• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV's future updates adjust chapters, add cutscenes, add playable characters, more

Amikami

Banned
I'm a little pissed. I just started the game an haven't even made it off chapter 1. But now it's like I feel like I need to wait. This is good news but I don't know why we have to release games that aren't finished according to the creators themselves. Guess I should be happy I have the option of choosing to wait. *sigh*

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I don't know if I should be happy about this... I hope we don't get such major changes for FFVIIR. The Vincent and Yuffie Patch for example...

I know traditionally they would make International editions and this is not that different. But still... Part of me just wants them to move on and go full gear into XVI.

Also not that keen on the multiplayer DLC. It will come too late and people won't be interested at that point in time...

FF15 was shipped unfinished. on some level, that might have been their plan to begin with, just ship it with all the stuff cut out and then do what they could after launch.

Its a shitty business model. Just having the game come out at all cost is not a good strategy.

The game should be enhanced with DLC to turn a great and already full competent game into an amazing game, not to update a half baked product into basic competency.

That's like ninja gaiden 3 to NG3 razor's edge levels of bottom of the barrel. FF15's game elements may be far better than ninja gaiden 3, but its structure is just as messy, and that should not be at launch.

And that's after a 10GB day one patch on top of already delaying the game for 2 months to supposedly avoid such a thing.

Dark_castle

FF15 was shipped unfinished. on some level, that might have been their plan to begin with, just ship it with all the stuff cut out and then do what they could after launch.

Its a shitty business model. Just having the game come out at all cost is not a good strategy.

The game should be enhanced with DLC to turn a great and already full competent game into an amazing game, not to update a half baked product into basic competency.

That's like ninja gaiden 3 to NG3 razor's edge levels of bottom of the barrel. FF15's game elements may be far better than ninja gaiden 3, but its structure is just as messy, and that should not be at launch.

Which is quite ironic, because they had already delayed the game once and claims that the final release will be a complete master version or something. And now, just look at the things they're adding post final game. Not just bugs fixes or balance adjustment, but fucking story content.

Koh

I'm shocked to read this thread. I had no idea the game was essentially unfinished based on the reviews. How does this go unnoticed and downplayed until after launch?

Edit: the post below mine captures my perspective. I thought I wanted the game.

TrueBlue

So what's the deal here? XV is on my Christmas list, so I want to know what's been going on and why the reactions are what they are.

Zafir

So what's the deal here? XV is on my Christmas list, so I want to know what's been going on and why the reactions are what they are.

The story just seems really stitched together and barely coherent, which is understandably disappointing for some(myself included).

I mean if you're interested in the gameplay, and the open world, you can still easily enjoy the game. Just don't go expecting a great well told story.

So next year would be a good point to pick it up then?

Actually I'll just wait for GOTY edition.
Yeah, this game sounds like it'll be amazing next year.

I hate this trend in gaming, but I've learned to adjust since MK9 had the GOTY with all the characters, and came out cheaper.

Fuck your hype machine, games industry, I'll wait.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm shocked to read this thread. I had no idea the game was essentially unfinished based on the reviews. How does this go unnoticed and downplayed until after launch?

It's nowhere near as incomplete as some are making it out to be.

It's a great game and my personal GOTY, despite its obvious flaws. There are more than enough who agree with me for it to not be a forgone conclusion for you either way.

Inuhanyou

Which is quite ironic, because they had already delayed the game once and claims that the final release will be a complete master version or something. And now, just look at the things they're adding post final game. Not just bugs fixes or balance adjustment, but fucking story content.

Its annoying to me because my guess is this might SE's testing the waters to see if this will be accepted.

XV is a structural mess. There are people who can look past it and see the excellent points in the game, but that's the case.

And now they are trying to release post content to bandaid the game into less of a structural mess.

Its a good thing for them to try and fix parts of the game that have faltered, but its not a good thing when such a thing should not have been the case at launch to start with, that is the kind of thing your supposed to have already addressed during basic development when your making the game.

They are not just making extra DLC, they are adding entire story cut scenes, quest missions and whole contents around the current game just to make the game's story elements narrative structure and chapter pacing make basic sense. That's ridiculous and unacceptable.

Just Versus purist attacking Tabata enthusiast mixed with extreme hyper holing. Typical XV thread.

This is an unfortunate side affect of fanboyism taking hold and making false accusations. Nobody cares about Versus in this thread, but the end product and what SE should be prioritizing for their development pipeline.

Nobody is talking about Tabata either but SE as a publisher rushing games out before they are done

TrueBlue

Its annoying to me because my guess is this might SE's testing the waters to see if this will be accepted.

XV is a structural mess. There are people who can look past it and see the excellent points in the game, but that's the case.

And now they are trying to release post content to bandaid the game into less of a structural mess.

Its a good thing for them to try and fix parts of the game that have faltered, but its not a good thing when such a thing should not have been the case at launch to start with, that is the kind of thing your supposed to have already addressed during basic development when your making the game.

They are not just making extra DLC, they are adding entire story cut scenes, quest missions and whole contents around the current game just to make the game's story elements narrative structure and chapter pacing make basic sense. That's ridiculous.

Cripes. Even if I get the game at Christmas, I might hold off until they've applied the bandaid, so to speak.

TrojanAg

I'll just keep distracting myself with side quests and the open world until this patch drops, which hopefully is soon. I'm only starting Chapter 3 but I'm about 14 hours into the game. I hope it does come soon because I may have to stop my playthrough if I get too far into the game.

It is kind of crazy to think that they're making such extensive changes after release. I'm still enjoying the game a lot, but it isn't as story focused as previous games, mostly because up until now it has not been a linear experience. We'll see how this game evolves in the coming months, but I don't want to have to replay the game if the changes being proposed are really big.

Zakalwe

Banned

They are not just making extra DLC, they are adding entire story cut scenes, quest missions and whole contents around the current game just to make the game's story elements narrative structure and chapter pacing make basic sense. That's ridiculous.

Haha, come on dude... there's nowhere near that much that needs fixings

A few cutscenes.
A few lines of dialogue here and there.
Cut c13 in half.

That's it, literally.

The rest is game refinements you'd usually see in a patch like camera fixes, balances, etc...

These additions aren't going to be and don't need to be as big as you're imagining.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi

They are not just making extra DLC, they are adding entire story cut scenes, quest missions and whole contents around the current game just to make the game's story elements narrative structure and chapter pacing make basic sense. That's ridiculous and unacceptable.

This is an unfortunate side affect of fanboyism taking hold and making false accusations. Nobody cares about Versus in this thread, but the end product and what SE should be prioritizing for their development pipeline.

Nobody is talking about Tabata either but SE as a publisher rushing games out before they are done

They didn't say they're adding new quest missions, though, did they?

notaskwid

You're crazy if you think they'll add all that. I wish they did, but they won't. Which is fine too.

The problem once again is Tabata saying too much and too little. No one honestly knows how much will be added to the base game with these updates. I feel most who think this game is an "early access game" or think it's "incomplete" are going to find that to not change even when these updates come to pass.

Tabata's issue is that he's very open about development but isn't specific enough so that it leads to confusion and craziness. He should have said something like "Our team plans on continuing to polish and improve the game as well as offer the aforementioned DLC packs" Then they could eventually release the update without people speculating how much is going to be added or what even is going to get added.

Inuhanyou

They didn't say they're adding new quest missions, though, did they?

Event scenes are not just cutscenes, but entire events(or quest missions) to flesh out the rest of the game that was barely told.

what actually ever happend to nifleheim in its entirely, what ravus was doing from his perspective, what luna was doing most of the the game ect.

Character switching is also apart of this, they will likely allow more characters to be played to show those events from said perspective

Ray Down

Banned
Yeah, that's what I thought.

They very well could make scenario where the guest party members are added into the party but who knows at this point.

Seeing how I'm not that far into XV I don't know how they leave. They could just remove the reason why they leave and just at a function at camps to switch them out.

jimmypython

all I REALLY need XV-related things are the OST and the Ultimania Omega guide (the inevitable third one full of secrets and concept arts)

Yeah, I really hope we get an actually roadmap and details on what BD2's plans are for FFXV updates. I'm honestly curious if the additions are really as major as people are making them out to be.

As it stands right now I don't see it being that huge or anything that will sway people who are already critical of the game.

Inuhanyou

I am just very pissed off. I was happy when i first read the news cause obviously i want them to try and fix the game as best they can. But then i get more and more irritated when i think that a lot of things are half baked in the game, and it didn't need to be launched that way.

Even with patches there is only so much they can do, as the structure of the game as it was launched can't be changed, they can only try and add things around that.

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll
add a brand new chapter after the timeskip in the world of ruin where we can meet up with timeskipped Areana or Iris on our way to Insomnia and do some super high level daemon slaying

Zakalwe

Banned
Event scenes are not just cutscenes, but entire events(or quest missions) to flesh out the rest of the game that was barely told.

what actually ever happend to nifleheim in its entirely, what ravus was doing from his perspective, what luna was doing most of the the game ect.

Character switching is also apart of this, they will likely allow more characters to be played to show those events from said perspective

You're crazy.

They're just going to add a few cut scenes and bits of dialogue.

Thing about prompto is his reveal is actually really, really good......it's just you have to watch brotherhood to understand it

I did watch all of Brotherhood, It was still a really stupid reveal. Felt like it was out of nowhere.

Brotherhood is by far the best thing to come out of the whole FFXV Universe / Compilation of FFXV.

Nerokis

The game has plenty of significant issues despite the fun your having. That is deeply flawed by definition.

People holding onto the mindset that the game isn't incomplete are basically signalling to SE that they can continue to push their developers into rushing out games without them being finished with huge patches months down the line adding entire story segments within the narrative that were supposed to already be there.

No, not really. FFXV is a special case: a game with a compromised development process, and a game that had a particular impetus (budget, expectations, SE's product pipeline, etc.) to actually be released within a reasonable period of time. The people who think it was "unfinished" are mostly referring to an overall narrative direction that (as far as I can tell) probably couldn't have been fixed with just a little extra time or a handful of additions. The narrative isn't what it is because it was rushed, but because of the conflicted development that it came from. SE put in the time and the money, and FFXV is what they came up with.

In other words, I doubt it's something that reflects SE's larger plans, or whatever. It's a very circumstantial thing.

Epcott

Are you fucking serious

Stop playing right now people

Do not get up to that chapter until the patch hits

I repeat

DO NOT PLAY THE WORST CHAPTER IN FF HISTORY UNTIL IT'S FIXED

Without spoiling, what is this dreaded chapter 13 issue that keeps being brought up?

Fj0823

Its not unfinished in any shape or form, the story is told poorly so they'll just add one cutscene to clarify a certain character's fate.

The gameplay is fine,the game runs well,it has a lot of content and the story has a start, middle and end even if it's messy.

They're just polishing it a bit because it is rough in some areas. Particularly chapter 13 which was very boring and repetitive.

And adding some post game stuff

People are blowing this out of proportion.

This is just SE listening to fan feedback

Without spoiling, what is this dreaded chapter 13 issue that keeps being brought up?

You get forced into using a weapon that plays differently than any of your others, and its a long chapter.

It didnt bother me at all, you should assume that every post you see about FFXV on this board is extreme hyperbole. Look at this thread, filled with posts about "half finished game" when it got 8's and 9's.

It's hard to say without spoiling but something to do with forced stealth/not doing enough damage with your new ability. It however did bother me, but you eventually get back to the usual. It's definitely the lowest point of the game imo.

I think people will be sorely disappointed with the patches. If you don't like the game now, you probably won't like it a year later.

I am just very pissed off. I was happy when i first read the news cause obviously i want them to try and fix the game as best they can. But then i get more and more irritated when i think that a lot of things are half baked in the game, and it didn't need to be launched that way.

Even with patches there is only so much they can do, as the structure of the game as it was launched can't be changed, they can only try and add things around that.

I agree that it should have had more time since it would improve the game but I feel like it doesn't deserve that time. Enough is enough. Over 10 years have passed, it's time to move on. Sure, real development only began 3-4 years ago but that doesn't change perception. When XV got delayed I was almost fed up at that point. I have a lot of respect for these developers but good lord this game's development cycle has been a disaster that refused to end.

I've played 50+ hours of Final Fantasy XV. The game I've gotten doesn't feel incomplete. It's a fun game that has a story that doesn't fully reach it's potential and is the only thing I can say is "half baked".

I want this company to move on and start fresh. I want them to make something new that isn't from material someone else made at the start of the last generation. In the end we got an alright entry in the series amidst some flaws. This game isn't the incomplete failure people keep trying to make it out to be. This game has no right to be good after being in development for a decade, the fact that it is is nothing short of a miracle.

Nerokis

I think people will be sorely disappointed with the patches. If you don't like the game now, you probably won't like it a year later.

Yeah. Perhaps we'll be pleasantly surprised (. . .or disappointed, if you're one of those people who think notably improving the story with patches is an egregious thing), but like I said earlier in the thread, I expect future gameplay and quality of life improvements to be far more impactful to the experience than whatever story stuff they add.

TuXx

You can speak for yourself but not for the other thousand plus post on this thread. There's clearly a minority out there that tries to shit on anyone who even says something remotely positive about this game. Pointing out such a thing isn't "fanboyism".

Inuhanyou

No, not really. FFXV is a special case: a game with a compromised development process, and a game that had a particular impetus (budget, expectations, SE's product pipeline, etc.) to actually be released within a reasonable period of time. The people who think it was "unfinished" are mostly referring to an overall narrative direction that (as far as I can tell) probably couldn't have been fixed with just a little extra time or a handful of additions. The narrative isn't what it is because it was rushed, but because of the conflicted development that it came from. SE put in the time and the money, and FFXV is what they came up with.

In other words, I doubt it's something that reflects SE's larger plans, or whatever. It's a very circumstantial thing.

Have you not seen the previous trailers? Tons of content and cutscenes were fully erased as early this year. That is not a result of pure development difficulties, but SE as a publisher rushing the game to release intentionally despite whatever circumstances the game might be in.

Tabata said himself when they announced the initial release date that SE had already decided on late 2016 as a deadline years ago internally.

They spent 2012 to 2013 creating assets and moving whatever they could over to Luminous from their work on Versus,and so they had maybe 3 years, maybe less, to actually work on 15 itself.

That shows that alteast for this project, SE had no mind other than ship now, maybe patch later despite the scale of the game they were going for, the publisher paid no heed to events on the ground, and that's an issue.

I am hoping KH3 and FF7R are not being looked at in that manner.

It's not unfinished. The second half of the game's story could have used more scenes to help fill things out and give thing more context and impact. As someone who's played it to completion I can say that I had zero issues understanding anything and didn't feel like I missed anything. This update will improve the game to some extent, we have no idea how much because only Tabata and his team know how big this update is (I doubt it'll be that notable).

The game is complete. Whether you like the game is depends on you and I doubt anyone who doesn't like the game will change their mind after this game's updates come to pass.

That shows that alteast for this project, SE had no mind other than ship now, maybe patch later despite the scale of the game they were going for.

I am hoping KH3 and FF7R are not being looked at in that manner.

Can't say I blame them in this case. They know this game's been a mess and they wanted it out the door. Clearly they were willing to delay it to make sure it's a complete game and it has the polish a game would need.

As for KH3 and FF7R. They probably have the same type of internal release windows. Nomura said last year that he knows the release date of KH3 so that could be that. The difference is I believe development for both of those titles will be a lot easier due to the engine, and in FF7R's case the assistance of other studios like CC2.

Epcott

You get forced into using a weapon that plays differently than any of your others, and its a long chapter.

It didnt bother me at all, you should assume that every post you see about FFXV on this board is extreme hyperbole. Look at this thread, filled with posts about "half finished game" when it got 8's and 9's.

Doesn't sound too bad.

It's hard to say without spoiling but something to do with forced stealth/not doing enough damage with your new ability. It however did bother me, but you eventually get back to the usual. It's definitely the lowest point of the game imo.

That sounds bad.

Guess I'll take my time and do the side missions like I've been doing. Hopefully the patch comes soon. If not, I'll just have to endure.

Chapter 13 is split into 2 parts. The first part is the part people have issue with. It lacks many of the mechanics for combat that you've had the entire game and is a much slower paced section. It took me about an hour to get through it and then it was back to business as usual the remainder of the chapter is fine. The game also tries to get you to use stealth in this section but I didn't do it. All it does is waste your time and there isn't anything that challenging to the chapter anyway.

The update, from the sounds of it would make the weapon you have access to in that chapter stronger which would make getting through that place even easier. One of your forms of attack has WAY too much startup so that should be adjusted.

(tried to be as spoiler-free as possible)

Zafir

Chapter 13 is split into 2 parts. The first part is the part people have issue with. It lacks many of the mechanics for combat that you've had the entire game and is a much slower paced section. It took me about an hour to get through it and then it was back to business as usual the remainder of the chapter is fine. The game also tries to get you to use stealth in this section but I didn't do it. All it does is waste your time and there isn't anything that challenging to the chapter anyway.

I mean I don't think the second half of the chapter is particularly fine. It's better, sure, but it's still suffering from issues. Such as not being able to properly run. The silly mash circle QTEs which are overused. The bland and boring dungeon design (which is disappointing when you consider the rest of the game has some of the best dungeon design in the series).

I mean I don't think the second half of the chapter is particularly fine. It's better, sure, but it's still suffering from issues. Such as not being able to properly run. The silly mash circle QTEs which are overused. The bland and boring dungeon design (which is disappointing when you consider the rest of the game has some of the best dungeon design in the series).

When I refer to Part 1 of Chapter 13 I mean everything up until
you reunite with Ignis and Gladio. Took me an hour to get to that point and at that point it takes maybe 5 minutes to find Prompto and get your entire skillset back.

Zafir

When I refer to Part 1 of Chapter 13 I mean everything up until
you reunite with Ignis and Gladio. Took me an hour to get to that point and at that point it takes maybe 5 minutes to find Prompto and get your entire skillset back.

Ah okay.

Thought you were suggesting part 1 was up until
you get your dads sword back.

Took me longer than an hour to get
the characters back
though. Probably almost closer to two, honestly.

Ah okay.

Thought you were suggesting part 1 was up until
you get your dads sword back.

Took me longer than an hour to get
the characters back
though. Probably almost closer to two, honestly.

Ah yeah I get that. I could tell this area could potentially drag so I rushed it. (I did a lot of rolling since it was faster)

Top Bottom