• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV Hands-On Impressions

injurai

Banned
So far I'm actually fine with every voice in the game. It's the script that's awkward for me. Greasemoneky granddaughter, beat up old clunker...came off awkward to my ears. There were some lines that the party members say that were awkward to me as well. Feels like the translators were thinking that's how we spoke, instead of the translators knowing because they speak it too. I could be way off, but that's how it comes off to me.

I'll be playing in English, though. I want my focus to fully be on the cutscenes.

Honestly the way she speaks reminds me of a lot of American literature I read when I was younger that was written in the 50s through 60s. Just a lot of off the cuff portmanteaus that loved to indulge in lingo which came from the blue collar work that a lot of people did back then.

Dark_castle

I looked through all FFXV threads and I've came to a conclusion. Square Enix needs to start paying Ishida good money for his excellent shilling and damage control work here in NeoGAF.

Oh wait, could Ishida actually be a real SE employee!?

I looked through all FFXV threads and I've came to a conclusion. Square Enix needs to start paying Ishida good money for his excellent shilling and damage control work here in NeoGAF.

Baseball-Player-Tries-To-Hold-In-The-Laughter-During-Zoom.gif

Toth

I've harped on this before, but why does this game have quest markers, named quests and text telling you what to do plastered on the hud? it's like they took everything bad with modern western aaa games and married it with jpop. it's painful to see what an ugly monstrosity this has become.

The same thing is used in FFXIV. It's actually quite helpful at times. Besides, you can also turn them (the quest markers) off from the options I believe.

wmlk

In the 50 min video was there a cutscene of the Emperor talking to a couple of his underlings?

There were only two characters from the Niflheim Empire in the 50 minute video. General Loqi who battles in a mech as a boss battle and Chancellor Ardyn Izunia, who first appears in the seaside resort. I don't remember anyone from the Empire talking to underlings. Was there something that we didn't get to see?

The same thing is used in FFXIV. It's actually quite helpful at times. Besides, you can also turn them (the quest markers) off from the options I believe.

What he means is that he hates how it guides you towards the objective instead of you find your way there like previous old school games.

Ishida

Banned

I sent them my resume.

Still waiting.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Its not that serious. Ishida(and wmlk for that matter) is just really wanting the game to be good and has faith that it will be. No need to call people shills around here out of the blue.

I may disagree with the guy on certain things, but that's very unfair to say

wmlk

What he means is that he hates how guides you towards the objective instead of you find your way there like previous old school games.

I think it should be very easy to play the entire story with the guides turned off. I don't think we can disable it based on what's a story quest and what's a side quest, though...

Mediking

Did you find out the truth about me then?

If you don't like the game why not let others enjoy it?

This bs right here is why I've been avoiding these threads now. Soon as I get weak and open it..boom

Skinpop

You can turn them off though so I don't see what the issue is.
Those things are devices that allow mass production of generic content - or in other words they are there to remove the need for a well designed game. So turning them off doesn't make things better since the information and design to support that gameplay isn't in the game. So let's not act like playing with hud off is the same thing as something designed from the ground up to be played like that(like most beloved FF games).
But people don't complain because hey who cares if the actual experience of playing the game is shit as long as it's overflowing with "content". I call this content based game design. it's games designed to serve mass produced content, as opposed to design and content being an integrated seamless thing.

Maybe you should ask yourself why it's helpful? Maybe it has something to do with the nature of the world design or how those quests are designed? We didn't use to get kill 3 monsters "quests" in ff, but now we have them. Maybe those sort of things are correlated?

injurai

Banned
Those things are devices that allow mass production of generic content - or in other words they are there to remove the need for a well designed game. So turning them off doesn't make things better since the information and design to support that gameplay isn't in the game. So let's not act like playing with hud off is the same thing as something designed from the ground up to be played like that(like most beloved FF games).
But people don't complain because hey who cares if the actual experience of playing the game is shit as long as it's overflowing with "content". I call this content based game design. it's games designed to serve mass produced content, as opposed to design and content being an integrated seamless thing.

I don't remember having clear direction of where to go in the original few FF games tbh, sounds like a long due return to form.

