• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-St. Louis police officer Jason Stockley found not guilty of murder

appaws

Banned
Long time lurker here, and I know gaf is a tad left and I've stayed quiet but recent comments are just.. nope.

If the police say tell you to lay down, you do it, simple as fuck.
You don't start to argue, just don't, just do as they tell you.

Then, if you feel you're wronged, you deal with it after.

Use your brain, but if you're being chased by the cops you have done something wrong.

Dude, I'm not the typical gaf leftist who will just now call you names or whatever.

But, you have to think in terms of individual rights vs. the power of the state. We need to hold police to VERY high standards, because they have the power of life and death over people on a daily basis.

Smith did "something wrong." I agree with you. But he was not convicted and sentenced by a jury of his peers, and he ended up dead under suspicious circumstances (to say the least). We need to fear the power of the state and constrain it whenever we can, including police officers.

Mark L

NAACP have asked the Justice Department to review the decision.

Don't know if I'm gonna laugh or cry.

Eh, gonna stick with cry I think.

whipihguh

Banned
Well there's a massive issue with police culture that perpetuates this kind of behavior. Past that, I always wonder if a lot of the problem stems from low pay (which only attracts certain types of individuals to that career) and hiring veterans who may or may not have PTSD or poor judgment from a career serving overseas in a hostile envrionment and then bringing that baggage into the job.

In an ideal world, all cops would have something like a psychology degree but I'm guessing that would be too expensive?

Low pay and veteran hiring could be a significant factor in a lot of "shoot first" situations over the years. I think lengthier and more intensive training would help mitigate a lot of these incidents, but it would take a very long time. That being said, I don't that higher pay or training would really affect situations like this incident. Planting a gun obviously isn't a "heat of the moment" thing.

Like you said, a great deal of problems stem from current police culture, and are probably intrinsic problems within entire departments. The lack of any serious punishment externally is bad enough, but a lot of these issues would never occur in the first place if departments actually took action against bad cops internally instead of slaps on the wrist and looking the other way. Once shit like this is normalized, it's really difficult to go back, especially when the justice system of America stands by their tolerance of it.

Garlador

Why am I coward?
Am I coward because I respect the laws of the country I'm in?
Alt, alt what? Alt-coward, Alt-snake?

Okay, I'll play this game.

Cops shoot unarmed caregiver man on the ground with hands in the air trying to help another man.
160721-miami-police-shooting-kinsey-mn-1755_a661d820af8b9e3a5f1e3b9038b58260.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg

Explain to me what he should have done different. I'll wait.

Long time lurker here, and I know gaf is a tad left and I've stayed quiet but recent comments are just.. nope.

Use your brain, but if you're being chased by the cops you have done something wrong.

Except if they shoot and kill you before you're able to "deal with it after" just because you have the wrong skin color.

And the bolded isn't always true. How many times have we heard of some poor black person being chased by cops just because they fit a description of a black person? Trust me, it's happened and I've been witness to a few of them. Or the case of James Blake the black tennis player who was tackled to the ground just standing around minding his own business.

It's comments like this which embolden cop apologists/blue lives matter people all over this country like the police can never do wrong.

____

Hello.

I’d like to offer a response to your argument:

Fuck you.

And please don’t hesitate to take that in the most disrespectful way imagineable.

MisterR

I know this will be very unpopular, but I read all of the judges statement and from a legal perspective, it makes sense. The only evidence of the gun being planted is the DNA from the cop and none from the victim, but both experts who testified stated that that didn't mean the victim hadn't handled the gun and we know the cop handled the gun. The wound to the lower left flank would tend to support that the victim was reaching to the right. Basically, there is reasonable doubt in this case.

None of that changes the fact that there is underlying racism all through the criminal justice system and is basically systematic throughout American life. I just think after reading it all, the Judge's ruling is not as crazy as it sounds if you just read the blurbs.

alt account. alternate account. it's when people post stupid shit on a burner account so they don't get their main perm'd

Ah, yes, I like to be on waiting list, just to spew 3 comments before someone bans the account.

Now back to topic:
The hate the police gets is just, wrong.

Yes, I'm Swedish, and I don't live in the US, but I can comment on the issue anyway.

FACTS show that people of color don't get shot anymore than white people, but they get shot because the try to run from the cops more.

Sunster

Ah, yes, I like to be on waiting list, just to spew 3 comments before someone bans the account.

Now back to topic:

Yes, I'm Swedish, and I don't live in the US, but I can comment on the issue anyway.

FACTS show that people of color don't get shot anymore than white people, but they get shot because the try to run from the cops more.

citation needed.

Can you guys PLEASE stop responding to the stupid trashbag victim blaming alt and report him to a mod?

Responding over and over so he can go out in a blaze of glory is what he wants. Jesus Christ.

kris.

Banned

Now back to topic:

that's where youre wrong, kiddo

Enzom21

Can you guys PLEASE stop responding to the stupid trashbag victim blaming alt and report him to a mod?

Responding over and over so he can go out in a blaze of glory is what he wants. Jesus Christ.

This is good advice everyone should take.
Don't feed that trash.

Heroman

Banned

Now back to topic:

What?
1. It is illegal to shoot a fleeing suspect ,
2.African american are disproportional shot by the police
3. American law enforcement has had a long history of killing black people

Dont talk about shit you clearly know noting about , it makes you look stupid.

Now back to topic:

Holy fuck you are ignorant.

Kill3r7

I know this will be very unpopular, but I read all of the judges statement and from a legal perspective, it makes sense. The only evidence of the gun being planted is the DNA from the cop and none from the victim, but both experts who testified stated that that didn't mean the victim hadn't handled the gun and we know the cop handled the gun. The wound to the lower left flank would tend to support that the victim was reaching to the right. Basically, there is reasonable doubt in this case.

None of that changes the fact that there is underlying racism all through the criminal justice system and is basically systematic throughout American life. I just think after reading it all, the Judge's ruling is not as crazy as it sounds if you just read the blurbs.

The prosecution failed to prove that the gun was planted. That is the biggest issue here. However, the judge interprets the evidence in the view that is most favorable to the defendant. You could argue that the wound being consistent with reaching does not indicate whether the victim was reaching for a weapon or if he was reaching up to cover his face/head.

Now back to topic:

You mean your VPN is routing you through Sweden.

MisterR

The prosecution failed to prove that the gun was planted. That is the biggest issue here. However, the judge interprets the evidence in the view that is most favorable to his verdict. You could easily argue that the wound being consistent with reaching does not indicate whether the victim was reaching for a weapon or if he was reaching up to cover his face/head.

Very true, but the burden is on the State, not the defendant. The state has to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt, and I think they failed in this case. There is just not beyond a reasonable doubt proof, after reading the report that the gun was planted and without that, it's super hard to disprove self defense.

Gattsu25

Banned
Have you got proof?
Photos, videos, etc?

Sorry if I'm not taking the word from internet rumours about such a grave case.
How exactly does anything stay in your car without ANY of your DNA on it?

Not a fingerprint, not a loose strand of hair, not a single flake of dead skin.

How sway? How?

NAACP have asked the Justice Department to review the decision.

Don't know if I'm gonna laugh or cry.

Eh, gonna stick with cry I think.

Like the verdict of this case wasn't enough, all they're doing is providing Jeff Sessions more materials to fap to. They won't do shit.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I mean, for me, someone saying "We are killing this motherfucker" followed by killing said "motherfucker" less than a minute later, kind of shows intent. Also the fact that the judge refers to the victim as "Urban heroin dealer", which seemingly legitimize his death also tells me that there might be a been a tinge of impartiality there.

But hey what do I know?

This getting tiredsome, so I'm gonna leave this topic.

However, I'm willing to prove I'm Swedish anyway you want.
You getting nervous? Your rhetoric is obviously of the American conservative variety. It'd figure a coward would try and mask his IP to avoid a ban on his main.

Did you get all your rage out chicken shit? You're so scared to stand behind your toxic views that you won't even risk a forum account.

Pathetic.

appaws

Banned

Good post. I would assume that the judge did not get to the bench by being a complete nutcase.

Cops obviously do plant evidence...we saw it in those Baltimore cases (and others as well). But it wasn't proven here. There aren't any judges who would have ruled that way based on the DNA alone.

MisterR

Good post. I would assume that the judge did not get to the bench by being a complete nutcase.

Cops obviously do plant evidence...we saw it in those Baltimore cases (and others as well). But it wasn't proven here. There aren't any judges who would have ruled that way based on the DNA alone.

Yep, It would shock me in no way if the cop planted that gun. But, just looking at the evidence, there is no proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
The prosecution failed to prove that the gun was planted. That is the biggest issue here. However, the judge interprets the evidence in the view that is most favorable to the defendant. You could argue that the wound being consistent with reaching does not indicate whether the victim was reaching for a weapon or if he was reaching up to cover his face/head.

Yes, though the point here that is that the failure was to prove beyond reasonable doubt. Why I wouldn't blame prosecution is that the judges "reasonable doubt" was provably shaded by his racial dispositions.

His doubt assumes the victim had the weapon because he's a black drug dealer, and assumes the cops words weren't intent because he trusts a white cop.

I'd be interested to see his level of doubt in similar cases with reversed race.

In this thread you have somewhat a public jury or peers that, based on the evidence, believe beyond reasonable doubt. Who knows what a selected jury would choose.

Top Bottom