• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 20-26 | I Can't Believe It's Not A Fighting Game

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Great job FGC, despite the horrible start to 2014, you all did something good and saved Art with the power of social media.

CurlyW

Lots of fodder for titles this week.

Kokonoe banned
AGE disbanned
Arturo arrested (but not at all)
Markman's safety advice
Xian dropped
REO calling out PL

Sayah

Tekken Revolution reaches 2.5 million downloads in 6 months, will be holding giveaways, etc. to celebrate.

Really impressive. I wonder what Core Fighters and KI will do in that same time, Without a doubt KI is over a million at this point.

According to Harada, it's even higher.

https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/426754269975302144

I don't really play Revolution, though, especially when TTT2 is there. I'm interested in knowing how DoA5U did in comparison.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Trying to get into the Dark Souls PvP community after having a FGC mentality for so long is weird because bitching about "cheap" tactics is way more acceptable. The mentality for PvE in that game is like the exact opposite so maybe adding that competitive human element changes the psychology somehow.

Getting so many messages about being cheap is a little jarring, but basically, if you leave yourself open to backstabs all the time and don't know how to defend against it, immagonna just backstab you over and over if that's the path of least resistance, just like I'd throw you over and over in SF4 if you don't know how to tech. At the end of the day I'm doing you a favor anyway, since repetition like that is the best for learning.

There are obviously certain things in that game that are frowned upon for good reason, though. Like healing during obvious 1v1 duels and such. I know the mentality can't be 100% like fighting games since its a much different kind of game, even if it is surprisingly like fighting games in some ways (Dark Souls footsies!), but maybe I am going at with too much of a fighting game mindset and the problem is me after all. I don't know.

Anyone have similar experiences playing a different genre of competitive games after playing fighting games for so long?

Omega

Banned
Trying to get into the Dark Souls PvP community after having a FGC mentality for so long is weird because bitching about "cheap" tactics is way more acceptable. The mentality for PvE in that game is like the exact opposite so maybe adding that competitive human element changes the psychology somehow.

Getting so many messages about being cheap is a little jarring, but basically, if you leave yourself open to backstabs all the time and don't know how to defend against it, immagonna just backstab you over and over if that's the path of least resistance, just like I'd throw you over and over in SF4 if you don't know how to tech. At the end of the day I'm doing you a favor anyway, since repetition like that is the best for learning.

There are obviously certain things in that game that are frowned upon for good reason, though. Like healing during obvious 1v1 duels and such. I know the mentality can't be 100% like fighting games since its a much different kind of game, even if it is surprisingly like fighting games in some ways (Dark Souls footsies!), but maybe I am going at with too much of a fighting game mindset and the problem is me after all. I don't know.

Anyone have similar experiences playing a different genre of competitive games after playing fighting games for so long?

you get this in fighting games too

people who have this honor code for video games. who cares. keep backstabbing them and then teabag them

if you're too stupid to learn from your own mistakes that not my fault.

According to Harada, it's even higher.

https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/426754269975302144

I don't really play Revolution, though, especially when TTT2 is there. I'm interested in knowing how DoA5U did in comparison.

I don't know the last time it was updated, but the official has core fighters at over 700K downloads. They barely even advertised it, so I'm not surprised it's that low compared to TR. The day it was released it was buried on the bottom of the store page for the game and there wasn't anything about it on the front page of the store either.

Jazz-ism

Banned

fighting game mentality is amazing because it carries over into just about anything else competitive really well. games, sports w/e

K.Sabot

Dragon Nest PVP
it has its own unofficial blacklist that near everyone follows. It basically plays like a 3d fighting game.

Thanks for watching.

It'll be a while before we can tear down, pack up, get dinner, then unpack at the hotel and give that a try. Good thing I'm not needed for anything tomorrow.

Only managed to catch the past five-ish hours, but liked what I saw. Some of those later matches were great.

How long were you streaming today?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
http://www.twitch.tv/ifcyipes

Yipes' overlays got a massive nerf following the start of this new EMP era.

I don't know the last time it was updated, but the official has core fighters at over 700K downloads. They barely even advertised it, so I'm not surprised it's that low compared to TR. The day it was released it was buried on the bottom of the store page for the game and there wasn't anything about it on the front page of the store either.
Most of the advertising is probably through Sony/PSN.

how do you defend against it? i'm free to backstabs.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Sometimes people should just take some time off to think about what they've done wrong. Then perhaps maybe things could be better.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I thought the entire point of Dark Souls PVP is to be cheap

Straight up fights look boring as hell

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
how do you defend against it? i'm free to backstabs.

Don't leave yourself open by swinging wildly without thought. Especially if you're using a heavier weapon that can be more easily whiff punished. Also, learn how to execute the different types of backstabs (roll bs, pivot bs, etc) and you'll learn their weaknesses too.

Otherwise, I enjoy Dark Souls mostly for PvE and not PvP so I'm not good at PvP and I'm probably not the best person to give out much PvP advice, but this post on reddit about PvP is pretty good, I think.

Backstabs are too good though. Especially with shitty netcode. Glad it's getting nerfed in Dark Souls 2.
I thought the entire point of Dark Souls PVP is to be cheap

Straight up fights look boring as hell

Yeah they are. I much prefer the all-out, no-holds-barred shit like the forest, or just invading random places that aren't big 1v1 hotspots. Taking advantage of all the options the game gives you is much more fun, but 1v1 duels in the township or wherever are nice every now and again.

Top Bottom