• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 3-9 | Getting Put On Blast

Dahbomb

how is that meta game? That is inside the game. Meta game is mr allcaps yelling in your ear, dude
The meta game term as it relates to video games is taken from card games where you would change your deck around to counter the most powerful deck in a certain tournament or against a certain player. In this case the meta game is changing your team in Marvel to counter MorriDoom/ChrisG.

Another usage of meta game is a game inside the game. The objective of Marvel 3 the game is to deplete the life bars of all 3 characters of your opponent. MorriDoom is a game inside Marvel 3 that you need a specific strategy or team to beat otherwise you lose that game.

Even when you take the term of meta game as something outside the game.... you know ChrisG the player is going to use MorriDoom. That's his strategy and you can play against his playstyle of keeping away by playing some gimmick team of Dorm/Morrigan/Phoenix. This team really counters ChrisG's style and mentality... not his team because it has Vergil on it at the back. It's a psychological thing.
Chris G won NCR. Don't quite see what could happen at any time during a tournament changes anything or even helps you try to make a valid point.

In that instance I'll give Senor Taxi all the props deserved for using that combination to defeat Chris G but like I said didn't stop him from winning the whole damn thing.

And if this is the answer Marvel 3 players seek then everybody needs a pocket Chris + Jam Session every time Chris G does something.

If you guys can keep Jean from going dark you'll figure out some uniform way to deal with this.
I don't know why Kirblar keeps pointing out Senor Taxi... that amounts to a fluke and ChrisG is hardly ever going to lose against Chris vs Jam Session. What he WILL lose to is Zero + Vergil and some top tier anti air assist which people have been theorizing for a long time now. Only now have Zero players come to the caliber where they can compete with the gods.

You asked for an end game strategy that is stronger than MorriDoom.. there already is one and it revolves around Zero aka the best character in the game aka The Fair and Balanced One AKA Coin Flip God. Let me refer you to exhibit A, B and C:

ChrisG vs Flocker (Zero/Vergil/Strider) Match#1
ChrisG vs Flocker GF (Zero/Vergil/Strider
ChrisG vs Flux GF (Zero/Vergil/Dante)

Now keep this in mind that Zero players have stated on record that Morrigan is one of Zero's" worst match ups". I don't deny this but can you really say that these players are "out playing" ChrisG by performing those kind of perfects on him? Can you really say Flux is a better player than ChrisG? The bottom line is that Zero is a dumb retarded character but he is the opposite spectrum of dumb as compared to MorriganDoom. One strat involves stuffing the opponents options and harassing them with lots of projectiles... something that can be overcome by smart play and something that requires consistent execution and resources to keep it up. And on the other side there is the strat of getting a stray near full screen hit or a coin flip at mid screen converting into a TOD which leads into a 4-5 layers deep mix up any of which leading into another character and yet another 4-5 layer mix up... no XF required, no extra meter required, no TACs required and does not matter if its off a throw or a cr.L/j.L.

The end game of UMVC3 is not Morrigan, its Zero with Vergil and a god tier anti air assist. Zero is the best point character in the game and Vergil is the best anchor plus he provides Zero with a way to combo off of throws. God tier anti air assists include Missiles, Jam Session and Vajra all of which Zero benefits from. A top Zero player is essentially going to just learn these 2 characters plus those 3 assist characters to defeat just about everything in the game. The whole MorriDoom situation is similar to the Spiral trap in MVC2, scary at first and dominant for a long time but soon people realize that rushdown is a superior strat. And in this game rushdown is way more powerful and easier to execute than in MVC2.

kick51

Banned
Any Amount 2 averted

The meta game term as it relates to video games is taken from card games where you would change your deck around to counter the most powerful deck in a certain tournament or against a certain player. In this case the meta game is changing your team in Marvel to counter MorriDoom/ChrisG.

Another usage of meta game is a game inside the game. The objective of Marvel 3 the game is to deplete the life bars of all 3 characters of your opponent. MorriDoom is a game inside Marvel 3 that you need a specific strategy or team to beat otherwise you lose that game.

Even when you take the term of meta game as something outside the game.... you know ChrisG the player is going to use MorriDoom. That's his strategy and you can play against his playstyle of keeping away by playing some gimmick team of Dorm/Morrigan/Phoenix. This team really counters ChrisG's style and mentality... not his team because it has Vergil on it at the back. It's a psychological thing.

i see. i was using natural language definitions

kirblar

Metagame strategy is something like "I know everyone is playing MetaKnight. I know that ZSS has a terrible matchup against a lot of characters, but actually has a slight edge over MK. So I'm going to pick ZSS because I know I won't have to risk those other matchups."

Of course, it gets way more complicated than that normally. FGs differ from TCGs because of the muscle memory/practice needed - switching characters/teams is much more difficult.

Dahbomb

Magneto infinite is old and not that hard to do at all. Plus takes a long ass time to kill. ChrisG performing that infinite gives the other player more chances to win against him by awarding him with more meter. Him doing that against Justin Wong will allow Storm more Hailstorms to kill off Doom as an assist and gain a huge advantage.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I am thoroughly enjoying these two RR teams right now. Both of these guys are going HAM.

EDIT: YO THESE HAWKEYE CONFIRMS AND HAPPY BIRTHDAYS GOD FUCKING DAMN

def sim

So Chris G's new tech is that he hast he Mags infinite down?

