child of immigrants, for being a woman who has a religious belief and dares to show it, inside and outside Europe. Since I was a child I was aware that the world is not as safe as my home. I have heard stories of people being persecuted for being black, for being of another clan, for being an immigrant, for being muslim. I used to watch the news with my mother, and she told us of how she herself has being imprisoned back in her home country for wearing the hijab (and now they persecute women if they don't wear the hijab, see a pattern here?).

I grow up in countries where Human Rights™ is touted, and where there are no human rights. I faced many challenges, all oppressions under different guises, and triumphed against some, while failed against others, and learned from my failure. Throughout all this, my only constant apart from being a story-lover, was my faith. I fought for my rights because I wanted to, and I have God and my faith backing me up. Is that too hard to understand? Am I pitiful for relying on my faith to view life optimistically when there are so many bigots hating me for existing? Are you telling me that now the Human Rights court have approved a law that works against me, I'm so pitifal to rely on my faith to keep going against the injustice and to get angry about it? Are you saying that my fight is not worth it? What fights are worth it? Tell me. I am a muslim. My faith is part of my identity. Not only because I grew up with it, but that I believe it is the right way to live. I am as muslim as I am black, queer and female. I may not be worth it to you, as I am sure a lot of people around the world think. You may think that I shouldn't be existing, that combination of too many minority identities must be exhausting or wrong (whichever camp of the ignorance you are). But let me tell you: I am proud of who I am. I am not ashamed of who I am. I had a good but difficult life, but I would never exchange it for anything else.

Belittle me all you want. Pity me all you want. Tell me that I'm wrong and that you know how I should live my life. You are not helping me and you are not my white knight warrior. And you shall not speak on my behalf further.

My point is they don't belong, not that the government has the right to ban them. Did you even read my next paragraph about how we need to support women to make these decisions for themselves?

But what does have it to do with secularism to begin with ? Says western culture if you want, but i don't see the relationship with secularism. Wearing a niqab is not the symbol of sacerdotal role, it don't claim any authority over society, yet wearing sacerdotal symbols is perfectly fine.

Secularism must be strictly defined. It not "anti-religion", it give a middle ground to ensure freedom to everybody. People tend to forget that who invented the concept of secularism to begin with was a protestant cleric. The catholic church mainline today is to say that secularism protect the Church as well and it's better for everyone.

Those original "guest workers", as they were called, weren't trying to put women in niqabs.

Maybe that is why integration worked a lot better.

@DerZuhälter
You conveniently ignore that some of us simply believe that covering your face 24/7 has no place in a free and equal society.
That the whole practice is sexist and a form of male control, which has no place in a free and equal society.

We are opening an even worse can of worms with this sort of ruling.

If this ruling gets popular in Europe and enforced in other countries we will face several dilemmas: What are we going to do with the problematic issue of women being seriously forced into these outfits? What about the people arguing that this infringes their right of religious expression? What about war refugees wearing niqabs, are we going to send them back because of some garment? What about tourists wearing these niqabs, are we sending them back at the airport or ordering them to take it off?

And why all this? Because of a wrong sense of ethical superiority?

It just isn't a well thought out move, which personally seems to me, like an extremely opportunistic politically charged ruling.
Belgium had it's capital on lockdown due to threats of "islamic" terrorism. The population is scared, rightfully so. And we have seen the horrific things that can happen in return. Cars driving into people in front of mosques. Acid attacks. Hate crimes against muslims are on the rise.

People are agitated, and the sight of women in niqabs is just ingraining the idea "These people aren't like us." even if they are belgian nationals.
I don't like using this term and I might get attacked for saying this, but to me, this seems more like the idea of a reverse yellow badge. Before WWII the Nazis labled jews with yellow badges to mark them for the population to see, and encourage them to join the Nazi agenda of eradicating them. This seems to be just another step of getting rid of religious identification markers. And it's not the first time this has happened. Religion and state is strictly seperated in several countries thus wearing religious markers (veils) in service of the state is banned in several countries. This also includes the removal of crosses in schools and offical buildings, so it isn't an islamic one way street in those cases. It does though clash with certain laws in some states (labor/religion).

Long story short: trying to speed up the process of integration by removing liberties is the wrong approach in my eyes. A lot of the arguments to me sound hollow considering the way the ruling has been phrased, targeting a specific religious garment.

I get why it's done. But I don't agree with it.

Aren't you the one saying that these women will now stay at home forced by their husbands? That's sounds very much like abuse to me.
Yet you're blaming it on the law.

And where did I say reporting it is bad? Of course the husbands are at fault, but making a law that helps the husband oppress their wife better isn't exactly what I'd think of.

I dunno but whatever the case you wouldn't threaten the abuse victim with jail time for not removing themselves from the abuse.

