• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Oct 6-12 | One Frame, Two Frame, Just Frame, Plus Frame

sikvod00

Banned
I think the biggest enhancement to USF4 and other multi platform fighters would be for online to be cross platform. I have no idea the amount of development work that would take though.

I think the biggest enhancement to USF4 and other multi platform fighters would be for online to be cross platform. I have no idea the amount of development work that would take though.

Not much. It wouldn't be allowed by platform holders though, for the same reasons you'll never see officially licensed controllers that are cross-compatible.

BadWolf

PS3/PS4/PC is as far as that would go, MS doesn't allow it.

Final Fantasy XIV is cross platform between PC, PS3 and PS4 iirc.

Salex_

It's not hard to implement, but policies prevents this from happening. I can understand why they exist though.

Interest in some exclusives + friends playng multplat online games on the console and/or the biggest community for a few multiplat games you want = Good incentives to jump in soon than later (or ever).
------

I believe Nntendo and Sony are somewhat open to it though. There's a few PS4/PC cross-platform F2P games and FF14.

The biggest problem here is the multiplatform nature of the industry, today. 11-12 years ago, it used to be that third parties were willing to do console exclusives without the necessity of money hats (or at least, hats not quit as large) because development costs weren't so expensive. It really helped differentiate the hardware on the market. Nowadays, the difference in software is largely a wash, with one console just having a generally higher resolution/framerate in its games (which is now in danger due to forced parity).

So, consoles don't even have much of a personality outside their first-party titles anymore, of which they're aren't enough. The weak nature of the architecture and safe approaches has made that avenue pretty underwhelming thus far.

If you asked me, this is where Nintendo actually benefits from the third party abandonment.

no, it just makes the lack of third parties that much more apparent when both Sony AND Microsoft have them

sikvod00

Banned
Not much. It wouldn't be allowed by platform holders though, for the same reasons you'll never see officially licensed controllers that are cross-compatible.
Yeah, that makes sense. I was thinking specifically of FF14 when I made that comment. But "cross platform" in that game is actually a current-gen and next-gen console from same manufacturer and PC, heh. It would be a different story if another competing console were involved.

Kimosabae

Banned
no, it just makes the lack of third parties that much more apparent when both Sony AND Microsoft have them

My point is that the system has a more defined identity than the other two, which is the silver lining in regarding the third party exodus. That's not something to take for granted.

My point is that the system has a more defined identity than the other two, which is the silver lining in regarding the third party exodus. That's not something to take for granted.

When this defined identity is basically "we don't have the games people want", that's not really anything.

Beckx

A defined identity that nobody wants to buy aint doing them much good

It pretty much defines the Western market right now: the console that has the best games (IMO of course) but no AAA experiences is a flyspeck on the sales of the consoles that are getting bought on the potential they will deliver those experiences in a better way than their predecessors.

In that respect Japan seems more rational to me: no one is buying consoles at all.

BadWolf

It pretty much defines the Western market right now: the console that has the best games (IMO of course) but no AAA experiences is a flyspeck on the sales of the consoles that are getting bought on the potential they will deliver those experiences in a better way than their predecessors.

In that respect Japan seems more rational to me: no one is buying consoles at all.

You have to love Nintendo IPs for the Wii U to be relevant to you though.

Beckx

You have to love Nintendo IPs for the Wii U to be relevant to you though.

Of course. Much like you have to love HBO's output to want to subscribe. It's getting far afield, but there are successful models to build based around people who want just your content. Only in video games do we think you need ubiquity. Maybe you do; I don't know.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm not sure what the benefit of aforementioned identity is. As far as the Wii U is concerned "none of the non-Nintendo games I want to play will end up on the system" is part of it's identity. PS4 has a pretty strong identity coming out of X1 fiascos as well with this whole superiority in specs thing which the public is increasingly caring about because how the phone market has evolved, and also a pretty successful marketing campaign that convinced people they are "4 the gamers" and their competition is not.

edit: PS4 just came in, woo

BadWolf

Of course. Much like you have to love HBO's output to want to subscribe. It's getting far afield, but there are successful models to build based around people who want just your content. Only in video games do we think you need ubiquity. Maybe you do; I don't know.

Sure, but Nintedo tends to stick to a few IPs and for the most part makes games for them over and over. What if you never liked those IPs? They never clicked with me personally.

On the PS4 side, for example, you get full representation in terms of 3rd parties in addition to Sony's strong first party output. And unlike the others, Sony makes new IPs left and right so there is always a chance that something new might catch your attention. It's a win-win in terms of choice in what you get to play.

And let's not forget that it was just the first year for the new consoles. Have you seen 2015? Its' freaking loaded (MGSV, Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, The Order, possibility of RE7 and FFXV, Dragon Quest Heroes, Persona 5, Deep Down, and more).

Beckx

Nice, make a Japanese account and get the Yakuza Isshin demo, it's fun.

Nintendo's going to be fine, they're going to live off me buying amiibo and faceplates alone. :(

BadWolf, you may be misunderstanding me. I am not trying to argue that people should buy other things. I am more surprised that they are buying at all in the amounts they are. For me, personally, I just don't have much interest in big AAA. Persona 5 is a must buy for me, but I don't expect it to be materially different than the PS3 and honestly I'd rather have a game like that on Vita (I guess Remote Play helps there). Bloodborne is too, but will it be something better than Demons', or something with better image quality than Demons'? I guess it's fine if it's just the latter.

If it helps clarify, what is Destiny (or any cross-gen game) doing better on PS4 than PS3 that makes dropping $400 so compelling for so many people? It may very well just be image quality. Hell, I bought a PS4 last year. I just question that decision a lot now, hah. I'm playing Alien on it now so that's cool.

No, that just means your taste doesn't align with the western market, not that they are somehow "less rational" (what does that even mean).

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Discussing how we will migrate to new consoles in the current gen.

I just feel like you can have this discussion(and people do have this discussion) in literally any other thread on this site

I stick to community threads to get away from all that shit

Like I'd rather you guys be talking about the latest shitty marvel movie

BadWolf

BadWolf, you may be misunderstanding me. I am not trying to argue that people should buy other things. I am more surprised that they are buying at all in the amounts they are. For me, personally, I just don't have much interest in big AAA. Persona 5 is a must buy for me, but I don't expect it to be materially different than the PS3 and honestly I'd rather have a game like that on Vita (I guess Remote Play helps there). Bloodborne is too, but will it be something better than Demons', or something with better image quality than Demons'? I guess it's fine if it's just the latter.

If it helps clarify, what is Destiny (or any cross-gen game) doing better on PS4 than PS3 that makes dropping $400 so compelling for so many people? It may very well just be image quality. Hell, I bought a PS4 last year. I just question that decision a lot now, hah. I'm playing Alien on it now so that's cool.

Ah, yeah I'm with you there.

Still haven't bought the system for that reason as well, holding out until next year when all of that goodness hits.

Sure, but Nintedo tends to stick to a few IPs and for the most part makes games for them over and over. What if you never liked those IPs? They never clicked with me personally.

This is one of those things that has changed in the company over time. It used to be that Nintendo had an idea and they created an entire new world around it - Strafox, F-Zero etc.

Nowadays the company is really focused on two things: Pushing 3D and "surprise". They consider the main purpose of games to be surprising the player, and in their minds this is mostly a mechanical thing. So they make a game, and then pick an existing IP to contort around the idea or use Miis for it. The effects of this can very readily be felt in Smash Bros, where the really good stuff is rarely new. Basically, each successive Smash title will just kick less ass because there's less and less kickass content to infuse it with.

You can see the attitude at play in their naming schemes too, nowadays. They're some of the most uninspired drek I've ever seen which readily reflects the creative bankruptcy of the company's current MO.

I just feel like you can have this discussion(and people do have this discussion) in literally any other thread on this site

I stick to community threads to get away from all that shit

Like I'd rather you guys be talking about the latest shitty marvel movie

but the latest shitty marvel movie is less related to fighting games than whether now is a good time to jump into current gen or not

i need to get away from playing online, so paid multi on ps4 doesn't bother me enough to not get one, and gg is enough for me to get the system

needing a new stick is really annoying though, might end up holding back for a few months because of it

This sentiment is grossly inaccurate. Nintendo frequently creates new IPs, and they are often beloved on GAF by the people who buy them.

NEO0MJ

I guess we just got bored :p

needing a new stick is really annoying though, might end up holding back for a few months because of it

This is one of the reasons I'm not in a rush to play GG on PS4 anytime soon. Aside from investing in the console, I'd have to buy a new stick. Fighters have lost some popularity here so I don't think they'll bring the new PS4/X1 sticks here yet and I don't want to pay over $100 to ship a stick.

casperOne

So glad that 1/2 of the screen for the 40 minutes is that black banner saying "subscribe!"

I literally did not know who the historical figure was before checking Wikipedia earlier.

Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.

I really do hope it's Spider Man being bought back but I'm not getting my hopes up

Reading that thread, I got on the hype train a little bit, but happy to see Hickman doing Secret Wars next year. His writing is phenominal and has an affinity for the long term delivery that Bendis did when he worked on the title.