Or is this a new infinite or something?

He doesn't have anything new other than having better execution. He also did the Doom infinite, IIRC, and that's not something he could do consistently before.

So Chris G's new tech is that he hast he Mags infinite down?

Or is this a new infinite or something?

He had some dirty setups into the infinite, a few variations on it, and a separate version to use on Sentinel. And he didn't seem to have any trouble getting stuff done with Mags on point.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I respect this Hawkeye so damn much. That Spritzer or w/e it's called (lightning arrow) mid Happy Birthday going was GODLIKE.

SO MANY GODDAMN TRAPS

LMFAO @ THE TWO TRAPS AT ONCE HAHAHAHAHA

I don't know why Kirblar keeps pointing out Senor Taxi... that amounts to a fluke and ChrisG is hardly ever going to lose against Chris vs Jam Session. What he WILL lose to is Zero + Vergil and some top tier anti air assist which people have been theorizing for a long time now. Only now have Zero players come to the caliber where they can compete with the gods.

You asked for an end game strategy that is stronger than MorriDoom.. there already is one and it revolves around Zero aka the best character in the game aka The Fair and Balanced One AKA Coin Flip God. Let me refer you to exhibit A, B and C:

ChrisG vs Flocker (Zero/Vergil/Strider) Match#1
ChrisG vs Flocker GF (Zero/Vergil/Strider
ChrisG vs Flux GF (Zero/Vergil/Dante)

Now keep this in mind that Zero players have stated on record that Morrigan is one of Zero's" worst match ups". I don't deny this but can you really say that these players are "out playing" ChrisG by performing those kind of perfects on him? Can you really say Flux is a better player than ChrisG? The bottom line is that Zero is a dumb retarded character but he is the opposite spectrum of dumb as compared to MorriganDoom. One strat involves stuffing the opponents options and harassing them with lots of projectiles... something that can be overcome by smart play and something that requires consistent execution and resources to keep it up. And on the other side there is the strat of getting a stray near full screen hit or a coin flip at mid screen converting into a TOD which leads into a 4-5 layers deep mix up any of which leading into another character and yet another 4-5 layer mix up... no XF required, no extra meter required, no TACs required and does not matter if its off a throw or a cr.L/j.L.

The end game of UMVC3 is not Morrigan, its Zero with Vergil and a god tier anti air assist. Zero is the best point character in the game and Vergil is the best anchor plus he provides Zero with a way to combo off of throws. God tier anti air assists include Missiles, Jam Session and Vajra all of which Zero benefits from. A top Zero player is essentially going to just learn these 2 characters plus those 3 assist characters to defeat just about everything in the game. The whole MorriDoom situation is similar to the Spiral trap in MVC2, scary at first and dominant for a long time but soon people realize that rushdown is a superior strat. And in this game rushdown is way more powerful and easier to execute than in MVC2.

This is all I was asking for. Y'all got the game and gone. I'll go back to my old man seat and continue to watch. A bit more closely to this metagame thanks to this wonderful back and forth this evening.

Might be some hope yet!

Dahbomb

This is all I was asking for. Y'all got the game and gone. I'll go back to my old man seat and continue to watch. A bit more closely to this metagame thanks to this wonderful back and forth this evening.

Might be some hope yet!
Players aren't at the level where theory is written in stone... they will fuck up, they will get hit by dive kicks/foot dives/pipe and they will get bopped by some X factor character like Super Skrull. This is especially true in high stakes matches, ChrisG is especially not immune. You will see interesting stuff at EVO.. guaranteed.

I am just talking about where the game is headed if the top players wanted to pick the cheapest stuff. Like if Justin Wong picked up Zero/Vergil it would like the good ol' days of MVC2.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yo that rocks set up was just dumb.

He just told Vergil to hold all of this pressure. Punisher's set ups are so damn impressive.

EDIT: Doesn't Iron Fist have two low rekkas, not one? Been a while since I played him.

Dahbomb

Iron Fist forever bottom 5 character in the game.

If this Trish loses to Iron Fist 1v1 then I am throwing my massive theory fighter book out the window.

Yo that rocks set up was just dumb.

He just told Vergil to hold all of this pressure. Punisher's set ups are so damn impressive.

EDIT: Doesn't Iron Fist have two low rekkas, not one? Been a while since I played him.

Just one. His only other low is c.H I believe

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Okay, I would've gotten hit by that Burrow + Super. KBrad was mindfucked even though the cinematic side changed.

His launcher hits low too... which is a move you should never ever use with IF anyway.
Great for gimmicky frame trap.

LordJim

It's funny how Hank Pym slapping his wife once while being extremely mentally distressed is referenced as his great 'sin' more often than creating goddamn Ultron.

Meanwhile, other Avengers have blown up countries.

Dahbomb

Iron Fist not having a good low is one of the dumbest things in the game. Its dumb because all the characters without a fast low are ones with an extremely fast high. Iron Fist's overhead is that slow ass Crescent Heel move.

Iron Fist is a pure assist character in the game.

Clawww

Iron Fist not having a good low is one of the dumbest things in the game. Its dumb because all the characters without a fast low are ones with an extremely fast high. Iron Fist's overhead is that slow ass Crescent Heel move.

Iron Fist is a pure assist character in the game.

it's honestly fucking sad to me how bad he is

Top Bottom