• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every Xbox One Includes a Chat Headset!! + Xbox One Day One Unboxing

Caayn

I've always thought that this pretty much summed up what it's been like to be a fan of the Xbox One since it's unveiling.

b4e7N8a.jpg
In the beginning it sure did. But now after some time has passed and Microsoft has adjusted their policies/behavior. It is easier to discuss the X1. There are still plenty of blind fanboys, but those will always be around.

I was a fan of the original "DRM" that Microsoft planned for the X1. And would have preferred it if they stayed with their original plan regarding DRM. But I understand why they did a 180 on it.

Prologue

I was referring to their policies bud. I mean cmon you not a little worried they wont bring back online once they feel comfortable enough to do so. They only changed it when pre-order sales looked bleek and its pretty obvious now that ms policies are not set in stone or sand for that matter. they can change day to day and Im not that comfortable with that.

I find it very hard to believe that they would just throw the switch on for a 24 hour check in, a year or two from now. Whenever I do pick up the system, its not even a concern for me.

Look how bad the blowout was regarding DRM, do you really think they would turn it on once everyone has one?

I'll need my car to pick it up :-/

What the hell am i gonna do with kinect? I have a flat screen, not my grandmother's TV.

What does this even mean?
Why would the depth of your television have anything to do with Kinect?
If you're gonna attempt to insult the system, at least say something that kind of makes sense.
Also, I believe you mean "flat panel" not "flat screen." Two different things.

verbum

yea its so paranoid to think a company thats constantly changing policies will continue to do so and possibly bring back old ones. When they took family sharing away it certainly seemed to me they wanted to hold it in case they bring back online requirements. In order to think like that though you have use your brain.

Probably should cut back on the vinegar, the grapes are getting sour.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I find it very hard to believe that they would just throw the switch on for a 24 hour check in, a year or two from now. Whenever I do pick up the system, its not even a concern for me.

Look how bad the blowout was regarding DRM, do you really think they would turn it on once everyone has one?

I'd imagine the blowout would be like when Sony removed OtherOS from the PS3. God what a mess that was.

If you're gonna attempt to insult the system, at least say something that kind of makes sense.

Eh, I can understand if you have your TV mounted on a wall or something like that. I use a TV stand so my Kinect sit in the back facing the wall ;)

Amir0x

Banned
Huzzah, more 180s. Let's keep the complaints going and get this system all the way there. A few more policies to go :D

No. There are cables out there that don't support the necessary bandwidth.

It is basically impossible to buy a standard hdmi cable these days. No one has sold anything but high speed cables for like 8 years. Bragging about including a "4k hdmi cable" is both desperate and sad, but typical of how they have tried to spin everything about the Xbox One.

nitrofeen

Banned

No obviously not like that but they could make changes to it or attempt to create a better image of it. If they are number one by then I dont put anything past what they think they can do. Its of course a bunch of ifs but I can only afford one console. Say they are in the lead in sales in two years whats the worst that going to happen if they make the change MS might think people arent going to abandon all their xbox live friends and achievements who knows what MS will think after all this xbox one stuff and as far as I know nobody has a good answer for why they removed family sharing so yes I say even though the chances are slim they are still there.

It is basically impossible to buy a standard hdmi cable these days. No one has sold anything but high speed cables for like 8 years. Bragging about including a "4k hdmi cable" is both desperate and sad, but typical of how they have tried to spin everything about the Xbox One.

Jesus dude just stop nitpicking.

Amir0x

Banned
How about netflix and etc that are behind gold?

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking. Hey Microsoft, you're a piece of shit for putting all that crap behind a paywall!

I'm one voice, if we unite all together, we can get them to reduce some of those policies too maybe. Who knows, but I'm feeling lucky

I think they're going over the waterfall with that price and Kinect so I'll put my energies on this bad policy. Maybe that's one final thing we can salvage

mrklaw

MrArseFace
IR Blaster. Kinect has and IR blaster array built in. Can turn on your TV, Cable Box, etc. so when you say “Xbox On” it will actually power your equipment, switch inputs, etc. (I know, TV TV TV but when you get to see it, you’ll understand.). As someone pointed out, if for some reason your setup doesn’t work with Kinect IR blasting, you can get a cable and connect to the port in the back.

That sounds like the IR blaster cable is an optional accessory and not bundled in - can you confirm either way?

Any info on whether you are looking at alternative remote control methods - eg TiVo series 3 can switch channel with network control (I use an iPad app and it is great). More reliable and faster than IR blasters

GamerTime

Banned
Microsoft does Mitt Romney proud.

Only they would think they can get away with reversing horrible decisions, and think people will vote for them over the better, and more stable competitor.

All these reversals is good, but it also makes Microsoft look worse by what they tried to get away with.

Rvaisse

It means the box is huge. I need my car to carry it.

Because kinect needs to put next to the TV and my flat screen is fixed on the wall with nothing on it or below it.

I may used the wrong word but you perfectly understood me.

You seem a bit nervous, calm down man.

Because kinect needs to put next to the TV and my flat screen is fixed on the wall with nothing on it or below it.

You have nothing underneath your TV? Do you not have a media center where all of your hardware goes?

NIGHT-

I guess my tv stand is bigger than most. I could easily fit the ps4 and Xbox one without taking out my current gen consoles.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
It still boggles my mind how a box that big with the specs it has still needs an external power supply.

It boggles my mind that the ps4 is as SMALL as the slim and has it built in.

I was expecting the ps4 to be as big as the ps3

I'm surprised so many people are bothered by this.
The Xbox Netflix app is shit. There are many other devices that also run Netflix and run it better.

I heard

def sim

I'm all for poo pooing on the Xbox if it's going to stop them from being total dimwits.

Still, at some point they're going to have to announce something new or different from what we expect rather than a reversal on their boneheaded policies.

JaggedSac

Glad this is finally out. Headset going in wasn’t really a backpedal so much as a collective “Really?” internally. At some point I hope to share the story behind that, but it’s not a 180 the way you guys think about. Doesn’t matter – I’m just glad we put it in.

IR Blaster. Kinect has and IR blaster array built in. Can turn on your TV, Cable Box, etc. so when you say “Xbox On” it will actually power your equipment, switch inputs, etc. (I know, TV TV TV but when you get to see it, you’ll understand.). As someone pointed out, if for some reason your setup doesn’t work with Kinect IR blasting, you can get a cable and connect to the port in the back.

Storage is about HDD space. This is a generic disclaimer. You lose some of the 500gb in formatting (just like every HDD), and we reserve some space. No different than 360 or PS3. It’s just a legal disclaimer, no shenanigans going on.

Be nice to Larry. I know you guys hate him, but he really is a great guy. Doing what he does is hard – being filmed, trying to be concise, trying to be personable and “official”. It’s rough. I guarantee if any of you could spend 10min with him face-to-face, you’d get what I’m saying. That’s my plug for Larry.

4K rated HDMI cable – you can blame me for that. My point was, we have in fact tested this cable against 4K, and made sure we didn’t get EMI interference with our internal radios. So I wanted people to be confident it wasn’t a POS generic HDMI cable – to make it work great, you need to test it with the system you ship, to make sure at full resolution you’re not getting any interference.

By the way – wouldn’t it technically be Xbox ONE EIGHTY?

I like that Kinect is an IR blaster, that is pretty cool. Does "XBox Off" turn everything off? Can we define custom voice commands to do different things with the IR blaster?

Haint

What happened to the Day One edition coming with a year of Gold? Was that just something made up by the Xbot defense force to create parity with the PS4's price or did they quietly cancel it?

Mount it under your tv. I'm putting my kinect over my pretty big Polk center channel speaker.

Good news for me is that my receiver and cablevision box look just like an xbox one. Both have the glossy and flat black design. Viera plasma matches as well. Count me in as one of the few who love the design and color choice.

PSGames

Jesus dude just stop nitpicking.

He's somewhat telling the truth though. They were championing features and even went as far as to rename features that come standard in modern AMD GPUs to make it look more exotic than it really is.

Marketing basically. Can't escape it.

rrs

The way everyone is excited about a $1.50 HDMI cable is hilarious.
Oh marketing.
WkA9Txv.jpg

I bet it will be the bane of big box retailers who want to push $092370913270410149709140142709241 HDMI cables made from holy grail ripoffs

What happened to the Day One edition coming with a year of Gold? Was that just something made up by the Xbot defense force to create parity with the PS4's price or did they quietly cancel it?

I don't think it ever came with a year of gold, but rather you could buy a special day one Xbox Gold card. The next post has more info on it.

Ovid

Doesn't come with one year of gold. It was a misunderstanding of the specs that Microsoft provided.

bj00rn_

Banned
The way everyone is excited about a $1.50 HDMI cable is hilarious.
Oh marketing.
http://i.imgur.com/WkA9Txv.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Everything seems silly if you remove the original context and replace it with something else to downplay it. A classic rhetorical trick. I just think people are happy that it's part of the package to make it feel more complete. Much like batteries coming with a remote: It's not much, but can be a lot, especially if you don't have any..

Amazon had it listed as being bundled with the Day One edition, but that was their mistake.

Rat Salad

Banned
It still boggles my mind how a box that big with the specs it has still needs an external power supply.

Might be just to make it look like there's more value out of the box. A huge console,a power brick,and the oversized kinect camera. To some it might make the $500.00 spent look 'sexier' with all stuff being pulled out of the box.

nitrofeen

Banned
Probably should cut back on the vinegar, the grapes are getting sour.

Even with me drinking my vinegar my point is still valid. There is a reason why many experts didnt think ms would change their policies at first and that is b/c it doesnt bode well for consumer confidence well probably not the younger consumers

FortMajor

Banned
Glad this is finally out. Headset going in wasn’t really a backpedal so much as a collective “Really?” internally. At some point I hope to share the story behind that, but it’s not a 180 the way you guys think about. Doesn’t matter – I’m just glad we put it in.

Storage is about HDD space. This is a generic disclaimer. You lose some of the 500gb in formatting (just like every HDD), and we reserve some space. No different than 360 or PS3. It’s just a legal disclaimer, no shenanigans going on.

Be nice to Larry. I know you guys hate him, but he really is a great guy. Doing what he does is hard – being filmed, trying to be concise, trying to be personable and “official”. It’s rough. I guarantee if any of you could spend 10min with him face-to-face, you’d get what I’m saying. That’s my plug for Larry.

4K rated HDMI cable – you can blame me for that. My point was, we have in fact tested this cable against 4K, and made sure we didn’t get EMI interference with our internal radios. So I wanted people to be confident it wasn’t a POS generic HDMI cable – to make it work great, you need to test it with the system you ship, to make sure at full resolution you’re not getting any interference.

By the way – wouldn’t it technically be Xbox ONE EIGHTY?

thanks for the heads up. Have to take the negativity with a grain of salt around here. There are many of us that are really excited for the xb1 launch.

tell Larry we think he is doing a great job too.

Top Bottom