• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famed chef, David Chang, pens his Burger Manifesto (Lucky Peach Magazine)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anyone who prefers no cheese on the hamburger? That's the one thing I don't get.

Excluding people who can't eat cheese, of course.

riotous

Banned
My favorite burger:

- Patty is 20% fat ground beef, coated with salt and pepper. No minced onions, just beef + salt and pepper.. leave a little divet in the center since it will expand there, grilled to about medium.

- Bun might vary, but I lean toward simple and classic, sometimes toasted, sometimes not.. just depends on mood.

- Cheese.. provolone.

- Condiment 1 - avocado.. preferably mashed with salt and pepper, but I don't mind sliced or chopped.

- Condiment 2 - a sauce I make by roasting jalapeno and Anaheim peppers on he grill, then I throw them in the blender with cilantro and a touch of vinegar. Ratio of jalapeno / anaheim depends on how spicy I am feeling or whether I have guests or not... throw a touch of sugar in there as well, and some salt.

Norml

Considering sheer deliciousness, White Castle1 might be the best burger out there. It’s a steamed burger, sopped up with juices and grease: a homogenized bite of amazingness. It’s as pure as can be. I love In-N-Out and Shake Shack, don’t get me wrong. But White Castle is just greater than the sum of its parts.

My ideal burger is bun, cheese, burger. Sometimes bacon. Ketchup on the side, so I can control it. Pickles—yes! Obviously. And the cheese thing has to be very clear: American cheese only. American cheese was invented for the hamburger. People talk about it being processed and artificial and not real cheese—you know what makes it real? When you put it on a hamburger.

What happened to the onions?

Patchy

Banned
I'm an Aussie and I can say comfortable this guy has no idea.

None at all.

Fried Egg and Beetroot hit the spot. I don't always get it though.

As long as the Cheese, Bun and Pattie are good quality it's hard to go wrong. Wagyu Pattie, Brioche Bun, Steaky Bacon.

Avacado as well, depending on my mood.

entremet

I'm an Aussie and I can say comfortable this guy has no idea.

None at all.

Fried Egg and Beetroot hit the spot. I don't always get it though.

As long as the Cheese, Bun and Pattie are good quality it's hard to go wrong. Wagyu Pattie, Brioche Bun, Steaky Bacon.

He was trolling you guys. He does that in his writing from time to time.

wildfire

Banned
I agree with his idea that simple burgers can be the best but he drops the ball pointing out White Castle as a sterling example of simplicity.

The best simple burgers are those done on your or my own BBQ grill.

bounchfx

wow you are living a sad life if you restrict yourself to american cheese only and no mustard... wat

:\

the most successful part of this article is that now I want to make myself burgers for dinner

White Castle is the best??!! Put ketchup on a burger??!!! Don't put mustard on a burger??!!! This guy has no idea the fuck he is talking about. His opinion is 100% wrong.

Even if you don't like mustard on your burger, a mustard-fried patty is awesome and is a staple of In-N-Out's Animal Style burgers aside from the extra pickles, grilled onions, extra cheese and spread.

Even if you don't like mustard on your burger, a mustard-fried patty is awesome and is a staple of In-N-Out's Animal Style burgers aside from the extra pickles, grilled onions, extra cheese and spread.

I don't eat bread usually so my go-to burger is in-n-out protein style (lettuce wrap). And man. what the hell is that sauce. It's so good. I taste pickle juice mayo and mustard but IDK. Man it's good

McBryBry

My mom makes some mean ones. I like your typical burger, sure, but one thing I haven't seen mentioned that she does is BBQ sauce. While they're on the grill, she coats them in it. So good. Throw some american or cheddar on, let it melt, maybe add some bacon and you're golden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom