• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV Hands-On Impressions

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Sins of Cindy besides the Dukes of Hazard design:

-Not called Cidney because of reasons
-Fake Southern accent
-No Australian accent
-Whaletail straight from the 90s
-No thought as to how she could be an interesting narrative extension to Cid's legacy, given his appearances throughout the series
V4EKvb4.jpg

YoJp6Sm.jpg

So reading the opinions prove right my predictions, sigh.
I believe this will get even worse when it releases and honestly I believe the delay was just a contract or a marketing tactic to launch alongside PS4N/Slim and there is little to no polishing left to do.

Battle feels sluggish(Honestly only by watching gameplay videos is enough, though I tried platinum and yeah..).
I see some weird directive decisions in this 50 minute video but I can't be sure because the video is edited.
Also I can't help but be pessimist when the original vision and plan was to make a trilogy and now we have a single game.
And on top of that the game runs bad and looks bad.

P.S I won't deny I dislike Tabata and have 0 trust on him, business man at best.

Games not sluggish
Game is getting polished
Gamescon best RPG of the show award.
Did Nomuras vision ever really existed? tbh, there was never an alpha or a beta version of FF13v, it was just some simple idea. All the original trailers never had real game play, story wasn't even complete right?

Well there is the rub isn't it? They had no other ideas in mind when they put her on the car via DLC, or in the VR episode, or when first introducing her, and that's very sad, and its worse because her design is just embarrassing, and not titillating at all.

Tifa is my favorite FF character of all time bar none, and the difference between a character like Cindy and a character like Tifa, despite both of their outward designs being based on being physically attractive, is like comparing fire to ice

Well I mean Tifa is an actual character, Cindy is a hood ornament.

And I think it speaks to the fears a lot of people have about Tabata's management of the overall aesthetic-thematic framework of the game. There's an undeniable gracelessness, artlessness to her that I think comes from the workman-like way Tabata tackled the project; "Hey, I fixed this multi-million dollar boondoggle, don't I deserve some piece of digital ass?"

Maledict

It has very high quality lighting, animations, and character models. (not to mention a good art style), but these things are all hindered by really bad IQ. You fix the IQ in this game and its among the best looking open world games on the PS4.

I think I played a different demo of the game then. The platinum demo was full of *terrible* texture work. Like, some of the worse stuff I've seen on the ps4 - and worse than some PS3 games. The room where you were tiny was terrible - they just scaled up low Rez textures in size and it meant bits of it were just bad. The plants for example. Similarly, the city in the next stage looked utterly dead - the buildings outside of the moveable area were just boxes with low Rez textures and detail.

The characters and monsters may look great (and the car!), but the environmental textures and detail around them are really bad.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
tbf..the game looks rough in some spots. Again I don't think its the end of the world (like it doesn't look worst than Xenoblade X did at times, and that was my GOTY last year),,,but lets be real, it looks really bad at times and FF generally is top of the line. XIII for example still looks pretty good today.

I dunno... It just feels to me that people really need to lower their expectations for what sort of results they are going to get from a cheap box like the stock PS4. Lets just dispense with the hype and look at it for what is compared to the best kit on the market.

Personally, I'm cool with games that push the hardware to breaking point, because it shows that they are at least trying to do more, and particularly now we appear to be on a technology path that gives strong assurances of forwards compatibility, that ambition should reap dividends going forwards.

Point of reference: Dragon's Dogma was one of my favourites last gen, in spite of looking rough in spots and frequently running at what I consider to be the absolute lowest limit before gameplay gets adversely affected. Despite that my abiding memory of that game is that I had a ton of fun playing it, and that it had plenty of visually stunning moments. Its kind of what I mean by balance, I'll happily take the rough with the smooth provided the overall result is a good one.

Breakage

Cindy looks like she belongs in the DOA universe.
Most of the character designs in this game are terrible in my opinion.

And XV's supposed to restore the series' reputation... Seems like it will be another divisive FF game.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Well I mean Tifa is an actual character, Cindy is a hood ornament.

And I think it speaks to the fears a lot of people have about Tabata's management of the overall aesthetic-thematic framework of the game. There's an undeniable gracelessness, artlessness to her that I think comes from the workman-like way Tabata tackled the project; "Hey, I fixed this multi-million dollar boondoggle, don't I deserve some piece of digital ass?"

I was pissed when someone on the staff said that people were hypocrites for wanting to see competent and strong female party members but were angry about Cindy existing. Like what the fuck is your fucking mental viewpoint pal?

All the original trailers never had real game play, story wasn't even complete right?

Nomura said the entire script of the story was written in 2008, but he was waiting for the chance to push the game into full production. And we did see plenty of Versus assets and gameplay in 2011, but that was most likely footage built up over time and not the direct state of the project considering they were barely able to work on it on a consistent basis

this game will be required to have a NEO patch by Sony because of the release date correct?

If the old documents are still on point it would have required a Neo patch when it was late September release, late November it needs to have a Neo mode on the disc.

The Argus

The driving on rails thing makes me sad. The fact that OP couldn't outrun a giant and was forced to fight it makes me even sadder. Still holding onto my preorder, despite not liking the Platinum demo and not having played a JRPG since Grandia II and Dark Cloud.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

-Fake Southern accent
-No Australian accent
-No thought as to how she could be an interesting narrative extension to Cid's legacy, given his appearances throughout the series

For the sake of the argument there's actual Cid and he isn't just an attachment, he does his own Cid things apparently. Cidney just fixes up the car.

Nikokuno

-Fake Southern accent
-No Australian accent

Where's XIV Cid? Anyway VII/VIII/IX/XIV are my favorites.

LowParry

And XV's supposed to restore the series' reputation... Seems like it will be another divisive FF game.

Give it time. :D

I was pissed when someone on the staff said that people were hypocrites for wanting to see competent and strong female party members but were angry about Cindy existing. Like what the fuck is your fucking mental viewpoint pal?

I guess what's frustrating to me is I'm a have your cake and eat it too kind of guy, and I'm not saying I think issues of objectification aren't important, but you could easily have a hot mechanic girl who's also an interesting character in her own right. That she isn't that implies mismatched priorities of the devs to me.

So reading the opinions prove right my predictions, sigh.
I believe this will get even worse when it releases and honestly I believe the delay was just a contract or a marketing tactic to launch alongside PS4N/Slim and there is little to no polishing left to do.

Battle feels sluggish(Honestly only by watching gameplay videos is enough, though I tried platinum and yeah..).
I see some weird directive decisions in this 50 minute video but I can't be sure because the video is edited.
Also I can't help but be pessimist when the original vision and plan was to make a trilogy and now we have a single game.
And on top of that the game runs bad and looks bad.

P.S I won't deny I dislike Tabata and have 0 trust on him, business man at best.

As somebody who played the game for 4+ hours and found it great fun but had it crash on him repeatedly, AND had a boss twice break by turning invincible... trust me, there is polishing left to do, and that's the reason for the delay. It's genuine. This is an actually fully mad conspiracy theory.

Mik317

I dunno... It just feels to me that people really need to lower their expectations for what sort of results they are going to get from a cheap box like the stock PS4. Lets just dispense with the hype and look at it for what is compared to the best kit on the market.

Personally, I'm cool with games that push the hardware to breaking point, because it shows that they are at least trying to do more, and particularly now we appear to be on a technology path that gives strong assurances of forwards compatibility, that ambition should reap dividends going forwards.

Point of reference: Dragon's Dogma was one of my favourites last gen, in spite of looking rough in spots and frequently running at what I consider to be the absolute lowest limit before gameplay gets adversely affected. Despite that my abiding memory of that game is that I had a ton of fun playing it, and that it had plenty of visually stunning moments. Its kind of what I mean by balance, I'll happily take the rough with the smooth provided the overall result is a good one.

Dogma is another good example of mediocre graphics and performance not effecting my enjoyment actually.

I won't exactly blame the ps4 but rather the whole project. XV is a frankenstein of a game...for better or for worse...so it was never going to be perfect, even with time, better hardware, or whatever. It is what it is. so I agree lower expectations are needed for sure.

however, due to the length of this games history, the FF legacy, the Versus legacy and such...those expectations won't be lowered. I think I have come to realize this....people love this series, they love what they feel like versus could have been, and they want it to be great...but reality is a cruel mistress, so they lash out at it the moment is misteps like the sickly child it is lol.

tbf aren't most FF's divisive? After 6 really.

Muffdraul

tbf aren't most FF's divisive? After 6 really.

