• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-St. Louis police officer Jason Stockley found not guilty of murder

whipihguh

Banned
Isn't a cop supposed to control themselves and their actions when in the heat of the moment? Isn't that the whole point of having cops upholding the law rather than just random citizens?

Absolutely no reason for the judge to excuse the officer's words just because of it being a heated incident. If anything, it's all the more damning.

This whole system is broken to the core.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Isn't a cop supposed to control themselves and their actions when in the heat of the moment? Isn't that the whole point of having cops upholding the law rather than just random citizens?

Absolutely no reason for the judge to excuse the officer's words just because of it being a heated incident. If anything, it's all the more damning.

This whole system is broken to the core.

Well there's a massive issue with police culture that perpetuates this kind of behavior. Past that, I always wonder if a lot of the problem stems from low pay (which only attracts certain types of individuals to that career) and hiring veterans who may or may not have PTSD or poor judgment from a career serving overseas in a hostile envrionment and then bringing that baggage into the job.

In an ideal world, all cops would have something like a psychology degree but I'm guessing that would be too expensive?

Ponn

Banned
White supremacy protects it's own. Wish people would understand this.

Things have gotten more volatile though and that's the crazy part is there willing to fan these flames and put all their supposed "brotherhood" in danger of retribution just to protect "the bad ones" I mean it shows how false #notallcops is and how far they are willing to go to be complicit. I'm not saying I wish or want something to happen but as we've seen in the past couple years some people are being pushed to the edge now. And instead of looking at these key events that are the fuse when something does happen everybody will suddenly come down with memories of goldfish and blame BLM or now antifa.

They want to have a trial and discuss when cops kill, and put the victims on trial and their history. But its inappropriate and "not the time" to discuss when retribution hits the police. There's nothing to discuss for some strange reason except BLM incited the incident. Ignoring it won't make it stop, but I'm wondering how long will the supposedly good cops keep protecting their own when shit keeps getting escalated. And the morbid irony of the ones doing the escalation usually aren't even on the front lines standing by them anymore.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
DOB0LpP.png

Fuck this judge.

This is fucking unbelievable. What that hell man.

appaws

Banned
One of the problems here, from a legal point of view, is overcharging. These first-degree murder charges are often demanded by the public, but it makes it very hard to prosecute the case. The pressure to always go for the highest charge can put prosecutors in a big bind.

I am not totally familiar with the case, but I think I would have charged second-degree here, and had a better chance of meeting the standard. (I've only just glanced at the Missouri statutes for like five minutes.)

One of the problems here, from a legal point of view, is overcharging. These first-degree murder charges are often demanded by the public, but it makes it very hard to prosecute the case. The pressure to always go for the highest charge can put prosecutors in a big bind.

I am not totally familiar with the case, but I think I would have charged second-degree here, and had a better chance of meeting the standard. (I've only just glanced at the Missouri statutes for like five minutes.)

Nah, I see the overcharging as the prosecutors helping the defendants. It is not unintentional.

Kill3r7

Nah, I see the overcharging as the prosecutors helping the defendants. It is not unintentional.

I don't think it would matter as the D would still be able to establish self-defense. The prosecution would likely still fail due to their inability to prove that he planted the gun.

Mark L

Wrongo. The judge had discretion to hit him with a lower charge.

Edit: http://fox2now.com/2017/09/14/judge-has-leeway-in-stockley-decision/

appaws

Banned

Of course that is possible in some cases. There are corrupt prosecutors out there. Seems unlikely here, as the prosecution fought the move to a bench trial by the defense in this case.

The First Degree murder hurdle is intentionally set high, and I assume most Gaffers would support that if the defendant was not a cop.

I think they could have gotten this one by being a little more conservative.

Mark L

Of course that is possible in some cases. There are corrupt prosecutors out there. Seems unlikely here, as the prosecution fought the move to a bench trial by the defense in this case.

The First Degree murder hurdle is intentionally set high, and I assume most Gaffers would support that if the defendant was not a cop.

I think they could have gotten this one by being a little more conservative.

No. See above.

The only hurdle that's high here is convicting a white cop of killing a black man.

gdt

This judge seems like a racist wacko. None of those arguments make sense, and quite a few sound like whistles.

