• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Explosion on London tube

Audioboxer

This seems like responsible reporting. (/s)

EbUtqfK.png

Symphonia

Banned
If we're going with sarcasm...

"Thank God I have Theresa May and Sadiq Khan here to tell me that terrorists won't have me turn against my neighbor."

It's the fact they think we need to be told. Though, really, I don't think they do think that, they just have nothing else to say.
Would you rather them go with doom and gloom, telling the people that the nation is fucked, that they probably will die so it’s best to turn on each other anyway? The point they’re trying to make, as with every other attack, is that not everyone is a terrorist. Don’t attack your Muslim neighbours because a terrorise just so happened to be Muslim, too. The terrorists want to divide us. The government is trying to keep us together.

Torquill

In the aftermath of a terror attack, I invariably hear British Muslim (radio) callers phoning in to defend Islam. They usually start by saying "it has nothing do with Islam" followed by "the Quran says 'if you kill an innocent person then it is as if you have killed all of mankind". The thing that troubles me about these callers is that they never say I think killing innocent people is wrong. They always say the Quran says. It's as if their entire world view is shaped by the book and they are incapable of deciding what is right and wrong with their own minds.

If the point of their call is to defend Islam then the Quran has far more to do with making that point than their personal thoughts.

Would you rather them go with doom and gloom, telling the people that the nation is fucked, that they probably will die so it’s best to turn on each other anyway? The point they’re trying to make, as with every other attack, is that not everyone is a terrorist. Don’t attack your Muslim neighbours because a terrorise just so happened to be Muslim, too. The terrorists want to divide us. The government is trying to keep us together.

I know what they're trying to do, I'm saying it's patronising and nauseating that they think without their invaluable pearls of wisdom - which could basically be a tape recording from whenever the last time a nutter blew something up was - we'd be at a loss for what to do. I don't need them dusting off the "what to say after a terrorist attack" file - not that it ever gathers that much dust - and reading off the autocue to know how to feel.

Symphonia

Banned
I know what they're trying to do, I'm saying it's patronising and nauseating that they think without their invaluable pearls of wisdom - which could basically be a tape recording from whenever the last time a nutter blew something up was - we'd be at a loss for what to do. I don't need them dusting off the "what to say after a terrorist attack" file - not that it ever gathers that much dust - and reading off the autocue to know how to feel.
You could’ve just said you’d prefer the doom and gloom.

Cool.

What would you prefer them to say?

I literally don't think it matters, so they might as well just leave it to the police (if it's a bomb), the fire brigade (if it's a tower full of dead people) etc. I just don't understand who gets anything out of it. I've had this discussion IRL a few times, it seems most people agree that they don't get anything out of it but think it's important it's said because other people do. Or might. I dunno who these people are though. Nor do they.

I literally don't think it matters, so they might as well just leave it to the police (if it's a bomb), the fire brigade (if it's a tower full of dead people) etc. I just don't understand who gets anything out of it. I've had this discussion IRL a few times, it seems most people agree that they don't get anything out of it but think it's important it's said because other people do. Or might. I dunno who these people are though. Nor do they.

I think it's important that the Mayor of London or the Prime Minister, makes statements in the wake of events like this.

You can't deny that if they didn't, then everyone would be asking "why the silence???!!!!?!?! 3?!"

I think it's important that the Mayor of London or the Prime Minister, makes statements in the wake of events like this.

You can't deny that if they didn't, then everyone would be asking "why the silence???!!!!?!?! 3?!"

Politically they may well be stuck between a rock and a hard place - this doesn't make the contents of their messages any less patronising to me.

Why do you think it's important, beyond the real politik of not being accused of silence?

Symphonia

Banned
Cool.

What would you prefer them to say?
“Britain, today we stand defeated. In the past, we have shown solidarity and strength in numbers. No more. We must admit the unadmittable - our enemies have won and fear has truly devoured us. No more must we see each other - our family, our friends, our neighbours - as allies. Britain, from this day forward, we are but enemies to each other. See a friend? Kill them. See a doctor? Kill them. See a person with a bomb attached to them? Well, shake their bloody hand!”

Audioboxer

Second young man arrested

Un4j3gS.png

Terror threat will probably remain at critical until they confirm if it is or isn't a cell.

Police and intelligence services working quickly.

Cronen

A slight update:

Man charged over Parsons Green attack
An 18-year-old man has been charged with attempted murder in connection with the Parsons Green attack.

Ahmed Hassan, of Sunbury, Surrey, will appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court this afternoon, when he will also face a second charge under the Explosive Substances Act.
Three other men, aged 25, 30 and 17, remain in custody.

Thirty people were injured last Friday when a bomb partially exploded on a rush-hour District line train.

Two other men who had been arrested in connection with the explosion have been released without charge.

Top Bottom