• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-GameTrailers staff announce new project EasyAllies

Hasney

Twtich chat was wondering if they could find out from Twitch if this is the most subs ever for a channel that has never even streamed yet.

JUGE50H.gif

Amazing.

Yes reviews are back! Can't wait for that sweet sweet TrailerJones voice to shower me in beautiful golden criticism and analysis.

Naythan

Just subbed on Twitch in addition to the $20 level at Patreon. Spreading around the wealth a little bit to support them at every avenue.

Here's the thing though, Kinda Funny is working off over 60,000 a month on Patreon AND sponsor deals / ads and they're making just enough to keep their company going with a small staff of 4 people. That means EZA will likely need more than that for them to commit full time. I hope that can happen, but I think it'll take more time.

A couple things on Kinda Funny...

- They have 5 staff (Greg, Colin, Nick, Tim, & Kevin)
- At least two of them seem to travel to every big convention. Travel isn't cheap and it's not necessarily a requirement for EzA's success.
- Most importantly, though...I don't think they've given the impression that they're struggling these days. They were definitely projecting a lot of fear a year ago when they left IGN since they didn't have that security anymore, but they've said a few times now that Patreon money is just a portion of their income and they're doing just fine and are very optimistic about their growth potential for the future.

Hasney

Seems like they're bringing back Pop Fiction if we reach that goal. I can't believe they only want 20k for that.

Huh, I figured it would be that Daily Damiani show he wanted to do before Defy canned him, but now we have the goal description, that's damn good.

What?? That's for Pop Fiction? That's one of my favourite shows of theirs, so hyped!

Sounds like it.

Damiani has big dreams about bringing the most fascinating legends in the history of video games to life. Will you make those dreams come true?

sora87

Lol no

People at large won't pay for this kind of stuff. Especially cuz it's free lots of places.

What I meant was, if you want content like this, you're gonna have to support it directly in the future I think. Only the "big" sites like IGN and Gamespot will keep going. You're gonna see most people going the crowdfunding route because they have the fanbase that prefer their content over other things.

fastmower

Here's the thing though, Kinda Funny is working off over 60,000 a month on Patreon AND sponsor deals / ads and they're making just enough to keep their company going with a small staff of 4 people. That means EZA will likely need more than that for them to commit full time. I hope that can happen, but I think it'll take more time.
That sounds like bullshit, honestly. 60k a month and ads/sponsors is plenty of money to support 4-5 people.

Brew124

Over $15k, and reviews are back! I threw in my $10/month earlier this morning. Hoping they can get to $20k today so that Damiani's new show (Pop Fiction rebirth?) is secured!

Vinc

A couple things on Kinda Funny...

- They have 5 staff (Greg, Colin, Nick, Tim, & Kevin)
- At least two of them seem to travel to every big convention. Travel isn't cheap and it's not necessarily a requirement for EzA's success.
- Most importantly, though...I don't think they've given the impression that they're struggling these days. They were definitely projecting a lot of fear a year ago when they left IGN since they didn't have that security anymore, but they've said a few times now that Patreon money is just a portion of their income and they're doing just fine and are very optimistic about their growth potential for the future.

You're right, and I shouldn't have phrased it that way as I know they're not exactly struggling, but I do remember Greg saying they couldn't add someone on staff for example. But honestly, I'm pretty much just guessing and have no idea how much it would cost to get them all on board full time. I hope it can happen though!

Tankard

That sounds like bullshit, honestly. 60k a month and ads/sponsors is plenty of money to support 4-5 people.

Not BS, but not very well informed.

They talked about this in the last few months, even Colin opened up to say that he can't lie about it, they are doing really well for themselves and doing even better than they did back on IGN.

Zafir

Given a dollar for now, but i'll most likely increase it when I get home from work and have decided on what I can give.

Wiggy

I've been listening to old GT Time and its reminded me how much I missed Damiani, glad they are bringing him back. Hopefully he can skype into the podcast sometimes.

Vinc

I now received three separate emails from Patreon that they've reached 15k. Is this because they keep going back and forth or just a Patreon issue?

I've been listening to old GT Time and its reminded me how much I missed Damiani, glad they are bringing him back. Hopefully he can skype into the podcast sometimes.

Maybe the solution to LA being so pricy is that the whole gang just moves to Texas with Damiani.

Urgh, just looked at their schedule. Some of those are really awful for us Euros. :(

Can't be helped I guess.

Archives!

You're right, and I shouldn't have phrased it that way as I know they're not exactly struggling, but I do remember Greg saying they couldn't add someone on staff for example. But honestly, I'm pretty much just guessing and have no idea how much it would cost to get them all on board full time. I hope it can happen though!

Yeah, I think they're hesitant to add a 6th staff but it seems more like they don't want to grow too quickly and aren't sure what that person would do. There's a lot of questions there about whether you want to hire on-camera talent or another producer/editor. If it's the talent, do you have enough manpower to edit the extra content? If it's a producer/editor, are you able to film enough content to keep your editors/producers busy/engaged?

To me, it seems like they'll bide their time until they can expand in a more visible way...like adding 2-3 staff at once and creating some new shows.That's just my take on their company and I have no idea how accurate it is...just sharing my two cents.

Back on topic...Just pledged my $5/month for EasyAllies and can't wait to see what they're able to do! Hopefully more groups like this coming into the Twitch/YouTube space means we'll get some more collaboration between them that we wouldn't have seen when they were at the big sites like IGN/GameTrailers/GameSpot/etc. I'd love to see Tim from Kinda Funny do something with Kyle from Easy Allies...I feel like they both have that deep love for Nintendo in common and they both reference GAF more than anyone else at their respective companies.

MODEYV3

Banned
Sat down, looked at EZA, 12k. Went shower, got ready, came back and its at 15K! Great support for them so far. Hope they reach the 50K mark, as they should have a long and older following, therefore reaching to higher amount of people who can support them and aren't 12-18 year olds.

Hasney

Urgh, just looked at their schedule. Some of those are really awful for us Euros. :(

Can't be helped I guess.

I think they've sensibly put their regular streaming schedule after when they would likely be finished from work if they do get other jobs. Hopefully we get some friendly time ones at some point though!

Top Bottom