• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 11-17 | Sticks and Stones Break Zangief's Bones

Git gud, homes.

4jQ1M.png

Compbros

Mk has too many causals. They don't enter tournament. That's why even though it sells a lot its tournament base is comparatively small. Also IMO most Mk fanbase buy the game for story mode. Once they beat it they move on.

SFIV sold collectively much more than MK9 and it's still "comparatively small". It's roughly 1 in 3,000 that enter SFIV compared to sales.

Edit: Casuals make up the vast, VAST majority of sales for the more mainstream fighters (SF, MK, Tekken). They sell millions and if a tournament gets a couple thousand it's considered amazing. It's not limited to MK.

Kumubou

There was at least one other data point for Evo entries: Markman commented on Twitter that T7 entries are already ahead of what TTT2 drew last year. I'm on mobile, so no link. I would expect T7 to be one of the smaller draws (given Tekken's history in the US and it's pre-release status), so that makes me think every tourney at Evo this year is going to be stupidly large.

SFIV sold collectively much more than MK9 and it's still "comparatively small". It's roughly 1 in 3,000 that enter SFIV compared to sales.

Edit: Casuals make up the vast, VAST majority of sales for the more mainstream fighters (SF, MK, Tekken). They sell millions and if a tournament gets a couple thousand it's considered amazing.
Those numbers are not going to scale linearly -- it's pretty common that as a pool of users increases, the average person in that pool is going to be less dedicated. Besides, nothing will compare to the undefined ratios GGXX/ and MBAA managed with their tournament entries and sales numbers in the US.

There's nothing wrong with it; it's just a different market.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
What the hell's up with the thefts? Spooky constantly getting his stuff nabbed, Markman getting his car broken into and now this.

I don't think it is a coincidence that people are starting to see twitch as a sustainable revenue source and now going after streaming equipment :(

pixelish

Microsoft announces that Combo Breaker is getting $10k pot bonus and CEO is getting a $15k pot bonus for KI.

So $75k is going to three big tournaments (EVO, CB and CEO).

http://www.microsoftstudiosblog.com/killer-instinct-community-fund-raises-100000-for-tournaments/

The biggest fighting game event in the world, this year’s Killer Instinct tournament at EVO will have a minimum $50,000 prize pool divided amongst the top 32 players.
best thing about the news tbh. someone finally realised that the prize distribution is too top heavy.

Also, IIRC, the biggest pot at EVO this year is currently KI. Kind of crazy. GB should be trying to get good at that game and get sponsored. :p

SF has the same $50k bonus, except it's already confirmed for $60k due to 1k players being confirmed already. It will most likely end up at $70k.

.la1n

Also, IIRC, the biggest pot at EVO this year is currently KI. Kind of crazy. GB should be trying to get good at that game and get sponsored. :p

I am not so secretly glad people ignored the game because it makes my chances at EVO that much better. Top 32 pay out too? So good.

People have been saying capcom should be putting stuff in the UI/front end for promoting events or whatever else for a long time. Its so damn obvious. Look at the mobas or sports games. Devs already do this connection. I wish capcom and namco would do more of it and get with the times.

I remember when I tried to teach Xian how to play Gen and he was all like, "That doesn't work".

Some people are just so ungrateful. You win EVO one time and you can't listen to the community anymore.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Im just glad I perfected Poongko back in sf4 before he played Seth. When I found out way later that was him it made me feel like I probably had a tiny impact on using him xD

like 1%

Shouta

I think one of the Smash games taking up main stage on Sat night would be good. I know Sunday is important at Evo but Sat is great and we just don't have that much time to get everything done.

Ideal Sunday schedule for me would be GGXrd, Tekken 7, MKX, Smash 4 or Melee, and USF4.

I'd love Persona on Sunday but lol that's not happening. =(

AAK

Man I remember how much pre-release hype there was for TTT2 because it was a tag game.

And it was well warranted. Fighting Games will probably never have a game as technical and massive as TTT2 ever again. I am so fortunate to have been gaming in this time frame to experience what might be the most ambitious fighter to probably ever be released.

kirblar

I think one of the Smash games taking up main stage on Sat night would be good. I know Sunday is important at Evo but Sat is great and we just don't have that much time to get everything done.

Ideal Sunday schedule for me would be GGXrd, Tekken 7, MKX, Smash 4 or Melee, and USF4.

I'd love Persona on Sunday but lol that's not happening. =(
They definitely need to be split. Melee would likely to go saturday, if only because the Ryu reveal would probably be best to sandwich between Smash 4 and USF4.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Holy fuck, Rolento is broken in my eyes. His pressure is crazy if you have meter, ex knifes is so dumb, looks like a frame trap.

Haunts are you reading this?

Haunts is always lurking and reading this thread, he says it time and time again when he's on stream and NeoGAF is mentioned. I'm pretty sure Shouta knows but decides to say nothing cause FGC-GAF Illuminati.

Microsoft announces that Combo Breaker is getting $10k pot bonus and CEO is getting a $15k pot bonus for KI.

So $75k is going to three big tournaments (EVO, CB and CEO).

http://www.microsoftstudiosblog.com/killer-instinct-community-fund-raises-100000-for-tournaments/

When is season 2 coming out? I wanna buy it already on PC lol

Marvel can be just as hype on Saturday.

I don't know, Sunday has that air of hype in it. Its the last day, people are tired and looking for something nuts and Mahvel is there to quench it.

It's 772. As long you jump diagonally you can get low flight. You're probably jumping too late.

I was getting pretty low just wasn't sure if that was the correct way or not. Thanks for the help. Played a little more last night and got the timing on the J6D down finally. I was doing things too fast since I am used to that in GG. Really enjoying the character so far I love the range of his attacks. Just need to work on my 66C timing after certain moves.

Sayad

I don't think it is a coincidence that people are starting to see twitch as a sustainable revenue source and now going after streaming equipment :(
I think it's more that people are realizing how expensive a proper streaming set can be. I sure hope no one is stealing streaming equipment to stream with them.

Top Bottom