• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 - PS4 screenshots (now feat. PNGs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dex3108

How the fuck CD Prjkt with a fraction of the budget and staff made one of the best looking games to date is beyond me, shame on bethesda.

dImyJ.gif

Fitts

Looks fine to me. I'll be playing on PC anyway, but even if this is what I got on that platform I wouldn't be upset.

GHG

Yeah it's pretty gross. I'm sure the team does their best but whoever calls the shots and makes the budget decisions sucks for not authorizing a new engine or at least a total overhaul. They need to ditch this gamebryo.

The reason for not ditching the engine for something new is also linked to mods.

The modding community will instantly be familiar with the engine so we will see high quality mods being pumped out very soon after release.

I'm 100% convinced that they will reintroduce the concept paid mods via steam (and on XBL for the xbox one) for this game.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I already said it looks better than that on PC, sorry to hit you with reality.
Why do you post a pre-release bullshot that isn't using the released game's lighting engine when it looks better on your PC?

Deliberately deceiving media used to make the comparison more fair in some weird twist of logic?

Yeah this is truly the shocking part. Fallout 4 is said to have PBR authored assets, that just does not right at all.

Here, the game looks really good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNfqQ7iJDg0

Yeah what the hell happened to that. The footage during Microsoft's show looked fine too. Todd Howard then showed the part with the river where he explained PBR and volumetric lighting. Those inside the vault pics look really bad too.... :(

Timeaisis

Looks OK to me. I mean, it's certainly not beautiful, but I wouldn't describe it as ugly.

It's about what I expected from this series.

kvn

Looks good, witcher 3 was a buggy mess at launch yet people seem to ignore that. Also witcher 3 reuses so many character models and assets. people saying this looks last gen are blind.

Will certainly not apply to Fallout - a Bethesda game - at launch.

gai_shain

Just typical graphic whoring. Comparing two totally different games on totally different scales with totally different engines.

We are looking at the GOTY right here and people need to accept that.

nobody is saying it wont be a good game or that they wont play it. They are just stating that the graphics look shitty in those screens.
Not sure why people think its some personal attack on them

JoseLopez

Another thing I bet some of the people complaining would be the first to say AAA devs need to lower cost yet complain about Bethesda doing the economically smart thing and not spend a fuck ton on a new engine.

Zader

Banned
Looks good, witcher 3 was a buggy mess at launch yet people seem to ignore that. Also witcher 3 reuses so many character models and assets. people saying this looks last gen are blind.

It wasn't that bad lol. I can 100% guarantee Fallout 4 will be 10 times buggier than the witcher 3

Kezen

Banned
Yeah what the hell happened to that. The footage during Microsoft's show looked fine too. Todd Howard then showed the part with the river where he explained PBR and volumetric lighting. Those inside the vault pics look really bad too.... :(

The most likely explanation is that this is leaked old build awaiting final patches.

It looks like the LOD scaling on the console versions is absolutely killing it. To be fair, F3/NV were similar, even on PC.

I'm still in the camp of F4 being Bethesda's least buggy game yet. Skyrim was substantially better than F3 and Oblivion in that regard, and they don't have to worry about the PS3's split memory/clutter issues anymore. I think there will be some crow eating come launch.

Are these...promo shots? They're kinda weirdly framed. It reminds me of when I'd mash the f12 button on steam and get shots of characters in the middle of animations

Nzyme32

You think, the filtering on some of these shots looks worse than others to me.....Maybe it is we need more shots, but generally IQ in this game leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm aware, whatever is not reserved is still much more than what is reserved, and that is more than enough to net us quality textures in open world games, especially one which has poor looking char models and many other cutbacks and missing effects apparent to everyone.

You missed my point. Even ignoring the reserved portion for the system, the game needs memory available for other functions of the game than just vram, ie not all of that available memory will be available as vram either

Gaz_RB

I like the style they're going for. It looks way better than previous games--I just hope they've put some serious work into animations, but I'm sure they're still trash.

DOWN

Banned
How the fuck CD Prjkt with a fraction of the budget and staff made one of the best looking games to date is beyond me, shame on bethesda.
Their game did not end up looking like this and looks far worse than this on consoles. The game has a famously long dedicated downgrade thread.
It does look better than that on my PC.
Not without help it doesn't. The vanilla game does not have the quality of that old pre-downgrade bullshot

MegaMelon

Another thing I bet some of the people complaining would be the first to say AAA devs need to lower cost yet complain about Bethesda doing the economically smart thing and not spend a fuck ton on a new engine.

Nice strawman there, but no-one is saying anything about lowering AAA development costs. When you look at the profit that Bethesda make, it's not unreasonable to ask them to put more of that into the graphics side of things.