Exactly.

And I'm sorry, but it's not society or Europe that thinks less of you beause you are a woman or black or gay. We are the ones trying to protect you and other minorities from religious oppression. I mean, it blows my mind that you blame white people and heteronormative society from your oppression, and not Islam and other forms of religion.

Wow. I can't believe somebody can actually says something like that with a serious face.

Do you understand that you can only help someone who asked for it ? If not, it's just alienation. Muslim women are not inferior to you, you can't "help" them if they don't ask you to. You just being obnoxious, to say the least.

Sami+

The women will be able to take off the Niqab so hopefully it leads to positive change in the culture. If Muslims (including my family) can start getting mortgages because living without paying interest just isn't really possible in the western world, they can take off the Niqab too.

Banning the hijab completely would be a problem.

wartama

Neo Member
Maybe the problem with the notion of "free societies taking away liberties" is that we should stop calling them "free societies" because, implicitly, there is no such thing

Exactly. Don't coat it with sugar. There's no free society. Human Rights™ is a trademarked western movement, and until it considers ever single person as a woman who makes a choice under its hood, it will remain so as far as I'm concerned.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Well, I for one actually seem to care what Muslim women say.

And what do they say?
Because I talked with some (not a lot, this isn't some empirical study) refugees from Syria and they seem torn. Some women were against it, some were for it. Same with the men. To be fair, only one person outright said the Niqab should be banned.
Still, this isn't an "Muslim vs non-muslim" thing. Not surprisingly among the millions and millions of Muslims there are a lot of dissenting opinions.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
In Iran it gave you Khomeini. In Turkey's, Erdogan. In Algeria, FIS. So, no, forced state-secularization is not working if it goes against society.
At the contrary, it consistently backfire.
Seems like Erdogan took power once forced secularization eased up, not because it increased. And despite his rise, Turkey is still more secular than, say, Arab countries in the region. Turkey's large secularist population didn't come out of nowhere--it was a direct result of Ataturk and his repression of Islam.

I'm also not convinced Iran became Islamist because of too much secularization. I think all of the other problems with the pre-Revolution government, along with foreign meddling, were more important causes.

There's also an awkward question to be answered: if governmental repression of Islam never works to actually repress Islam, why do governments keep doing it? For fun?

The real issue with crushing Islam is a moral one. In terms of whether it can work, the answer seems pretty clear.

Seems like Erdogan took power once forced secularization eased up, not because it increased. And despite his rise, Turkey is still more secular than, say, Arab countries in the region. Turkey's large secularist population didn't come out of nowhere--it was a direct result of Ataturk and his repression of Islam.

I'm also not convinced Iran became Islamist because of too much secularization. I think all of the other problems with the pre-Revolution government, along with foreign meddling, were more important causes.

There's also an awkward question to be answered: if governmental repression of Islam never works to actually repress Islam, why do governments keep doing it? For fun?

The real issue with crushing Islam is a moral one. In terms of whether it can work, the answer seems pretty clear.

I mean it's not just Turkey or Iran. Another interesting example is that after the collapse of the Soviet Union, the countries under their former rule became increasingly theistic and there was a growing number of people believing in god. So I don't necessarily agree with your assessment.

BadWolf

Again, speaking for me. Good job. I love you, person who I have no spoken before until today. My white warrior who does not know or understand my life and does not want to.

Inside my home, I had a very happy life, walillahilhamd. My mother is the head of household, completed her degree while bringing us up. I done well in school, got into uni, and now I'm completing my masters. My immediate family are my heroes, even if they still don't understand certain things (i.e. being a queer). I still try to bring up the topic, but that is literally the only hurdle between them and me.

Outside our house, the world is hostile. I have been discriminated against for being black, the child of immigrants, for being a woman who has a religious belief and dares to show it, inside and outside Europe. Since I was a child I was aware that the world is not as safe as my home. I have heard stories of people being persecuted for being black, for being of another clan, for being an immigrant, for being muslim. I used to watch the news with my mother, and she told us of how she herself has being imprisoned back in her home country for wearing the hijab (and now they persecute women if they don't wear the hijab, see a pattern here?).

