• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Officially Revealed for PC, Xbox One, PS4 [Reddit Rumor = Ban]

Klart

Cross posting from another thead.

If it's the mechanics you don't like, you won't like it. Skyrim/Oblivion pretty much "works" like Fallout 3/NV. You can clearly see they're based on the same mechanics. Fallout 4 is quite likely not be that much different in base mechanics.

xkramz

found on reddit, quite possibly my fav E3 2015 gif so far.

GentleFoolhardyKob.gif

they are likely going to take the lessons they learned from skyrim, such as UI and dungeons where at the end of it there is a shortcut to the beginning. I personally hope that they don't include those since I feel it makes it the world seem more gamey, but I can definitely see the appeal and expect them to include it.

Derp

I just noticed that the dweller's ugly ass, tight pajamas make sense if they are really intended for someone in cryosleep.
I think that's more Bethesda trying to make the vault suit look more like the traditional vault suit this time rather than what reminds me of a plumber's overalls. They're supposed to be tight. I think they've done a great job with them tbh.

Zushin

If it's the mechanics you don't like, you won't like it. Skyrim/Oblivion pretty much "works" like Fallout 3/NV. You can clearly see they're based on the same mechanics. Fallout 4 is quite likely not be that much different in base mechanics.

Ah k. Thats a shame. Thanks.

Just watched an interesting take on the new graphic look for Fallout 4 by you-tuber YongYea.

He speaks about the colour palette and how it relates to the potential time frame of this new game.

I enjoyed it and makes sense to me. Also, I expect this new world to not be the same throughout...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRKTg3zWl74

ps. some spoilers if not played FO3.

Killzig

Bethesda buying the franchise was really unwelcomed at one point but I would argue that was the best thing that could possibly have happened to it.

Someone like me (and the vast majority of gamers) would never have touched it otherwise and it would have suffered a similar fate to something like Wasteland 2.

You mean it may have been revived via Kickstarter by the remnants of Troika/BlackIsle? The horror. /s

Meanwhile NV was perfect for 95% of the game, you were literally a nobody with no background of any kind beyond a very vague occupation. You were out for revenge/retribution. But then they had to pepper in Ulysses's BS and the eventual turd that was Lonesome Road where they saddle you with the responsibility and guilt for this huge devastating event that no one cared about and was a total waste.

Ulysses blames you, no one else. Your Courier doesn't even know that he destroyed the Divide because he was just doing his courier thing. It's less BS and more Crazed Mad man blaming you over something you had no control over.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Ulysses blames you, no one else. Your Courier doesn't even know that he destroyed the Divide because he was just doing his courier thing. It's less BS and more Crazed Mad man blaming you over something you had no control over.

The actual circumstances and who's right or wrong and who is responsible doesn't matter. It's the fact they placed us the player in a situation where our previously perfect clean slate character is all of the sudden blamed, even if by one mad man, for the destruction and death of hundreds, if not thousands, in an event neither of us have any knowledge of.

It's all the more of a problem because it was boring and uninteresting even when you "get" what it's about. You can't take our character and out of nowhere add in some major backstory, even if part of the point is that we don't remember it at all, and make us care about it. Lonesome Road was the last DLC, by that point most player would have spent dozens, if not over 100, hours in the game crafting their character through choices and in their own head. It was a turd.

Tigress

The actual circumstances and who's right or wrong and who is responsible doesn't matter. It's the fact they placed us the player in a situation where our previously perfect clean slate character is all of the sudden blamed, even if by one mad man, for the destruction and death of hundreds, if not thousands, in an event neither of us have any knowledge of.

It's all the more of a problem because it was boring and uninteresting even when you "get" what it's about. You can't take our character and out of nowhere add in some major backstory, even if part of the point is that we don't remember it at all, and make us care about it. Lonesome Road was the last DLC, by that point most player would have spent dozens, if not over 100, hours in the game crafting their character through choices and in their own head. It was a turd.

I never managed to get to Lonesome Road (I was doing the DLC's in the order recommended and while I love Old World Blues, it finally made New Vegas run so bad I just couldn't get myself to finish the game :( ).

But I did get the impression that it wrote some backstory for the courier and after having a strong idea in my head of who my character was, I was kinda curious how I was going to mix that backstory with who I made my character be (I have a good imagination though so I'm sure I could find something to justify it).

But yeah, just because of this, without even playing it but knowing it had some huge backstory to what happened before you start the game, I can easily see your point here.

SoCoRoBo

Meanwhile NV was perfect for 95% of the game, you were literally a nobody with no background of any kind beyond a very vague occupation. You were out for revenge/retribution. But then they had to pepper in Ulysses's BS and the eventual turd that was Lonesome Road where they saddle you with the responsibility and guilt for this huge devastating event that no one cared about and was a total waste

Lonesome Road was really weird for me because of this; I felt no guilt for being responsible for what happened at the Divide. I wasn't responsible for the nukes being activated and couldn't have known what carrying the package would actually mean.

The whole DLC was frustratingly vague. Ulysses talks about the Divide as a utopia full of flinty, honest settlers but this is never fleshed out or depicted in any way so you're left with a message of: "Everything was great, trust me". (It's sort of like the problem of depicting Cthulhu, it's never quite satisfying to be told that he's an unknowable horror) It's quite threadbare for a game that was so focussed on convincing world-building and the compromises that societies make in order to grow.

Avellone seemed to have been going for a meta-commentary on RPG protagonists as these zephyr-like individuals who wander from place to place being the catalyst that ruins or saves lives and then just blows out of town without a second thought as to the consequences of their actions. It's a great idea but the execution left a lot to be desired.

they are likely going to take the lessons they learned from skyrim, such as UI and dungeons where at the end of it there is a shortcut to the beginning. I personally hope that they don't include those since I feel it makes it the world seem more gamey, but I can definitely see the appeal and expect them to include it.

I hope they keep that feature in regards to dungeons. Or step up the dungeon design all together. They were too copy paste and a shortcut to not have to backtrack thought them was a godsend.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I hope they keep that feature in regards to dungeons. Or step up the dungeon design all together. They were too copy paste and a shortcut to not have to backtrack thought them was a godsend.

They need to beef up the size of Vaults big time. They felt way too small in FO3 and NV. They're supposed to support 1000 people but barely looked like they could house 50.

Caves also were very samey. Though that was also the case in Skyrim. So here's hoping they add in something new for them as well, but I doubt it.

They need to beef up the size of Vaults big time. They felt way too small in FO3 and NV. They're supposed to support 1000 people but barely looked like they could house 50.

Caves also were very samey. Though that was also the case in Skyrim. So here's hoping they add in something new for them as well, but I doubt it.

Thought I was alone on the non spacious vaults... I think New Vegas tired to make it a bit more believable by adding inaccessible doors though.

Fallout/ES games always seemed to have trouble making caverns stand out compared to vaults. Maybe one cave could be more like an abandoned mine, or a snow ridden cavern (since the game is more northish, snow should be more common. Or a cave that's partially submerged so the walls have that colorful tinge with corals and giant mutant clams scattered about.

Drazgul

The scale of things has always been a problem with Bethesda's games, ever since Morrowind. Fallout 3 especially had embarrassing settlements, with just a handful of people in most of them.

I've been playing some Fallout 3 for the first time in a long while, since when I usually feel like playing it I just go to New Vegas instead. If Fallout 4 has the same repair system as 3 and NV, it better have some form of the Jury Rigging perk. Repairing armor in this game is obnoxious.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I've been playing some Fallout 3 for the first time in a long while, since when I usually feel like playing it I just go to New Vegas instead. If Fallout 4 has the same repair system as 3 and NV, it better have some form of the Jury Rigging perk. Repairing armor in this game is obnoxious.

I hope they took a really really really exhaustive look at the modding community and what things they added and changed. One of the best mods for FO3/NV was the ability to use random items to repair your equipment, along with using different, but somewhat similar, weapons and armor types together and not just the exact armor to armor or weapon to weapon as the vanilla game is.

There are dozen of simple mods that add in little features that add in a great deal of depth and ease of use to the games.

Yeah, we're chilling in that particular quagmire together I'm afraid. They don't even have the generic repair kits, either.

I hope they took a really really really exhaustive look at the modding community and what things they added and changed. One of the best mods for FO3/NV was the ability to use random items to repair your equipment, along with using different, but somewhat similar, weapons and armor types together and not just the exact armor to armor or weapon to weapon as the vanilla game is.

There are dozen of simple mods that add in little features that add in a great deal of depth and ease of use to the games.

That's really how it should be, and hopefully they do make some improvements.

Yeah, we're chilling in that particular quagmire together I'm afraid. They don't even have the generic repair kits, either.

Nope, all you can do is go to a store and have your equipment repaired. And no one out there seems to have a high repair skill so it won't be too long before you're back there again. I'd forgotten how annoying it was.

The scale of things has always been a problem with Bethesda's games, ever since Morrowind. Fallout 3 especially had embarrassing settlements, with just a handful of people in most of them.

It reminds me of old JRPGs... "welcome to our village", where there's three houses and about 4 people and a dog.

Wasn't there a perk in New Vegas for rearing with like materials?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Wasn't there a perk in New Vegas for rearing with like materials?

I think there was only Jury Rigging which let you repair somewhat like weapons with one another. Like all Bolt/Lever Action Rifles with one another or all one handed guns with one another. Which was useful, but nothing like being able to use all the random misc items you found around the world to repair guns which a mod let you do. Stuff like duct tape, scrap, crutches, hides and so on and not just for weapons but also armors. There was also Junk Rounds which let you use tin cans and scrap to make ammo, but that was kind of pointless.

It would be nice if they could set it up so if you have say Leather Armor with a DT of 6, if it's at like 50% of its durability and you repair it with crappy items the DT will go down to say 4 cause Duct Tape and random scraps aren't exactly high quality and it also reduces the items value by 1/4 or something. But if you get a perk later like Jury Rigging that was something like "You are a master junk repairer, you no longer get penalties for repairing items with random scraps." That would be a decent balance so people would still have the incentive to repair with actual like materials of good quality and to go to merchants who have a decent repairs skill level, but in a pinch you can fix your stuff yourself with whatever is on hand.

Personally, I hope they double down on New Vegas' hardcore mode; hunger, thirst, radiation, durability, weight management - the works. Preferably with the additions added by the Jsawyer mod (making it more intense).

...I like to dream.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Morrowind was fun but the writing wasn't anything special. Plus that was like over a decade ago, Oblivion, FO3 and Skyrim were pretty men when it came to the main plots and writing overall. That said they are pretty competent at what they do, but what they do are rather simple, straightforward plots that are there for the player to follow if they feel like and add context/purpose to the setting but not get in the way of exploring and doing whatever they like in the big game world. They normally barely last 8-10 hours in otherwise 100 hour games. And it's not like much of that is actual dialogue or anything just the same old go here kill this, find this, etc. Not exactly deep stuff.

That's a far cry from writing a well paced, well thought out and emotional plot about finding your lost family or the even more complex story of discovering that you are not a real human being but an artificial construct meant to think you are and all the issues and existential questions that raises. I mean I think they're capable of using that within the world in other quest lines dealing with android NPCs but as a central plot device and secret core aspect of our player character, not so much.

If they pull it off I'll be more than happy, but right now their history and style of writing doesn't allow for any high hopes.

I disagree that Morrwind's writing wasn't anything special but I agree with the rest of yuor post. I think the personal, "emotional" family plot is kind of stupid for a game such as Fallout. So when I find my family and I'm wearing the armor of an innocent waste-lander I murdered while carrying a bludgeoned cudgel still dripping with the blood of the last raider I beat to death I think it's going to be a little hard to connect to the intended emotions of that moment.

Also, a lot of games try to do the whole "family" angle and fail poorly because they think by giving the character a family we the player are suddenly supposed to care. Movies are much more able to easily achieve the connection between the main character and the family he's usually seeking revenge for than video games.

Denzel

If S.P.E.C.I.A.L is in Fallout 4 again (which it probably will be) I hope they find out how to balance out all the stats so there aren't any useless ones. In fallout NV you could put 1 in perception since having ED-E gave you 10 (unless you wanted the better critical perk) and 1 in charisma since that's useless, and put your points in everything else.

JoeNut

So am i the only one who thought that this trailer looks like a trailer for fallout 3?

Like..there aren't a whole lot of differences really, maybe the trailer just didnt show what changes they have made, if any

Top Bottom