• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EXCLUSIVE | Microsoft plans Starfield launch for PlayStation 5

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
People actually thinking GamePass is still any kind of good thing for Xbox really do need their heads tested at this stage.

It’s clearly been an utter failure. You don’t port your biggest exclusive games to the competition if you’re being successful in your current strategy.

Gamepass is an excellent service. The problem is that Microsoft bet the farm on gamepass and it just didn't pay off. No way of knowing what the mass market will go for. They tried and failed. Now this is the reality. They got employees to pay and profits to earn and daddy satya closed the wallet and laid the law down.

Xbox as exclusive entity is gone. They will be full third party. Gamepass will exist in its capacity and coast or close depending if it turns around and they will make their money from playstation and nintendo, pc.

They tried and failed miserably.

Last edited:

DJ12

Gamepass is an excellent service. The problem is that Microsoft bet the farm on gamepass and it just didn't pay off. No way of knowing what the mass market will go for. They tried and failed. Now this is the reality. They got employees to pay and profits to earn and daddy satya closed the wallet and laid the law down.

Xbox as exclusive entity is gone. They will be full third party. Gamepass will exist in its capacity and coast or close depending if it turns around and they will make their money from playstation and nintendo, pc.

They tried and failed miserably.
Pretty sure there was a way of knowing people aren't going to go for a subscription with over-hyped piss poor content.

peish

Gold Member
Starfield on Ps5.

NOW WITH VEHICLES AND NO LOADING SCREENS!

…they should just take Phil out the back and put him out of his misery.

It is ok, trust in Phil, you all owed him one. He is going to give you more value for gaming. He is doing what he believes, that is no need for console tribalism.

He is a leader taking the first great steps.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I didn't say which ten mins! 🤣
giphy.gif

Raven117

Gold Member
Where is that thread when Microsoft first bought Bethesda. I was assured that despite the vague language given by Microsoft, posters assured me that Bethesda games would NEVER come to PlayStation.

And here we are.

havoc00

The worst part is that they are giving up just as XGS is going into full swing and starting to release marquee titles, we literally waited for this moment since 2018 when they bought all those studios and they will give up the literal year where they will finally reach their 4 AAA per year 1st party goal.

havoc00

So this is a desperate last ditch type thing? If this was the plan for awhile this would have came out during the hearings for Acitivision?

Nydius

Gold Member
The worst part is that they are giving up just as XGS is going into full swing and starting to release marquee titles, we literally waited for this moment since 2018 when they bought all those studios and they will give up the literal year where they will finally reach their 4 AAA per year 1st party goal.

You say “giving up”, I say “realizing the only way they’ll capitalize on those acquisitions is by selling games where people play and buy them”.

Because that’s the reality of it. Microsoft might have ridiculous amounts of money but shareholders still want to see growth in their product lines. Not 20 years of losing money on hardware only to end up in a worse position against their main competitor than they were when they started.

Ultimately, Microsoft needs to sell games because they’re losing money on hardware and treading water with subscription revenues. But their marketing decisions re: Game Pass have conditioned their most hardcore fans to NOT buy games on the platform. They have little choice but to expand to other platforms.

This is a mess entirely of their own making. One bad decision trying to fix a previous bad decision over and over for the last 13 years.

Nydius

Gold Member
He was a pretty obnoxious Xbox fan back in the day. Maybe he's softened or at the woke forum now?
He hasn’t softened. He’s been having a complete and utter epic meltdown on Twitter/X all day. The kind of meltdown that got him banned from here to begin with. 🤣

Ed: Sorry for the back to back posts. The thread was moving fast enough I thought it would get posted behind someone else.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
So this is a desperate last ditch type thing?

I don't think so. It's long felt like the Xbox brand was taking a seat to Game Pass and subscription services need to be everywhere to have a chance of working. They certainly need more than the dwindling reach of Xbox hardware for it to be viable. And pivoting from Game Pass to just having MGS be a 3rd party publisher and/or selling off development teams and/or IP is fairly straight forward.

damidu

So this is a desperate last ditch type thing? If this was the plan for awhile this would have came out during the hearings for Acitivision?
im guessing exclusives of last year, especially starfield having zero effect on gamepass and xbox woes triggered the move.
you cant make nutella to wait for "next year" indefinetly unlike the stupid fanboys
especially after burning 100billion

Last edited:

havoc00

I don't think so. It's long felt like the Xbox brand was taking a seat to Game Pass and subscription services need to be everywhere to have a chance of working. They certainly need more than the dwindling reach of Xbox hardware for it to be viable. And pivoting from Game Pass to just having MGS be a 3rd party publisher and/or selling off development teams and/or IP is fairly straight forward.

I mean this pretty much kills another xbox console, how the F will buy one now? Unless they do the third party thing like 3do but that was a failed experiment too

Reactions: Isa

Edellus

I usually don't post in this type of threads (platform centric), but even though Playstation is my preferred and only platform for gaming and this would mean that I would be getting more games to choose from; the idea of Xbox going multiplatform feels almost apocalyptic to me, lol. I pretty much grew up in a Playstation VS Xbox era, and this would be too great a paradigm shift.

W/e happens, I hope Playstation is kept on their toes by either Xbox or something else. I want for Playstation to have more reasons to innovate and deliver more fun and more varied games, not less.

bender

What time is it?
I mean this pretty much kills another xbox console, how the F will buy one now? Unless they do the third party thing like 3do but that was a failed experiment too

The point I was making is that I don't think Microsoft wants to be in the hardware market any longer. They take losses on every unit sold, have lost momentum in a lot of their stronger territories and have never made inroads into others. I don't think Xbox as a brand is long for this world. And just because they've done R&D into a next generation system doesn't mean much. You'd do that years in advanced to be prepared but it doesn't guarantee you are going to pull the trigger.

Last edited:

havoc00

The point I was making is that I don't think Microsoft wants to be in the hardware market any longer. They take losses on every unit sold, have lost momentum in a lot of their stronger territories and have never made inroads into others. I don't think Xbox as a brand is long for this world. And just because they've done R&D into a next generation system doesn't mean much. You'd do that years in advanced to be prepared but it doesn't guarantee you are going to pull the trigger.
They had everything going during the 360 era and just squandered it all away

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I think it's more that they're seeing a big budget game (Starfield) underperform on their own platform, and probably also looking at the huge pile of money they got from putting it on Steam (another storefront), despite Valve taking their 30% cut like Sony would. They're coming to the inevitable conclusion that they would rather sell software than hardware. Microsoft is a software company, after all.

DJ12

You all should've listened to me 2 years ago....

Spencer mentioned he’d like Gamepass to be on PlayStation In 2020 and hasn’t said anything since then. And then your ‘logic’ is that since he said he’s has conversations with them, there’s nothing else he could have spoken to them about aside from Gamepass.
How does that make sense??
Sony and MS collaborate on many things. It’s even way more likely that conversations could be about Phil’s desire to have cross-platform ban lists, joint lobbying efforts or Azure integration for Sony’s streaming service.

Thankfully, as a multi-console owner, I’ve never had to come up with a ‘cope’ for anything. Freudian Slip? Afterall, You’ve been busy in the past few days telling everyone that Xbox is going 3rd party 😂😂😂

Dont ask me, I'm not Phil, you would have to ask him why they asked Sony if they can have gamepass on PlayStation. We are talking about insider knowledge here not anything Phil has said publicly, even though what he says publicly confirms its his goal anyway. And of course he's talking about random unrelated topics when this news broke. I see this is your cope. Denial.

Yeah just like every fanboy, your a multi console owner. How often do you turn on your ps1 these days?

It's not rocket science to see xbox is not important to Microsoft anymore, but saying this doesn't mean they won't make an xbox of some description. But I guess this is part of your cope also.

I'll look for you when you get to the acceptance stage....

Bla bla bla cope 😂

Got my PS5, Series X and Switch launch day so I don’t have to make up fan-fiction on Internet forums like you.

Man’s basically posting a big Freudian Slip as an argument. I see you in the threads comforting your fanboy brethren “don’t worry fellas, MS is about to go 3rd party any day now”.

A more productive use of your time and imagination would be to petition Sony to enable the web browser on PS5 so you can stream Gamepass games there via xCloud. But clarity will come soon 😂

I kinda see where you‘re coming from, but still, you are more than stretching. It‘s likely that traditional consoles will be gone at some point, but saying that „Xbox is not important to Microsoft anymore“ is just not true.

Shocked Uh Oh GIF

Mortisfacio

I'm mostly curious how this pans out long term. Starfield wasn't great, but it wasn't as terrible as the user reviews were. It was mid, which was a letdown based on hype. Will user reviews trend back towards normality now that the Sony fans can play it? I expect so.

Nydius

Gold Member
They had everything going during the 360 era and just squandered it all away
They certainly were in a much better position for the first half of the generation, that’s for sure.

I’m not sure I’d say they had “everything going”. They lost a lot of money (and good will) with the RROD issue. The only reason that didn’t hurt them more was because Sony dropped the PS3 with a level of arrogance that’s been unmatched since.

And yet Microsoft managed the back half of the X360 generation (the Kinect years) so poorly that Sony still ended up beating them in total unit sales.

Last edited:
Top Bottom