• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fifa Switch will be reportedly based off the PS3/360 versions

hohoXD123

They know nobody is gonna buy this, right?

Why not? Having the full version of one of the most popular games in Europe on a portable with two controllers is one of the greatest combinations for local multiplayer ever. When I first heard about the Switch, Fifa was the first thing to come to mind. If only EA didn't fuck up.

jax

Banned
on top of being underpowered, a handheld is something western publishers have never taken seriously even when being made by Sony (see PSP and Vita failures in the west).

the Switch will live and die on Nintendo's software only.

Hardly. The third party support will be there. You ignore the vast amount of 3rd party devs for 3DS that will be supporting the Switch.

Xando

To me this is most likely not a "Switch can't handle Frostbite" situation. It's way more likely that EA just doesn't want to put in the investment to make Frostbite work on Switch.
Because it's unlikely to profit them. Even if they ported frostbite i'd bet the switch version would always be the worst selling (probably not even gonna breakeven).

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Anywhere north of like 25m units and Nintendo isn't going to consider that a failure

Seriously? If it sells less than half of what the 3DS sold (which was half of what the DS sold) I seriously doubt you'll see them make another piece of hardware. 25m would be a flop.

I'm not surprised to see FIFA running on last gen engines. Would imagine it'd be difficult to get the PS4/XB1 versions to run on the Switch especially when its undocked so take the path thats easier. If the Switch is a success then they'll go on from there but if its not worth it then no big loss for them.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Hardly. The third party support will be there. You ignore the vast amount of 3rd party devs for 3DS that will be supporting the Switch.

This isnt guaranteed. A lot of them developed for 3DS because it was cheap to dev for and had an established userbase.

Switch has neither of those benefits and at that point if they're gonna make HD games might as well put it on PS4.

Kouriozan

And we joked about the Switch version being Legacy LMAO.
Unprecedented indeed.

Without a real FIFA, this console will struggle to sell as much as the Wii U.

prwxv3

This isnt guaranteed. A lot of them developed for 3DS because it was cheap to dev for and an establishes userbase.

Switch has neither of those benefits and at that point if they're gonna make HD games might as well put it on PS4.

There is also a ton of potential for these Japanese games to expand their sales in asia. Yakuza and FF are posied to do this.

Nintendo don't have this possiblity.

Really, Nintendo. Ask EA to cancel this shit, it only makes Switch looks embarassing. No one in it's sane condition will care to buy this and is probably an excuse for EA to drop support later.

specdot

already reportd in the fifa topic (you know, it has 4 pages...)
I see the hate flows strong againt the switch
Dude. Come on. No one is hating on the thing. Nintendo is dropping an underpowered console, again. Do you think people on Gaf would let that slide?

Well yeah cause those aren't frostbite right

All versions of FIFA 17 are on Frostbite, no? Even if they weren't/aren't, think about it for a second. It wouldn't make sense to spend resources into porting a legacy engine - even if it's just for one game - unless technical hurdles make it the far lesser short-term cost. You'd want the engine you could have the most use for, if needed. Which brings me to my next point:

Can the switch not run frostbite?

I assumed no.

Considering that the Switch SoC is based on contemporary, "desktop-class" (Maxwell or Pascal, take your pick) Nvidia graphics architecture, and Nvidia's software. It may not be as powerful in terms of graphics compute as the other consoles, but it's certainly both modern and proven technology.

The Wii U was a completely different story. It launched with a pre-GCN GPU, and a PPC-based CPU, both whose days were numbered at the time. It also had rather poor tooling from what I've gathered. There were all kinds of technical barriers in getting your engines onto Wii U.

KoopaTheCasual

This isnt guaranteed. A lot of them developed for 3DS because it was cheap to dev for and had an established userbase.

Maybe I misread, but weren't there early reports of the Switch actually being easy to develop for? That would be a big boon for potential support.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Wasn't that obvious when it wasn't a numbered FIFA game?

As soon as I saw FIFA with no 17 or 18, I knew it would be a "Legacy" type edition.

prwxv3

Maybe I misread, but weren't there early reports of the Switch actually being easy to develop for? That would be a big boon for potential support.

General Japanese support should be decent. But easy to develop does not mean it's worth it.

No one should be expecting games like FF7R, FF15, ect though.

#surprise

i already have some flashback on when i played fifa on wii U .
prove me wrong EA , but ..well i'm not holding my breath

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

I mean PS4/XB1 were supposed to be easy to develop for too, being off the shelf PC parts and all but that doesnt mean much.

CEWKlMN.jpg

Wii U's were "sold out" as well.

Don't get Rettboned this March, people!

AmFreak

Considering that the Switch SoC is based on contemporary, "desktop-class" (Maxwell or Pascal, take your pick) Nvidia graphics architecture, and Nvidia's software. It may not be as powerful in terms of graphics compute as the other consoles, but it's certainly both modern and proven technology.

The Wii U was a completely different story. It launched with a pre-GCN GPU, and a PPC-based CPU, both whose days were numbered at the time. It also had rather poor tooling from what I've gathered. There were all kinds of technical barriers in getting your engines onto Wii U.

Only because a hardware meets the min. requirements of an engine doesn't mean a game based on that engine will run on that hardware.
If we take the df specs as the real specs we are looking at a ~160 GFlops machine, with a 1 Ghz Quad A57 (of whom a core might be reserved for the OS), with 4 GB Ram (- some [800?] memory for the OS) and a 25.6GB/s mem bandwidth. This is a machine much closer to last gen than to this one and "up-porting" from last gen will be far easier than down-porting from this gen.
How many "AAA" games that don't have a last-gen version are even announced?
FIFA? - last gen
NBA? - last gen
Skyrim? - last gen

Only game i know of is Steep.

sappyday

Switch will shine because of its first party games.

We all knew this, come on with the crap in this thread.
Then let's hope that'll be enough for it to survive and not end up just like the Wii U. And let's hope they pull out a stronger and more of a line up than the Wii U as well.

Alebrije

Switch will shine because of its first party games.

We all knew this, come on with the crap in this thread.

If you want a Nintendo console that shines for first party games the WiiU is the answer and basically has the same graphics than Switch and is cheaper with no pay online.

So you no need to wait 2-3 years get what you will get on Switch.

Ont

FIFA is very important for any system, as any major sports franchise. After the N64, Nintendo simply decided to ignore this market and proved to be a huge mistake.

EA Sports games on Wii were based on Xbox/Gamecube/PS2 versions. Wii was the best selling console of its generation.

I have Xbox One / PS4 for EA Sports games. Those games are not a reason to buy Switch, unless you want the best portable version of those games.

Top Bottom