• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 29 - Jan 4 | 2015: An Esports Odyssey

Arc Sys games in general are about giving as many universal options for both Offensive and Defensive as they can without going over the line. This way they can make crazy ass characters without worrying too much about other characters not being able to do stuff.

This. Remember Satou et Ruu in AC with their shitty low tier chars beating people with universal mechanics. <3

bobohoro

Smash is probably the simplest fighter out there unless you want to drop to Dive Kick levels of simplicity. IMO, the best way to learn isn't to pick the easy game, though. Pick the game that:
1) You are passionate about.
2) Has a supportive community to help you.
3) Has good resources.

xrd has a pretty good tutorial, but with most games, a lot of the information comes from the dedicated forums eg (dustloop, srk, zaibatsu, etc). But yea I would just go with w/e you like, since imo sf4 would be the easiest to get into but you don't like it.

Thanks. Yeah already thought it was something along those lines. Will try Blazblue one more time then and get CP if I get into it, else try Persona. Definitely looking to get into Xrd when it hits Europe, especially if I have a PS4 by that time.

Thanks. Yeah already thought it was something along those lines. Will try Blazblue one more time then and get CP if I get into it, else try Persona. Definitely looking to get into Xrd when it hits Europe, especially if I have a PS4 by that time.

The newest iteration of Dead or Alive comes out in February. Unless you're absolutely against 3-d fighters, it has very easily understandable controls and mechanics and is fun at its highest levels. It also has boobs.

Arc Sys games in general are about giving as many universal options for both Offensive and Defensive as they can without going over the line. This way they can make crazy ass characters without worrying too much about other characters not being able to do stuff.

Busting is just one of many. You never explained why you think it's bad. Because it has the potential to reset the match back into neutral?
I don't think combo breakers are good mechanics in general, because they tend to favor a particular kind of character. I am never keen on mechanics that happen without any reactive visual cue. If there were some kind of reactive visualization to play mind games with on both sides, it could be interesting as a game mechanic. Otherwise it is just guessing on both sides - no better than a TAC.

Xrd is region-free, right? You could always import.

4r5

jDJpfq0.jpg

4r5

People react to GG Blue Burst (the combo breaker burst) all the time. Once you can do your combos in your sleep, all your doing is looking for the burst.

Blue Burst is 18F startup. If you can block Millia 6K, you can jumpcancel/romancancel your combo and block/throw/recombo a burst.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
People react to GG Blue Burst (the combo breaker burst) all the time. Once you can do your combos in your sleep, all your doing is looking for the burst.

Blue Burst is 18F startup. If you can block Millia 6K, you can jumpcancel/romancancel your combo and block/throw/recombo a burst.

Yup, burst are completely reactable at high level.

Onemic

95% of people cant block that shit :p

And isn't what you're talking about more of a read than a reaction to the blue burst startup?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Well I guess you can't call it the "fighting" game community unless people are fighting. -=gootecks laugh=-

Papstr

Neo Member

And isn't what you're talking about more of a read than a reaction to the blue burst startup?
For me personally it's a bit of both. After a while you sort of just know people's burst habits and/or the points where people want to or tend to burst. With that in mind, it's a lot easier to react to it because you are actively looking for it.

WarRock

Fuck...and there isn't really any other fighters I'm big enough into to watch streams of other than Smash these days. I dig Blaz Blue, Guilty Gear and still enjoy playing several others but I just don't get much out of watching them for some reason.

In a fighting game rut here... I miss tag fighters.

Run a netplay tournament of Chou Climax Heroes, tag groove only, through emulators :V

4r5

Millia can do a lot of things besides 6K, which is what makes 6K hard to react to.

But once you hit someone, it's 99% single player from then on. If something happens that you didn't do, then it can only be a burst and you react accordingly. Character familiarity plays a large part in to your ability to reaction punish bursts. Ex: FAB.

For the rest of us, just randomly RC your combo, or intentionally drop it.

