• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 29 - Jan 4 | 2015: An Esports Odyssey

Village

I thought we had two different types, anime and ANIMAYYYY. I was referring to the latter.

Its all the same man. Different art styles and artistic conventions aside, its all art from japan.

Its just what you consider quality, hell I don't even think anime is a good label. Because anime is just Japanese animation, and the style of Japanese animation isn't exclusive to japan and hasn't been for decades. there are whole seasons of American cartoons animated by studios that usually do eastern stuff. I'm not talking about like korra either, i'm talking about shit like tiny toons. Rewatch tiny toons, its you may have not noticed it then, you can not miss the episodes ( and the movie I think ) done by an eastern studio. Before I get into this rant, it not even anime, its just japanese art man.

Kalamari

Anime has such a loose definition in fighting games and the FGC that it has encompassed everything and everyone.

K.Sabot

XRD really needs to kick afks from lobby, or at least do it quicker if they already do.

something like 1/2 of every lobby are peeps sitting in it with the chair icon that means they're away.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
XRD really needs to kick afks from lobby, or at least do it quicker if they already do.

something like 1/2 of every lobby are peeps sitting in it with the chair icon that means they're away.

Doesnt the chair come up if you are in other modes as well?

Host can kick anyone.

Also, nerdjosh had a room up and streaming last night.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
L of the year is definitely Daigo. Destroyed at EVO and once again at Capcom Cup. The whole universe was counting on you and you let Rice Eater down.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Its all the same man. Different art styles and artistic conventions aside, its all art from japan.

Its just what you consider quality, hell I don't even think anime is a good label. Because anime is just Japanese animation, and the style of Japanese animation isn't exclusive to japan and hasn't been for decades. there are whole seasons of American cartoons animated by studios that usually do eastern stuff. I'm not talking about like korra either, i'm talking about shit like tiny toons. Rewatch tiny toons, its you may have not noticed it then, you can not miss the episodes ( and the movie I think ) done by an eastern studio. Before I get into this rant, it not even anime, its just japanese art man.

I can only imagine how you feel when people call anime chinese cartoons to troll.

UMVC3 is as ANIMAAAAAAY as you can get 'cept it's "superheroes."

It doesn't involve hot-blooded idol action so its not ANIMAAAAAAY, unless if you count sister sister as some odd deformation of it.

Oh project M, how I missed you on the Xanadu weekly rotation.
http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp

Time to get in my boxers and watch.

CO_Andy

L of the year is definitely Daigo. Destroyed at EVO and once again at Capcom Cup. The whole universe was counting on you and you let Rice Eater down.
Makes me wonder if the Japanese players will forego their honor and counterpick now that a massive wad of Americano money is dangling over them.

Seyavesh

it ain't anime until a little girl or boy is fighti-
5MLvezF.png

fffff

pixelish

Makes me wonder if the Japanese players will forego their honor and counterpick now that a massive wad of Americano money is dangling over them.

well...

Ryan Hart @RyanJosephHart · Dec 30
Ryan:Bonchan, Sagat sucks, change character.
Bchan:No, he is good!
Daigo: Next year is 500k!
Bchan: I'm changing character
ALL: Looooooool

xezuru

Wish I had spent more time while I had it this holiday on Xrd.
I'm starting from zero on the series competitive wise but I'm really loving the things this game gives you to learn and the general playstyles and freedom within its ruleset.
Still no idea who to main, but I've just been going on and off things like story mode and random trials after the tutorial to get random amount of points to unlock sin.

Same thing with Juri. I find this game suffers from people just wanting easy characters and not on what could help them best.

i mean hell, i don't think anyone here doesn't do a double take when they come across a chun li with 1500+ BP or has some concern in the back of their mind

I can't even deny that every time FGCNN posts a new article it's the best part of my day.

#noshame

Also I have to constantly remind myself that Gootecks is not in fact dating Max's sis

he isn't right.......?

Only Luffy and Momochi won more money than him in tournaments. He won $21k at the topanga tournaments.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I can't even deny that every time FGCNN posts a new article it's the best part of my day.

#noshame

Also I have to constantly remind myself that Gootecks is not in fact dating Max's sis

he isn't right.......?

lol, gossip aside, max is a great guy and posts here when he can. I don't know if he'll feel comfortable with us talking about his sister's personal life on an fg thread.

Rhapsody

Banned
After all this Xrd playing, I might just use Potemkin and Ky in tourneys when I go to an Xrd one.

Still working on Zato, but not satisfied where I'm currently at with him.

One of my better characters, but I haven't labbed with him as much as I should have in this version.

I thought AnnelFrank's commentary for Persona in NEC recently was good. Mike Z is good. I really liked Xie and Dacidbro's BlazBlue commentary in Evo (I hope they get to do it for Xrd next year). Jyosua with the right co-commentator is also okay.
That's maybe about the same number of people I like for the Capcom stuff.

Link?

Rhapsody

Banned
I think I might get back into UNIEL again while playing Xrd. I used to be good (ok/decent) at this game.

Then I started using Nanase instead of Eltnum, and then I stopped going to tourneys. lol

You're being too hard on him Kadey. I think he had a good year, won 2 Topanga's and qualified for Capcom Cup. He'll rebound next year. Dat 500k will finally make Daigo use his final form.

Man I really hate Nico. I've gotten kicked 3 times already. Had to refresh to get back in. This isn't a PPV, why can't people just watch it without interruption?

You're being too hard on him Kadey. I think he had a good year, won 2 Topanga's and qualified for Capcom Cup. He'll rebound next year. Dat 500k will finally make Daigo use his final form.

Man I really hate Nico. I've gotten kicked 3 times already. Had to refresh to get back in. This isn't a PPV, why can't people just watch it without interruption?

He actually had one of the best years for a player, but Topanga League is pay per view, so it's not as observable to most of the US audience like Evo and CC is. In that sense he's out of the spotlight compared to Snake Eyez, Pepedai, etc...

His 2/3 tournament performances were awful this year though. Long set tournaments were completely free to him this year.

I've only been kicked out twice in an hour. Nico is random like that.

That's very true, he doesn't get much credit for Topanga because almost nobody in the US or the rest of the world can watch it. They know the results, but they don't get to see him play which does take away from it. As for his 2/3 performances, I wouldn't say it was awful, it's just that the expectations for him are so high and honestly it's unfair to always expect him to win or be in GF. I think he competed in 6 of them and won 3 which is pretty good. Of the 3 he lost, one was EVO which nobody can really be blamed for not winning. If he competed more, his resume would have definitely looked better but he didn't. But I'm guessing that will finally change this year with the increased prize pot for Capcom Cup.

And just out of curiosity, do you speak Japanese KidA Seven? It seems like you're always on top of a lot of Japanese related stuff nowadays? Kind of like how USD use to be.

Lost to Tonpy Viper

A couple of top players showed up to the event. They are the best hope for the stream monsters to win a prize.

Top Bottom