• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 3-9 | Getting Put On Blast

Beckx

Those people are ridiculous.

Probably, but a dramatically slower adoption rate than prior cycles and continued "meh" sales for big MovieGames is not.

I think the biggest hurdle Sony & MS have is not all this stuff we've heard the last few weeks, but rather that it's hard to show Joe Public a big difference in "at a glance" quality. (Obviously, enthusiasts see & know.)

Dahbomb

I do too. People are salivating over the prospect over a true next gen of consoles and they have their money saved up. The consoles will fly off shelves.. it's just a matter of which will sell more.

As far as fighters on PC go... fighters haven't gain proper traction on the PC yet because they don't usually get released day and date with the console versions. Even then, most TOs play on console standard because that's where most of the fighting games are as well as the install base. Until these two factors change, fighters will be on console primarily. Logistically speaking it's easier to carry around and hook up a console than it is to carry around PCs. The whole "plug and play" element is why fighters are better suited to consoles.

That is until you start stripping away the plug and play functionality of consoles with bull shit DRMs making the logistics around console fighters more frustrating for TOs. Worse is when you start restricting offline play, that is a very shitty slippery slope that the Xbox has made its stance firm on. JUST the fact that PS4 is not online required is going to make it the tournament standard, DRMs or no DRMs.

Mumei

I haven't been watching many tournaments the last few months. Anything must-see? I'd appreciate links to Twitch or Youtube channels if you can.

When you can't practice Marvel 4 or Super Street Fighter Mega Neo Ultra: Japanese Arcade Sensei Edition on your Xbox One or PS4 offline I can promise that you won't be as happy.
Except Sony explicitly said that they never, ever require you to connect online.

I also said nothing about my personal happiness. I said that a crash is not coming. The games I value and love are doing better than ever, and their business models allow for profitability in small budgets. I am also 100% happy with the Wii U and its future offerings. 160 hours into MH3U.

Beckx

Guys what if Wii U was the future of fighting games

Before the Wii U launch, in the Great Bayonetta 2 Thread, Opiate theorized a future where the Wii U became the haven for mid-budget games, especially for Japanese publishers. Bad sales haven't helped that, but it's certainly a future i'd be okay with. They really have to get their heads out of their asses on digital storefronts, but I like my Wii U.

Probably, but a dramatically slower adoption rate than prior cycles and continued "meh" sales for big MovieGames is not.

I think the biggest hurdle Sony & MS have is not all this stuff we've heard the last few weeks, but rather that it's hard to show Joe Public a big difference in "at a glance" quality. (Obviously, enthusiasts see & know.)
I want movie games to die a horrible and painful death. If that's a "crash" to people, then put the peddle to the floor so the accident ensures no survivors. Those "games" are a disease.

Ghazi

Except Sony explicitly said that they never, ever require you to connect online.

I also said nothing about my personal happiness. I said that a crash is not coming. The games I value and love are doing better than ever, and their business models allow for profitability in small budgets. I am also 100% happy with the Wii U and its future offerings. 160 hours into MH3U.

I thought they said they'd leave always on/DRM in general to the publisher, so if they have (or decide to) to do it on the One then they can do it on the PS4. Though that probably won't be an issue for Fighting Games. I agree with what you've said afterward, but honestly if the PS4 didn't look so damn good as of now I could see people expecting a crash. Also, MH3U is so badass, I've decided to pick it up for my 3DS soon. Even though I have a Wii U I think I'd enjoy it more on the go.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Before the Wii U launch, in the Great Bayonetta 2 Thread, Opiate theorized a future where the Wii U became the haven for mid-budget games, especially for Japanese publishers.

I think people said the same thing about the Wii since the PS2 was still being supported.

the PC is already the best platform for fighting games all-around, though. It has more quality titles with better playing experiences, it just happens that all those games were made before 1999.

Watch it be "optional" and all devs require you to connect online.
Sony's current policy is the same, and it's not a problem. Big publishers like EA will abuse it, just like this gen. But they have been on my shit list for years already, so I don't care what they do.

Under Sony's policy, only the companies that I would never buy from can screw me over. I'm okay with that, because I don't mind giving publishers a chance to show their colors. The only company I love that took a dump on fans this gen is Capcom, and that's why I go out of my way to return the favor and dump on SFxT.

alstein

Watch it be "optional" and all devs require you to connect online.

I don't think we'll have to worry about this with fighting games.

1) It would screw over tournies, and most devs/publishers would know that not being a tourney fighter would hurt sales.

2) Are many Japanese consoles even hooked to the internet?

3) Most fighters come from smaller devs who won't want to risk pissing us off.

Personally, I do think a console crash, if you define consoles as traditional PS3/Xbox , could come, but there won't be a software crash. The games will still do well, but on different platforms. This is why diversification is going to be important, but I worry Japanese devs won't do this and will be stubborn.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Which GG are they playing I thought the new one just got announced. They're just playing an older one to prepare for the new one?

GGAC is picking up steam, they are playing to get ready for ACR

Though ACR getting pushed back is pretty funny. The release is going to be right next to BBCP from the looks of things. Which is a major fuck up.

Hasn't that always been the Arcsys MO on all their releases? They always seem to mistime or have some problem with localization, which can further the gap between regions, and even places like Europe has had unfortunate mishaps where they couldn't get P4A in a timely manner. Doesn't their new versions of Blazblue also pretty much miss tournament season every time?

On another note, I would love to see Arcsys take another shot at making another Hard Corps. It was really well made and it would be amazing if they tried it with the GGXrd style.

Dahbomb

FChamp's Dorm has reached true next level status. Has not lost against Vergil with Vajra even once since I tuned in. He is up 6-0 in 3/5 sets against Drew Grimey. And this mind you is a team completely comprised of characters that on paper can wreck Dorm.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Hasn't that always been the Arcsys MO on all their releases? They always seem to mistime or have some problem with localization, which can further the gap between regions, and even places like Europe has had unfortunate mishaps where they couldn't get P4A in a timely manner. Doesn't their new versions of Blazblue also pretty much miss tournament season every time?

On another note, I would love to see Arcsys take another shot at making another Hard Corps. It was really well made and it would be amazing if they tried it with the GGXrd style.

I would love a new Hard Corps.

Also what happens with most Arc games is that they hit consoles then a new arcade version comes out 6 months later, now honestly in the states this really shouldnt mean jack shit. But people see the videos and just dont feel like playing an older version anymore even though they have no access to the newest one. The time between release versions tends to be a year apart for both arcade and console, with a 6 month inbetween for console ports.

Top Bottom