Dmax3901

There were only two characters from the Niflheim Empire in the 50 minute video. General Loqi who battles in a mech as a boss battle and Chancellor Ardyn Izunia, who first appears in the seaside resort. I don't remember anyone from the Empire talking to underlings. Was there something that we didn't get to see?

Hmm. Ardyn did show up at the resort, I don't remember the dude in the mech at all. I did fight the mech but I don't recall any cutscene before it or anything.

I'm struggling to remember exactly when the cutscene I'm talking about happened. It was the bad guy king talking to a tall dude with shoulder-length white hair about Noctis and his potential as a spanner in their works. Next to the tall dude was an older guy, typical sly advisor type. Behind them was a woman with brown hair. I really liked her design but she didn't say much if anything. Was a short scene.

Toparaman

Banned
Its not that serious. Ishida(and wmlk for that matter) is just really wanting the game to be good and has faith that it will be. No need to call people shills around here out of the blue.

I may disagree with the guy on certain things, but that's very unfair to say

Most of us really want the game to be good. We just don't feel the need to handwave every criticism directed towards it like it's our sweet baby child.

To be fair he seems to be toning it down a little.

Voror

Hmm. Ardyn did show up at the resort, I don't remember the dude in the mech at all. I did fight the mech but I don't recall any cutscene before it or anything.

I'm struggling to remember exactly when the cutscene I'm talking about happened. It was the bad guy king talking to a tall dude with shoulder-length white hair about Noctis and his potential as a spanner in their works. Next to the tall dude was an older guy, typical sly advisor type. Behind them was a woman with brown hair. I really liked her design but she didn't say much if anything. Was a short scene.

Was white hair guy also wearing white with a weird left arm?

wmlk

The white haired guy could have been Ravus.

k1X8lD.jpg

From what it sounds like, one of them is probably also Iedolas.

CfOsVveWAAESuwS.jpg

No idea about the other two, though.

Skinpop

I don't remember having clear direction of where to go in the original few FF games tbh, sounds like a long due return to form.

clear direction has nothing to do with it. on the contrary getting lost is a big part of the experience since it's the only way you'll ever have any meaningful exploration. a well designed game will teach you how to overcome those hurdles, so that you can figure things out if you step back and think for a moment.

I got called out for user bait hard, and this is quite evidently that on the opposite token. Interesting to see

I havent loved an FF game since 9 (14 is great though)

I was holding out blind faith this would turn out good. Its turning out to be even worse than the disastrous FF13.

Such a shame. What happened to Square? Did all their old talent leave? Is there literally nobody left from FF glory days?

KiN0

It feels like we're more critical of graphics on console games than we were in past generations, especially starting the PS3/X360 gen.

I just want a game that's enjoyable and looks nice at the same time. I'm not asking for/expecting PC graphics. I don't care TOO much about it. I guess I'm in the minority.

I think criticsm all boils down to the goals the game in question is trying to achieve. FFXV is striving for a very realistic look, so the graphical imperfections are much more noticeable and much more detrimental to the overall execution of the aesthetic.

injurai

Banned
I just want the game to have a good frame rate. I played the first Duscae demo and it was really hard to deal with. I'd hate to play a 30+ hour game with that frame rate.

The overreaction to Cidney's accent is weird to me. She probably has the most consistent delivery of her lines in the game. Cid is voiced really well too and his accent is the same, but I guess Cidney always gets the emphasis.

EDIT: She's actually Cindy since I'm referring to the English version. Bad habit lol.

Yup.

Inuhanyou

I havent loved an FF game since 9 (14 is great though)

I was holding out blind faith this would turn out good. Its turning out to be even worse than the disastrous FF13.

Such a shame. What happened to Square? Did all their old talent leave? Is there literally nobody left from FF glory days?

I think your being a tad hyperbolic. They would really have to have gone far to make a game on the level of FF13, atleast wait until its out before saying so.

This project has been through a rocky dev period in more ways than 1. I'm assuming SE just wants the game out at this point and done with so they can move on and never have to worry about backlash that Versus was officially canceled.

Toth

Maybe you should ask yourself why it's helpful? Maybe it has something to do with the nature of the world design or how those quests are designed? We didn't use to get kill 3 monsters "quests" in ff, but now we have them. Maybe those sort of things are correlated?

It's just the way games are designed now. Especially MMORPGs. It's helpful in the same way they are helpful in Witcher 3 or FFXV: to reduce the need to check up Quest menus again and again. Also, like many of these games, it can be turned off.

Don't forget: they want more casual players to get into this game and quest markers are designed to offer valuable assistance,

Dmax3901

I think criticsm all boils down to the goals the game in question is trying to achieve. FFXV is striving for a very realistic look, so the graphical imperfections are much more noticeable and much more detrimental to the overall execution of the aesthetic.

I get this. I'm a huge Nintendo fan but also a PC gamer so I'm familiar with compromise as well as how good IQ can get. This is not a matter of a realistic look being more susceptible to visual imperfections. The game is definitely undercooked.

injurai

Banned
I think Square still has a lot of talent, and things are looking better now than they have in a long time. Knock on wood.

But remember. The jump to HD was rough on Japan with people mostly sticking to SD tvs. The PS3 architecture was hard on everyone and kickstarted numerous development hells for various developers. XIII fiasco started as a PS2 game then transitioned into a PS3 project that never had a clear leader at the helm. Versus XIII was originally not part of FNC but was integrated for marketing purposes. The 2008 stock market crash. Issues with the Luminous engine and the leaving of the lead developer. A new generation launched before Versus XIII could ever be. Failed XIV launch that required an internal reorg to get enough people on it to "fix it"

They have been through a lot, it's impressive they are still such a powerhouse.

Inuhanyou

I think Square still has a lot of talent, and things are looking better now than they have in a long time. Knock on wood.

But remember. The jump to HD was rough on Japan with people mostly sticking to SD tvs. The PS3 architecture was hard on everyone and kickstarted numerous development hells for various developers. XIII fiasco started as a PS2 game then transitioned into a PS3 project that never had a clear leader at the helm. Versus XIII was originally not part of FNC but was integrated for marketing purposes. The 2008 stock market crash. Issues with the Luminous engine and the leaving of the lead developer. A new generation launched before Versus XIII could ever be. Failed XIV launch that required an internal reorg to get enough people on it to "fix it"

Versus13 was always apart of FNC, the same with Type 0. From the start. The problem is that FNC didn't go as planned with the bad reception FF13 got, and the constant delaying of the other FNC games. Type 0 didn't even come out until 2011, 6 years after the announcement

Just know that there are those who are still excited for the game that lurk these threads but never post.

Stay strong.

hand-gaga-beyonce-telephone-o.gif
Eh it's not even the people that don't like it that's annoying I couldn't care less about that because opinions and all lol. When every thread breaks out into a digital foundry graphic discussion tho..ugh

Mediking

Rest assured. As the director of FFXVI, I will make many proud and happy. You got nothing to worry about it.

Why did this game have so many demos? You'd think by now there'd be at least one decent vertical slice they could use to sell people on the traversal, graphics, story, and combat.

I've only played the platinum demo and I'm kind of baffled why you would show that to anyone, particularly if you were "rewarding" the fans with a much better playing section.

KiN0

I get this. I'm a huge Nintendo fan but also a PC gamer so I'm familiar with compromise as well as how good IQ can get. This is not a matter of a realistic look being more susceptible to visual imperfections. The game is definitely undercooked.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing. The game looks really rough. I was just saying, I think we as gamers are generally much harsher on games that try to go for a realistic look.

Squire

Banned
Eh it's not even the people that don't like it that's annoying I couldn't care less about that because opinions and all lol. When every thread breaks out into a digital foundry graphic discussion tho..ugh

That's a situation SE created for themselves though. Graphics have been a huge selling point for this series from FFVII onward. Even restricting it to recent events, they probably never should've shown the game at the fidelity they once were since the engine is junk and they know it.

I mean, it was downgraded, so now the audience that cares about that kind of thing is doing what they do. It's kind of annoying and banal, I agree, but publishers/studios could help themselves in a big way if they stop over-promising to begin with.

Top Bottom