• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV's future updates adjust chapters, add cutscenes, add playable characters, more

pablito

I never really understood the hype surrounding Dragon's dogma combat.

Its fucking stupid and chaotic and the pawn system was dreadful.

Super mediocre game,especially in a post Souls world.

I like the skills in the game. And how skills of other vocations help each other out. Climbing enemies is always fun. Bows users are actually relevant in DD. Magic archer is my shit. Only thing I don't like about DD combat is the regular attack animations sometimes look weak as fuck.

What's your issue with the pawn system?

BBboy20

Are you fucking serious

Stop playing right now people

Do not get up to that chapter until the patch hits

I repeat

DO NOT PLAY THE WORST CHAPTER IN FF HISTORY UNTIL IT'S FIXED
...uh, will those still currently playing be able to get a New Plus playthrough?

Seriously, somebody gotta' put into some insight on why NG+ is not a regular thing in the 21st century.

This is probably related to the future online co-op play
Why would people want to be themselves in this game? I'm surprised at the lack of armor in this game. Is that what they're indication?

Yup. This game was rushed which is a damn shame since it had the potential for to be one of he best FF.
When you're vaporware, not being shit may as well be the expectation (the core gameplay alone feels like something of compromise then something potential).

What a mess.
raw

ViciousDS

Banned
I mean what other open world games are told seriously? I can't think of many. GTA is a parody of American culture. To me, the characters developed in FFXV rather well for a JRPG. Noctis is this lackadaisical prince who has to man up and face his fate as a king. Prompto is kinda shafted with his reveal though. Gladiouls, while a bit one dimensional added dramatic tension to the group while helping Noct grow and earn his respect. Prompto, who basically had to feed and take care of the group becomes a liability yet still continues to fight on.

That's the thing, I don't think the narrative failed because by the end of the journey I cared. By the end of the game I looked back, if a bit confused, and loved it.

It was the execution that failed. Lacking details, important events happening off screen or in the background that hurt it. So if anything failed, it's how it was all presented. It's the same problem I had with FFXIII. Only FFXV payed off when the credits rolled.

Thing about prompto is his reveal is actually really, really good......it's just you have to watch brotherhood to understand it

Laiza

I, for one, support this kind of extensive post-launch support.

On the flip side, I guess it really could have used a longer delay. Heh. Oh, well!

What I'm most curious about is this potential avatar customization feature. CAC in a non-MMO Final Fantasy game? I have to admit, that has potential.

Unfortunately, I am also sure that the potential will be sullied by the way Tabata handles female characters. Assuming female characters are even an option for that.

Every time I hear someone describe this game as "early access", I know that person has never played an early access title in their life.
Congrats on having a different opinion than other people.

Oh Please, Soul's combat doesn't reach Dogma's heels in combat.

The first few seconds of this song is Dark Souls combat in a nutshell
Dragon's Dogma's combat is heavily stat-reliant. Meanwhile an entire Souls game can be beat without leveling up.

Once again, a large reason Dark Souls' combat is so appealing is the ability to learn a fight and dodge every attack. Dragon's Dogma doesn't allow for that. FFXV doesn't allow for that.

Dark Souls' difficulty comes from timing rolls and attacks. Dragon's Dogma's difficulty comes from the level difference between you and the enemy. FFXV's difficulty comes from your dumbass teammates and whether or not you have enough potions and phoenix downs.

Congrats on having a different opinion than other people.

He's not wrong though. This doesn't feel like an "early access" title. It's absolutely ridiculous. Opinions can be wrong, and calling this early access because they want to make improvements is an example of that.

Laiza

Dragon's Dogma's combat is heavily stat-reliant. Meanwhile an entire Souls game can be beat without leveling up.

Once again, a large reason Dark Souls' combat is so appealing is the ability to learn a fight and dodge every attack. Dragon's Dogma doesn't allow for that. FFXV doesn't allow for that.

