• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-GameTrailers staff announce new project EasyAllies

Bluenoser

Oh really, I never actually knew that. Thanks for the info. Do Patreon say that in their ToS or something. or how did you know?

Yes, there's a little icon you can click on that shows this info- not sure if the button is only there for patrons or not. They used to have it structured so it showed 100% of donations, but people complained that the creator wasn't actually receiving what it was showing, so they modified it.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
YES. YES. JUST YES.

So glad to see that the GT fans are putting their weight on this. I've just gotten up and almost all stretch goals are achieved.

I'm glad that Kyle is also doing his own show. Fuck yeah. Best timeline.

Tankard

Just to quote Galactic Mouse

Also, the fact that Patreon takes 8% of their revenue, as well as additional taxes. Patreon is not tax free, it's money you're taking in with the promise of delivering a product. How it's taxed is unknown, but remember, you're not funding the KF members directly, you're funding a company in which payroll is only one of the many expenses.

You're also making a lot of assumptions on each member's financial situation.

No it's not bullshit. And yes, they are financially secure. I don't ever remember them saying "great" (so perhaps a source would be appreciated), but it's all relative. (See post above).

It's not assumption, they've talked about it in their daily shows being daily gamescast, gameovergreg, twitch daily show. The most recent i remember was Colin saying they are doing great, that back on IGN they already made good money and now they are doing even better.

First thing I noticed. No Bosman show, no support.

Bosman said on twitter that he is doing a show under on his own youtube page, no mention of a separate Patreon at this time. I does make sense for them to to segregate this a bit. Bosman can have full ownership of his new IP, and they can track the success of one piece of great content against the rest of their catalog.

Edit: Beat to the punch so hard

Hasney

Broke $16k while I was taking a call. Madness.

Bosman said on twitter that he is doing a show under on his own youtube page, no mention of a separate Patreon at this time. I does make sense for them to to segregate this a bit. Bosman can have full ownership of his new IP, and they can track the success of one piece of great content against the rest of their catalog.

He said it will still be on the EZA YT page now rather than his own.

The reviews will get picked up quite quickly as they are established writers and it'll take off. I see this as the "initial investment" for them to get the company off the ground, small price to pay for the content they produce.

Vinc

I really wonder how much they were truly expecting to get deep down... I hope they're happy with the support they're currently getting and not actually secretly disappointed. Can't wait for the stream, it'll be glorious.

Alucrid

Banned
I really wonder how much they were truly expecting to get deep down... I hope they're happy with the support they're currently getting and not actually secretly disappointed. Can't wait for the stream, it'll be glorious.

16k in 10 hours?

Hasney

Can't blame him if he wants to keep the IP rights after last time though.

Knowing Kyle and his self confessed quirks and that he already talked about the pressure of Patreon, it's probably more that he doesn't want to let anyone down who would be paying directly for a show he's solely responsible for.

From the way Brandon was talking on KindaFunny, I don't think he thought they'd hit anywhere close to the review tier straight away. He was talking about doing it again "some day".

Axass

Knowing Kyle and his self confessed quirks and that he already talked about the pressure of Patreon, it's probably more that he doesn't want to let anyone down who would be paying directly for a show he's solely responsible for.

I want to hug him so much.

Tankard

Well, you already have the answer from Kyle.

Kyle Bosman ‏@KyleBosman 7 hHá 7 horas
I was panicking for 48 hours straight about this Patreon and my worst fears have already been squashed. THANK YOU! Here's to new fears!

My suggestion i'll throw out into the ether...GT Time-ish new podcast upload to itunes same day as recorded (same as they did at GT) and have podcast 2 be the one that is exclusive early as that deals with less time sensitive material.

Same here, Already pledged but I prefer to download the audio. This is the issue with a paywall, even if you are on the other side of it.

Can't blame him if he wants to keep the IP rights after last time though.

I wouldn't be surprised if the rights to the Ian, Kyle, Jones, and Huber shows were owned directly by each show runner. No reason not to since there'd be no point in doing a Huber Hype style show if Michael Huber leaves.

It's not assumption, they've talked about it in their daily shows being daily gamescast, gameovergreg, twitch daily show. The most recent i remember was Colin saying they are doing great, that back on IGN they already made good money and now they are doing even better.

True, true. I'm just saying though it's not like they're living the high life :p

Hasney

Same here, Already pledged but I prefer to download the audio. This is the issue with a paywall, even if you are on the other side of it.

No doubt they'd be receptive if people asked them to throw an MP3 up on the Patreon page. I'm sure it supports audio.

I really hope the first thing they do when the stream begins is to clarify the Bosman situation, a lot of people are unaware that he's actually doing a new show, just not tied in to the stretch goals. That should bring a lot more of backers.

I'll be pledging 5 bucks for now, this dudes deserve it.

Vinc

I'm sure they can provide an audio-only version fairly easily, or you could probably use some software to get it directly from the video.

GlamFM

Banned
I really hope the first thing they do when the stream begins is to clarify the Bosman situation, a lot of people are unaware that he's actually doing a new show, just not tied in to the stretch goals. That should bring a lot more of backers.

I'll be pledging 5 bucks for now, this dudes deserve it.

They should update the Patreon description actually.

Naythan

They should have done something like made Kyle's new show a $1 stretch goal or something. People are misinformed lol.

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
Excited these guys are back, but I wasn't feeling that announcement video. It was too long.

Tankard

True, true. I'm just saying though it's not like they're living the high life :p

Sure. I think the whole point of this conversation is to calm people down about EZA guys future.
These guys have a massive following, that being Kinda Funny, Screwattack, GT, and even if in the beginning they will have to struggle with money for 8-9 people, the content they will produce will generate sponsorship, twitch subs and donations will help them a lot also and things will pick up. I never doubted this and I still think they won't even need other jobs outside of this one, they will be fine.

DannyDanger

Gold Member
No it's not bullshit. And yes, they are financially secure. I don't ever remember them saying "great" (so perhaps a source would be appreciated), but it's all relative. (See post above).

Its definitely bullshit

The post in question the dude says they make just enough to support the show...

They have never said that. And they have said they're doing great.

Do i need to re-watch the gamescasts to find the examples???

m@cross

I used to pay $15 a month to play an mmo, so $10 Patreon and $5 Twitch is pretty damn reasonable to give me back these guys.

Top Bottom