• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
what possible reason can there be for messing with the damn voting rules again
As a way to stop people just voting for one show. The old rules already had the system that the top show got 10 points while the tenth show only got one but the new suggestion was that the maximum number of points ones top show got was equal to the number of shows one voted for. But it was criticised for penalising those who may not want to vote for 10 shows even if they have seen that many because some of the shows they've seen they do not see as worthy to vote for.

I mean if one wanted to be really mean a new rule could be made that if you make a [post=45987043]reserved post[/post] and then post your votes in [post=46871760]another post[/post] then your votes should be null and void because you were just being tots silly.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
As a way to stop people just voting for one show. The old rules already had the system that the top show got 10 points while the tenth show only got one but the new suggestion was that the maximum number of points ones top show got was equal to the number of shows one voted for. But it was criticised for penalising those who may not want to vote for 10 shows even if they have seen that many because some of the shows they've seen they do not see as worthy to vote for.

I mean if one wanted to be really mean a new rule could be made that if you make a [post=45987043]reserved post[/post] and then post your votes in [post=46871760]another post[/post] then your votes should be null and void because you were just being tots silly.

Why should an effort be made to try to stop people for just voting for one show?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So what are the new rules anyway? Each show is randomly ranked and its point value is determined by a d20?
Doesn't really matter, I've made all the graphics for the results thread already. The voting thread is like the VGX votes, a illusion of inclusion.

Why should an effort be made to try to stop people for just voting for one show?
To encourage one to put some thought into their votes but also to make it fairer for those who have had to rank their shows. So a person who votes for one show give it 10 points but someone else ends up only given 8 points to a show they really liked because they've put it in third. I mean this could be avoided if one vote = one point.

This is why it was a discussion rather than a decision made solely by the thread maker.

The new rules are to vote for your choice while somehow also forcing KirbYayoi/Kirbyguy/KG into its name somehow. Not doing so will kill the vote.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
We could make this really easy by just forcing people to pick one show and only one show. lol

AOTY voting would be way more interesting if you could only vote for one show. I think that is how it should work. One vote for the one show or movie you love the most. Everything else is just a HM.

Also I don't think I've ever said I was representative of the community. God help us all if I was the Representative of AnimeGAF.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Doesn't really matter, I've made all the graphics for the results thread already. The voting thread is like the VGX votes, a illusion of inclusion.
As long as I get to be Joel McHale to your Geoff Keighley.

If anything time has been kinder to its reception than anything else. darkside isn't representative of the community!

3d20
How does that count against my THAC0?

Jarmel

Banned

Probably to stop people who have only seen AoT or Kill La Kill from 'screwing' up the rankings. Especially as those are possibly the only two anime that they've seen all year.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Probably to stop people who have only seen AoT or Kill La Kill from 'screwing' up the rankings. Especially as those are possibly the only two anime that they've seen all year.

AOTY is a popularity contest, if the most people have seen and enjoyed those shows then they should win

firehawk12

Subete no aware
AOTY voting would be way more interesting if you could only vote for one show. I think that is how it should work. One vote for the one show or movie you love the most. Everything else is just a HM.
If nothing else, it'd force people to pick their unconditional favourite. Although I'm sure vote rigging would happen anyway! Here's what you can do. Everyone gets one vote and only the winner is announced!
THAC0 is 2nd edition rules, breh! Get with the times!
You kids and your 4th gen rules. Get off my playfield!

kiryogi

Banned
Top 10:

1. Monogatari Series Second Season
2. Monogatari Series Second Season
3. Monogatari Series Second Season
4. Monogatari Series Second Season
5. Monogatari Series Second Season
6. Monogatari Series Second Season
7. Monogatari Series Second Season
8. Monogatari Series Second Season
9. Monogatari Series Second Season
10. Monogatari Series Second Season

Yup this will be me in the AOTY

Non Non Biyori 03

3E5b7d3.jpg

Hah. Worst class outing ever.

Tohsaka

Since people seem to be counting it even though it started last year. Shinsekai Yori is easily my favorite. I don't really have an order for the rest of my top ten.

Jarmel

Banned
AOTY is a popularity contest, if the most people have seen and enjoyed those shows then they should win

Honestly it depends on what you want to make out of the poll/voting. Like if a car forum had a gaming vote with no restrictions, I would probably disregard the winner. All it tells me is what game was most popular that year. If they had restrictions then it would have more weight as I know they're better versed. If all you want it to be is a popularity contest then okay.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Since people seem to be counting it even though it started last year. Shinsekai Yori is easily my favorite. I don't really have an order for the rest of my top ten.
If new episodes were broadcast this year it counts. The agreed movie rule seems to be that the home release in Japan was this year.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Honestly it depends on what you want to make out of the poll/voting. Like if a car forum had a gaming vote with no restrictions, I would probably disregard the winner. All it tells me is what game was most popular that year. If they had restrictions then it would have more weight as I know they're better versed. If all you want it to be is a popularity contest then okay.
But it's essentially a poll with a preferential ranked ballot... of course it's a popularity contest.

Quasar

Is Golden Time in your list??

Its on mine. But now with the White Album 2 end and how well they ended it I'm thinking my top 10 might change.

As for the vote...if another one I'm in is anything to go by It wont be AoT dominating. It'll be much more split with things like Psycho Pass getting lots of votes.

Tohsaka

If new episodes were broadcast this year it counts. The agreed movie rule seems to be that the home release in Japan was this year.

Fair enough, I really don't consider anything last year or this year as better than it anyway. I hope the BDs come out here soon, I've been wanting to rewatch it.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
We were going to have a separate category for movies. There was never a consensus on OVAs though.

Should just roll OVAs and movies into the same category; there are not enough of either in a given year to really justify being separated by themselves anyway.

If movies/OVAs being a separate category is already a done deal, I would at least suggest that votes be limited to three, or five at the most if enough people argue that three is too few.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Madoka wasn't home released yet.
Well I guess you'll instead have to vote for the Mystical Laws then.

Should just roll OVAs and movies into the same category; there are not enough of either in a given yet to really justify being separated by themselves anyway.

If movies/OVAs being a separate category is already a done deal, I would at least suggest that votes be limited to three, or five at the most if enough people argue that three is too few.
Since movies and OVA are watched by fewer people I think about five maximum should be the limit with a simple one vote = one point.

Thinking of doing the same with OPs and EDs. Five each for one point.

Jarmel

Banned
But it's essentially a poll with a preferential ranked ballot... of course it's a popularity contest.

You could simplify all voting to it being a popularity contest. The point is, how reflective do you want it to be of a community? How much weight do you want it to have in general?

jman2050

Is Golden Time in your list??

LWA is still number one for me, it's easily the best thing I've seen all year.

Wolf Children is definitely in my top 5. Madoka Rebellion owns a whole bunch and should be watched by everyone and would've easily secured number 2 after LWA but its ineligible so we'll see what happens next year.

Other than that its going to be some combination of Love Lab, Watamote, Monogatari, GJ-Bu, and Kill La Kill, along with other stuff I may not remember off the top of my head. Golden Time I can't in good conscious include because it's not finished and, moreso than KLK, how I feel about it is going to greatly hinge on how the second half of the series goes.

If you put a gun to my head right this second regarding my favorite non-movie/non-OVA of 2013, I'd probably pick Love Lab over GJ-Bu by a hair. Love Lab blew me away on how well it did just about everything.

Dresden

Well, with people like me and theonik watching it and giving favorable responses, sure.

Uh, keep up the good fight then, ignoring all the glowing commentary from those who watched it before you two. If winning a site-wide popularity contest isn't indicative of a shared opinion, I'm not sure what is. God forbid someone said bad things about it on IRC.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Strategic voting!

Use the assured popularity of Wolf Children to vote for Mystical Laws instead!

Even I couldn't do that. Wolf Children is like top ten all time for me.

Although I am probably going to include a few wonk votes even if it means excluding some shows that I know are inarguably better-crafted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom