• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FANTASIAN Neo Dimension Announced | Nintendo Direct 6.18.2024

Lokaum D+

Its SE way to say " you fuckers didnt want a FF turn based RPG, there you go, now buy that shit"

And ppl ll not buy this just because its not a FF brand.

Hypereides

Gold Member
tenor.gif

Fuck yeah! Definitely getting this. Glad its coming to consoles. The real FFXV is here.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
This is when they ask him to come back and make Final Fantasy.

I tried it on iOS. I beat the first boss and dropped it. It’s charming, but its minimalistic traits didn’t pull me in like I would have wanted. I’d definitely try it again on console.

Reactions: Isa
Im glad it’s coming to console but disappointed that it’s not been updated to make it not seem like a mobile game. The text bubbles are awful. Get rid of the boxes entirely and just have the text over the screen. The UI also just generally looks like it’s a mobile game. So it’s got a bit of a taint, but hopefully it’s fun and the controls are good.

Im glad it’s coming to console but disappointed that it’s not been updated to make it not seem like a mobile game. The text bubbles are awful. Get rid of the boxes entirely and just have the text over the screen. The UI also just generally looks like it’s a mobile game. So it’s got a bit of a taint, but hopefully it’s fun and the controls are good.
It is not as mobile as you think. It controls like a ps1 or ps2 rpg. I played a good portion of the game on Apple TV w/ a Xbox controller. It is good. There was some rough spots on Apple TV that needed ironed out. “Technical slowdowns, frame clipping, etc.”. I don’t expect that to be a problem on PS5/Xbox/PC and hopefully not on the Switch version. The difficulty spike was unfair and ridiculous. It was like going from a Paper Mario RPG to SMT V in the second half the game, but that has allegedly been fixed.

This game is extremely charming, if you found Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey charming, I would think this would be similar. Fantasian is far more polished than Blue Dragon or Lost Odyssey.

Control wise, if you played FFVII or FFX on Switch, control wise, it feels like that. Hope this helps.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Never underestimate the mod community

It is not as mobile as you think. It controls like a ps1 or ps2 rpg. I played a good portion of the game on Apple TV w/ a Xbox controller. It is good. There was some rough spots on Apple TV that needed ironed out. “Technical slowdowns, frame clipping, etc.”. I don’t expect that to be a problem on PS5/Xbox/PC and hopefully not on the Switch version. The difficulty spike was unfair and ridiculous. It was like going from a Paper Mario RPG to SMT V in the second half the game, but that has allegedly been fixed.

This game is extremely charming, if you found Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey charming, I would think this would be similar. Fantasian is far more polished than Blue Dragon or Lost Odyssey.

Control wise, if you played FFVII or FFX on Switch, control wise, it feels like that. Hope this helps.
Nice! So speaking of Lost Odyssey, did you make it far enough in Fantasian to see if it has a bunch of post-game bosses and dungeons to take on like in LO? Or is it over after the story?

Nice! So speaking of Lost Odyssey, did you make it far enough in Fantasian to see if it has a bunch of post-game bosses and dungeons to take on like in LO? Or is it over after the story?
I didn’t make it that far. On Apple it was split into two games. Part 1 and part 2, imagine getting FFVII (PS1) and being giving disc 1 alone. Then 8 months later disc 2 and 3 were released. This is how Fantasian was.

This won’t be a problem on the console release. So, I have high hopes for this game. I can safely tell you, it will be most likely in the nominations for best RPG of the year at the Game Awards.

Sorcerer

Theres an entire sidequest that's insanely difficult. You would have to play the game twice to even have a chance of finishing it. Unless they really fixed the difficulty spike. Every time you beat the game it gets harder. I could not even get new game plus for a third time. So I got lucky on the sidequest.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

Sorcerer

It seems more notable titles are split into chapters on Apple Arcade by design to keep you subscribed. The 007 game on Apple Arcade currently is in its second chapter. Not sure if the games are complete and held back or if they are still being worked on in the interim.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

Icymanipulator

Gold Member
So this is an enhanced version of the iOS game?

Is this coming to any other platforms?
Edit never mind it’s coming to everything. Thank god. I thought it was going to leave 1 walled garden (apple) just to go to another walled garden (Nintendo)

Last edited:

Myths

Not much of a fan of the in-game graphics (execution) but the art style conceptually seems interesting otherwise. Battle system gimmick for multi-target trajectory ala Chrono Trigger is a convenient touch but I’m not sure it adds any additional benefits (e.g. experience, style points , or some other reward) for capitalizing on DIMENGEON. Perhaps its purpose is best served for increasing DPT, thereby reducing time spent battling I guess.

I’m down with the outlandish, weird concepts. More anachronistic, unusual plots seemingly on the path of what would be “just another story except or up until this happened.”

Sorcerer

So this is an enhanced version of the iOS game?

Is this coming to any other platforms?
Edit never mind it’s coming to everything. Thank god. I thought it was going to leave 1 walled garden (apple) just to go to another walled garden (Nintendo)
I believe Apple signs the games for 3 years. I think Castlevaina is going on 4. If it is produced by Apple, then the game never leaves as far as I know but it is free to go to other platforms regardless.

Kumomeme

Yoshi P you get away from the Gooch. You do NOT infect him with Anti-ATB disease.
hitting homer simpson GIF
here is Gooch with his own 'anti-ATB' game :

I have a formula from the 25 years experience I have in the industry – an RPG formula," he says. "Which is a turn-based, orthodox JRPG. But for The Last Story, I wanted to completely change that formula and come up with something new.

Because I wanted to create a completely new battle system for this game, we had a year-long experimental phase where we tried out perhaps twice as many systems that were, in the end, adopted. My ultimate goal was to create a game that will be hailed as a new style of RPG, and I hope people will feel the same way.

-Hironobu Sakaguchi

sakaguchi-mega64.gif

Kaim0

Neo Member

It is packed with optional content translated into optional dungeons (the two most complex dungeons in the game are optional), bosses, weapons, accessories, and side quests. Think of the World of Ruin in FF6 where half of the things are optional. Well, Fantasian has a second half like that but with much more "main" and "mandatory" content. In fact, one of its strongest optional bosses is a complete homage to Final Fantasy.

• Thoughtful

Exentryk

Completed it on Apple Arcade and it was pretty good fun. Glad more people get to play it now.

I'd be down for Fantasian 2 or something.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Its SE way to say " you fuckers didnt want a FF turn based RPG, there you go, now buy that shit"

And ppl ll not buy this just because it’s not a FF brand.
SE (and others) still put out a shitload of turn based JRPGs. Are you really that butthurt because the “one game per generation” mainline FF isn’t turn based?

Lokaum D+

SE (and others) still put out a shitload of turn based JRPGs. Are you really that butthurt because the “one game per generation” mainline FF isn’t turn based?
i liked FF16 a lot and i don't mind at all action RPG, put a lot of ppl here in this Forum was noisy about it, i just wanna see if ppl ll buy this shit out since is from the creator of FF and Uematsu.

Sorcerer

I didn’t make it that far. On Apple it was split into two games. Part 1 and part 2, imagine getting FFVII (PS1) and being giving disc 1 alone. Then 8 months later disc 2 and 3 were released. This is how Fantasian was.

This won’t be a problem on the console release. So, I have high hopes for this game. I can safely tell you, it will be most likely in the nominations for best RPG of the year at the Game Awards.
The game has been out for 3 years at this point, I don't see how it can qualify for any awards. It might be considered also ran at this point. Plus the stigma of being on Apple Arcade first/mobile game is going to work against it. People are already dismissing it for those reasons. Plus the hype created from most people not being able to play it will disappoint people when they get their hands on it.
I loved the game, I love rpg's. The game is great but not the second coming of Christ hype a From Software game would generate. I would say this is equivalent of a lost/late PS1 rpg with updated graphics. If one is down with that, you should really dig the game.

Last edited:
The game has been out for 3 years at this point, I don't see how it can qualify for any awards. It might be considered also ran at this point. Plus the stigma of being on Apple Arcade first/mobile game is going to work against it. People are already dismissing it for those reasons. Plus the hype created from most people not being able to play it will disappoint people when they get their hands on it.
I loved the game, I love rpg's. The game is great but not the second coming of Christ. I would say this is equivalent of a lost/late PS1 rpg with updated graphics. If one is down with that, you should really dig the game.
I would agree with what you said. Fantasian will speak to older games or gamers who yearn for more a ps1/ps2 style Jrpg.

The stigma about Apple Arcade is misfounded but true. Apple puts out some good quality on their Apple Arcade, it is just they are not usually console quality games.

But I don’t understand the hate for it. Apple Arcade is not a huge product, but Apple still makes money. I can’t imagine Apple Arcade adds ton of profit to apples bottom line. But…

Fun Fact: Apple makes more money from gaming than either Sony, MS, or Nintendo on a annual basis.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

I would agree with what you said. Fantasian will speak to older games or gamers who yearn for more a ps1/ps2 style Jrpg.

The stigma about Apple Arcade is misfounded but true. Apple puts out some good quality on their Apple Arcade, it is just they are not usually console quality games.

But I don’t understand the hate for it. Apple Arcade is not a huge product, but Apple still makes money. I can’t imagine Apple Arcade adds ton of profit to apples bottom line. But…

Fun Fact: Apple makes more money from gaming than either Sony, MS, or Nintendo on a annual basis.
Geoff is not going to stick his neck out for this game. LOL!!!
I love Arcade, for 50 bucks a year, its great to have in the background when something good pops up. If I added up all the games I played on the first year it would come out to about $300 dollars spent on those games on Steam. (Non sale prices of course). Of course if you can't stomach indie/mobile games then $300 dollars worth of games is not worth even 3 cents. LOL!!! I use the Apple Tv everyday anyway.
My understanding is many people with Apple One accounts have it and never use it. It's just there in addition to cloud storage. LOL!!!

Last edited:

Kaim0

Neo Member
I loved the game, I love rpg's. The game is great but not the second coming of Christ hype a From Software game would generate. I would say this is equivalent of a lost/late PS1 rpg with updated graphics. If one is down with that, you should really dig the game.
It has only 20 reviews on MC (And the vast majority only covered Part 1). It wasn't given much attention at the time, and it's possible that with the console release it might get more coverage. Personally, I don't think it's a game that will win over most journalists; it's a game meant to be enjoyed by dedicated JRPG lovers. For example, it's understandable that RPGSite gave it their GOTY in 2021 over SMTV or Neo TWEWY, because RPGSite is a site for people who enjoy more hardcore JRPGs, and Fantasian is a solid one. But that's not the case for most websites.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Tried it on Apple Arcade. The opening was fucking awesome and definitely felt like some long lost Squaresoft PS1 game. But after the beginning it felt pretty slow and boring to me so I dropped it.

Does it get better? Maybe I’ll give it another shot.

Kaim0

Neo Member
Tried it on Apple Arcade. The opening was fucking awesome and definitely felt like some long lost Squaresoft PS1 game. But after the beginning it felt pretty slow and boring to me so I dropped it.

Does it get better? Maybe I’ll give it another shot.
The first five hours are quite calm, yes. After that, it improves a lot; the plot advances faster, there are several interesting revelations, the group is split, you're given the ability to teleport to previously visited places, and there's more overall freedom. Additionally, you unlock the skill board. Some of these aspects start around 6-7 hours, while others unfold around 10-15 hours into the game.

squarealex

Still weird to see CB3 support this game but not CB1 / Kitase team.

I don't know what happen between Sakaguchi and other historical team, but you can feel a bad mood.
And ironically, it was the team that needed Sakaguchi production the most (FF12 suffering Sakaguchi departure) that welcomed him the best.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Top Bottom