• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 22-28 | On the Xrd Day of Christmas

gutabo

ibhN3F6VYsG9Hb.gif

K.Sabot

Are you guys sure that site counts the current viewers and not the total, like NicoNico does? Anyway, still an awesome number

In my experience using Douyu for watching chinese dota 2 pros, it's current viewers. The personal streams for those players regularly get 100k+ viewers. There's a kof streamer right now that has 6k viewers.

China's big.

Are you guys sure that site counts the current viewers and not the total, like NicoNico does? Anyway, still an awesome number

When I was watching for about 20 minutes, I made sure to see if the number didn't just get larger, otherwise I would think it would be total viewers and not concurrent viewers. The number did decrease though. It went from 425k to 430k to 350k.

K.Sabot

You can almost be sure that Douyu fake their numbers, it's something that various industry people have speculated about for a while now. The site constantly has similar amounts of viewers for just one person streaming LoL/DotA.

Yeah that was my first assumption, but does every stream do it? Is it simply built into the site to inflate numbers? A bunch of the personal streams seem pretty legit with the amount of donations they get.

Tizoc

Gah OP Musou 3 on Steam made me forget to post this week's haul, will get it done later today :V

KoF97 being in China is...wow. I mean I knew there were some high level matches of it but damn...

TGMIII

Yeah that was my first assumption, but does every stream do it? Is it simply built into the site to inflate numbers? A bunch of the personal streams seem pretty legit with the amount of donations they get.

I'd assume they directly inflate the numbers for certain events/streamers to lure in unsuspecting sponsors/investors. Based off of statistics out there approximately half of the Chinese population have access to internet and from website statistics, which are never 100%, twitch gets much much more traffic than Douyu. For example, a dota player called YYF had around 700K watching his stream when the peak concurrent players for dota was 900K for that day. Highly unlikely that the number was legit.

That's possible too.

The chances of even half that 500k number being legit is slim to none. There's been times where the total viewers on one douyu steam has been more than the total viewing every twitch stream combined.

K.Sabot

Some of the numbers aren't completely unbelievable because China > US populations by a factor of 5.

PC gaming in China is worth about 6-7 billion dollars now according to estimates from this year. ArcLive, china's GGPO type platform is incredibly popular compared to GGPO (it's also hilariously shady because they let you download the ROMs there too). I wouldn't put it past China for breaking current FGC stream records, but not by that much so quickly.

Malice215

Sooooooooooooooooo Douyu x fighting games happened

The Chinese esports boom finally hit the arcades. 500,000 concurrent viewers watching KoF 97.

I'm not surprised by this. I'm surprised that KOF 97 is poppin like that because that's my least favorite version of KOF.

The people who get the spotlight are the ones that rarely post. FGC-GAF logic always confounds me. Anywho, any tournaments coming up soon?

Frosty Faustings, KiT, Canada Cup Master Series, Apex 2015. Tourney season is not that far away.

They started doing that this year unless I'm mistaken. No other tournaments I've seen have replicated that and its sad, such a failed opportunity at maintaining viewers.

They've been doing that since IPW started streaming it which is great, but then it's not so great when you see the same CVS2 clip over and over again.

And doing something like streaming other games during intermissions requires additional logistics which I've only seen Level Up able to do when they've streaming UFGT. But I'll take anything instead of dead air.

thehadou

Neo Member
Great title choice, Enzo.

That interview, though. Loves charge attacks, combo breakers, and bursts? It could be the unholy trinity if not for TACs.

I am a metalhead. I can get down on being an unholy trinity. We'll need to replace bursts though. I'm actually not huge on bursts / shadow counters / on-block activation safety mechanics.

TAC's are terrible.

thehadou

Neo Member
Frosty Faustings, KiT, Canada Cup Master Series, Apex 2015.

All of these events look very strong this year. Faustings is pushing to be a larger regional, KIT was extremely well run last year according to picky attendees, Apex is in what could be a banner transition year, and the Master Series is a promise of strong matches.

Should be a good, and varied, Q1 for tourneys.

I am a metalhead. I can get down on being an unholy trinity. We'll need to replace bursts though. I'm actually not huge on bursts / shadow counters / on-block activation safety mechanics.

TAC's are terrible.
Isn't the Injustice system basically a less thoughtful burst? :p

thehadou

Neo Member
Isn't the Injustice system basically a less thoughtful burst? :p

In some aspects yes, but not outright. Meter burning an attack for instance to activate a 2 hit vs 1 hit offensive move doesn't ensure safety, and creates its own mini mind game (this is particularly true on batarangs).

I'm not incredibly deep in my anime play but I've been finding bursts to be a get-off-me or X-factor / Instinct safety mechanic. Meter burning in injustice isn't used that way to me (mainly because clashing covers that).

I'm losing track of days because holy shit I forgot there was a new thread and was confused when I saw everyone voting for titles

so you're saying you forgot to get me anything for christmas, huh

well I guess I'll be keeping this stocking stuffer, sending it right back to Amazon

Shouta

How can you forget what day of the week? I mean really, football was yesterday! That should be the hint that it's Sunday.

Malice215

All of these events look very strong this year. Faustings is pushing to be a larger regional, KIT was extremely well run last year according to picky attendees, Apex is in what could be a banner transition year, and the Master Series is a promise of strong matches.

Should be a good, and varied, Q1 for tourneys.

I'm looking forward to Faustings because I want to see some Xrd and UNIEL play. KiT ran extremely well last year so it's good to see them continue to grow and cover more games. I know people who went last year and they had a great time. I wish I could go but it's tough to take off work at the beginning of the year.

Apex will be fine on the Smash side of things. I don't know what to expect from Master Series. There hasn't been much advertising for it and it's supposed to take place pretty soon, but January is pretty stacked. There's also Winter Brawl in February, Final Round in March, and somewhere in between we should know what the EVO lineup is and what Capcom's plans are for the next season of Capcom Pro Tour.

And outside of the creepiness, Last Man Standing was entertaining to watch on Saturday. It's good to see NYC with an event like that, and they should be running another one before Winter Brawl happens.

thehadou

Neo Member
I'm looking forward to Faustings because I want to see some Xrd and UNIEL play....

...There's also Winter Brawl in February, Final Round in March, and somewhere in between we should know what the EVO lineup is and what Capcom's plans are for the next season of Capcom Pro Tour.

The guy's in charge of Faustings are really trying to grow the event and its presentation this year, and the GG history under the Faustings brand has always been very, very sound. I'm looking forward to it (and for more than just the annual Faust whooping given out).

CapCup this year is ludicrously interesting. I'm very interested to see which of the rumored contractions / expansions take place.

Top Bottom