• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2017 The Fighting Game Tournament of the Year (Read OP, No Game Whining)

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
As I'm not attending this year, I'll be watching this thread like a hawk.

Absolutely no whining about games will be allowed. No "Why is this game in the line-up" "When is this game over" yadda yadda. If you're doing something like this, you'll catch a short vacation.

Gonna add it to the OP so people are clear.

Just to be clear, Evo does whatever the hell they want for their Sunday schedule. They aren't using specific thresholds or metrics to determine what goes where. Arguments about entrant numbers or its first year don't really have much of an effect as a result.

Renta already said that to me, lol. No bueno in any case. Family obligations popped up last week that prevents any last minute trip.

This is where I point out that my current plan is to head to Shouta's place Friday night with a bag of clothes and food and toiletries and basically just watch EVO at his place for 2.5 days straight? He's not allowed to go! (I'm recovering from colon surgery, got out of the hospital today)

Ok so here's a list of notorious players in the SFV pools. Just people I recognized (And a bit of research). Not all of them are a threat to go far (Not all of them even have SFV as main game).

A300: Bonchan
A301: Haitani
A302: Xian
A303: Smug, Chocoblanka
A304: Kazunoko
A305: 801 Strider
a306: Mono
A307: Sabin
A308: Poongko, Rip
A309: Chris T, Austin Creed (Yes,The real one), Crackfiend
A310: Daigo, Chi-Rithy
A311: Dark Jiewa
A312: Infiltration, Floe
A313: Filipinoman
A314: Pnoy
A315: Will2pac, Killerkai
A318: Tse4
A319: Chris King
A320: ApologyMan, Viscant
A321: Bas
B300: Punk, Tonpy
B301: NuckleDu, Logansama
B302: Tokido
B303: Go1
B304: FChamp, Nin (Korean Tekken player)
B305: Luffy
B306: Brian_F
B307: Sako, Tyrant
B308: Dogura
B309: CJ_Truth
B310: Caba
B311: MOV
B312: Shine
B313: Marn
B314: Romance, Lapchi
B315: John Choi, Nemo, Hamad
B316: Afii
B317: Yipes
B319: Kashiwagi
B320: Kayane
C300: Yukadon, F-Word
C301: Fuudo, Lamerboi
C302: Momochi
C303: Xsk_Samurai
C304: Flash Metroid
C305: Brick
C306: Alex Myers
C307: Ricky Ortiz, xyzzy
C308: Vagabond
C309: CCL, Machabo
C311: AlucarD, Hsien Chang
C312: Gen1us, LI Joe
C313: HotDog29, Marvelo, ABEGEN
C314: Humanbomb
C317: CountBlack (yeay)
C318: Sandford
C319: Wolf, Marq Teddy
D300: Packz
D301: NL
D302: Commander Jesse, Ph Nando Tovar
D303: Chuan, Danke
D304: Wolfkrone
D305: Stupendous
D306: DRRay
D307: Kami
D308: Tampa Bison
D310: Akainu
D312: Afrocole
D313: Kindevu
D314: Chen Long
D316: Cloud805
D317: Reiketsu
D320: Xiaohu
E300: Verloren
E301: Chris G
E302: Big Bird
E303: Problem X
E304: Mago, Velociraptor, Brenttiscool
E305: Xiaohai
E306: Tachikawa, El cubano loco
E307: Daikoku
E309: Ludovic
E310: bjUNCHAINED, L0WRI3RGOD
E311: Imstilldadaddy
E313: ranmasama
E314: Yoro
E315: Infexious
F300: Snake Eyez, Dakou
F301: Oil King, Gllty
F302: Phenom, iPeru
F303: Itazan
F304: Justin Wong
F305: MenaRD, iDom
F306: GamerBee, DaFeetLee
F307: Kbrad, Eita
F308: Pr-Rog
F309: LPN
F310: Xiaobao
F311: Brolynho
F312: Cobelcog
F313: Mikeand1ke, JohnTakeuchi
F314: Gachikun, Jebailey, Dieminion
F315: Gondo
F316: Alex Valle, Madkof

If I missed someone important don't doubt to tell me

Some of the guys in the same pool will end up playing in round 2 if they win all the way to "final match. So matches that could potentially happen in first round

Punk vs Tonpy
Sako vs Tyrant
Nemo vs Hamad
Fuudo vs Lamerboi
GEN1US vs LI Joe
Velociraptor vs brenttiscool (it's a first match round)
bjUNCHAINED vs L0WRI3RGOD (also a "first" match round)
Snake Eyez vs Dakou
Oil King vs Gllty
Jebaited vs Dieminion

A303 also has DannyPham, who is one of the best 3-4 Zangief's in the world (he's the one who bopped Daigo at North American CPT last year, and Snake Eyes was like "Nope, not playing that dude"). He has a potential round 2 date with Chocoblanka

KyleP is in C316
Jibrill in C314

Don't see JLMN (if you watched the Red Bull Team Battlegrounds, he was the Seattle player OCV'ing all the teams) registered, alas.

Noble | Nightmare is in E314

Hmm... think I'll skip the morning DBFZ tournaments to let people get better at the game, then tune in for the afternoon tournaments. Actually, I might even skip the Friday DBFZ streams completely... but then I miss a lot of Marvel pools.

Too. Much. Hype. Not. Enough. Time.

In my mind DBFZ is a lock for Finals Sunday next year. I don't think entrants will top SF5, but I could totally see DBFZ being the #2 game or at least getting close to Smash numbers.

I'm gonna dual stream Marvel and DBFZ tomorrow.

I'm so happy we'll get some tournaments on DBFZ tomorrow ! Can't wait to see the MvC:I tourn.. Oh... But at least there will be a strea...

Capcom...

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Oh shit Marn made it to EVO this year

Boke1879

I can't wait to make it home and hopefully still have some DBZ tournaments going. Definitely want to see all I can of this game.

Man this year has a lot to live up to. I'd have to think about the rest of the list, but I wouldn't hesitate put LI Joe's run into Top 8 last year in the top 5 all time Evo moments.

Neoxon

Hmm... think I'll skip the morning DBFZ tournaments to let people get better at the game, then tune in for the afternoon tournaments. Actually, I might even skip the Friday DBFZ streams completely... but then I miss a lot of Marvel pools.

Too. Much. Hype. Not. Enough. Time.

In my mind DBFZ is a lock for Finals Sunday next year. I don't think entrants will top SF5, but I could totally see DBFZ being the #2 game or at least getting close to Smash numbers.
It also has to get through MvCI, and both Marvel & Capcom probably have big esports plans for the game. Though if either game will pass up the Smash games is the real question.

Tripon

Marn was there last year. I know because that fucker yelled at me to take Floe's seat as I was walking the arena to see if I wanted something to ear at the concessions stands.

This is where I point out that my current plan is to head to Shouta's place Friday night with a bag of clothes and food and toiletries and basically just watch EVO at his place for 2.5 days straight? He's not allowed to go! (I'm recovering from colon surgery, got out of the hospital today)

you all should be hanging out at the vmpnw house playing vsav

DrDogg

I'm gonna dual stream Marvel and DBFZ tomorrow.

Marvel is Sat/Sun, so the only conflict is Saturday. I like to hear commentary, especially if whoever is commentating DBFZ knows the game (unlikely?), so I may have both on, but with one muted.

It also has to get through MvCI, and both Marvel & Capcom probably have big esports plans for the game. Though if either game will pass up the Smash games is the real question.

I'm sure MVCI will do better than people are expecting right now, but I still think DBFZ could easily eclipse it, especially if the hype holds up post-release. It would be nice to see 5 games over 2k entrants next year though. I imagine both Smash games will get a bump from DBFZ and vice versa.

Neoxon

I'm sure MVCI will do better than people are expecting right now, but I still think DBFZ could easily eclipse it, especially if the hype holds up post-release. It would be nice to see 5 games over 2k entrants next year though. I imagine both Smash games will get a bump from DBFZ and vice versa.
It's certainly possible, but it's no guarantee, especially if MvCI's gameplay holds up as well as we've heard from those who tried the Versus build. But 5 games doing over 2k in entrants would be nuts in the best way possible.

Marvel is Sat/Sun, so the only conflict is Saturday. I like to hear commentary, especially if whoever is commentating DBFZ knows the game (unlikely?), so I may have both on, but with one muted.

Yeah I fucked up and thought they were on the same day. So Friday is DBZ and Saturday is Marvel.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
^Very likely.

Seems sponsors are pulling their triggers right before EVO.

Ryan LV is now sponsored by Splyce.

Speedkicks is now sponsored by Panda Global.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Will this be the thread to talk everything Evo or will there be individual Evo game threads

One and only.

We have been consistent in getting to OT 2. If I feel we won't make it I won't bother. Let's say we're near the end of this and there is a game or two left I'll make the thread a little early so we won't have the hassle of running to another thread during the middle of a finals.

Top Bottom