• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FANTASIAN Neo Dimension Announced | Nintendo Direct 6.18.2024

Draugoth

Gold Member

The father of FINAL FANTASY, Hironobu Sakaguchi, and renowned composer Nobuo Uematsu return to deliver an original RPG story! Experience an enhanced version of FANTASIAN Neo Dimension, with brand new features including English and Japanese voice overs and an additional difficulty option.Assume the role of Leo, as he journeys to recover his memories and solve the mystery of a strange mechanical infection destroying his world. Experience an original and modern take on the beloved turn-based battle system, with a wealth of unique mechanics and strategic combat that shake up the classic RPG formula, and explore a multi-dimensional universe come to life set against the backdrop of over 150 charming hand-crafted dioramas.FANTASIAN Neo Dimension will be launching on Nintendo Switch this Winter.

Last edited:
Iron Man Want GIF

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
tried googling, can someone just fucking tell me if this is the same game but enhanced or is it a sequel/prequel?

tried googling, can someone just fucking tell me if this is the same game but enhanced or is it a sequel/prequel?
Seems to be obvious imo, why would they make a sequel to a game nobody has played or heard of. I would be interested in playing the original even before this new version, but being exclusive to apple is bewildering

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Let me help you out.

"The father of FINAL FANTASY, Hironobu Sakaguchi, and renowned composer Nobuo Uematsu return to deliver an original RPG story! Experience an enhanced version of FANTASIAN Neo Dimension, with brand new features including English and Japanese voice overs and an additional difficulty option. Assume the role of Leo, as he journeys to recover his memories and solve the mystery of a strange mechanical infection destroying his world. Experience an original and modern take on the beloved turn-based battle system, with a wealth of unique mechanics and strategic combat that shake up the classic RPG formula, and explore a multi-dimensional universe come to life set against the backdrop of over 150 charming hand-crafted dioramas.FANTASIAN Neo Dimension will be launching on Nintendo Switch this Winter."

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Seems to be obvious imo, why would they make a sequel to a game nobody has played or heard of. I would be interested in playing the original even before this new version, but being exclusive to apple is bewildering
don't come here and say something is obvious in todays retardness that is the JRPG genre

if something was obvious, FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE would be a REMAKE, you know, since it has REMAKE in its fucking name.

always, ALWAYS assume that jrpgs are dumb as fuck and assume the worst. that's why i asked, nothing is ever obvious

Yoshichan

Let me help you out.

"The father of FINAL FANTASY, Hironobu Sakaguchi, and renowned composer Nobuo Uematsu return to deliver an original RPG story! Experience an enhanced version of FANTASIAN Neo Dimension, with brand new features including English and Japanese voice overs and an additional difficulty option. Assume the role of Leo, as he journeys to recover his memories and solve the mystery of a strange mechanical infection destroying his world. Experience an original and modern take on the beloved turn-based battle system, with a wealth of unique mechanics and strategic combat that shake up the classic RPG formula, and explore a multi-dimensional universe come to life set against the backdrop of over 150 charming hand-crafted dioramas.FANTASIAN Neo Dimension will be launching on Nintendo Switch this Winter."
yes but will gilgamesh be in this one

nial

Gold Member
don't come here and say something is obvious in todays retardness that is the JRPG genre

if something was obvious, FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE would be a REMAKE, you know, since it has REMAKE in its fucking name.

always, ALWAYS assume that jrpgs are dumb as fuck and assume the worst. that's why i asked, nothing is ever obvious
That's actually a very good point.

More info via the official Twitter account of Fantasian and Squeenix themselves:

📖 A story penned by Hironobu Sakaguchi
🎵 Score composed by Nobuo Uematsu
⚔️ Turn-based combat
🗣️ English and Japanese voiceovers
📺 4K visuals
✅ A new approachable difficulty mode

What is FANTASIAN Neo Dimension?​

The protagonist Leo wakes up from a massive explosion only to find himself lost in a strange land. That’s not the only thing lost - his memories have almost entirely vanished too!

With only a single memory to guide him, he sets out on a journey to reclaim his lost past and unravel the mysteries of a bizarre mechanical infection that’s slowly engulfing all known to man.

FANTASIAN_nd_mediakit_01-ibtxxnyxy.jpeg

This journey will take Leo and his growing party of allies through more than 150 hand-crafted dioramas, which combine physical environments with 3D characters. These were created by masters of the craft and include everything from dense forests and arid deserts to some… less conventional regions.

FANTASIAN_nd_mediakit_06-8szrtzlwj.jpeg

FANTASIAN New Dimension’s battle system​

Of course, you won’t explore unopposed - inevitably you’ll have to face off against hordes of monsters and worse in battle. FANTASIAN New Dimension’s turn-based battles will feel comfortable to fans of classic RPGs like the FINAL FANTASY and DRAGON QUEST series, but it has some unique mechanics that make it feel unique and modern.

FANTASIAN_nd_mediakit_04-rwoz47g5h.jpeg

One such mechanic the ability to aim attacks to hit enemies in straight or curved lines. The key to success lies in observing your foes’ turn order and position on the battlefield and using the right skills and trajectory of attacks to take multiple foes out efficiently.

FANTASIAN_nd_mediakit_05-mw1kysjci.jpeg

The game also introduces the Dimengeon System, which allows you to avoid the interruptions of random encounters by sending previously encountered enemies to a dimensional dungeon. You can open the ‘Dimengeon’ at any point to battle everything stored inside at a time that’s convenient for you - and with some handy enhancements that make these thrilling large-scale battles fly by.

Of course, the longer you wait to open the Dimengeon, the more enemies you’ll have to take on, so you’ll need to think carefully about when to take on the challenge. Once it reaches capacity, the battle will start automatically!

It all adds up to combat that is very easy to understand yet has enormous depth to master - a killer combo that makes the game hard to put down!

FANTASIAN_nd_mediakit_02-edoaxycvs.jpeg

What’s been added to FANTASIAN New Dimension?​

FANTASIAN originally released on iOS for Apple Arcade, but this new console and PC version has received some significant enhancements, which makes it the definitive way to play the game. These include:

• English and Japanese voiceovers - All cutscenes, and many optional scenes in the game are now voice acted. You’ll be able to play the game with either the English or Japanese voice actors.
  • 4K visuals - the PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S and Steam versions of the game will offer support for 4K displays, making this already beautiful game look even prettier.
  • Normal difficulty mode - FANTASIAN was a very difficult game upon release, with many bosses pounding players before they worked out the optimal strategies to defeat them. FANTASIAN Neo Dimension adds a new ‘Normal’ difficulty, to make the game a little more approachable. Of course, if you crave the challenge of the original game, that’s still there too!

FANTASIAN Neo Dimension launches this Winter for Nintendo Switch, PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S and PC via Steam.

Sorcerer

It probably would have never been made if it were not for Apple. And being on Arcade first does not seem to be a bad thing for this game as there was a bit of port begging for the game for a while.

Yoshichan

guys

it's not NEW Dimension

it's NEOOOOOOOO

It probably would have never been made if it were not for Apple. And being on Arcade first does not seem to be a bad thing for this game as there was a bit of port begging for the game for a while.
Yea right I guarantee apple dangled a fat wad in the publishers face for exclusivity.

Sorcerer

Yea right I guarantee apple dangled a fat wad in the publishers face for exclusivity.
I don't think its all bad. Apple eventually frees the game and lets them to go to Steam/other platforms. I think they pay for all development because many games exclusive on Apple Arcade have "Produced by Apple" first thing in the credits. That seems to get removed when the game is ported.

I don't think its all bad. Apple eventually frees the game and lets them to go to Steam/other platforms. I think they pay for all development because many games exclusive on Apple Arcade have "Produced by Apple" first thing in the credits. That seems to get removed when the game is ported.
Ok perhaps, but arent we talking about the creator of FF and also the legendary music composer.. and they needed funding for development? Surely another insular and proprietary entity would have some interest..

