• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Successful NYC Chef, David Chang, opens Chick-fil-A inspired "Fuku".

Status
Not open for further replies.

t26

c8c87192e215100d6ca2b863cbf3912a.jpg

This is fries from Chick Fil A,

njean777

Was about to be shocked by the 8$ sandwhich price but if they are using free range chickens then I can understand. I would try one if I lived in NY. Alas chickfila will have to suffice for now.

idlewild_

Sandwich looks good, but what's up with all the different liquor at a fried chicken place. And only one beer? Come on man.

edit: also, $8 for a fast food chicken sandwich is kind of outrageous

otapnam

Sandwich looks good, but what's up with all the different liquor at a fried chicken place. And only one beer? Come on man.

edit: also, $8 for a fast food chicken sandwich is kind of outrageous

Yall dont even know what you're talking about. Gaf gonna gaf

andymcc

Banned
So it's just a bar with a singular signature sandwich? 6 months of R&D? Really?

does it need more if it does a signature item and sides well?

David Chang's very obvious restaurant influences are Japanese (Momofuku Ando, the inventor of instant ramen, is who his restaurant empire is named after) and most of those restaurants just focus on one single signature dish. Keeps overhead costs low because you're buying in less ingredients and you're refining one dish that is always going to sell.

Would work in sf.

it would most def. work in "hipster-y" areas of any big city in the USA imho.

plop that shit near a college, they'd pay $8 a sandwich.

does it need more if it does a signature item and sides well?

David Chang's very obvious restaurant influences are Japanese (Momofuku Ando, the inventor of instant ramen, is who his restaurant empire is named after) and most of those restaurants just focus on one single signature dish. Keeps overhead costs low because you're buying in less ingredients and you're refining one dish that is always going to sell.

I guess. I was picturing something more family friendly and accessible.

Cagey

Banned
This doesn't make any sense. But OK. He is serving a chicken on a bun with fries. Is a CFA sandwich nonfood? Same with their wraps and salads? Grilled or fried chicken?

What does this mean? I'm not sure how that justifies a $14 chicken sandwich, fries, and drink.

By comparison, yes, Chick-Fil-A is certainly not-food.

Comparing this to terrible quality found at fast food chains is missing the entire point.

nomster

This doesn't make any sense. But OK. He is serving a chicken on a bun with fries. Is a CFA sandwich nonfood? Same with their wraps and salads? Grilled or fried chicken?

What does this mean? I'm not sure how that justifies a $14 chicken sandwich, fries, and drink.
A chipotle burrito with chips and a soda in BFE USA will come out to around $12. I don't see how this is poorly priced for its market.

A chipotle burrito with chips and a soda in BFE USA will come out to around $12. I don't see how this is poorly priced for its market.
I don't know who could eat a Chipotle burrito with chips. Those things are massive.

I'd think the better comparison would be the restaurant he is inspired from, which is CFA. The equivalent meal would run about $7.50.

I mean yeah I've cooked with cage free and free range chicken, and I understand the increased cost there, but I wouldn't pay a $5-$7 premium for it.

Hoo-doo

Banned
People calling this 'real food' while shitting on other random fast food chains are the real jokes in this thread.

All of it is the simplest of deep fried garbage, except one of them is using a slightly higher grade chicken. Oh boy.
It's like a swimming contest between two people who can't fucking swim.

Also, wedges are king.

nomster

I don't know who could eat a Chipotle burrito with chips. Those things are massive.

I'd think the better comparison would be the restaurant he is inspired from, which is CFA. The equivalent meal would run about $7.50.

I mean yeah I've cooked with cage free and free range chicken, and I understand the increased cost there, but I wouldn't pay a $5-$7 premium for it.
The comparison to to class of restaurant not food. That's not an unusual "fast casual" cost.

MGrant

The fact that it's a Japanese guy has me intrigued. I'd fuck a burning lawnmower to get MOS Burger in the states. Their restaurants are so chill and quiet, and reasonably priced. Asia GAF knows what I'm talking about:

ef111cb0eb0dfb0cfd4affa4f3db04d2.jpg

The comparison to to class of restaurant not food. That's not an unusual "fast casual" cost.
I mean CFA basically blurs the line with fast and fast casual nowadays especially on the service front. In fact, CFA generally offers better service than fast casual places. And even ignoring that, this place is serving just a fried chicken breast. It's not like there are many options with different and fresh ingredients like you would find at a place like Chipotle or even CFA.

It's a fried chicken breast on a bun.

Cagey

Banned
The fact that it's a Japanese guy has me intrigued. I'd fuck a burning lawnmower to get MOS Burger in the states. Their restaurants are so chill and quiet, and reasonably priced. Asia GAF knows what I'm talking about:

Chang is Korean tho.

entremet

He's Asian American via Korea not Japanese. He did work in Japan as a young chef.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Fuk U!

I thought it was a play on that, didn't think momofuku.

By comparison, yes, Chick-Fil-A is certainly not-food.

It's a piece of chicken, some breading and spices, fried and put on a bun. So what sort of culinary magic do you think David Chang's employees are going to perform on a basic-ass chicken sandwich that is so transformative?

Because there's not much chance he's going to be able to blow away the quality of Chick-Fil-A's ingredients or preparation. CFA uses top-quality, antibiotic free (1st and only in the industry) chicken, hand-breaded, and has slashed artificial chemicals, colorings and preservatives across it's product line.

Comparing this to terrible quality found at fast food chains is missing the entire point.

He wasn't comparing it to "terrible quality found at fast food chains," he was comparing it to Chick-fil-a.

Wonder how this will turn out. I've heard good things about his fine dining offerings but I've been to the momofuku noodle bar and I think it's super mediocre. I get that maybe he's going for something different from traditional ramen but I would still rather have traditional ramen.

tarheel91

Half the serving size at the same price with "meat" that I swear tastes like it's half filler. Woo!

entremet

Guys, Chang loves CFA. It was his inspiration for the restaurant.

So far the differences is a bigger sandwich, free range birds, his own custom spice blend, booze, and a more chic locale.

He's not gonna expand to small towns most likely, but places like LA, SF and such that aren't as price sensitive. But these are fast casual prices.

Just like Chipotle could exist and survive with Taco Bell, same here. Although I don't think these would be as numerous. Probably a small expansion like Shake Shack.

Superchix nailed what is wrong with Chik fil a, this is worse than the original..

Considering Superchix is a Yum! brands chain, (Taco Bell, Pizza Hut,) I'm guessing that you mean they just added random amounts of sugar to stuff, like they did with their buns.

This is now a wedge/steak fries thread lol.

Which makes no sense, if we are talking about Chick-fil-a, since they have the waffle fries. (Which I'm not a big fan of either, although they do hold tons of ketchup.)

Oh, a joke post.

I'm not joking. You have no idea what you are talking about. In fact, Chick-fil-a's ingredients are so top-notch, they don't even exist yet in many markets, and are being created exclusively for them.

entremet

I wish David Chang lived in Portland.

I'll trade him straight up for Andy Ricker.

Kinda the nice thing about living in NYC since we got a Pok Pok location too. Most chef try to open a joint here when they expand.

At least I'm getting something for my ridiculous rent lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom