• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fatal Frame: Nuregarasu no Miko trailer + screenshots (Sep 27 in Japan)

Jucksalbe

Banned
did it really bomb though? Bomb like "sold way below expectations"? I can't remember if anyone from Nintendo ever commented on that. It had a pretty low print run from what I could tell, it also sold out pretty quickly at most retailers around my area (and never got restocked).

I don't think they ever commented on its sales, but looking how fast prices dropped (until they went up again, probably because of a low print run), I'd guess it didn't do all that well. Here's the price history of the game from Amazon.co.uk (now out of stock):

kQyFqyi.png

FryHole

So, even though it'd completely break the immersion for the sake of a cheap scare, I still think they should do a bit where you look down at the gamepad for some inventory reason and they've switched on the camera and you see one of the ghosts over your own shoulder.

Dascu

So, even though it'd completely break the immersion for the sake of a cheap scare, I still think they should do a bit where you look down at the gamepad for some inventory reason and they've switched on the camera and you see one of the ghosts over your own shoulder.

This is genius.

casiopao

I take that back. Looking at this thread, the water theme was definitely not a good idea.

How dare u. T_T water is a blessing u know. Don't u know how many kids and humans die not being able to enjoy water?

This game theme of water is teaching us on how beautiful and precious water can be for human whether it is for neccesity or for human needs.

Long live wet. Long live water. Long live gusha gusha.^_^

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Eternal Darkness Wii U would be the GOTForever

Shouldn't the next Direct be in August?

And I have hopes for localization. This isn't a game that can be considered that targets just the Japanese gamers. Also that Bill Trinen RT could mean something. Or not. Let's see. I want to play this game.

Predict Nintendo Direct pace? Foolish!
But I hope they'll do it at last within TGS time.
I'd like something similar to the pre-Wii U launc Direct, when they announced Bayo2 (so an external partnership, funded by Nintendo); Orochi 3 and Mosou 2 (KT games), MH3 Ultimate for Wii U (so a deal with N for western publishing of a 3DS game also ported on Wii U) and COD Blops2 (still uncofirmed until then).
Ok, they are not launching the system, so we can tone the expectations down, but would still be possible and very very good (to me) to hope for FF5 western confirmation (a KT game published in partnership with N), FE x SMT (an external partnership with Atlus, funded by N) and one among the two Capcom/Activision game.

SandTorso

Despite being sorta broken due to bugs, I loved Fatal Frame 4 on the Wii. I really hope this gets brought over to the US though, I don't feel like installing a fan patch again.

But good lord does this look fantastic.

wrowa

I don't think they ever commented on its sales, but looking how fast prices dropped (until they went up again, probably because of a low print run), I'd guess it didn't do all that well. Here's the price history of the game from Amazon.co.uk (now out of stock):

It definitely didn't sell well, but at the same time I don't think they expected it to do well either. They released it at a time, when it was obvious that there's not a market for that kind of title on the Wii anymore. It still strikes me as a game that barely anyone at all bought, though.

Dantis

You know, I like her outfit at the start of the video more than her main one, which looks a little weird.

The only thing I really hope doesn't make it into the fifth game is those stupid hands they introduced in 4 and the remake of 2 when you're picking up an item.

They were stupid and annoying as fuck.

I liked them a lot more in the remake of 2 because it almost never happened. For the most part it was just the slow reach out and nothing happened.

Foffy

Banned
Incredibly concerned about Nintendo localizing this...

They have an awful track record with the series, especially in America.

You know, I like her outfit at the start of the video more than her main one, which looks a little weird.

I liked them a lot more in the remake of 2 because it almost never happened. For the most part it was just the slow reach out and nothing happened.

changing outfits might be a thing in this game

wet girl = more sales
change outfits = more sales

maybe they are trying to finally sell this series

Fady K

If they decided to localize it, I'd expect them to have made that decision earlier in development. So I see no reason why a quick release would mean a barebones localization.

Good point. At the end of the day, I'd rather they give us the game in any form as long as we can play it and understand it.

Well, for. Yakuza sadly, the sales does not do well like at all here. And I just remember, the fact that some of the ads shown on the series like Razor Blade for Razor brand is not really applicable outside of Japan causing the extra income JP sells get not applicable outside of JP.

That is really unfortunate. I would love to play the Yakuza series but with 5 on the PS3 and Ishin PS3/4 not being translated, I'm not sure I'm willing to risk it. I'm into story a lot and i'd rather get to play the entire series when I am interested in its plot. That sucks, wish it wasn't too complicated like it is.

Fady K

Incredibly concerned about Nintendo localizing this...

They have an awful track record with the series, especially in America.

So. True.

For example, for the DS, they localized the RPG barely anyone wanted - Glory of Heracles (sp.?) and completely ignored the lovely RPG Soma Bringer from the developers of Xenoblade!

Foffy

Banned
So. True.

For example, for the DS, they localized the RPG barely anyone wanted - Glory of Heracles (sp.?) and completely ignored the lovely RPG Soma Bringer from the developers of Xenoblade!

Yeah, the Wii/DS generation is a rather big one regarding games they skipped with games still not in English, like Jet Impulse, The Legend of Starfy 4 (and all three previous games...), that one mecha game, Chibi-Robo 3...

Maybe it was all of the money they made, but so many of their games require fan efforts or importing. Glory of Heracles made sense as it's a more traditional game. Yet Soma Bringer should have been brought over, because I can't recall many Diablo clones on handhelds with internet capability for 2008. Maybe they thought a market didn't exist?

My concern with Fatal Frame is Nintendo may see their traditional audience uninterested in a survival horror game. I think that would explain why outside of that awful experimental spin-off on 3DS, NoA has never bothered.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
My concern with Fatal Frame is Nintendo may see their traditional audience uninterested in a survival horror game. I think that would explain why outside of that awful experimental spin-off on 3DS, NoA has never bothered.

so why funding the game (and it's clear that they are somwhow involved in this as in the latest ones)

casiopao

Yeah, the Wii/DS generation is a rather big one regarding games they skipped. Maybe it was all of the money they made, but so many of their games require fan efforts or importing. Glory of Heracles made sense as it's a more traditional game. Yet Soma Bringer should have been brought over, because I can't recall many Diablo clones on handhelds with internet capability for 2008. Maybe they thought a market didn't exist?

That's why we need to focus a lot more on Miiverse here. As long as we keep voicing our voices here, I believe ninty will bring the game here.

Don't forget Bill also retweet this game here.^_^

so why funding the game (and it's clear that they are somwhow involved in this as in the latest ones)

I seems that Miyamoto said something about Iwata being healthy (means that Iwata might have been the one planned to show up) health issues keeping him from it

so Nintendo is heavily into the game part of this series but how much are they willing to do in the west is the question

Foffy

Banned

Japan is different than other territories, clearly. Maybe it's worth it there? Nintendo, especially the American division, saw no effort for the fourth AND second game on their most successful console. You can argue the fourth game and its bugs, but did the remake of the second game have any?

casiopao

I seems that Miyamoto said something about Iwata being healthy (means that Iwata might have been the one planned to show up) health issues keeping him from it

so Nintendo is heavily into the game part of this series but how much are they willing to do in the west is the question

Hmmmm. If u ask me, I don't think ninty is going to miss this one here, considering that the sales on jp no matter what is going to be just low and several spikes here and there.

I believe US will be more of focus here.^_^

Fady K

Yeah, the Wii/DS generation is a rather big one regarding games they skipped with games still not in English, like Jet Impulse, The Legend of Starfy 4 (and all three previous games...), that one mecha game, Chibi-Robo 3...

Maybe it was all of the money they made, but so many of their games require fan efforts or importing. Glory of Heracles made sense as it's a more traditional game. Yet Soma Bringer should have been brought over, because I can't recall many Diablo clones on handhelds with internet capability for 2008. Maybe they thought a market didn't exist?

Yes, you mentioned some good candidates for localization! I think the success blinded them a bit and I'd rather they never get so successful again as I feel their greed will get the better of them!

Astonishing that they didn't give a game like Soma Bringer a shot...it was more shocking that it took SO MUCH EFFORT from dedicated fans to have them bring over Xenoblade. And they didn't even bother bringing the Last Story themselves. Ridiculous in my opinion. Especially when their Wii library was waning and game releases were decreasing on it.

I understand all the worry but would you guys support an eShop only western release of this title?

no retail, just digital for $40?

Oh heck yeah :D When our only option to play and understand a game is digitally, so be it. I'd rather have a physical copy every time of course, but if it wasn't for digital channels Capcom wouldn't have bothered giving us the latest Phoenix Wright game ^^

Japan is different than other territories, clearly. Maybe it's worth it there? Nintendo, especially the American division, saw no effort for the fourth AND second game on their most successful console. You can argue the fourth game and its bugs, but did the remake of the second game have any?

this series does not sell much at all in Japan tho Nintendo has been funding it because they wanted to have something different

remember there was a time when Resident Evil was hot and Nintendo was fighting to have them on Gamecube then finally got RE4 pretty much exclusive for a little while

this was something Nintendo wanted to have and they just kept supporting it maybe it is part of the publishing deal they have TK keeps making them and if Nintendo does not want to pay up TK can take it to Sony

so Nintendo is keeping it but it does not sell

Qurupeke

I really don't see why this won't come. It's definitely not coming this year, but even a late 2015 release is fine. I'm still surprised it's coming so soon in Japan.

Anyway, the game looks awesome and quite scary. It's really impressive. And I love the main girl.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
oh God this looks fucking scary

I hope and fear I'll get to play it sometime

With Bayonetta 2, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, and the surprise success of Tomadachi Life, I think Nintendo is more likely than ever to localise this game.

Zornica

Banned
Nintendo is the only known publisher willing to support games that sell very poorly see the current Media Create thread most people expect 10k-20k first week for this game and that is being hopeful really considering how they sold in the past Nintendo keeps funding them

so that is why we can beg for a western release but just subtitle it because it will not sell big numbers

I think you misunderstood what I meant. I'm well aware that Nintendo is one of the few big publishers, if not the only one, who is willing to release niche titles and doesn't expect them to sell a few million. With most of the games they publish, they seem like they don't even expect a profit (aka money) in return. They know they have to bring games like this one because nobody else does. I don't think we need to beg, I'm quite certain we will get the game sooner or later.

I'm not sure if amazon, especially the UK one is really all that representative when it comes to nintendo games... amazon.de for example got more than twice as many customer reviews (and the German version was also more stable in price overall).

Bomba or not, I don't think it's going to matter for 5 anyway.
I just hope that we can get a British dub again, if they decide to dub it.

L~A

Just slapping some subtitles and calling it a day not only wouldn't be enough (there's still all the ingame text to translate, as well as the manual, and other stuff), but it's quite the endeavour already (granted, this is no JRPG).

I have no doubt the game will come, but it doesn't matter much whether they add an English dub or not, it's not what takes the most time/money anyway.

About the video clips: pretty sure it's all in-game, or at the very last in-engine. Some parts looks a bit rough (not-so-good textures, etc...), if it were made specifically for the website, it would've been more polished.

Just slapping some subtitles and calling it a day not only wouldn't be enough (there's still all the ingame text to translate, as well as the manual, and other stuff), but it's quite the endeavour already (granted, this is no JRPG).

I have no doubt the game will come, but it doesn't matter much whether they add an English dub or not, it's not what takes the most time/money anyway.

About the video clips: pretty sure it's all in-game, or at the very last in-engine. Some parts looks a bit rough (not-so-good textures, etc...), if it were made specifically for the website, it would've been more polished.

Treehouse can do this in 4 months Xenoblade X is something that would take much much longer

we don't need dub but they should give he option for fans who want to play the original Japanese voices but if they give me some english dub I'm fine with that too

Fady K

Fatal Frame scared me very much, but it didn't come anywhere NEAR Outlast. Personally much, much, much scarier than Fatal Frame. Going back to Fatal Frame after Outlast is going to be very easy for me I think ;D

Jucksalbe

Banned
I'm not sure if amazon, especially the UK one is really all that representative when it comes to nintendo games... amazon.de for example got more than twice as many customer reviews (and the German version was also more stable in price overall).

Bomba or not, I don't think it's going to matter for 5 anyway.
I just hope that we can get a British dub again, if they decide to dub it.

Nah, Amazon.co.uk was just an example, the first store I could think of and they usually react to price changes of other UK online stores.

But honestly, up until now only one game in the series wasn't localized and they very obviously had plans to localize that one, too. So chances are very good for this one, at least for Europe.

I see no reason to freak out about this for the moment.

Fatal Frame scared me very much, but it didn't come anywhere NEAR Outlast. Personally much, much, much scarier than Fatal Frame. Going back to Fatal Frame after Outlast is going to be very easy for me I think ;D

I like the environments in Fatal Frame at least this one is very close to FF2

have not seen Outlast does it have rain?

I need a cheat code for Fatal Frame 5 (turn off all creepy ghosts) let me explore the cool mountain without creepy things... just me and a we Yuri

I'm pretty sure PC has many scarier games than Fatal Frame the formula of Fatal Frame is something that you know and you expect it to work this way but the environments is the draw

imagine playing Fatal Frame during a late night summer rain storm outside your windows :)

Kouriozan

Nah, Amazon.co.uk was just an example, the first store I could think of and they usually react to price changes of other UK online stores.

But honestly, up until now only one game in the series wasn't localized and they very obviously had plans to localize that one, too. So chances are very good for this one, at least for Europe.

I see no reason to freak out about this for the moment.
This is true, there was a game breaking bug in the JP version of Fatal Frame 4 and Nintendo asked KT to fix it so they can release it in the West and KT didn't want or something iirc.
I see no reason not to get this one, and like I saw during the stream, this game is here to "diversify the line up of the Wii U".

Top Bottom