Long time lurker here, and I know gaf is a tad left and I've stayed quiet but recent comments are just.. nope.

If the police say tell you to lay down, you do it, simple as fuck.
You don't start to argue, just don't, just do as they tell you.

Then, if you feel you're wronged, you deal with it after.

Use your brain, but if you're being chased by the cops you have done something wrong.

Mark L

Yes he did. But as you learn in criminal trial classes, it's dangerous to lean on that. Judges are often reluctant to do it. You need to charge where you have your best case.

Trust me, I've been there.

If you think that this judge would have found this defendant guilty on a lesser charge if it had been brought by the prosecution, but did not choose to exercise that discretion to make that happen himself, then I don't know what to tell you.

Long time lurker here, and I know gaf is a tad left and I've stayed quiet but recent comments are just.. nope.

Use your brain, but if you're being chased by the cops you have done something wrong.

"Long time lurker"

Fuck your alt. You're a goddamn coward.

Until they shoot you anyway for following directions.

Works great if you're white, though. They may even give you a reach around after.

Doomsayer

He was killed and they planted a gun in his car.

Go fuck yourself.

Mark L

None of that is at issue here. Stop talking.

So St.Louis residents get ready for the next stage of the police officer murders black man gets off then family files a multi million dollar wrongful death law suit and state settles. Tax payers foot the bill for state sponsored murder. The only way to solve this problem because the majority of people refuse to address this problem to is make the wrongful death law suit settlements so outrageous that it breaks the city's budgets.

kris.

Banned

Get the actual fuck out of here.

I'm honestly surprised no one has taken justice into their own hands at this point. Police and the judiciary are basically advocating for wild west style justice, ie: whoever holds the smoking gun while still standing is the victor.

I keep asking what you do when the system proves on a consistent basis that there is no justice for people who look like you.

Nobody has an answer, but most everyone ABSOLUTELY says there cannot be any form of taking law into your own hands.

Hmm.

Heroman

Banned

If only this was true.

appaws

Banned
So St.Louis residents get ready for the next stage of the police officer murders black man gets off then family files a multi million dollar wrongful death law suit and state settles. Tax payers foot the bill for state sponsored murder. The only way to solve this problem because the majority of people refuse to address this problem to is make the wrongful death law suit settlements so outrageous that it breaks the city's budgets.

If I'm not mistaken that has all already happened in this case. There was already a civil settlement reached.

Victim blaming when the cop clearly murdered a man?

I mean, if someone told me they were gonna kill me I'd run like hell too.

I can see why you lurk......

norm9

The flipside would be the city deciding to limit wrongful death law settlements because too many of these people see a chance at free money.

Maledict

Why am I coward?
Am I coward because I respect the laws of the country I'm in?
Alt, alt what? Alt-coward, Alt-snake?

He was murdered by the police who then planted a gun in his car.

The side not respecting the laws of the country was not the guy lying dead on the ground.

Lol

How this mentality is still prevalent when it comes to this kind of case is beyond me. Wake the fuck up, and look at this case and the facts presented. If you still feel this cop did the right thing well you need your fucking head examined.

Also why the fuck did you even feel the need to bring up that GAF swings left? We are talking about a man getting fucking killed here. Not our political party standings. Christ.

Obama severely fucked up by not reinstating The Freedman's Bureau. The US and its localities have been at war with Blacks for 4 centuries now.

Kill3r7

I keep asking what you do when the system proves on a consistent basis that there is no justice for people who look like you.

Nobody has an answer, but most everyone ABSOLUTELY says there cannot be any form of taking law into your own hands.

Hmm.

It's a catch-22. I am not sure where taking the law into your own hands gets you. The outcome is likely the same, death or life in prison.

you serious!?!?!?

Edit: lol only 6 post and most in this thread; looking to "stir up dem liburals!!!"

He was murdered by the police who then planted a gun in his car.

The side not respecting the laws of the country was not the guy lying dead on the ground.

Have you got proof?
Photos, videos, etc?

Sorry if I'm not taking the word from internet rumours about such a grave case.

Top Bottom