My god, YES. I've been online since summer 1994, and the FF fan community back then was a utopia. I swear I don't remember anyone disagreeing that FFI was great, FFIV was better, and FFVI was best. I honestly don't remember a single person ever saying they thought IV was better than VI. Then after FFVII came out in the US, everything went to shit. The community exploded and suddenly everyone wanted to kill each other. Suddenly people were saying Chrono Trigger was the best Square RPG. They didn't start saying that until FFVII came out, two years after CT! It was weird as hell I tell ya...

Bladenic

-Fake Southern accent
-No Australian accent

This reminds me of how stupid FFVI Cid looked, like a giant banana.

i-Lo

Some more tasteful impressions of Cindy:

tumblr_nlp7u57n441ri7rfho1_500.gif

That's since great attention to detail (tan lines).

However, I hope to god that there's JP VA because I unequivocally despise her English VA (that accent sounds so cringe worthy especially because it feels even more exaggerated).

I'd trade a brand new copy of the English version (if it doesn't also come with JP va) for a used copy of JP import if there are English subs and menus.

sublimit

Banned
2 minutes loading times between the chapters is terrible.I think it's even worse than how the Witcher 3 was at launch.

chefbags

That's since great attention to detail (tan lines).

However, I hope to god that there's JP VA because I unequivocally despise her English VA (that accent sounds so cringe worthy especially because it feels even more exaggerated).

I'd trade a brand new copy of the English version (if it doesn't also come with JP va) for a used copy of JP import if there are English subs and menus.

It's been said by Tabata before that there will be dual audio included right from the start.

SilentRob

-Fake Southern accent
-No Australian accent

For the sake of the argument there's actual Cid and he isn't just an attachment, he does his own Cid things apparently. Cidney just fixes up the car.

I'm not sure that argument holds up because in the japanese version Cindey is called...yup...

...Cidney.

Ishida

Banned

Agreed.

Cindy is not the Cid of this game. We already have a Cid who does his regular Cid things.

Mediking

I think all the women we've seen in FFXV so far has been really pretty in their own way. Gentiana, Aranea, Luna, Cidney... I hope there's even more women too.

SilentRob

Yeah, and? This guy isn't in the Japanese version?

Sure he is but apparently the original intention seemed to be for Cidney to be "a" Cid, too. Also seems like she is really the one you are mainly interacting with in the game.

It was just an answer to the notion that the developers didn't call her Cidney because there already was a Cid. That can't be true since the developers actually DID call her Cidney :D My guess would be: Translators thought "Cidney" sounded funny and weren't aware of the context of the name "Cid"? I'm not really sure.

sensui-tomo

cidney is a cid just like linkle is a link right? aka not a cid/link since cid is in the game and is in that gamestop exclusive preorder game too (iirc)
I'm worried to see more discussions with FF15 being solely focused on her. Instead of it being on FF15 not being The Witcher 3 /s
I'm looking forward to this game, hope it turns out alright.

The God

this game will be required to have a NEO patch by Sony because of the release date correct?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but there's nothing that says a game has to be graphically upgraded, only that it needs to be patched to work on the Neo console.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Wish they release the game soon so people will stop arguing about Cidney's tan lines and graphics. :(

Ydelnae

I think all the women we've seen in FFXV so far has been really pretty in their own way. Gentiana, Aranea, Luna, Cidney... I hope there's even more women too.

jfUDAhj.gif

"Hi, you might have mistaken me for a walking robot, but I AM a grown woman too, desu ne!"

sensui-tomo

Duscae was trashed? Why??? R.I.P to Episode Duscae, RIP to 1st Ni-Oh demo and RIP to Luminose Engine Kingdom Hearts 3.

Hahahahaha yeah, yeah. I'm a proud 22 year old!

i'm assuming sarcasm but on the chance you werent being sarcastic, a huge majority of the thread became a huge shitpost circle jerk (with some minor people actually making good arguements) about cidney to the point that falk and kagari intervened

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The first four hours pretty much confirm that it will be, do they not? : /
Not necessarily. Look at FF7's story from when you leave Kalm up until you get to Corel. It's essentially a bunch of minigames - chocobo taming, simplified game of Snake crossing the marsh, tower defense lite, Mr. Dolphin's Electric Jumping Boogaloo, Shinra Marching Band, Metal Gear Sailor, Jenova fight. Then a bunch of story happens again.

Top Bottom