• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fifa Switch will be reportedly based off the PS3/360 versions

Those games are not a reason to buy Switch

And that mass market just won't.

Anyway, that's not the issue. The issue is that EA aren't willing to port their big multiplatform in-house engine to Switch. They don't see the platform as important enough. If they don't port it now for FIFA, they're not going to port it for Battlefield, or Star Wars, or Mass Effect.

Looking at this it's really surprising how most of the Switch lineup, and mostly from western 3rd parties, screams "WE HAVE NO CONFIDENCE IN THIS THING!"

They're all low-risk, low-budget, low-effort ports. Save some Japanese exclusives like Xenoblade 2, none of it is actual original AAA-grade material. It's all ported stuff with minimal additions and improvements with the lowest cost imaginable so that in the case the Switch fails, they won't get burned.

Looking at this it's really surprising how most of the Switch lineup, and mostly from western 3rd parties, screams "WE HAVE NO CONFIDENCE IN THIS THING!"

They're all low-risk, low-budget, low-effort ports. Save some Japanese exclusives like Xenoblade 2, none of it is actual original AAA-grade material. It's all ported stuff with minimal additions and improvements with the lowest cost imaginable so that in the case the Switch fails, they won't get burned.

Why would they though? For the past few console gens third party games on Nintendo consoles haven't sold well, even if people put in all the effort in the world, the return isn't there, so quick ports are the safe option. I don't blame publishers for this.

oh, hey, i remember the last custom built fifa

http://www.fifagamenews.com/fifa-world-game/

fifa world
”Brazil and Russia are priority markets for EA Sports and especially our FIFA brand. We are excited to bring to these markets a custom-built, free-to-play PC experience developed around FIFA Ultimate Team" said Matt Bilbey, Senior Vice President and Group General Manager, EA Sports. ”FIFA World will be a fun new way to play FIFA for new fans."

it was a stripped down 360/ps3 port with a f2p monetization scheme

I guess this was expected given the specs. It was either going to be a severely cut-down current-gen game or a last-gen port. Neither option is good.

Dartastic

It means it's based on old gen but tweaked for the Switch.... The original tweet said "based on" not a straight port....
That's what I'm assuming as well, but at the same time they haven't really said much about the game yet. I think it's a good thing that they're already getting a bit of heat for this. Frankly, I always expected graphics to be downgraded due to the nature of the system, but the newer versions of the game essentially upgraded the physics models and basically the entire way the game plays, right? Like, the last gen FIFA games play differently than the current gen ones, right? I'm having a hard time finding lists of detailed differences between the two, outside of there being no "Journey" mode.

To me this is most likely not a "Switch can't handle Frostbite" situation. It's way more likely that EA just doesn't want to put in the investment to make Frostbite work on Switch.
you can put any engine on basically anything, but taht doesnt mean every game for that engine is going to run on any hardware. Maybe EA looked at it and saw that maybe they could get FIFA running on switch frostbite, but couldnt get Mass Effect, Battlefield, Dragon Age, etc running and couldnt justify the cost of porting the whole engine for limited possible games

Kouriozan

Xenoblade is 1st party though.

TunaLover

No one is willing to test waters yet.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think it's interesting that Peter Moore cared enough about Fifa on Switch to tweet that, it's already a plus compared to Wii U.

I think custom made and social means that it will be more focused towards local/LAN MP, to benefit from Switch's features in this area.

You have to remember that every game on Switch has to run well on the lowest configuration: handheld mode at 720p (160 Gflops).

That's fairly similar to WiiU configuration -> similar to PS3/X360

EA Sports games on Wii were based on Xbox/Gamecube/PS2 versions. Wii was the best selling console of its generation.

I have Xbox One / PS4 for EA Sports games. Those games are not a reason to buy Switch, unless you want the best portable version of those games.

EA Sports games were fine at start, before EA took the disastrous idea to change the aesthetics to feel more like Wii Sports/Mii with the All-Play bullshit. That scared away the audience from it.

During the SNES/N64 days, Nintendo had a solid sports userbase. They even had their own sports line-up like Kobe Bryant's NBA Courtside and Ken Griffey's Baseball. This was dropped after Iwata took the office and shut down the western gaming division.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
So is this thing completely boned on franchises that have stopped "cross gen" ports? That is almost every western non-sports series at this point.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
You have to remember that every game on Switch has to run well on the lowest configuration: handheld mode at 720p (160 Gflops).

That's fairly similar to WiiU configuration -> similar to PS3/X360

If it's running similar to PS360 in handheld mode it should look pretty good (at 1080p) when docked. Fifa is not really pushing any boundaries in terms of graphics yet anyhow.

And in handheld mode it will look crisp as is renders at native resolution.

So is this thing completely boned on franchises that have stopped "cross gen" ports? That is almost every western non-sports series at this point.

It also gets an NBA 2k, so it's not all over.

If it's running similar to PS360 in handheld mode it should look pretty good (at 1080p) when docked. Fifa is not really pushing any boundaries in terms of graphics yet anyhow.

Of course, when docked it would run great @1080p/60. With last gen graphics though

I think for NBA 2k18 it will be the same...

I love how it had to be pointed out that those versions are still even made. Like you have to know you fucked up when most people probably think that game isn't even made for that system anymore. What a clusterfuck.

Lux R7

This a new type of retro gaming.

rdlol.gif

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Of course, when docked it would run great @1080p/60. With last gen graphics though

I think for NBA 2k18 it will be the same...

I think the big question here is if they will miss features. Nobody cares that much for a little bit of poorer lighting, but if they miss modes then it would be much worse.

Well, remote play from PS4 to Vita is a better solution in that case :)

If you have a perfect connection, sure.

The people who want to play FIFA and CoD already have PS4s and gave up on Nintendo a long time ago. Ever since the Gamecube, 3rd party support for the system has been subpar. It's just not worth the time for EA to spend on making a great FIFA port. The marginal sales that they would get over this half assed port is minimal.

zelas

If you want a Nintendo console that shines for first party games the WiiU is the answer and basically has the same graphics than Switch and is cheaper with no pay online.

So you no need to wait 2-3 years get what you will get on Switch.
Yep and we also saw how well not working with third parties turned out then too.

So, then, we can go ahead and count EA out from this system already?

Freaking cyclical reasoning...

"Nintendo fans don't buy our
gimped
games, so we won't give them any games, so Nintendo fans don't buy our
gimped
games.

Well if it's considered "legacy" like the vita shit was, it didn't even update the gameplay. It would literally just be a roster update and nothing else was changed but still $40 each year.

ok but the other user was asking about game modes.... I hope it's a complete game at least...

burst

People who love FIFA were not waiting for the Nintendo switch to come out. This is a nice token of support which probably didn't cost much to produce and might sell ok.

Switch will shine because of its first party games.

We all knew this, come on with the crap in this thread.

The only strong first party game at launch is a Wii U port, then in 2017 the other big first party games are Splatoon 2 and Mario , Nintendo first party has completely drop the ball on this one

Well all of those thousands upon thousands of preorders purely for fifa are gonna be cancelled then.

In all seriousness, this has been a troubling day for Nintendo and anyone who gives a shit about them. Making all the same mistakes as wii u all over again. Nothing learned..

People who love FIFA were not waiting for the Nintendo switch to come out. This is a nice token of support which probably didn't cost much to produce and might sell ok.

This. Who would buy a Switch just play Fifa?
But I am worried about third party support for this...

Top Bottom