Sorcerer

Ok perhaps, but arent we talking about the creator of FF and also the legendary music composer.. and they needed funding for development? Surely another insular and proprietary entity would have some interest..
I think Apple Arcade has recently fallen apart and developers have talked about getting screwed by Apple recently. But apparently when this game was in development Apple was very generous and Arcade was an unknown. So the deal was probably too good to pass up at the time.

Perhaps if they went with Microsoft, Microsoft would have bought Mistwalker and shut them down. Because you know Xbox needs Japanese game studios. LOL!!!

Last edited:
I think Apple Arcade has recently fallen apart and developers have talked about getting screwed by Apple recently. But apparently when this game was in development Apple was very generous and an unknown. So the deal was probably too good to pass up at the time.
Perhaps if they went with Microsoft, Microsoft would have bought them and shut them down. Because you know they need Japanese developers. LOL!!!
To be fair, I know jackshit about apple except they manage to fleece their userbase with idealized products with yearly iterations. Also they ruined my favorite sci-fi IP, asimov's Foundation. So knowing they have not any relevancy since playing mathblaster in elementary school, I don't have much confidence in apple in terms of gaming. They recently opened their store for emulation or something right? Wow so revolutionary

Sorcerer

To be fair, I know jackshit about apple except they manage to fleece their userbase with idealized products with yearly iterations. Also they ruined my favorite sci-fi IP, asimov's Foundation. So knowing they have not any relevancy since playing mathblaster in elementary school, I don't have much confidence in apple in terms of gaming. They recently opened their store for emulation or something right? Wow so revolutionary
They have allowed Retroarch on the Iphone and Apple tv. Also, they seem to be working (possibly with Codeweavers) on getting Windows games to work on their hardware. Similar to Steam OS. Taking the fast track of converting existing Windows games instead of native development it seems. Gameporting Toolkit 2 is a part of the next OS.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
There's quite a few references to Final Fantasy in this game.
As well Tie-Fighter sounds in the battle system.
I have a reputation that says all FF games are bad if GILGAMESH isn't in them.

But real talk Fantasian is quite good but that's because it's Sakaguchi.

Loved Lost Odyssey and Last Story so it's a no brainer to get this when it releases and isn't locked to Apple Arcade.

Killer8

I will pick this up for Switch or Steam Deck. I don't think 4K benefits the visual style at all. It just makes it look like average videogame models pasted onto a photograph. A smaller screen helps to make it all look more cohesive and like looking into a tilt shifted world. Proof that you can indeed have too much graphics.

Fbh

Finally!
Will definitely pick it up

Wait, you guys are hyped for this?
I walked away from the trailer thinking that it looks really low budget and uninteresting.

It's definitely a game that would look and sound pretty generic if it wasn't for the people involved.
But what can I say? Sakaguchi has been such a big and influential figure in my history with games that I will probably always check out anything he releases. Specially if, as his message says, this might end up being his final game,

Also I still think the idea of levels basically being pictures of actual dioramas is sort of cool
fantasian-2206509.jpg

The only things about this that mildly made me feel anything where the names involved...

The plot seems like something you could find on any D Tier PS1 RPG.

The character designs look nice on the artwork, but painfully generic in-game.

Also, why is the Protagonist a discount Nier character? He just looks like if you took someone from Nier Replicant, and made them less interesting looking.

The two anime girls following the Protagonist just look like the same BORING anime girls you have seen on, again, any D Tier PS1 RPG.
Let me guess, one of them is his childhood best (between a billion quotations) "friend", that secretly wants to fuck him? Because RPGs are incapable of writing GENUINE friendships between guys and gals.

Like... It's aggressively derivative in every possible way. And maybe I'm being too cynical. I am, actually. But I don't think this showcase showed anything particularly interesting, besides the names involved, and the gameplay.

Last edited:
So this one finally escaped from the Apple Arcade Walled Prison

But is it actually unironically good, especially when it will have real JRPG competition on consoles?

Top Bottom