• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Officially Revealed for PC, Xbox One, PS4 [Reddit Rumor = Ban]

JeBQ1wU.jpg

ENHANCE.

draetenth

I have to admit I hated using the mods Wanderer's Edition and Project Nevada that everyone seemed to love (because it made the game more challenging and whatnot) mainly because it felt like the two mods were really trying to turn the games into fps (at least that was my impression).

I don't want the games to be FPS. I want them to be RPGs with a great story, lore, world, writing, and dialogue choices.

rjinaz

I'm thinking maybe those circles are tags you hang once you've picked the perk?

il_570xN.646446029_j0s1.jpg

But the circles seem to be behind Vault Boy in some of the pics...

Yeah I noticed that too. Those circles are all over on the poster but sometimes behind things indicating they are drawn into the background which means at least those can't be tags or poster damage. It's going to be interesting to see what that's all about.

No kidding huh? We need a CSI super computer up in here.

DOWN

Banned
Yeah I noticed that too. Those circles are all over on the poster but sometimes behind things indicating they are drawn into the background which means at least those can't be tags or poster damage. It's going to be interesting to see what that's all about.

No kidding huh? We need a CSI super computer up in here.
Are we sure it's a 2D poster and not a wild bobble head or official promotional figure display?

It does look like a poster to me so hmm

Drazgul

I know that, but Bethesda better give them a better contract not tied to Scores. Maybe "Make a game which ain't full of game-breaking bugs and you'll get your bonus".

That'd be a bum deal, considering Bethesda was responsible for New Vegas QA. It's them you have to blame for all the bugs, not Obsidian (who did a fantastic job overall given the strict time limit - a year more and we would've had a more fleshed out Legion, for instance).

Removing player skill is a bad idea. Players like to think they have control over each moment of their character - not just the inventory screen.

If I'm a crack shot that can expertly adapt to scope sway and recoil, then that should translate into gameplay.

So just remove the weapon skills altogether then, eh? It's an RPG, not an FPS - you can look for your pure shooter elsewhere.

I'm currently playing Fallout 3 for the first time. In this game, power armour is as effective as taping aluminum sheets around your body. I can't believe how useless Power Armour is in this game. I just don't feel as powerful as I should be wearing it.

I hope Bethesda integrates something like the Damage Threshold system that all the Fallout games but 3 had to Fallout 4.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'm currently playing Fallout 3 for the first time. In this game, power armour is as effective as taping aluminum sheets around your body. I can't believe how useless Power Armour is in this game. I just don't feel as powerful as I should be wearing it.

I hope Bethesda integrates something like the Damage Threshold system that all the Fallout games but 3 had to Fallout 4.

Do you use VATS?

Do you use VATS?

Yes but I don't want to use it as a crutch. It's also really badly implemented in this game. Accuracy completely drops off at long-range. Even with all the best accuracy modifying perks, you can't consistently get your targets with a sniper rifle at a decent distance like you should with a weapon like that.

I haven't played New Vegas in years but I don't remember VATs being as broken as it is in 3.

Jarate

Banned
Tale of Two Wastelands would fix so0me of those issue :p

Im replaying through 3 with it and it's awesome how much better the game itself functions.

Tale of Two Wastelands would fix so0me of those issue :p

Im replaying through 3 with it and it's awesome how much better the game itself functions.

I'm nearly done with Fallout 3 and would rather play New Vegas in a clean slate. Plus, my Fallout 3 character would be hilariously OP in NV. He has 10 points in all of his SPECIAL stats and has 100 points in nearly all of his skills.

Yes but I don't want to use it as a crutch. It's also really badly implemented in this game. Accuracy completely drops off at long-range. Even with all the best accuracy modifying perks, you can't consistently get your targets with a sniper rifle at a decent distance like you should with a weapon like that.

I haven't played New Vegas in years but I don't remember VATs being as broken as it is in 3.

I remember VATs in FO3 being insanely OP once you're high level.

Fracas

#fuckonami
After spending the last couple days modding New Vegas, I'm really hoping Bethesda plays a larger role in the Fallout 4 modding scene. It was a huge pain to get all my mods going - I wonder if the whole process could be simplified with more official tools.

Nessus

Deus Ex HR was made in Montreal and included the city in its story, but only not as a main location.

Montreal was intended to be another hub, but got cut due to time constraints.

Wouldn't be surprised if it returns in Mankind Divided (Picus TV still seems to be around at least).

True but aimed shots were equally overpowered in Fallout 1 and 2 at high levels. Give me a plasma or gauss rifle in those games when I'm near the end and I'm blowing heads off from the other side of the combat zone.

Yeah but... aimed shots in the originals took up extra AP and you couldn't shoot but a few shots at most. In fallout 3, I remember being near the end and a squad of armored suits coming at me and them dropping like flies. Quite literally like flies with goopy green mush leftover.

Welfare

Yeah but... aimed shots in the originals took up extra AP and you couldn't shoot but a few shots at most. In fallout 3, I remember being near the end and a squad of armored suits coming at me and them dropping like flies. Quite literally like flies with goopy green mush leftover.

Energy weapons are amazing and Fallout 3 was easy all the way through.

Fallout 4 should be tough near the end game.

I don't want the games to be FPS. I want them to be RPGs with a great story, lore, world, writing, and dialogue choices.
None of those things have anything to do with combat, so why do you care if the combat is actually good instead of just shit. Is there some kind of rule that an RPG can't have good realtime combat?

None of those things have anything to do with combat, so why do you care if the combat is actually good instead of just shit. Is there some kind of rule that an RPG can't have good realtime combat?

The combat in Bethesda's Fallout makes it unique and ties with the older games. If the combat was more like a modern day FPS, there will be no need for VATS and the series will lose one of its most iconic features. If I want to play a FPS, I will play one of the thousands available.

Arkain

I loved shooting real time and having my character's skill affect my shooting didn't bother me. Maybe they should do what borderlands does, if your shooting skill is low your hand shakes more and it's harder to get a steady shot.

This is how I'd like them to handle real time shooting in Fallout. If your gun skill is very low (<20-25), the gun sways hard and you suffer more from recoil (depending on the weapon of course). As long as you can line up your reticle with an enemy, you still get a hit. Also, the durability of weapons would lower faster as you mistreat the guns, and guns would start jamming at higher durability. Above 20, these negative effects quickly decline, and at above 60 you no longer have any swaying and your damage simply increases.

There should be some downside to having low stats imo. If you try going for a character that's extremely bad at the gun skill, it doesn't make sense that you can still snipe like a pro in real time.

Plasma

Banned
The combat in Bethesda's Fallout makes it unique and ties with the older games. If the combat was more like a modern day FPS, there will be no need for VATS and the series will lose one of its most iconic features. If I want to play a FPS, I will play one of the thousands available.

I don't see how having good shooting mechanics would negate the need for VATS, look at the mark and execute in Splinter Cell it could be used like that so you run into a room tag enemies in VATS and quickly take them down.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I don't see how having good shooting mechanics would negate the need for VATS, look at the mark and execute in Splinter Cell it could be used like that so you run into a room tag enemies in VATS and quickly take them down.

If real time action is too enjoyable/gamer friendly, people may skip it and drop VATS altogether. I believe this is one of the reasons why the actual shooting was so terrible in Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

I think Tigress and Arkain have it right. Shooting should be more challenging for the newbies but become more approachable as your character gets better at it, not unlike Stalker as you start progressing and more precise weapons become available.

VATS could still be used either as an option for more tactical combat or as a way to engage with multiple enemies at the same time in a more calm manner.

BouncyFrag

I'm looking forward to seeing the perks list as the Fallout 3/NV leveling system is one of my favorites. I love getting unique, unexpected dialogue options thanks to a perk as well.

Removing player skill is a bad idea. Players like to think they have control over each moment of their character - not just the inventory screen.

If I'm a crack shot that can expertly adapt to scope sway and recoil, then that should translate into gameplay.

Player skill has no place in RPG combat. That is other genre mechanics ruining the RPG.

You want a good character, you build one. You don't just skip past the entire point of the game design.

Lanrutcon

There's no reason they can't marry player skill and character statistics. VATs was a really, really cheap way to avoid having to do that.

If push comes to shove, I'd prefer a system where stats -> skill any day of the week. When I'm packing 120 <Firearm Skill> I should be clearing rooms of goons with a few mouse clicks, John Wick style. And on the other end: when I've only got 5 then I should shoot like a blind moose regardless of crosshairs or crouching.

Otherwise what's the point of those numbers.

wowlace

Player skill has no place in RPG combat. That is other genre mechanics ruining the RPG.

You want a good character, you build one. You don't just skip past the entire point of the game design.

Yep. The fun of Fallout 3 and NV was when I spent all my AP and HAD TO shoot manually. Shit was hectic and hilarious. Often switched to h2h to make it easier.

MouldyK

So...F3's on Sale on the Steam Store for another 7 hours.

I already have NV...

...should I cave and get F3 in case F4 is 2016?

BloodR0se

So...F3's on Sale on the Steam Store for another 7 hours.

I already have NV...

...should I cave and get F3 in case F4 is 2016?

FO3 is undoubtedly worth a purchase but it is almost certainly likely to show up in the summer sale and with a bigger discount.

Unless you are in the extremely unique position of having no Steam backlog (and I've never met anybody who is) then I would just wait and see what the summer sale has to offer. Incidentally, you really want to go for the goty edition as well. Don't get the basic one because you'll probably just regret it later.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I can't wait to see what kind of wacky shit the MIT was working on when Doomsday came. I hope it's Mariposa levels of crazy, although I expect more emphasis on robotics instead of biohorror.

DOWN

Banned
I guess Diamond City will be similar to Megaton/New Vegas. So nothing huge, but I assume there are some other notable outposts like it as NV did a really good job making its underwhelming New Vegas presentation feel less disappointing in the context of the other outposts worth your time.

I think it looks great, visually. The presentation and atmosphere is going to be god-like, its a Bethesda game, it's amazing in those areas by default. My biggest worry is of course the actual narrative, the writing and of course the animations!

Male only protagonist doesn't bother me if for the reasons speculated... as long as what they're trying to go for [deeper story, more connected character] is actually done well.

The graphics look pretty good environment wise to me, the bigger issue for me are bethesda's animations, I really wish bethesda would clean those up along with the character models. It makes all their games look and play janky. I will be there day 1 regardless.

The last time i played new vegas was on 360 on launch so i just decided to buy it on steam right now.

i have been enjoying re playing fallout 3 the past couple of days as well .

I really hope FO4 is this year

Tigress

Male only protagonist doesn't bother me if for the reasons speculated... as long as what they're trying to go for [deeper story, more connected character] is actually done well.

Hahahaha. You said deeper story about a Bethesda game.

1. Bethesda is not going to make a good enough story even with just one character to worry about to justify it.

2. They don't need to rely on one character to have a deeper story than what Bethesda usually has. Look at New Vegas. Or fallout 1 and 2.

3. Freedom to play who I want is a big reason I enjoy Bethesda games. It's one of the things they are good at. A stronger story won't make up for that.

4. It's also an essential feeling of Fallout games. See 3.

Also, that rumor has been debunked.

Hahahaha. You said deeper story about a Bethesda game.

1. Bethesda is not going to make a good enough story even with just one character to worry about to justify it.

2. They don't need to rely on one character to have a deeper story than what Bethesda usually has. Look at New Vegas. Or fallout 1 and 2.

3. Freedom to play who I want is a big reason I enjoy Bethesda games. It's one of the things they are good at. A stronger story won't make up for that.

4. It's also an essential feeling of Fallout games. See 3.

Also, that rumor has been debunked.

With all respect to NV and fallout 1 + 2... I don't think they have really deep stories at all. They are more breadth than depth for sure.

I love those 3 games, much more than FO3 without a doubt. But not for the depth of their stories. Specifically for NV, since it is freshest in mind (I plan on starting FO1 + 2 again soon anyway), the grand part about their story is the amount of choice and the impact of those choices. But each individual story branch is rather shallow - although there are in fact many of these shallow and yet delightful story branches.

This tends to work with this type of open world game where it can afford a lot of choice and customization. But that certainly isn't the way it has to be. They could have a deeper more connected central plot, where the character is less of a shell or participant and actually connected to the world and it's people in a very personal and familiar way.

Who knows what we'll get here, just it could be different. There are hints that you have history with the region.

I don't want the player character to be any more defined than it has in the past. I don't want to be stuck with a wife/husband and child. Blank slates are what Bethesda does best. I will be disappointed if they give us some big backstory and our character has a spouse and child.

Top Bottom