• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman2050

I just don't get how someone goes from writing Toradora, which borders on the absurdity of jdrama but remains grounded, to the ghost Banri stuff we've gotten in Golden Time. :(

Hey man, Ghost Banri is a great antagonist. I enjoy rooting for his continued failure and suffering in limbo.

survivor

Banned
You've never heard of the Genie and the Gemini awards? lol
Canada really sucks!

We also have the Junos, which are the Canadian music awards.

I remember hearing about it before, but I thought they were just awards for awesome Canadian people in the media and not our own Emmys.

Gintama of THE END

Anime of forever.

That reminds me of something I noticed upon a rewatch:

7bvrAou.jpg

The poster on the pillar. Who's ready for Die Hard OF THE DEAD? "This time he dies for real!"

Quasar

I have any emphatic dishonarable mentions because I don't watch bad shows as they air. Even KnK was mostly just bleh with flashes of something good rather than a complete disaster.

Yeah. I try most things but bail on anything thats not working after and episode or two. So its hard to really judge whats really bad.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The one thing I like about the GOTY format is it forces people to read the OP and follow the directions.
All ballots must include at least one vote for Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku to be eligible.

Just make it like the NBA draft. The number of points a show gets is the number of balls the show gets in the lottery. Then you just start picking out balls to determine the order of the list!
I'll make a dartboard and fill it with the names of shows. Easy.

Midonin

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kaku ~Outbreak~

For a franchise profitable enough to have two live action movies, a TMA parody, and enough ancillary material to fill a large bookshelf, this, made to promote a pachinko machine game, feels most like what an anime movie would be like, just without the theatrical release part. It has to do with the way the story's told. A good amount of screentime is spent on the world outside, and the end keeps the stakes personal while also showing that things were ratcheted up to include the whole world, and not just Hinamizawa.

And that's the thing about shows with infinite timelines. The story can go in whatever direction it wants, because as long as that loop keeps going, the world can rewrite itself countless times. Not a single "nipa~" to be found, and Hanyuu wasn't in her adorable mode like she was back in the Daydreaming Chapter, so I'd wager this likely took place early on in the loops.

Plenty of blood, no penalty games... in some ways, a different experience from the main series, but in many ways, the same. In retrospect, maybe I should've started with this first and then watched Kira. But the extra length used to tell its story was used well, fitting a lot into a small amount of space, relatively, and the pacing was carried out well. The Satoko rescue mission kept the stakes high, and also easy to sympathize with for K1 and Rena.

I got to listening to some music from this series, and I realized that it does feel like a full world. I can see why it was hugely talked about back in its day. The journey through the backlog continues.

wonzo

Banned
1. aku no hana
2. lwa
3. benten unfunf
4. fursoda
5. yamato (only seen 6 eps)
6. ?????

10. gargantia

I saw in the GOTY thread that firehawk likes Beyond Two Souls, an opinion which so thoroughly discredits him as to retroactively make Sword Art Online a good show.
sniffing too many ghost farts

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The GOTY format is terrible.

Seconded. The difference between 4th and 6th, 7th and 10th place matters, and I think we're all capable of discerning the shades of our own enjoyment and correctly ordering ten shows accordingly. The format nerfs what's at the top slightly but kills any sort of meaningful differentiation between shows on the lower half of the ballot. I want the vote not just to reflect how many people but also how strongly people felt that a show deserved to be somewhere on the list.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I saw in the GOTY thread that firehawk likes Beyond Two Souls, an opinion which so thoroughly discredits him as to retroactively make Sword Art Online a good show.
I think games are (f)art.

In all seriousness, the game does things that most western games are afraid to do. First, it has a female protagonist who is more than just a man who wears a dress. And it has many interactive quiet moments that go beyond walking and talking or auto platforming.

I'm sure there's some shoujo visual novel that came out in 2013 that does all of that better, but David Cage managed to put a little girl playing with dolls into a big budget game funded by Sony.

I would be happy if Cage didn't write his own games, but that's never going to happen and he seems to be the only one making big budget games that has a mandate to not make a first or third person shooter, so what can you do?

Oh I dunno. The Awesome Tea Club girls are more force of nature than antagonist.

I had hoped the ghost had basically just merged back into Banri and so will never be seen again.
I'm sure the Ghost will be back. They're only at episode 12 and we have more misunderstandings to go through. :p

My AOTY list is made of J-dramas
GTO was this year, sort of. That's almost anime!

Actually, where there any other anime/manga adaptations this year? I remember Limit... but that's about it.

CorvoSol

Well at least he gave his intents on leaving to rule a forest.

Kid doesn't even say goodbye. Gets one little taste of danger after half drowning in the water and goes from being a lovable tyke to feral asshole supreme who'd rather spend his time savaging anybody who disagrees with him and leaving his mother alone with wild bears than caring for his family. How his father isn't severely ashamed of him I don't know. Ame behaves less like a noble wolf and more like a rabid cur. Princess Mononoke was a much better wolf than his mangy ass.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kid doesn't even say goodbye. Gets one little taste of danger after half drowning in the water and goes from being a lovable tyke to feral asshole supreme who'd rather spend his time savaging anybody who disagrees with him and leaving his mother alone with wild bears than caring for his family. How his father isn't severely ashamed of him I don't know.
Did you miss that entire montage where they show him getting more and more disaffected with society?

At least he didn't steal some girl's gym uniform and then wear it under his clothes. lol

Think of KKK as the YuruYuri of 2013.
I can't tell if you like KKK or not. :(

jman2050

I see the word "divisive" thrown around a lot when it comes to characters when in a lot of those cases it's more a silly slap-fight of personal taste. Ame is what I would call a true "divisive" character and I'm still really not sure which perspective is the most correct regarding him.

CorvoSol

Did you miss that entire montage where they show him getting more and more disaffected with society?

At least he didn't steal some girl's gym uniform and then wear it under his clothes. lol

I can't tell if you like KKK or not. :(

Disaffected? He's TEN. He's a bratty ten year old. The hell does he know about society? He's too busy trying to rip his sister's throat out for having a differing opinion.

I do. His father is dead. Too bad they never found out who killed him.

Probably Ame. He probably went back in time and did it.

Quasar

I think games are (f)art.

In all seriousness, the game does things that most western games are afraid to do. First, it has a female protagonist who is more than just a man who wears a dress. And it has many interactive quiet moments that go beyond walking and talking or auto platforming.

I'm sure there's some shoujo visual novel that came out in 2013 that does all of that better, but David Cage managed to put a little girl playing with dolls into a big budget game funded by Sony.

I would be happy if Cage didn't write his own games, but that's never going to happen and he seems to be the only one making big budget games that has a mandate to not make a first or third person shooter, so what can you do?

I'm sure the Ghost will be back. They're only at episode 12 and we have more misunderstandings to go through. :p

Yeah. I liked it for the most part. I liked Heavy Rain much more though (hell it was my goty that year). As for Cage I like what he's trying to do. I do wish he had co-writers (or stronger ones) and editors, but overall I'm really happy that he continues to do large budget adventure games and isnt pushed into sequels. That especially makes me happy given thats pretty much all we get above a certain budget.

Theonik

Space Buttleship Yamato 2199 14
This was a pretty good episode. Some fantastic visuals and a good eerie atmosphere that I will leave unspoiled.
I did like the way the end a lot too. It looked pretty cartoony(spoiler) and the contrast felt very good.
What's wrong with twitails. Things are getting curiouser and curiouser.

You can't bribe me!
He can edit posts though.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
His character is rather consistent throughout the film. Although he seems more domesticated at first, Ame was always more sensitive to society's perception of wolves, as noted in his complaint over children's stories where wolves are always the bad guy. Eventually this led to him not engaging in it at all.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
david cage and the tale of female protags in creepy rape scenes
I will say, there is a way to avoid the
rape-revenge scene in the game. And even then, at least it has consequences in a scene later on!

Besides, Tomb Raider was designed to be rapey and no one cared after the game came out!

Ame was always more sensitive to societies perception of wolves, as noted in his complaint over children's stories where wolves are always the bad guy. HIs character is rather consistent throughout the film, although he only seems more domesticated at first.
Well, the one thing I liked is that he goes from being quiet and reserved to wanting to be free of the shackles of society when he grows up. Yuki, of course, has the opposite arc.

Shergal

Ame is what I would call a true "divisive" character and I'm still really not sure which perspective is the most correct regarding him.
Agreed, and I honestly think this makes Wolf Children better. It's not like the film is betraying itself with Ame's character arc or anything. Having characters that generate dissonance among viewers and who can be legitimately interpreted in contradicting ways is one of the most interesting things in storytelling, when done right. So even if Ame was indeed an asshole, I don't see how that would detract from the movie itself, as it is.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Well, the one thing I liked is that he goes from being quiet and reserved to wanting to be free of the shackles of society when he grows up. Yuki, of course, has the opposite arc.
I would argue that Yuki's devil-may-care personality is what gives her the motivation to socialize herself even though many would deny her a place in society. As a natural outcast, Yuki is taking the more daring path.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Space Buttleship Yamato 2199 14
I feel like GAF-OT would make a comment about thigh-gap here.

I do. I'll be voting for it in the AotY thread.
Ah, okay then!

Tokyo Toy Box
That sounds like a deep cut.

Tsukiyama Hoshino was being harassed by her boss at the big consulting firm she worked at, and thus she decided to quit her job and join "Studio G3", a gaming company in Akihabara led by Tenkawa Taiyo. For Taiyo, there is nothing on his mind other than creating the perfect game. Although Hoshino is a bit put off by Taiyo's attitude in the beginning, she is soon influenced by his passion for game creation.

I really don't know what to think...

Agreed, and I honestly think this makes Wolf Children better. It's not like the film is betraying itself with Ame's character arc or anything. Having characters that generate dissonance among viewers and who can be legitimately interpreted in contradicting ways is one of the most interesting things in storytelling, when done right. So even if Ame was indeed an asshole, I don't see how that would detract from the movie itself, as it is.

WOLF CHILDREN IS ENDORSING ABANDONING YOUR PARENTS TO DIE - Kotaku, 2014

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Monogatari Series Second Season - 26

Wow... they went
Requiem for the Phantom
on me and I totally didn't see it coming.

I have so many questions now like "Is Ougi really related to Oshino?" or "Is the same white snake wrapped around the kid that that possessed Sengoku even though Sengoku probably still has that apparition in her?" or even "Why did Sengoku mention Mayoi in the list of people to kill even though she no longer existed as an human or an apparition?"

firehawk12

Subete no aware
He could just take it out of the laundry at home, after all.
Incest creeper. :(

I would argue that Yuki's devil-may-care personality is what gives her the motivation to socialize herself even though many would deny her a place in society. As a natural outcast, Yuki is taking the more daring path.
She becomes a conformist, and whether or not that is tragic in and of itself is up for interpretation I suppose. The comparable trope is when the tomboy learns that putting on a dress makes her life so much easier, so she decides to do that rather than fight social pressures.

Kurita

GTO was this year, sort of. That's almost anime!

Actually, where there any other anime/manga adaptations this year? I remember Limit... but that's about it.

Limit
Tokyo Toy Box
Kurokochi
Yamada and the Seven Witches
SAITOU san
Kamen Teacher
Nobunaga no Chef
Minna! ESPer Dayo! (which is amazing)

I'm sure I forgot some.
Next season we're getting adaptations of Dr DMAT, Shitsuren Chocolatier and S -Saigo no keikan-.

Kid doesn't even say goodbye. Gets one little taste of danger after half drowning in the water and goes from being a lovable tyke to feral asshole supreme who'd rather spend his time savaging anybody who disagrees with him and leaving his mother alone with wild bears than caring for his family. How his father isn't severely ashamed of him I don't know. Ame behaves less like a noble wolf and more like a rabid cur. Princess Mononoke was a much better wolf than his mangy ass.

Disaffected? He's TEN. He's a bratty ten year old. The hell does he know about society? He's too busy trying to rip his sister's throat out for having a differing opinion.

Probably Ame. He probably went back in time and did it.

Yuki pretty much gave him shit for not being a wolf, and then she gave him shit for not wanting to be a human, despite the fact that they were given the choice to live their lives as they see fit. Yuki pretty much didn't want him to do what he wanted to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom