• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fatal Frame: Nuregarasu no Miko trailer + screenshots (Sep 27 in Japan)

Peterthumpa

Nintendo only did xenoblade after ungodly amounts of begging for it.

Pandora's Tower and Last Story were not localized by Nintendo

Nintendo of Europe seems to have a bit more of a clue than NoA. But i stand by what I say. I will gladly eat crow if it is announced for Release outside of Japan to the US, but i have absolutely no faith in them to do it.

Sometimes I wonder why these executives can't do simple math.
Hell, someone could at least translate the whole game without new voice-overs and just subtitles, and charge what, 500 bucks?

I really, really don't understand why a complete, full fledged game with global appeal is somehow not localized.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Fuck that scene, that's probably the scene I remember the most from the second game. It also happens in a supposedly "safe" area at a time when you don't even have to be there.

It's the same for me, I just went there to save my game and suddenly... Chills.

That's one thing I think the series is very good at I should mention, optional scenes most players would miss but those who stumble on them... So creepy. There's a number of these scenes in all the games, completely off the beaten path or if you are unlucky to do something in a certain area. Those scares in the series I have not seen done in any other horror game, and they are the best/worst.

Nintendo of Europe seems to have a bit more of a clue than NoA. But i stand by what I say. I will gladly eat crow if it is announced for Release outside of Japan to the US, but i have absolutely no faith in them to do it.

Would you say you'd eat... a wet crow?

mrlion

How is Fatal Frame? I keep hearing about it but haven't had the time to get into it. Is it a real horror game not like the more recent RE games?

Dusk Golem

How is Fatal Frame? I keep hearing about it but haven't had the time to get into it. Is it a real horror game not like the more recent RE games?

Definitely a real horror game. You can get the first three games on US PS3 PSN and they had more copies of the first three games on PS2 made only a few years back, so not overly expensive to get a new copy of the older PS2 games either. Series is up there on terms of high-quality well-executed horror, along with the older RE and SH games. A big difference with this series and those two series though is that FF hasn't lost its horror way, yet at least.

Jucksalbe

Banned
There's a number of these scenes in all the games, completely off the beaten path or if you are unlucky to do something in a certain area. Those scares in the series I have not seen done in any other horror game, and they are the best/worst.

My girlfriend still tells me about that creepy puppet
in the coffin room
in FF4. Nothing happened for me, but for her
it just suddenly started to turn its head or something
. She turned the game off for a while after that. As if that room wasn't creepy enough anyway.

jimi_dini

Hell, someone could at least translate the whole game without new voice-overs and just subtitles, and charge what, 500 bucks?

ehhhh
There are much higher costs involved. The translation will cost way more than 500 bucks and this doesn't even include QA, etc. The executives can definitely do math. Sometimes they just underestimate the amount of people, that will buy the game.

I'm pretty sure that this will get a western release though.

Dusk Golem

My girlfriend still tells me about that creepy puppet
in the coffin room
in FF4. Nothing happened for me, but for her
it just suddenly started to turn its head or something
. She turned the game off for a while after that. As if that room wasn't creepy enough anyway.

Or the
closest
in Fatal Frame 2.
if you go into a certain closet in the doll house in Fatal Frame 2, there is usually nothing in it and it seems there isn't much of a point to it. You can't see inside it well though as the camera-angle doesn't change from the hallway the closet is in when you enter it, so you can't see inside without pulling out your camera. But if you pull out your camera to look about and take a look out of a window in the closet, the ghost of a child will suddenly really quickly bang itself against the window and look right at you.

Or that FUCKING
mirror
in Fatal Frame 3...

I have no idea why more horror games don't do this. It's very effective, and sure most players won't see it, but it adds a lot to the game, things to explore/find, and scares the player may really not see coming, even on multiple playthroughs.

Mr-Joker

Banned

I really, really don't understand why a complete, full fledged game with global appeal is somehow ont localized.

Yeah if you think that it cost $500 to localize a text heavy game plus hire voice actors then you are sorely mistaken, localization is expensive and lengthy process.

Not that it matters since Nintendo of Europe did all the work and Nintendo of America just piggy back on it.

mrlion

Definitely a real horror game. You can get the first three games on US PS3 PSN and they had more copies of the first three games on PS2 made only a few years back, so not overly expensive to get a new copy of the older PS2 games either. Series is up there on terms of high-quality well-executed horror, along with the older RE and SH games. A big difference with this series and those two series though is that FF hasn't lost its horror way, yet at least.

I think I'm going to do a marathon and play them during the night lol I'm ready to not sleep for months.

Peterthumpa

ehhhh
There are much higher costs involved. Even the translation will cost way more than 500 bucks and this doesn't even include QA, etc. The executives can definitely do math. Sometimes they just underestimate the amount of people, that will buy the game.

Ok, that was more or less a joke, but let's say that NOA decides to translate subtitles only. I believe that this is extremely easy to be done technically, just replacing the japanese text. The QA at this stage would probably be already done by Japan.

Now, suppose you sell 20.000 copies. Now suppose all of them are digital. And finally, suppose that this launches with a MSRP of $ 39.99. That's 800.000 US dollars.

For sure there are other types of costs involved, but I really believe that a simple localization job as described above plus other expenses would never reach that amount. And I'm supposing the worst possible case scenario.

Semajer

Or the
closest
in Fatal Frame 2.
if you go into a certain closet in the doll house in Fatal Frame 2, there is usually nothing in it and it seems there isn't much of a point to it. You can't see inside it well though as the camera-angle doesn't change from the hallway the closet is in when you enter it, so you can't see inside without pulling out your camera. But if you pull out your camera to look about and take a look out of a window in the closet, the ghost of a child will suddenly really quickly bang itself against the window and look right at you.

Or that FUCKING
mirror
in Fatal Frame 3...

I have no idea why more horror games don't do this. It's very effective, and sure most players won't see it, but it adds a lot to the game, things to explore/find, and scares the player may really not see coming, even on multiple playthroughs.

The best one I recall is in FF3 when you walk past a seemingly useless
closet
several times during the course of the game, and if you decide to check it again at a specific point
the door slams shut, doesn't open, and when you look into your camera the wall is covered in pale screaming faces and noises start blasting from the walls.
Shivered the fuck out of me the first time it happened to me.

Vlade

For the early ones, imagine the first RE, only you need printer ribbon to survive.

Also, very gradually paced, and one of the games best played at night with the sound up and with someone/yourself watching/advising/screaming.

I really love what I've played of the series.

Tizoc

I tried to break it down one page back. If you take out all the symbolism, it means "glossy black" or "jet black" and is used to describe a hair color of women.

heh how I interpreted it is thus:
'Wet Crow' I attributed to be being wet from blood or wet from rain. Rain could be seen as an ill omen in this case. Miko, being Shrine Maiden, can be intended to relate to a harbinger of death (death in this case regarding to horrifying or nightmarish/brutal) or horrible misfortune.
Yours is a good explanation though.

Dusk Golem

FF1 is downloading~

Be sure to play it at night and come back here with impressions.

As a heads-up on all Fatal Frame games, the game's beginnings are usually kind of slow but they get better as it goes on. It's not that the beginnings are bad, just the later sections are much better (in my opinion, at least).

Fatal Frame 1 isn't long though, you can easily beat it in 5-8 hours the first time through. Think it took me 6, almost 7 hours the first time I played, and that included me getting stuck in some places.

Jucksalbe

Banned
As a heads-up on all Fatal Frame games, the game's beginnings are usually kind of slow but they get better as it goes on. It's not that the beginnings are bad, just the later sections are much better (in my opinion, at least).

They usually slowly build the atmosphere in the beginning and go through the tutorials. And of course, they have to keep the scariest places for last to make it a gradual descent into hell. lol

A special heads-up for FF1: Don't waste your films.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Nintendo only did xenoblade after ungodly amounts of begging for it.

Pandora's Tower and Last Story were not localized by Nintendo

Nintendo localized their games, xseed and gamestop just distributed them.

Well shit I want to get into this series. But I'm too much of a pussy to even play them. The last "horror" game I played was Eternal Darkness on GC, even that was more of a mind fuck game than a scary game. Maybe I'll man up to play them. Will play the first 3 on psn or maybe they'll announce some hd remakes down the line.

For those who missed it, Famitsu has some pictures of the event.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201407/17057386.html

TUQ9CmD.jpg

pLtgrFX.jpg

PAw5jXR.jpg

JZx9SNk.jpg

Bnpz6H5.jpg

h5o5tXN.jpg

LgWvZLr.jpg

F2UkcMH.jpg

1U0dxmE.jpg

FnlB293.jpg

HNaHuoa.jpg

Bullza2o

I might get FF1 on Xbox if there are used copies somewhere. Is 3 the best? Because if it is I'm missing out because I don't have a PS2/3.

Dusk Golem

I might get FF1 on Xbox if there are used copies somewhere. Is 3 the best? Because if it is I'm missing out because I don't have a PS2/3.

You can find the Fatal Frame games on Xbox for fairly decent prices on Xbox on Ebay and Amazon, about $20-40 individually for both of them.

Which Fatal Frame is the 'best' really ranges from person to person, though generally the most recognized one as being the 'best' is Fatal Frame 2. However, opinions are kind of all over on what game in the series is the best/worst.

The bright side is that the Xbox versions of Fatal Frame 1 and 2 are definitely the best versions of the game, especially in the case with 2, which added a lot of new content from the PS2 release (the Wii Remake of 2 is more an altogether different beast in many ways even if its the same game, but its also very different).

Kater

Banned
This game and Evil Within are what keep my hopes alive that japanese horror games are still alive.

I hope it gets localized for an EU release as soon as possible. Can't wait! :)

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
$500? where do people get stuff like that, and then try to pass it off as 'they know better?' try like, $100,000. if you're cheap!

cacildo

For those who missed it, Famitsu has some pictures of the event.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201407/17057386.html

TUQ9CmD.jpg

pLtgrFX.jpg

PAw5jXR.jpg

JZx9SNk.jpg

I feel its kinda hard to make a game/movie scary when you make a whole presentation about it with several people and details about your multimedia project...

Not that im complaining (too much) because with the current lack of horror games ill take anything i can....

But i wish someday a publisher could work on a marketing push for a horror game that could work WITH the game...

(how did the Nanashi no Game series worked this, does anybody know?)

Renta

Banned
So what's with the Hollywood adaptation? Same guy from the resident evil films. Shouldn't this be something Nintendo should tag on twitter or something so big movie blogs can pick it up?

The Resident Evil films are well received, yes?

.la1n

Always had Fatal Frame in mind since the Wii U game pad unveiling. I really hope this will see localization outside of Japan. Looks like run speed is a little faster in this one as well, that's a good thing.

So what's with the Hollywood adaptation? Same guy from the resident evil films. Shouldn't this be something Nintendo should tag on twitter or something so big movie blogs can pick it up?

If you missed it, KADOKAWA is in control of Films and Manga for this Series

Nintendo is only in control of Games of this series so if you wonder why they would not be tweeting about a Film that is why they can't

prag16

Banned

Assuming the American film adaptation info is legit, how is it possible that anyone thinks this game isn't coming to the west?

Renta

Banned
If you missed it, KADOKAWA is in control of Films and Manga for this Series

Nintendo is only in control of Games of this series so if you wonder why they would not be tweeting about a Film that is why they can't

Oh. I didn't think it worked like that. That's pretty weird that they can't.

Assuming the American film adaptation info is legit, how is it possible that anyone thinks this game isn't coming to the west?

Also something I wondered.

Top Bottom