I grow up in countries where Human Rights™ is touted, and where there are no human rights. I faced many challenges, all oppressions under different guises, and triumphed against some, while failed against others, and learned from my failure. Throughout all this, my only constant apart from being a story-lover, was my faith. I fought for my rights because I wanted to, and I have God and my faith backing me up. Is that too hard to understand? Am I pitiful for relying on my faith to view life optimistically when there are so many bigots hating me for existing? Are you telling me that now the Human Rights court have approved a law that works against me, I'm so pitifal to rely on my faith to keep going against the injustice and to get angry about it? Are you saying that my fight is not worth it? What fights are worth it? Tell me. I am a muslim. My faith is part of my identity. Not only because I grew up with it, but that I believe it is the right way to live. I am as muslim as I am black, queer and female. I may not be worth it to you, as I am sure a lot of people around the world think. You may think that I shouldn't be existing, that combination of too many minority identities must be exhausting or wrong (whichever camp of the ignorance you are). But let me tell you: I am proud of who I am. I am not ashamed of who I am. I had a good but difficult life, but I would never exchange it for anything else.

Belittle me all you want. Pity me all you want. Tell me that I'm wrong and that you know how I should live my life. You are not helping me and you are not my white knight warrior. And you shall not speak on my behalf further.

Sorry but you are turning this into a lot more than this is, unless wearing one physical object in public is the key pillar of your belief in Islam upon which everything stands.

No one is taking religion away from you or hating you for believing in Islam with this law. It is aiming at one physical object whose function (hiding identity) is already banned in many societies and it is being banned for this reason in this case as well.

And what do they say?
Because I talked with some (not a lot, this isn't some empirical study) refugees from Syria and they seem torn. Some women were against it, some were for it. Same with the men. To be fair, only one person outright said the Niqab should be banned.
Still, this isn't an "Muslim vs non-muslim" thing. Not surprisingly among the millions and millions of Muslims there are a lot of dissenting opinions.

Look at wartamas posts. That's what I wanted to express with that. Or any other muslims post, for that matter.

Rush_Khan

Can someone tell me what programs are available to women in this circumstance to "integrate?" Are their specifically trained Muslim counselors coming to families? Are people checking in women who are no longer leaving the house and addressing that? Is there a hotline for Muslim women to call? Is there a step-down program where a woman can go out in this garb and transition into another one without being fined or jailed? What are things in place to help "free" Muslim women?

I have my own feelings about this kind of ban but can someone at least showcase resources for these women?
Good post. This ban will not accomplish anything useful unless society actively tackles the problem with integration. In fact it is certain to make things worse.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I mean it's not just Turkey or Iran. Another interesting example is that after the collapse of the Soviet Union, the countries under their former rule became increasingly theistic and there was a growing number of people believing in god. So I don't necessarily agree with your assessment.
Sure, but those countries became less theistic under repression. The resurgence only started when the repression stopped.

China's blatant anti-Islam policies seem to be working to curb Islamism in Xinjiang, too, at least for the moment.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Good. The niqab is misogynistic as fuck.

Who needs Islamic extremism to rail against freedom and liberty when parts of the West seem hell bent on destroying those very ideals it covets so dearly themselves.
lol please. Society will not collapse because a misogynistic garment is banned. On the contrary, societies do collapse when oppressive theocracies gain a foothold.

The people crying "oppression, oppression" don't think about that, because all they care about is sticking it to uppity brown people.
As an intersectional feminist, all I can say to this without violating the forum's ToS is: don't tell me what I think or don't think.

How in the hell are there so many people defending this? GAF normally isn't so islamophobic, is it?

Well it's not really surprising considering many on the left lean towards secular views and tend to be atheist.

I mean it's one of the reasons why I don't frequent GAF as much anymore because any thread relating to religion be it Islam or Christianity is made up of so called experts telling us what we should believe or what our religion actually says.

I mean just the other day someone said there's no difference between religious people and mentally ill people and got away with it...

I mean I'm not saying everyone should agree with our views but there's clearly a large dissonance and outlook on the world; I mean many people here on GAF don't have problem defending Muslims...but rather ones they just agree with, and when it comes to Islam, you start getting the same rhetoric spouted by the right by many even left leaning people here.

It's started to become defending Muslims as an ethnic, cultural group rather than actually spending anytime understanding about their religion (and I don't mean understanding as being synonymous to agreement).

It's thus clearly very easy to feign virtue on the internet when defending certain minorities but for some reasons, it seems very difficult to actually get an understanding on what said minorities follow and the reasons for doing so...and it seems they are convinced despite most of whom haven't ever encountered a Muslim IRL.

It gets tiring but what can you do?

Look at wartamas posts. That's what I wanted to express with that. Or any other muslims post, for that matter.
Religious people are the absolute last people society should take into consideration when deciding what to do about a religion and it's place and effects in society.

cwmartin

Good. The niqab is misogynistic as fuck.

lol please. Society will not collapse because a misogynistic garment is banned. On the contrary, societies do collapse when oppressive theocracies gain a foothold.

As an intersectional feminist, all I can say to this without violating the forum's ToS is: don't tell me what I think or don't think.

Stop telling people what the can and cannot wear, otherwise I'll have to assume you think some pretty awful things from your actions.

Sure, but those countries became less theistic under repression. The resurgence only started when the repression stopped.

China's blatant anti-Islam policies seem to be working to curb Islamism in Xinjiang, too, at least for the moment.

Oh come on, curbing 'Islamism'? You mean just practicing your faith by as fasting or praying or naming your child Mohammed? Really seems like they're fighting the good fight /s

That's quite the hypocritical statement, especially in this thread.

Why are you surprised when the person you're responding to found a post saying that there is no difference between religious people and the mentally ill funny. They are feminist but with an asterisk clearly...

cwmartin

Religious people are the absolute last people society should take into consideration when deciding what to do about a religion and it's place and effects in society.

Newdust said it best:

"People deciding what's best for people they don't know on an issue that doesn't impact them in the slightest."

Absolutely not, especially with people claiming in here "they know what's best" for the Muslim women effected by this.

Religious doesn't automatically make you not able to argue your case.

The case being a part of said women having less chances to escape their oppressors and another part who can't express their religion in the way they want anymore.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

I did.
I just wanted to post that this isn't a simple "Muslims don't want this, only Europeans" issue
I do realize now that that is probably not what you tried to say though

daxy

That's quite the hypocritical statement, especially in this thread.

Come on now. You've been consistently complimenting this fine poster who has reiterated the same point, no?

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Newdust said it best:

"People deciding what's best for people they don't know on an issue that doesn't impact them in the slightest."

Are you for real? Yes, let's throw out public policy making in general because that makes sense.

The arguments presented in court are not new and have legal precedence for it, France banned it in April 2011 and the EU courts upheld then ban again when it was challenged in 2014.

Currently, France, Belgium, Austria and the Netherlands are European countries with specific bans on face-covering dress, such as the Islamic niqab or burqa. I think some parts of China recently banned it too.

There's also a related thread about the tangent regarding the hijab being banned in work environments with strict dress codes.

Newdust said it best:

Religion effects pretty much every one pretty much every day. Even if you're an atheist. Society is so molded around it even non religious people have to deal with the decisions religious people make because thry make up such a large part of society, and have influence because of it.

Come on now. You've been consistently complimenting this fine poster who has reiterated the same point, no?

One of the two is arguing that others (the state) should decide for Muslim women how they express their religion.

That's what I meant, focus on "deciding for others" not "thinking". Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I did.
I just wanted to post that this isn't a simple "Muslims don't want this, only Europeans" issue
I do realize now that that is probably not what you tried to say though

Yeah, I see what you mean.

Osahi

"This is a free society, so we're going to tell you what you can't wear"

Like I said in my post, but which was cherrypickingly left out when I was quoted by DerZuhälter: every freedom has it's limits. For me, covering your face, if it is a niqab, or a donald duck mask or whatever, does not have a place in a free society. (I think it was actually forbidden to walk the streets with a covered face in Belgium before the average Belgian new what a Niqab was or saw a Muslim woman with a scarf.) I can't walk naked on the streets either, and that doesn't mean my society isn't free.

You only defend the niqab because it is religious. I feel that in a secular society, religion should not dictate exemptions on the law; There is a reason it's not preferable to have faces covered, even apart from the women opression angle. It's a matter of safety too (simple example: if a woman disapears, you can't send out a picture).

Like I said before, I don't care if Muslim women wear a headscarf, and I opose a ban on religious symbols for people in publice office (the space should be neutral, people can express themselves imo). I was strongly oposed to the French burkini-ban too and found it despicable. But covering your face is a limit that shouldn't be crossed, and religion should never be above secular law.

wartama

Neo Member
I see what kind of point you're trying to make but that type of behavior only serves a status quo. If the status quo is repressive but it is socially ingrained that such is the way of life and it is fine, then nothing can be done about it. Take for example feminism in Russia. Women are systematically and socially discriminated against, the idea of a patriarchy is very real and alive, and it is supported by the religious establishment. But such is the norm and this is internalized so deeply that the majority of women also revile feminism and just see the injustice taking place around them as a fact of life that is normal or even right.

Sometimes (actually a lot of times), the status quo is that the muslim men don't like the hijab. And they enforce that mentality into the women, while they constrict them from other things. A muslim woman that does not wear the hijab does not automatically mean she is not oppressed. Even if she wants to, she can't wear it, and now legally the family can bully her into not wearing it. Because the Human Rights™ court said it's alright.

I, as a niqabi, speak against forced marriages, dress code policing, holding back women from education. I go against the status quo.

Do you know what it means to go against the status go in muslim communities? It's to speak up and say what you believe in, and let your voice be heard as a muslim woman. It just happens that in this case, the ruling enforces the status quo, because it silences us.

Top Bottom