I got Xrd. Thoughts on Sin Kiske? I don't wanna play Xrd Millia

They seemed to of err on the strong side of things, when they made the console chars. I wouldn't be surprised if nerfs came as they get introduced to arcade.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Every time Sin hits me I sorta sigh a little and salute the half of my lifebar I lost.

Is the sigh from wondering why the fuck you got hit by something of his in the first place? :p

That's how I feel when I get anti aired by his overhead slam LOL

Papstr

Neo Member
It's a combination of "I'm an idiot, why'd that hit me " and "oh god it hurts so much. " "That's where my sidewinder loops went! "

Kimosabae

Banned
You don't even have to react to Blue Burst with experience (and it's generally not even expected for one to react to it). After playing good players after awhile, you'll recognize the key points in areas players want to Burst in your BNB combo. That's where the meta begins. Certain mind-states produce different types of reactions to Burst-able combos.

Just hit somebody with a retarded mixup one right after the other and you sense frustration? Expect a Burst after two hits. Baiting those are extra satisfying. Make the second hit of your combo something less than 18 frames (like 5P, or j. P) while holding back.

Just landed a hit. Where on the screen are we? How much meter do I have? What round is it? What does my opponent know about my character? What's his current mind state?

These are meta-analyses engaged by the conception of Burst and are hardly relatable to something as stupid as TACs.

rookiejet

Man, you GG vets scare the shit out of me :3

I think reducing blockstun so as to allow more chances of interrupts could probably make offense less relentlesss. That would probably change the structure of existing combos and hinder accessibility, so maybe you add an input buffer... and you're back to square one.

You can reduce block stun quite a bit. Tap back ;)

But honestly one of the major things to learn in GG is when to FD and what moves you can just defend easy for counters.

On top of that Blitz shield fucks over a lot of really telegraphed attacks that are not being covered by something else.

True. I've yet to utilize the game's defensive options fully, so I'm not complaining just yet ;)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Man, you GG vets scare the shit out of me :3

I think reducing blockstun so as to allow more chances of interrupts could probably make offense less relentlesss. That would probably change the structure of existing combos and hinder accessibility, so maybe you add an input buffer... and you're back to square one.

You can reduce block stun quite a bit. Tap back ;)

But honestly one of the major things to learn in GG is when to FD and what moves you can just defend easy for counters.

On top of that Blitz shield fucks over a lot of really telegraphed attacks that are not being covered by something else.

For instance, if you are fighting a ky throwing out stun dippers like crazy you can block the first hit *if he did it sorta close* and just blitz shield the second and go to town on his ass

Papstr

Neo Member
I found it kind of funny they took away Sol's super basic combo paths and gave him Ragna style combos.
I don't miss sidewinder really. Sure his midscreen damage was more insane because of it, and it made wild throw more scary due to the damage potential, but I much prefer the more traditional combos now. Too much pressure not to drop it in tournament, and I dropped a lot in tournament which forfeits knockdown and puts Sol in a pretty bad position.

Tripon

It still baffles me that this is the case. It's like the dev team are living in 2005.

"We need that casual money"

"But there's like a million games out there that cater to hardcore players and make bank"

"But the CASUALS man"
Brawl continued to sell through 2014 and has to date sold 12 million copies. Say what you want about how the mechanics of Brawl makes it a worse game, but focusing on making sure casual play can be had is not the wrong move.

Hardcore games are inheritly niche by definition, which is why I understand why companies, especially large companies who are targeting large demographics in order to make back its budget and profit from the game.

I wished Smash 4 did some things differently, namely more offensive options and limited air dodge, but its still a fantastic game in its own right and can be a competitive fighter if allowed to.

Now let me turn off stage hazards Samurai. <-<

Nyoro SF

I could've sworn I typed this two years or so ago, but I'll do it again...

The sales of Melee and Brawl had absolutely nothing to do with how casual and hardcore they were.

They sold purely based on hype and interest like nearly all games on the market.

FSLink

Banned

The sales of Melee and Brawl had absolutely nothing to do with how casual and hardcore they were.

They sold purely based on hype and interest like nearly all games on the market.

Thank you for this.

Had a ft10 exhibition in the dead game called UMvC3 against one of the Hawaii players here the other day, was pretty amusingly hype despite both of us being rusty after not playing it for months.

In a couple days, taking vacation back home to Vegas for a few weeks so I'll probably check out the scenes for Ultra SF4, Smash, and GGXrd while I'm around.

sikvod00

Banned
All this GG talk makes me sad Xrd isn't on PC :/ At this point I don't even necessarily care about fighting other players online, I'm just interesting in going full training mode on a GG game and learning the mechanics and messing around with different characters. X2 #reload and Isuka are available on steam. No point, I'm guessing?

Azure J

Not talking about this thread, but I see alot on GAF (and the internet in general), people want to argue, not discuss. Not think about other viewpoints, but just prove their own. People want to "win" or be "right" too much. Not just talk about stuff. That's why I love the internet for the most part, hearing other people's viewpoints and why they think that way.

But I digress.

Yeah, it's a part of net culture at this point really. It's also the reason why a lot of things get blown way out of proportion when a simple acknowledgement of the other side's points would be more than enough to move things along.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Not talking about this thread, but I see alot on GAF (and the internet in general), people want to argue, not discuss. Not think about other viewpoints, but just prove their own. People want to "win" or be "right" too much. Not just talk about stuff. That's why I love the internet for the most part, hearing other people's viewpoints and why they think that way.

But I digress.
Karst said it a while back; people are more interested in protecting their own perspectives.

I'm guilty of it too. So now I mostly play
non-fighting
games instead of arguing. Works out pretty well IMO.

alstein

All this GG talk makes me sad Xrd isn't on PC :/ At this point I don't even necessarily care about fighting other players online, I'm just interesting in going full training mode on a GG game and learning the mechanics and messing around with different characters. X2 #reload and Isuka are available on steam. No point, I'm guessing?

If you want mechanics and messing around, it's good enough for those purposes, at least reload.

mbpm1

Yeah, it's a part of net culture at this point really. It's also the reason why a lot of things get blown way out of proportion when a simple acknowledgement of the other side's points would be more than enough to move things along.

RIP Dahbomb

Nyoro SF

Have no fear, I am confident that Xrd will come to PC.

I just got my TE2, so I need to take it home and see if my PC recognizes it or if I have to download some drivers to make it work.

Tripon

Eh, it wasn't another melee vs. Brawl argument but more of a Nintendo did make the right decision trying to target a large demographic for this series. Now the choices to get there...

Onemic

Damn, that's too bad =/

I'm looking for a ps4/ps3 stick, since I'll buy a ps4 in the near future, are there any others?

Theres the MadCatz stick though I'm not sure when it comes out.

The Kuro's are manageable....Just not that good. They don't get stuck though, but depending on how unlucky you are with the condition your buttons come in, one or more of them may begin to have a very slight wedged in feel to them. Sorta like if a small piece of food got in between the button and the rim. The squeaking is also up to how unlucky you are with the condition of your buttons.

Pretty much, the Kuro's main problem is you're essentially going to the lottery in terms of the condition of your buttons. You may get a set with no problems whatsoever, or you may get a set with the two problems I mentioned above. You could be like me and just replace all the buttons with Gamerfingers, which ends you up with a gdlk stick.

Infinite

Single handedly the reason why character design discussions tend to be not fun around these parts. Remember, if I don't like a thing that means it's pandering to something else.

xCobalt

Theres the MadCatz stick though I'm not sure when it comes out.

The Kuro's are manageable....Just not that good. They don't get stuck though, but depending on how unlucky you are with the condition your buttons come in, one or more of them may begin to have a very slight wedged in feel to them. Sorta like if a small piece of food got in between the button and the rim. The squeaking is also up to how unlucky you are with the condition of your buttons.

Pretty much, the Kuro's main problem is you're essentially going to the lottery in terms of the condition of your buttons. You may get a set with no problems whatsoever, or you may get a set with the two problems I mentioned above. You could be like me and just replace all the buttons with Gamerfingers, which ends you up with a gdlk stick.

I think that's what I'm planning to do. Buy the HRAP 4 and use buttons from my old stick.

Top Bottom