• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 25-31 | Marvel vs. Comcast

4392890755.png

but now i get weird slowdowns during matches.

also, i'm off fighting games for a while. apparently they raise my blood pressure and it's hella aggravating the new tinnitus i picked up.

so i gotta choose between wailing on dudes online, or being able to sleep without a million crickets going off in one ear.

Kimosabae

Banned
"Know your audience" is kinda hollow in this instance unless you're targeting Professor Beef and CORN members.

It's just the moniker for the content. The latter is where it truly matters to "know your audience".

If you decide on something esoteric, simply enlighten the audience to what it means.

Unless you're worried about potential marketing ventures, search results, and are trying to court the absolute LCD, at which point, your project is doomed from the start, anyway.

I'd to think you'd want it to stand out and fit your personality, which is why you considered something as unique as "Ludus" in the first place.

But, hey, "Learn to Fighting Game Channel".

Whatever puts wind in your sails.

Well, I'm absolutely terrible at the games so I enjoy them more as a spectator than as a participant (even aspirational) and can't really contribute to discussions. So, I don't post very often. I haven't really been watching streams that long in the grand scheme of things, either; this money match was my first fighting game stream.

same here. We got ppl in here that dont play a lot either like enzo lol so I doubt that is really an issue

Azure J

I honestly don't even like the term "lab" for training mode, but I'm amazed at how far it has spread. I surprised myself when I noticed I was using it a few times.

I honestly don't think I even thought of using "lab" to describe training mode and the act of getting something out of it before I was introduced to GAF's fighting game community despite how apt it is to me.

"Know your audience" is kinda hollow in this instance unless you're targeting Professor Beef and CORN members.

It's just the moniker for the content. The latter is where it truly matters to "know your audience".

If you decide on something esoteric, simply enlighten the audience to what it means.

Unless you're worried about potential marketing ventures, search results, and are trying to court the absolute LCD, at which point, your project is doomed from the start, anyway.

I'd to think you'd want it to stand out and fit your personality, which is why you considered something as unique as "Ludus" in the first place.

But, hey, "Learn to Fighting Game Channel".

Whatever puts wind in your sails.

First of all, fuck you for the bolded.

Secondly, if you have a tutorial about something, but also have to spend time explaining what the title of your series means, then you're doing it wrong.

Azure J

Who is scarier vsav sasquatch or 3s makoto? I feel like they are pretty similar chars in a lot of ways.

3S Makoto had Chun, Yun & Ken to gate keep her. Sasquatch from all I've seen and heard seems like easy mode + huge rewards for said easy mode while pretty much having no "hard" matchups.

Character to character though, I'd say Sas still off of gut feeling.

Kimosabae

Banned
First of all, fuck you for the bolded.

Secondly, if you have a tutorial about something, but also have to spend time explaining what the title of your series means, then you're doing it wrong.

lol man what a load of bull. It would take all of 15-30 seconds depending on how in depth you wanted to go.

vocab

Who is scarier vsav sasquatch or 3s makoto? I feel like they are pretty similar chars in a lot of ways.

Makoto in the right hands. So like 1-2 people in the world youll never play. Sasquatch is a bitch. Instant hops are whatever. Ya, he has like every tool. Except a standing low. He's the original gorilla but doesn't destroy the game like ASW/XRD gorillas do.

ElTopo

Banned
Sasquatch. Anyone who say's Makoto either (A) only plays online Makoto's or (B) or sucks at the matchup. Makoto isn't bad when you can react to what she does but Sasquatch is like whatever.

jerry1594

Makoto. Even if you are Yun, Chun or Ken, one wrong move can mean the end. Sasquatch is a huge pain in the ass but is much more beatable by a good number of the cast. Still, I hate him.

*One of the highest health totals in VSav
*Walking, jumping, hit box of a character with crazy good normals
*Extremely high damage command grab
*A great guard cancel that tells the opponent to gtfo
*Bi Directional Chireitou with incredibly fast startup and tall ass hitboxes
*Full stage ice beam
*Ground puddle for massive damage
*High-low mixup game that would be legit in MvC3, Skullgirls, and Guilty Gear. Let's not talk Third Strike
*A simple ass cloud special for easy Anti air if you don't want to use your normals

http://wiki.mizuumi.net/w/Vampire_Savior/Sasquatch

Look at the hit boxes. Just look at them and tell me you want to deal with this. If Makoto is a human can opener Sasquatch is like the hammer from the Smash games.

lol man what a load of bull. It would take all of 15-30 seconds depending on how in depth you wanted to go.

Ask yourself this, then. What would the average person looking for something to watch do when seeing a series with a name/title that they need to get the definition on?

1) Spend time to find out what it means <-- your choice
2) Go watch another video <-- the realistic choice

The problem here is that you're vastly overestimating the average person's attention span. Simple names like "Game Grumps," "Excellent Adventures" (and the variations on the name), "Continue?," "Teens/Elders React," etc don't waste people's time when they're browsing titles. Contrary to the saying, people judge books by the cover all the time. And they should, because that's how you get eyes on the thing to begin with.

Of course this is all a moo point depending on what Karst is aiming for in terms of an audience. General public, or people already knowledgeable in fighters.

Onemic

4392890755.png

but now i get weird slowdowns during matches.

also, i'm off fighting games for a while. apparently they raise my blood pressure and it's hella aggravating the new tinnitus i picked up.

so i gotta choose between wailing on dudes online, or being able to sleep without a million crickets going off in one ear.

tbh, speedtest.net is a terrible indicator of how good your current connection is for games, especially FG's.

Everyone should be using pingtest.net

Kimosabae

Banned
I addressed the motivation behind something being "Search Engine Friendly" already. If your aim is to compete, then my suggestion is trash. If your aim is to actually expand people's minds - then you bring your own flavor to the game and hope for the best.

I'm a big fan of tangential learning and champion those to the high-heavens with the skill and opportunity to do it right.

No matter which route he takes, he'd have to market the thing in some fashion if he wants a significant amount of people to see it anyways. Hoping to blow up though search engine results is largely dumb luck.

Other Ocean is an offshoot of Backbone Entertainment?

That explains sooo much, lmao.

Code Mystics is ex-Backbone too, AFAIK, and they've done good work on KOF ports.

Aye I'm alive.
Since I was deemed a suicide risk, I had to stay in the hospital for 72 hours. I kinda panicked and freaked out on the way there because they wouldn't tell me where I was going, all they sad was "this will be a better place"

Glad you made it back fine. Better place from U.S. cops sounds pretty unnerving.

Well, I'm absolutely terrible at the games so I enjoy them more as a spectator than as a participant (even aspirational) and can't really contribute to discussions. So, I don't post very often. I haven't really been watching streams that long in the grand scheme of things, either; this money match was my first fighting game stream.
I feel like with a little coaching you could get decent in a short amount of time.

It's too bad Karst isn't a science teacher, he could have SF4 tutorials in an actual lab.
I taught science last year, am qualified for it, and have a chemistry degree, but I didn't really enjoy it. I worked at a school where I had to sign a document stating that evolution is "faith-based", and not real science. Even acknowledging evolution would probably get me fired at work. It severely sucks teaching science when you can't even delve into astronomy of biology because 90% of the population is a die-hard Creationist. I even have to pretend-pray at work.

No one calls to the school to complain about the teacher teaching the Pythagorean Theorem, so I teach math.

BadWolf

Well there's still Capcom Cup... I think there's also a good chance CC2016 has SFIV as a game, albeit not the headliner.

I think they might go all in with SFV, that will be the new entry and showing strong support for SFIV would just hinder V's growth. This would also be more beneficial for Sony as well I'm sure.

mbpm1

I taught science last year, am qualified for it, and have a chemistry degree, but I didn't really enjoy it. I worked at a school where I had to sign a document stating that evolution is "faith-based", and not real science. Even acknowledging evolution would probably get me fired at work. It severely sucks teaching science when you can't even delve into astronomy of biology because 90% of the population is a die-hard Creationist. I even have to pretend-pray at work.

No one calls to the school to complain about the teacher teaching the Pythagorean Theorem, so I teach math.

Well that sucks.

In unrelated news, AluCard is unrepentant lol

Rhapsody

Banned

That kinda blows. I always disliked how teachers don't teach in a way to challenge students. Classes end up having little discussion going on while creating tunnel vision in that the things you're taught is always the correct thing.

But that's really because of school policies and not all on the teachers.

Dahbomb

Seriously? You make it sound like this game is impossible just because each character has a character specific trait ability. Hold buttons and whif D attacks with Amane to make his drill attacks do more damage and lost longer. Noel and Taokaka aren't exactly tricky and neither are dudes like Ragna or Jin. Noel has one button rekkas,Taokaka gets dashes that are cancellable into stuff, Ragna heals with D button moves, and Jin freezes people.

Oooh...so hard to understand and start playing with. Maybe a puppet user like Carl Clover coupled with Hazama would take a helluva lot of study, but these gimmicks and abilities aren't too damned complex per character to understand and utilize in a match.

If you don't enjoy something for being anime thats fine, but don't act like BB is so impossibly complex that a tag version would tax players too much to enjoy it. Every character has a D button ability unique to them and its not too hard to use any of them. You can go for super long flashy mcswaggity stuff sure, just like any fighter, but even then there are bursts to end combo stuff and enough footsies to where you can run if you need to so its not like its Marvel TOD at every turn. You have options.

If anything a tag format makes it EASIER to use the cast since assists or tag combos would mitigate the need for learning long sequence combos or trickier setups with one character only. Use your assist or tag combo if it works like other tag games and get your damage that way.

Seriously. Blaz Blue is great and has loads of depth but making it out to be some ridiculously complex beast is just silly. No you can't just pick up the game and instantly know everyone's gimmick. No that doesn't make it complicated.

If you can use your computer you can take 2 seconds to look up any drive you need to and start utilizing it.
No game is impossible to learn and BlazBlue is certainly not the most complex game.

Tag combat never makes things easier, it always makes things harder and more complex. MVC3's standard characters are usually pretty basic (outside of some exceptions) but the overall game is very complex and hard to grasp starting out due to all the team variables and mechanics. That's how Tekken went from "fairly complex game" to "very complex game" with TTT2. So your assertion that tag/assists makes a game EASIER is something that I just can't comprehend.

90% of that post is just talking about BlazBlue characters and mechanics. If anything you are just supporting the claim that BlazBlue is a hard/complex game to get into.

I would say the same EXACT same thing about SF4 if they announced tomorrow that SF4 is going to have a 3v3 tag mode with assists and stuff on top of every character being in Omega mode. It would be more complex than a game where half of the cast isn't even used a lot despite being very good (due to there simply being a ton of characters for a 1v1 game).

I just found out that Haitani plays Sas. Neat coincidence.
Almost everyone plays Sas in one form or another. He's that backup in most people's pockets for unfavorable matchups.
That kinda blows. I always disliked how teachers don't teach in a way to challenge students. Classes end up having little discussion going on while creating tunnel vision in that the things you're taught is always the correct thing.

It is more like teachers can't teach in ways that challenge the parent's ideas and beliefs. No one cares what a kid has to say about the curriculum unless the teacher is nuts.

100% the fault of schools, parents, and politicians. In private, other teachers often share my dismay, but we're not in a position to change the anti-intellectual zeitgeist that pervades the USA.

Stupidity + strength can only rule the world for so long, though.

You just try teaching them all the other shit Pythagoras was up to.
Sometimes I bring up this stuff in an academic sense. My rule with the kids is always "I will tell you all the facts you want to know, but I will never share my personal beliefs with you". Since a lot of people around here have Fox News-quality of being the persecuted majority, they don't find that too controversial or unfamiliar.

Mumei

I feel like with a little coaching you could get decent in a short amount of time.

Possibly, though I can't really say that it's a personal goal. I might feel motivated to at least achieve "decent" - unlikely as that might be - if I actually had a modernish system and friends who also played, but neither is the case.

Possibly, though I can't really say that it's a personal goal. I might feel motivated to at least achieve "decent" - unlikely as that might be - if I actually had a modernish system and friends who also played, but neither is the case.
What happened to you and Smash?

Anne

Glad you made it back fine. Better place from U.S. cops sounds pretty unnerving.

Thanks for all the well wishes guys >.<

That highlights why I was scared, plus I was woken up by 5 police officers in my house orz I panicked a little too hard but damn it was not fun.

On a good note being cut off while I was away made me appreciate a lot of things, made me want to do more stuff.

zlatko

Banned
I doubt everyone is following that USF4 bad port thread, but someone made mention that Daigo would win Evo with a Shoryuken that leads him out of bounds out of the stage, and he'd get the win for it.

Subsequently someone posted" He finally made it to the top of that waterfall"

Which lead me to make these suggestions:

FGW| He Finally Made It Up That Waterfall

FGW| At The Top of The Waterfall We Look Down At The Port

Top Bottom