• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 20-26 | I Can't Believe It's Not A Fighting Game

Beckx

DEATH™;98437670 said:
Just a question, but if I wanna make a custom cab, what kind of display should I buy? I wanna have a bigger display but im kinda scared of monitor lag...

(Yes I got too many dream projects, most of them stay in my dreams till I finally get that paypuh, and that won't come from tournament prize money I tell you that lol)

Assuming you need a 32 inch monitor (like that Xtension arcade cab or a Vewlix clone like the Kraylix), the Samsung UN32EH4003 was top of the reasonably priced group as of last summer at around 26ms of lag. (16ms = one frame)

Sets may have come out since then that are faster/better, but I love mine. If I ever get a customized tate cab for shmups, I'd buy another, no question.

Check displaylag.com to see other options.

Dahbomb

Tekken Revolution reaches 2.5 million downloads in 6 months, will be holding giveaways, etc. to celebrate.

Really impressive. I wonder what Core Fighters and KI will do in that same time, Without a doubt KI is over a million at this point.
2.5 million downloads for a F2P game isn't that much. I mean it really matters if you got a lot of revenue out of the downloads (ie. whales).

Although since Tekken Revolution is basically a re-use of the TTT2 engine... any money they make off of it is gravy for them.

Infinite

2.5 million downloads for a F2P game isn't that much. I mean it really matters if you got a lot of revenue out of the downloads (ie. whales).

Although since Tekken Revolution is basically a re-use of the TTT2 engine... any money they make off of it is gravy for them.

It's only for ps3 though.

I'm guessing Street Fighter lost viewers because it was late? Maybe if they tweak the schedule a bit for Sunday, it would work in Street Fighter's favor. Nonetheless, Melee and Marvel are still beasts. It won't be easy for USFIV to hit the highest viewership, even if it's the newest game.

I'm a believer that a hype Grand Finals will continue drawing in thousands of viewers to watch that match and only that match. We saw that with Melee and Marvel, AE on the other hand had another boring GF where the eventual champ won rather easily. We haven't had a great SF4 finals that went wire to wire since the first one in 2009.

AE actually peaked when Infiltration switched to Hakan against PR Rog and everybody in the crowd started going nuts. And that was to see who would move on to losers finals only. That would only further prove that point if anything.

xCobalt

Viewership wise it was Marvel > Smash > Street Fighter last year, right?

I'm guessing Street Fighter lost viewers because it was late? Maybe if they tweak the schedule a bit for Sunday, it would work in Street Fighter's favor. Nonetheless, Melee and Marvel are still beasts. It won't be easy for USFIV to hit the highest viewership, even if it's the newest game.

I think it would be difficult to schedule. What timeslot would you place the game with the most international presence and still accommodate all the viewers around the world?

Kalamari

4wF6fVI.jpg

2025 EVO champion.

Rotanibor

Rebel Up at Super Arcade is today! Here is what Numakie and I are running today:
stream: http://www.twitch.tv/numakie

stream schedule:
4:30pm PST/7:30pm EST: Acceleration of Suguri X-Edition
6:30pm PST/9:30pm EST: Vampire Savior
8:30pm PST/11:30pm EST: Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code
10~11pm PST: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Heritage For the Future (top 4~ shown during Melty)

Kumubou

I remember Harada mentioning somewhere that the average play session is about two and a half hours. That's kind of nuts (and honestly it seems a bit high), but I think we can get some idea of how successful the game is from that.

You get five free games per day off the bat, and they regenerate every 30 minutes. So in this play session, you'll have 10 free games. Here's the thing: you can play about 15-20 games of TRevo an hour (the matchmaking is pretty damn fast, thankfully). So in the average session, you're seeing about 35-50 games. Tokens go for $5 for 30 of them (16.66_ cents per token), but you get the token back if you win (or if the opponent disconnects). The total winrate is going to be 50% for obvious reasons. It's probably around 49.99% because of draws, and it may actually be higher due disconnects if it gives both players a win, but still.

So out of that you have roughly 10 free games, 12-20 paid games which are won and 12-20 paid games where they lose. So they're making somewhere between $2 and $3.33 per average session. The other half of the problem here is what does their daily active userbase (DAU) look like? Let's assume that 1% of the people who have downloaded it are still active (this is roughly in line with other F2P games) -- so that would put it at 25,000 DAU. From that, you would roughly make $50,000 to $80,000 a day -- or $18,250,000 to $29,200,000 in gross. That doesn't include anything like PSN fees (30% off the top, roughly) or server maintenance or development costs. The net minus PSN fees comes out roughly between $12,775,000 and $20,440,000. That's roughly the same take as a $60 retail game moving about 850k to 1.3M units (you sell a lot more gross, but you don't see nearly as much -- it's roughly what, 25% of retail that a developer-publisher sees).

I'll be honest, here: the low end seems high, but that would explain why more and more publishers are moving to a free-to-pay model. Yikes. D: I know personally I have around 1,000 games played in TRevo
and I've spent nothing on the game, heh

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
SOS for Twitch mods. Chat is fucking up on my end and i can't do anything.

http://www.twitch.tv/sixfortyfive

Pls help if I've modded you in the past.

I just got on to see that fraudulent win for Noel with Dark Phoenix mashing, I guess the chat problems must be gone because I don't see anything wrong.

Time for Marvel.

passively waiting

http://www.twitch.tv/iplaywinner

local shop opened up. fchamp, hoodaman, xsk is there.

Oh what now, man I hate when there's no Marvel, and then there's Marvel all at the same time.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Rebel Up at Super Arcade is today! Here is what Numakie and I are running today:
stream: http://www.twitch.tv/numakie

stream schedule:
4:30pm PST/7:30pm EST: Acceleration of Suguri X-Edition
6:30pm PST/9:30pm EST: Vampire Savior
8:30pm PST/11:30pm EST: Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code
10~11pm PST: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Heritage For the Future (top 4~ shown during Melty)

Cool. I'll be sure to tune in for melty

casperOne

Even though some corporate types would just rather chuck everything else, you're pissing away a large portion of the player base (for example, roughly half the people that enter a tournament at Evo are NOT playing SF4 or MvC3).

I would argue this isn't completely true. Of the 3,538 unique participants in Evo 2013, 1,171 weren't competing in UMvC3 or SSF4AE.

While "roughly half" is open to interpretation, I feel that it's an overestimation (it's 33.10% of people, 1/3).

KiT venue looks pretty spacious

I like it a lot. Looks like it's an outdoor structure, but spacious, and I'd say temperature isn't going to be a problem down there (reminds me of the first CEO event, IIRC).

DEATH™;98437670 said:
Just a question, but if I wanna make a custom cab, what kind of display should I buy? I wanna have a bigger display but im kinda scared of monitor lag...

(Yes I got too many dream projects, most of them stay in my dreams till I finally get that paypuh, and that won't come from tournament prize money I tell you that lol)

Take a look at http://displaylag.com, the database is quite extensive.

---

LI Joe posted this to Twitter. I assume this is a possible venue space for ECT 2014:

Be260UqCcAAGNVw.jpg:large

Looks huge compared to the ballroom for the last three ECTs, which would be great.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
OMG. So Art is streaming and he went outside for an e-cig. Cops walked by and told him it's banned. They checked his records, something popped up and they took him in. His stream is still running right now. Henry is talking about the incident on it.

OMG. So Art is streaming and he went outside for an e-cig. Cops walked by and told him it's banned. They checked his records, something popped up and they took him in. His stream is still running right now. Henry is talking about the incident on it.

I thought smoking inside was banned.

wat

#freeart

Kumubou

I saw this on stream and I'm not sure (and I'm still not sure) that this is a deep troll or something. Yikes. D:

braves01

Banned

Oh. Did he get in their face about it or something? Doesn't seem like a situation where cops would need to know his name let alone check his record.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
What the fuck.

Oh fuck.

Art no :(

Infinite

It's the end of the month so they just want to meet their quota. Fucking bullshit collar right there

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
You can't even smoke e-cigs outside in NY?

Better yet, why would something like that need record checking? That's ridiculous.

kirblar

You can't even smoke e-cigs outside in NY?

Better yet, why would something like that need record checking? That's ridiculous.
Because local authorities use the police to generate revenue. Coming back from Atlanta, passed through a town in NC where there were about 10 cops on a bridge with radar guns calling down plate numbers to cars a mile down the road- saw 4-5 people pulled over. Complete joke.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Wow, Bloomberg's even more of an ignorant **** than we thought. #freeart :( (Insert any expletive you desire in the blank.)

Because local authorities use the police to generate revenue. Coming back from Atlanta, passed through a town in NC where there were about 10 cops on a bridge with radar guns calling down plate numbers to cars a mile down the road- saw 4-5 people pulled over. Complete joke.

Oh wow, I missed your post when I made mine - that is crazy.

To get brought in for something like that to miss real criminals out there, unbelievable.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
You guys should know by now that NY cops are known for being assholes. It's a Saturday night and they are just looking to pick on people. Just hope they don't keep him for the rest of the weekend of even night.

Top Bottom