Dark Souls' difficulty comes from timing rolls and attacks. Dragon's Dogma's difficulty comes from the level difference between you and the enemy. FFXV's difficulty comes from your dumbass teammates and whether or not you have enough potions and phoenix downs.
That's hyperbole. Stats have a heavier influence in Dragon's Dogma than the Souls games do, yes, but that doesn't mean player skill is suddenly completely irrelevant.

You can make up for a lot by playing the game correctly, taking on opponents that the game doesn't expect you to at your level. Moreover, your pawn will reflect your own skill as a player, as they do learn from your actions (perfect blocking in particular is a great example of this).

The game is meant to be a hybrid of character action and a traditional stat-heavy RPG. This shows particularly in how heavy an influence traditional Dungeons & Dragons is, right down to the smallest details of the monster designs. It's the closest thing I've ever played to being able to play a D&D campaign in real-time with decent action combat.

He's not wrong though. This doesn't feel like an "early access" title. It's absolutely ridiculous. Opinions can be wrong, and calling this early access because they want to make improvements is an example of that.
The game feels like an early access title to me because it feels incomplete. The world is empty. The story is ass. The voice acting is ass. Random clips from a movie sold separately are strewn about the game carelessly. There's no context given behind any of the actions taken by any of the characters. Some characters are introduced briefly for like 10 seconds and then the next time they're introduced like 10 hours later, you're expected to know who they are. Most of the game is spent sitting in a car while Ignis drives you to your destination and Prompto insists that you stop to take a picture once every 5 minutes. The game slowly gets worse over time, peaking at Chapter 3 when the world's opened and most players get lost in sidequests that quickly make them far too overpowered for any of the main content to be even remotely difficult. The combat is a mish-mash of incomplete ideas with a camera that functions worse than most games in the genre from the past 10 years.

A complete game gets some bug fixes here and there, maybe some new content, some additional difficulty modifiers... Not complete revisions to the way the story's told because the story in its current iteration is so deeply flawed.

So many people complaining about a good game about to turn even better. Maybe expectations were too high for some people? I just went in blindly and this is my first Final Fantasy so im having a blast. But i can understand the people that have been expecting this for some time. But hey play something else in the meantime?
*So many people complaining about a game you think is good.

LowSignal

I'm just waiting for a PRO patch for the frame skip. All the other adds seems likes it makes it worth me waiting to play this later. It's sitting on my pile of games waiting.

Raiden

Banned
So many people complaining about a good game about to turn even better. Maybe expectations were too high for some people? I just went in blindly and this is my first Final Fantasy so im having a blast. But i can understand the people that have been expecting this for some time. But hey play something else in the meantime?

I didn't think the world was empty, I didn't spend most of the time driving, the gameplay was solid to me with a great combat system and the story scenes are more sporadic due to the nature of the open world design.

This could have been handled better, but many things in many games could've been handled better. I can think of a NUMBER of improvements that would make Uncharted 4 better and if they announced they were patching the game to remove padding and even entire chapters that I felt could've been trimmed down or even removed entirely for example I'd be all for it and would not accuse ND of releasing an early access title.

It's fine that you feel that way, but they're also opinions. A game being a letdown in several ways doesn't make it an early access title. By this logic SO many games are "early access." I didn't get this sensation playing it but I do hope they improve what issues I did have on the matter.

And I did. But parts to me felt rushed; not "early access."

I didn't think the world was empty, I didn't spend most of the time driving, the gameplay was solid to me with a great combat system and the story scenes are more sporadic due to the nature of the open world design.

This could have been handled better, but many things in many games could've been handled better. I can think of a NUMBER of improvements that would make Uncharted 4 better and if they announced they were patching the game to remove padding and even entire chapters that I felt could've been trimmed down or even removed entirely for example I'd be all for it and would not accuse ND of releasing an early access title.

It's fine that you feel that way, but they're also opinions. A game being a letdown in several ways doesn't make it an early access title. By this logic SO many games are "early access." I didn't get this sensation playing it but I do hope they improve what issues I did have on the matter.

And I did. But parts to me felt rushed; not "early access."
So as I said before, we have different opinions.

I feel like I spent $60 on an early access title.

Also, not a fan of Naughty Dog's interactive movies.

Trojan

As long as these changes don't fundamentally change the main narrative arc and are additive, I'm all for a developer making character updates that make the game better. If gameplay improvements are fair game, story tweaks to better flesh things out should be as well.

Disclaimer: I just started the game and want to avoid spoilers so I didn't read all the details, but from my understanding these changes should not fundamentally change the story as it is.

EDIT: people are comparing this to early access? I think that's hyperbole.

Zakalwe

Banned

FFXV's difficulty comes from your dumbass teammates and whether or not you have enough potions and phoenix downs.

Actually, there are very few times you can't dodge an attack in XV. Auto dodge while handle most attacks, and those it can't you can warp or manual roll away from (or even activate a timely tech).

Honestly, if you really think this way about combat you're not doing it right. If other people can make it work a certain way it says it all.

I just started the game

k

Actually, there are very few times you can't dodge an attack in XV. Auto dodge while handle most attacks, and those it can't you can warp or manual roll away from (or even activate a timely tech).

Honestly, if you really think this way about combat you're not doing it right. If other people can make it work a certain way it says it all.
Which consumes MP, where a large number of fights don't have cover or higher ground to warp to in order to replenish it, largely relying on consumables.

And most of the fights in the game have far too many enemies simultaneously attacking, where the shit camera comes into play, preventing you from keeping tabs on all the enemies attacking. Also, all of those enemies simultaneously attacking leaves little to no safe openings for you to fight back, and you're basically on a timer the whole time before the rest of your party's dead, leaving it up to you and eliminating use of the tech bar. And don't even get me started on enemies with ranged attacks, or the existence of decreasing your HP capacity. Or the fact that you're hardly ever really controlling the movement of your own character, and how easily that makes it to fall down in dungeons with any amount of vertical movement, such as a certain waterfall dungeon.

Arkeband

Banned
Early access is honestly giving them too much credit - implying they always meant to add these things and that they haven't, at multiple points in this game's development, relied heavily on feedback and focus testing.

Any vision was compromised by their lack of direction, seemingly multiple rewrites, and a compulsion to leave room for DLC.

Don't say early access, just call it for what it is - a deeply flawed yet beautiful and occasionally fun game. That's what it launched as and that's how it should be remembered until it gets its second true launch on the PC, at which point we can reassess it as a product.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Final Fantasy XV: Lunasistance
A cut for the century.

FFXV: Lunavengance

As long as these changes don't fundamentally change the main narrative arc and are additive, I'm all for a developer making character updates that make the game better. If gameplay improvements are fair game, story tweaks to better flesh things out should be as well.

Disclaimer: I just started the game and want to avoid spoilers so I didn't read all the details, but from my understanding these changes should not fundamentally change the story as it is.

You just started the game. Finish it and you'll understand why people say that.

Adding entire story sections to the game that should have been there in the first place is essentially what they are doing trying to make a complete product out of an incomplete one

Zakalwe

Banned
Early access is honestly giving them too much credit - implying they always meant to add these things and that they haven't, at multiple points in this game's development, relied heavily on feedback and focus testing.

Any vision was compromised by their lack of direction, seemingly multiple rewrites, and a compulsion to leave room for DLC.

Don't say early access, just call it for what it is - a deeply flawed yet beautiful and occasionally fun game. That's what it launched as and that's how it should be remembered until it gets its second true launch on the PC, at which point we can reassess it as a product.

I don't think it's anywhere near "deeply flawed" though, and plenty of others agree.

Incredibly fun game with a disjointed and thin narrative and some pacing issues in the latter half, but otherwise it's absolutely a great experience.

AwShucks

So as I said before, we have different opinions.

I feel like I spent $60 on an early access title.

Also, not a fan of Naughty Dog's interactive movies.

What early access games are you playing? Bad voice acting or not, the game is fully voiced. World is huge and doesnt have random unfinished areas. So many side quests and hunts and gameplay features. Combat, while simple at face value actually has some depth.

Comparing this to early access is a joke. Whether you like the game or not, it's quite beyond an early access game.

Inuhanyou

I don't think it's anywhere near "deeply flawed" though, and plenty of others agree.

Incredibly fun game with a disjointed and thin narrative and some pacing issues in the latter half, but otherwise it's absolutely a great experience.

The game has plenty of significant issues despite the fun your having. That is deeply flawed by definition.

People holding onto the mindset that the game isn't incomplete are basically signalling to SE that they can continue to push their developers into rushing out games without them being finished with huge patches months down the line adding entire story segments within the narrative that were supposed to already be there.

What early access games are you playing? Bad voice acting or not, the game is fully voiced. World is huge and doesnt have random unfinished areas. So many side quests and hunts and gameplay features. Combat, while simple at face value actually has some depth.

Comparing this to early access is a joke. Whether you like the game or not, it's quite beyond an early access game.
Games are fully voiced nowadays. Welcome to 2016 Final Fantasy, enjoy your stay.

I beg to differ, the entire world is unfinished.

Side quests are on par with MMO quests.

Combat is ass.

You're being absolutely absurd.

The game feels like an early access title to me because it feels incomplete. The world is empty. The story is ass. The voice acting is ass. Random clips from a movie sold separately are strewn about the game carelessly. There's no context given behind any of the actions taken by any of the characters. Some characters are introduced briefly for like 10 seconds and then the next time they're introduced like 10 hours later, you're expected to know who they are. Most of the game is spent sitting in a car while Ignis drives you to your destination and Prompto insists that you stop to take a picture once every 5 minutes. The game slowly gets worse over time, peaking at Chapter 3 when the world's opened and most players get lost in sidequests that quickly make them far too overpowered for any of the main content to be even remotely difficult. The combat is a mish-mash of incomplete ideas with a camera that functions worse than most games in the genre from the past 10 years.

A complete game gets some bug fixes here and there, maybe some new content, some additional difficulty modifiers... Not complete revisions to the way the story's told because the story in its current iteration is so deeply flawed.

*So many people complaining about a game you think is good.

You literally have no idea what an early access title is.

Zakalwe

Banned
The game has plenty of significant issues despite the fun your having. That is deeply flawed by definition.

I disagree entirely. The only significant issues are the narrative being ridiculously disjointed and the pacing issues in the latter half. That's literally it.

The rest are refinements that could enhance an otherwise great experience.

If you don't think calling this an early access title is childish hyperbole I don't know what to say.

You literally have no idea what an early access title is.
An early access title is the foundation for a complete game.

That's what FFXV felt like to me.

Dunno why you insist that my opinion is wrong. Both of our opinions can coexist.

If you don't think calling this an early access title is childish hyperbole I don't know what to say.
If you don't think calling this a complete game is childish hyperbole I don't know what to say.

Zakalwe

Banned
An early access title is the foundation for a complete game.

That's what FFXV felt like to me.

Dunno why you insist that my opinion is wrong. Both of our opinions can coexist.

Opinions that are nothing but thoughtless hyperbole are not worth anything to a productive discussion.

The amount of compete, refined, and extremely playable systems and elements in FFXV automatically exclude it from the definition you're trying to use.

If you're just using the hyperbole for flavour text then you're just trolling.

If you don't think calling this a complete game is childish hyperbole I don't know what to say.

I didn't say it was complete. :)

"Incomplete" and "early access" are not synonymous.

Audioboxer

Still hating it a few more hours in. Insanely high production values, but with open world gameplay surpassed by other games. It feels like a by the books open world carcus with shitty quests and collectathon point garbage.

So far I think they should have stuck to a template closer to FF than this open world shit. Yes I know FF13 was slayed for being a corridor simulator, but there exists a middle ground seen in say FF7 through 12! 13 also had a shit story, and so far the story in this seems hot garbage as well.

All of the optional dungeons are incredibly well designed.
I disagree. They're completely linear with random packs of enemies that appear out of thin air, lacking the placement of higher ground to sword warp to for MP and health regen, in cramped as hell rooms that combined with the shit camera make it impossible to keep tabs on all 10 enemies the game's likely to throw at you at once.

You don't introduce sword warping to higher ground as an incredibly important mechanic to the player, and then exclude it from a vast majority of the fights, especially when they take place in a location that if you die, you have to start from the very beginning of that area.

Opinions that are nothing but thoughtless hyperbole are not worth anything to a productive discussion.

The amount of compete, refined, and extremely playable systems and elements in FFXV automatically exclude it from the definition you're trying to use.

If you're just using the hyperbole for flavour text then you're just trolling.

I didn't say it was complete. :)
Dunno why you can't just disagree with me and move on. Calling my opinion childish and on par with trolling is... Well... Childish.

Edit: An early access title is the version before the game is complete. Literally an unfinished game. An incomplete game.

Your definition of early access is wrong.

I wonder those who are complaining and hatin' have actually finished the game.
My opinion regarding the game would actually be worse had I got to Chapter 13.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Wilsongt

can they please release an aspect ratio adjuster? On older model tvs the edges are cut off of the HUD, and there is no way to fix it. I've already looked at ways on my TV to do adjustment are there are none.

Inuhanyou

I disagree entirely. The only significant issues are the narrative being ridiculously disjointed and the pacing issues in the latter half. That's literally it.

The rest are refinements that could enhance an otherwise great experience.

Whether you agree or not has no bearing on the fact that
they have an entire chapter dedicated to just getting mythril to fix a boat via fetch quest, and the timeskip comprises of only 2 chapters of the game and 2 locations(hammer head and then insomnia) after an info dump by Bahumut to try and explain basic plot points that could not be explained in the rest of the game for some reason.

In addition to this, literally everyone else in the entire game falls by the wayside in the game after chapter 10 which generally speaking makes no sense.

Do you see what i'm saying? The narrative itself affects the entire game's structure which is a friggen mess. Saying "the only significant issues are" is basically describing most of the game itself outside of combat and questing.

Implying that people who have completed the game all love it and see no issues to complain about whatsoever?

Zakalwe

Banned
Dunno why you can't just disagree with me and move on. Calling my opinion childish and on par with trolling is... Well... Childish.

Do you understand what the word hyperbole means and why it's childish to use it In a discussion like this, and how detracts from a productive discussion?

You are being childish by saying this game is "early access", it's a thoughtless way to throw out a taunt at a game you seem to want to hate on.

Call it incomplete, reasonably back your opinion up with facts, you're absolutely few to think the game is bad, but cut the hyperbole please.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
My opinion regarding the game would actually be worse had I got to Chapter 13.

I'd respect and understand someone's opinion more if they actually finished the game. People who don't finish the game and complain all the way are like "omg this is the worst game by mankind ever and I'm only an hour in".

Unless of course, the game is unplayable and unbeatable due to insane difficulty spikes.

Otherwise, hyperbole much.

I'd respect and understand someone's opinion more if they actually finished the game. People who don't finish the game and complain all the way are like "omg this is the worst game by mankind ever and I'm only an hour in".

Unless of course, the game is unplayable and unbeatable due to insane difficulty spikes.

Otherwise, hyperbole much.
I quit the game at chapter 8 because the game was getting worse over time, and I heard it only gets worse thereafter.

Zakalwe

Banned
Whether you agree or not has no bearing on the fact that
they have an entire chapter dedicated to just getting mythril to fix a boat via fetch quest, and the timeskip comprises of only 2 chapters of the game and 2 locations(hammer head and then insomnia) after an info dump by Bahumut to try and explain basic plot points that could not be explained in the rest of the game for some reason.

In addition to this, literally everyone else in the entire game falls by the wayside in the game after chapter 10 which generally speaking makes no sense.

Do you see what i'm saying? The narrative itself affects the entire game's structure which is a friggen mess. Saying "the only significant issues are" is basically describing most of the game itself outside of combat and questing.

Yes, the narrative is disjointed and thin. It's a flaw.

The thing is, the narrative is surrounded by the rest of the game which is overal a great experience.

So yes, I disagree that these things affect the game the way you think they do.

I quit the game at chapter 8 because the game was getting worse over time, and I heard it only gets worse thereafter.

So not only are you using ridiculous hyperbole, but you didn't actually play a third of the game?

Right.

ULTROS!

Implying that people who have completed the game all love it and see no issues to complain about whatsoever?

It's more like I'd respect and understand someone's opinion more if they actually finished the game rather than half-assing it and trash it to death.

Personal experience: I used to trash DQ a lot but barely touch them. Now I realized that mistake because I liked DQ (especially V) and I won't trash a game unless I've played it.

Yes, the narrative is disjointed and thin. It's a flaw.

The thing is, the narrative is surrounded by the rest of the game which is overal a great experience.

So yes, I disagree that these things affect the game the way you think they do.
I'd argue that the entire game is structured around the narrative, rather than the narrative just being a single piece you can ignore in order to enjoy the rest. Unskippable dialogue in most places, characters interrupting with dumb prompts to perform an action such as taking a low quality screenshot of some backdrop, long ass unskippable car rides.

You not finishing the game is probably the reason why you feel it's incomplete...
Based on the opinions expressed by others who've finished the game, you're wrong, and I don't have to force myself through the rest of this game in order to know what my stance regarding it is.

There are no gameplay aspects of this game that I enjoy, and the story is shit, so there's nothing motivating me to complete it, especially knowing that the game gets worse over time, eventually reaching Chapter 13.

Don't worry. I understand where you're coming from now. Cheers!
Oh, he didn't complete the game, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'd argue that the entire game is structured around the narrative, rather than the narrative just being a single piece you can ignore in order to enjoy the rest. Unskippable dialogue in most places, characters interrupting with dumb prompts to perform an action such as taking a low quality screenshot of some backdrop, long ass unskippable car rides.

Don't worry. I understand where you're coming from now. Cheers!

TuXx

Based on the opinions expressed by others who've finished the game, you're wrong, and I don't have to force myself through the rest of this game in order to know what my stance regarding it is.

Playing games vicariously through other people's postings is a perfect basis to critique a game. Let's all do this for now on.

RRockman

Banned
Wow, patching both gameplay and story elements so soon after release?

Snark aside, I do hope it works out. This is the first I've seen of a move like this and its very intriguing. I'll gladly get a GOTY or Directors cut version down the line if the majority of these patches do happen.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know if I should be happy about this... I hope we don't get such major changes for FFVIIR. The Vincent and Yuffie Patch for example...

I know traditionally they would make International editions and this is not that different. But still... Part of me just wants them to move on and go full gear into XVI.

Also not that keen on the multiplayer DLC. It will come too late and people won't be interested at that point in time...

Ray Down

Banned
I don't know if I should be happy about this... I hope we don't get such major changes for FFVIIR. The Vincent and Yuffie Patch for example...

I know traditionally they would make International editions and this is not that different. But still... Part of me just wants them to move on and go full gear into XVI.

Also not that keen on the multiplayer DLC. It will come too late and people won't be interested at that point in time...

Some other team in SE most likely are, Tabata team is doing a new IP and XV DLC.

Then patching up XV won't effect 16.

Zakalwe

Banned

"Too late" for what? There are more than enough people who love the game to make future updates like this very successful.

Top Bottom