Man i hate that SOME developer's have this free pass badge if this were anybody else they'd be getting hammered with no protection. Nobody is even saying the gameplay,story will be bad jus that the graphics aren't up to par(which they aren't). Still going to be a fabulous game,probably one of the bedt this gen but at least call it like u see it

Agreed. I don't like to use the term but I almost feel we've got a Bethesda Defence Force trolling this thread right now. Which may I remind anyone reading this, is a SCREENSHOT thread, so discussion on the graphics is the whole purpose of the thread.

Man i hate that SOME developer's have this free pass badge if this were anybody else they'd be getting hammered with no protection. Nobody is even saying the gameplay,story will be bad jus that the graphics aren't up to par(which they aren't). Still going to be a fabulous game,probably one of the bedt this gen but at least call it like u see it

Denton

Just typical graphic whoring. Comparing two totally different games on totally different scales with totally different engines.

We are looking at the GOTY right here and people need to accept that.

the fanboy is strong in this one

GHG

Why would anyone say that?

That should be the least of the end-users concerns. All I care about is the quality of the final product, I really don't care how we end up arriving at that point.

They could have used UE4 if cost was an issue. But that isn't the issue, I'm pretty sure it's more to do with what I posted above. Either that or the game was cross-gen once upon a time but they ditched the last gen versions due to witnessing sales for last gen games drop off so drastically recently.

Jobbs

Banned

iKcRG61XdJQQy.jpg

What game is this? Witcher 4?

Seriously, though, you can say one has better graphics than the other, and maybe it does -- But fact is every Bethesda game engages me like no other, FO4 is almost assuredly going to absolutely enthrall me, and Witcher 3 was so boring i couldn't hack it. I literally fell asleep while trying to play it. No variety, no meaningful customization, just zzzz... So.. Shame on, them, I guess, because I didn't like their game.

sappyday

Who are you speaking about? Cause judging from this thread and countless of other threads on Gaf (and other forums), all people can talk about is how shitty the game looks.

JoseLopez

Will certainly not apply to Fallout - a Bethesda game - at launch.
Doesn't matter people seem to ignore the witcher 3 was a buggy mess. Fallout 3 and skyrim both had bugs where character models would flip out but nothing too bad. In witcher 3 I had multiple quest lines just not work and a this still happens constantly but button prompts not appearing. I also have to say witcher 3 has a pretty broken hit detection system.

Tripolygon

Banned
Eh, I'd still wait til the game is out and we have uncompressed footage of the game running, some games just don't translate well to screenshots, especially when captured using the PS4 screenshot tool. Regardless, The Order sucked and you can see the effort went into the graphics over any other aspect of the game, while clearly Bethesda must have put effort in elsewhere seeing as the graphics aren't mind blowing.

Also the hyperbole is real, the game doesn't look terrible, it might be disappointing, ugly or not up to your standards, but to label it as terrible looking is just ridiculous.
There are millions of JPG screenshots of other games captured on PS4 and yes they are compressed but you can still tell when a game looks good from those compressed pics.
This is factually false. RAD created the exact game they wanted to create, it just so happens that the game did not do well critically and commercially (i think). You don't make any sense at all when you say Bethesda put more effort in other aspects of the game (you have not played) that is why the graphics aren't mind blowing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Pretty much how this thread is shaping up.

People called "graphics whores" in here now as well. That is more toxic that calling it how one sees it, or expects in late 2015.

The PS4 version does not look like that, not even close.

It still looks like a generational leap over FO4, hell GTA5 I personally like better visually (more consistent) than W3.

This isn't the first console open world game like this! The Witcher 3 had a very aggressive lod system in place with shadows not being rendered too far off in the distance. I expect the PC version to look superior even with modest hardware. I don't see why people are surprised given the level of horsepower available in these systems.

thelastword

Banned
I was wondering how much KCD will get cutdown for consoles. I did not mean to imply FO4 looks terrible because of consoles, I think that's due to Bethesda's inability, not necessarily consoles.
You do not find Kingdom Come impressive ?
Check these screens I took:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=170901023&postcount=233
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=170904131&postcount=236
Personally I find it extremely impressive looking game.
Btw PS4 does not have 8GB VRAM, it has 5.5GB usable unified RAM that is used for both game data and graphics data.
Textures look wildly inconsistent, pop in is bad, there is just some fuzziness to the image that does not look good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-_l6zfUdlg. I hope they improve what they have here, but for now I won't say it looks amazing.

Nzyme32 said:
You missed my point. Even ignoring the reserved portion for the system, the game needs memory available for other functions of the game than just vram, ie not all of that available memory will be available as vram either
Which other open world game that looks massively better with much better textures did not need memory for other functions? I got your point, what ever memory is available to F4 (which you don't know exactly) is more than enough, hence why I used the base 8Gb, because that is known for a fact.

In one of the trailers they showed some interiors and exteriors and it had some pretty cool looking lighting and the water part where they spoke of PBR looked good too. Nothing out of this worldly amazing or anything but nice. If that wasn't going to be coming to the console versions, they should have said so. Let's wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom