• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 25-31 | Marvel vs. Comcast

Kumubou

to you, what is the worst console port of a fighting game? and what's the best?
Alstein covered most of the games I would have picked outside of joke answers like the GBA versions of MKT or Tekken, or the DOS or C64 versions of SF2. The PSX vet of KoF95 is bad in a really funny way. It more or less works... except that guard cancels cost 0 meter. Oops!

Best: I'll throw in Namco's ports of Soul Calibur and Tekken Tag Tournament. The graphical upgrades at the time were insane and SC is one of the first 3D games I remember that doesn't look awful today (SC's strong art style is a huge assist there). And for SC1, there's also all of the extra content that they added.

VF4:Evo should be mentioned again and again in this regard, because that port was insanely good (even if it didn't look as good as the arcade version).

alstein

I severely doubt it. I can maybe crunch how things work well, but when it comes to actually playing well or playing enough I'm atrocious.

Warning: Skip if you've got a DJ tier attention span.

This should not be that surprising. Political correctness is, at heart, an attempt to control people and force them to conform to standards that the people XYZ pushing PC, not people XYZ, find comfortable, and the people advocating it don't tend to see the other side of the comfort coin - it is not a monotonous increase in comfort, but rather taking comfort away from some people and giving it to others. I can personally vouch that the more PC a place gets, the more I just want to stop going there. The atmosphere is stifling and feels like walking on a minefield.
It's not much of a surprise people see this as threatening and start pushing back, especially because the mentality among the supporters is that this is a universally good thing and they get everywhere and turn every place into a PC place. It is not "we have our needs, they have theirs, lets have (public) spaces for both". It is more "our needs are objectively good needs, they are merely assholes or bigots, let's drive them out and make everyplace better for everyone". A sensible attitude if the core idea of it being better for everyone was true, but it is not. As a result, fun environments disappear and turn into minefields.

I agree with the premise, but sometimes it is necessary. It's painfully obvious that some folks have been made to feel unwelcome over the years, and unreasonably so.

That said, I do think there's a reasonability standard in play- and while GAF goes way over that line sometimes (Especially in SJW-type threads), I don't think this is the case when it comes to the FGC.

Things like "trigger warnings" have to be weighed by that same standard- some "Trigger warnings" are pretty obvious and easy to avoid, while others are super unreasonable.

Obviously, that definition is my opinion- Anne is definitely to the left of me when it comes to stuff like this, and you can't leave these things up the mob rule, as the mob is often unreasonable itself, but you also can't let a group that has little to no connection with the mainstream community do it either- or it will be outright rejected and folks will retrench

Bullying and harassment can come from both sides of an issue, and too many folks have their heads up their asses and can't smell the shit from their own side. I just believe personally in doing the right thing and calling out shit when it's appropriate, even when it's not the popular thing to do.

It's really important to have friends and feeds that do more than just reinforce your already existing opinions. It's why I'm glad I have a couple of libertarian friends even if I want to throttle them whenever they start talking about it (politically I'm a "hardhat"-style liberal)

Nice, when will it start?

Schedule (CST)

CGLSNJMUgAAxn7j.png:large

CGL2mRhUgAAgXi-.jpg:large

vocab

ST is cheap as balls, it's like playing an anime game. Fucking jab to grab and unblockables with fucking specials, what is this? I say anime.
You act like st is the only game with tick grabs. Every street fighter games has them. Also unblockables? Old ryu jank and what else? Educate me o he who doesnt play this game.

What a shitty fucking character Leo is. I'm literally going to have to pick him up to learn how to fight him.

post-24099-well-there-it-is-gif-Imgur-Tum-TuVG.gif

Finally. He's the most non intuitive character to defend against. Let's give him auto cross ups, standing lows, and pressure that seems endless! Oh you pushed a button well you fucked up. Seriously the dumbest anti GG character design.

A nice guy at locals taught me MKX last night. I had fun, but the timer on Sub-Zero's ice clone makes me unhappy. Also, what the hell at not being able to use it in the air anymore. >:-/ He feels so much less dynamic and fun based on that one change. Less aggressive, more turtly now.

The game is clunkier than I thought it would be, but I still enjoyed myself. If I owned it I would experiment with someone besides Sub-Zero, but I just have to deal with it since I can't learn new characters.

I just need bnbs for him. My combo was j.2, 112 for like 13% damage, and I am sure he can do almost triple that.

Guy also had a "When's Marvel?" shirt on, so I knew he was good people.

KBR v FullSchedule? What does that matchup look like? Sounds like whoever get the first hit wins.

Sounds like Marvel.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
ST definitely has some BS. However, its still the best game in terms of raw fundamentals and footsies. In fact, its nothing but that.

I picked it up just cause of that, my footsies are improving slowly. Fuck anti-air in the game though, you can never jump ;_;

Full list of matches tonight.

I'm fucking hype for SF and Marvel.

Marn is still in Vietnam?

He is. Idiot left US for a girl and they broke up eventually. Dude makes no sense half of the time, especially when you're trying to convince him otherwise.

petran79

Banned
to you, what is the worst console port of a fighting game? and what's the best?

Apart from MvC2 and CvsSNK which were almost identical.

Credit should go to Street Fighter III: New Generation and Second Impact, released on Dreamcast. Best CPS3 port for a long time. Unfortunate the same team could not convert Third Strike like the previous games and it was lacking in arcade parity, till the PS2 port.

Worst: Art of Fighting on Sega Megadrive and SNES. First for music and sfx, second for gameplay

Dahbomb

KBR v FullSchedule? What does that matchup look like? Sounds like whoever get the first hit wins.
Viper tries to zone Hulk out with Haggar with Seismo and Beam. Rush in only with assist. Hulk always tries to get in. Sniping out Sentinel is huge in the match up and Viper can Rapid Seismo Sentinel to death.

Start of round option both Viper and Hulk are top 5 in the game easy so both players will have to be making big reads/guesses at start. Games could be decided at that juncture.

Both players have secondaries that can wreck the other team as well in terms of match ups. Match up is heavily favored for Viper because she gets the kill on Hulk, she can play neutral against Sentinel, get the hit and unblockable Haggar. Sentinel is actually a big factor in this match up because he can escape the incoming unblockables and crazy mix ups.

Full Schedule's team is favored but its KBR and its Marvel 3... which means throw out your books, match up charts and tier lists for this one.

mbpm1

Viper tries to zone Hulk out with Haggar with Seismo and Beam. Rush in only with assist. Hulk always tries to get in. Sniping out Sentinel is huge in the match up and Viper can Rapid Seismo Sentinel to death.

Start of round option Viper is top 5 in the game easy so both players will have to be making big reads/guesses at start. Games could be decided at that juncture.

Both players have secondaries that can wreck the other team as well in terms of match ups. Match up is heavily favored for Viper because she gets the kill on Hulk, she can play neutral against Sentinel, get the hit and unblockable Haggar. Sentinel is actually a big factor in this match up because he can escape the incoming unblockables and crazy mix ups.

Full Schedule's team is favored but its KBR and its Marvel 3... which means throw out your books, match up charts and tier lists for this one.

Sounds like a nice evenish match, cool

Kotaku picked up my video of the unreleased Marvel fighting game from 2008ish :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2603K0dR6Bk

The physics, environment destruction focus, and civilians mentioned in the comments section make the game really seem like more of a superhero fight simulator than any comics fighting game before or since.

If the framerate were good, and it was faster paced, imagine air comboing a guy and launching him into a building, where the wall breaks and the inside is fully modeled, but then he grabs a table from inside and throws it at you, and you counter by grabbing a car and clobbering him with it, all while tons of civilian NPCs run around in terror and get thrown around as ragdolls from the action.

Playable Man of Steel.

mbpm1

The physics, environment destruction focus, and civilians mentioned in the comments section make the game really seem like more of a superhero fight simulator than any comics fighting game before or since.

If the framerate were good, and it was faster paced, imagine air comboing a guy and launching him into a building, where the wall breaks and the inside is fully modeled, but then he grabs a table from inside and throws it at you, and you counter by grabbing a car and clobbering him with it, all while tons of civilian NPCs run around in terror and get thrown around as ragdolls from the action.

Playable Man of Steel.

That's way ambitious. I wanna see it.

Going to miss the KiT stuff tonight, hopefully they upload the UMVC3 stuff soon afterwards, because I am going to Weird Al tonight, and MAN I am HYPE for it! Going to leave in a couple hours to go see him!

Welp that sure is a ZZ hyper beam saber, wonder if you can combo into it.
Squall has never been able to combo into his HP Attacks sadly, outside of one or two oddly-timed links. By design he has good matchups against all the "mage" characters in Dissidia, which is a clever nod to FF8.
A nice guy at locals taught me MKX last night. I had fun, but the timer on Sub-Zero's ice clone makes me unhappy. Also, what the hell at not being able to use it in the air anymore. >:-/ He feels so much less dynamic and fun based on that one change. Less aggressive, more turtly now.

The game is clunkier than I thought it would be, but I still enjoyed myself. If I owned it I would experiment with someone besides Sub-Zero, but I just have to deal with it since I can't learn new characters.

I just need bnbs for him. My combo was j.2, 112 for like 13% damage, and I am sure he can do almost triple that.

I've been doing unoptimized 20-25% combos with him, but he seems pretty reset-based in Grandmaster. I wish I could remember the notations, but I stopped using him since I started focusing on Raiden and Jax.

Squall has never been able to combo into his HP Attacks sadly, outside of one or two oddly-timed links. By design he has good matchups against all the "mage" characters in Dissidia, which is a clever nod to FF8.

I've been doing unoptimized 20-25% combos with him, but he seems pretty reset-based in Grandmaster. I wish I could remember the notations, but I stopped using him since I started focusing on Raiden and Jax.

you think you bad? you aint bad

knew I had to stick with him from there

I will! And dudley is not top tier if that's what's you're suggesting, just because smug is turning water to wine doesnt change the fact that he's fundamentally flawed, not everyone can whiff punish with standing rh xx . MU numbers>>>one dudes weekly results. It's like how snakeeyez makes sagat matchup not look terrible. As for gouken, he's still not good, I shy away from using him because I just don't enjoy playing him as much anymore, I like being able to play more aggressively now. So I'm considering ini or e. Ryu.

I'm trying to change my fighting game philosophy. I need a character with some bullshit. Out of my characters, dudley has some bullshit for my opponent to deal with. Gouken doesn't.

Gouken has bullshit b, its just you have to work harder for your wins.

Dudley struggles against characters with really strong footsies/good buttons IMO. A lot of matches with him involve bulldogging your way into the opponents face and then never leave. Dudley is one of the most aggressive characters in the game, if anything you'd be playing less aggressive using E. Ryu or Ini lol

JeTmAn81

Start of round option both Viper and Hulk are top 5 in the game easy so both players will have to be making big reads/guesses at start. Games could be decided at that juncture.

Start of round, EX Seismo vs. Hulk's standing H (one hit of armor). Who wins? Seismo has invincibility but only hits once. I feel like the armor should absorb it then hit Viper.

Dahbomb

Start of round, EX Seismo vs. Hulk's standing H (one hit of armor). Who wins? Seismo has invincibility but only hits once. I feel like the armor should absorb it then hit Viper.
Depends on who goes first. Viper can still do EX Seismo jump cancel then air dash away. Though he's not going to be doing that too often at start, he needs that in neutral to keep Hulk honest.

Viper is going to be Focus Attack shenanigans at start of round which has hyper armor or her throw OSs. Besides if he wants to burn meter at start he can EX Burn Kick to burn through the armor.

Imm0rt4l

you think you bad? you aint bad

knew I had to stick with him from there

Gouken has bullshit b, its just you have to work harder for your wins.

Dudley struggles against characters with really strong footsies/good buttons IMO. A lot of matches with him involve bulldogging your way into the opponents face and then never leave. Dudley is one of the most aggressive characters in the game, if anything you'd be playing less aggressive using E. Ryu or Ini lol
all of Dudleys matchup involve bulldogging. What does gouken have that constitutes as bs? And I disagree about being less aggressive with those characters since bulldogging entails walk and block constantly since poor footsies. I was referring to a char more aggressive than gouken anyways.

vocab

Yeah that's annoying.

I dunno, it might be because I'm not very good at GG but I don't see what makes Leo worse than I-No or Bedman. What does anti-GG mean? What makes I-No a GG character but not Leo?

It basically comes down to easily accessible high damage. You can not pick up INO or bedman and just beat people. No, you actually have to put time into those characters. Hell you have to put time into milla, or even eddie. That's ultimately the problem with anime games in general. For every ino, bedman, or even venom there's 2-4 goredeaus where you can master the character in less than a day and you have to ask your self, is it worth the time and effort learning venom when I can pick up Leo in 15 mins and beat people who have been playing the game for months? XRD has a really fucked up sense of reward. Elphelt and Leo cater to the play to win lazy gorilla mentality.

I'm all for characters that are easy to pick up and play like sol or Ky, but when you include a character with stupid suffering offense and easy access to high damage I have to question whats the point of even playing other characters when you have to work twice or sometimes triple as hard. GG is already a hard game, why do we need characters that skip the difficulty aspect completely?

I find that leos offense is very blazblue like it just doesn't feel like he belongs in this game.

all of Dudleys matchup involve bulldogging. What does gouken have that constitutes as bs? And I disagree about being less aggressive with those characters since bulldogging entails walk and block constantly since poor footsies.

With Dudley you really just fish for a hit confirm/knockdown/counter poke then go in.

Cobalt and other Gouken's have shown me some really really ambiguous Gouken setups that all start from one ex. Senkugoshoha. Once they're in the corner you can end it right there if you play your cards right.

Imm0rt4l

With Dudley you really just fish for a hit confirm/knockdown/counter poke then go in.

Cobalt and other Gouken's have shown me some really really ambiguous Gouken setups that all start from one ex. Senkugoshoha. Once they're in the corner you can end it right there if you play your cards right.
I know how to play gouken. The character isn't very good breh.

Top Bottom