As somebody who's played both the PS3 and PS4 versions, the difference in image quality is almost non-existent. It's purely marketing and happening to be a high profile game during a period when many players are still transitioning to next gen.

As somebody who's played both the PS3 and PS4 versions, the difference in image quality is almost non-existent. It's purely marketing and happening to be a high profile game during a period when many players are still transitioning to next gen.

Seems pretty significant from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDMRMzc9TSY
Of course IQ isn't really going to effect your gameplay experience as much as load times consistency of the frame rate.

Personally I never bothered taking a look at the PS3 version since I already had a PS4.

hitsugi

PS4 has Bloodborne hitting on February so.. yeah. Nothing else to say about that discussion. Release date in Feb = holiday system sales.

PHOTOSHOP

TFC starts today. Times are PST
Kinda sucks marvel and sf4 are streamed at the same time. Going to multitwitch it
tfcstream-final2.png

Yesterday I had intended to buy a 3ds and Smash bros but I ended up walking out the store with Marvel 2 on dreamcast for $35. The messed up part is that I don't even have a dreamcast, crt, or a stick lol.

Seems pretty significant from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDMRMzc9TSY
Of course IQ isn't really going to effect your gameplay experience as much as load times consistency of the frame rate.

Personally I never bothered taking a look at the PS3 version since I already had a PS4.
I don't really know why, could be personal bias, but the difference looks really staggering in pictures and video but I barely noticed it in live gameplay. Lighting is better but that's it.

I don't really know why, could be personal bias, but the difference looks really staggering in pictures and video but I barely noticed it in live gameplay. Lighting is better but that's it.

Could be the display you are viewing it on and the distance to it. Maybe it's only obvious in a side by side comparison.

Edit: There might have been some changes since the beta build, although I didn't notice any in the PS4 version.

sikvod00

Banned
Oh yeah it was Snake Eyez. I can't believe I forgot. I like Snake Eyez over Pepedai lol. Thanks for the date.
Heh. I'm guessing most users on this thread are (wisely) betting on Snake. Pepedai is one of the few players I would root for when going up against The Gief (Bonchan another). Everyone else I want to see lose, lol.He just seemed like a totally cool, chill guy at TGS, which a nice and inspiring win. Plus it's his first time in U.S. Either way I hope it's a good game.

OceanBlue

Heh. I'm guessing most users on this thread are (wisely) betting on Snake. Pepedai is one of the few players I would root for when going up against The Gief (Bonchan another). Everyone else I want to see lose, lol.He just seemed like a totally cool, chill guy at TGS, which a nice and inspiring win. Plus it's his first time in U.S. Either way I hope it's a good game.

I think it'd be really hype of Pepedai wins, and I wouldn't mind rooting for him either. If I were to make a prediction though, I'd go for Snake Eyez. I thought Bonchan would beat Pepedai too, so obviously I don't know what I'm talking about. :p

Kimosabae

Banned
I'm not sure what the benefit of aforementioned identity is. As far as the Wii U is concerned "none of the non-Nintendo games I want to play will end up on the system" is part of it's identity. PS4 has a pretty strong identity coming out of X1 fiascos as well with this whole superiority in specs thing which the public is increasingly caring about because how the phone market has evolved, and also a pretty successful marketing campaign that convinced people they are "4 the gamers" and their competition is not.

I'm not sure the PS4's identity is anything more than "Something people want more than the XB1" right now. Look at GAF recently. Sentiment seems to be turning against the system a bit and slowing its overall momentum, while the XBone is picking up steam.

Live and Halo are the x1's prime differentiators atm and they're not enough, imo.

Calm the fuck down, buddy. You might hurt someone.

The last generation is disappointing too if you look at it during it's first launch year. I am not disagreeing with the fact that these first year titles are kinda meh. I am just wondering if you are implying that previous generations didn't suck as much at launch.

My problem is that there's nothing in the works that gets me excited for either console's future.

I didn't get a 360 until the Halo 3 beta dropped back in 2007, or a PS3 until Guns of the Patriots, but goddamned if Fight Night and Motorstorm didn't get me excited for the potential of both systems back then.

The only thing coming down the pipe that looks like it could potentially cause a stir is The Order, next year - but that's only because of its graphics. From what I've seen: I don't want to play that game.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
A tire blew up on the way to TFC. Setting up my stream slides in the Discount Tire waiting room. HYPE.

I'm not sure the PS4's identity is anything more than "Something people want more than the XB1" right now. Look at GAF recently. Sentiment seems to be turning against the system a bit and slowing its overall momentum, while the XBone is picking up steam.

you're using GAF as an indication of how things are going

meanwhile in the real world, PS4 continues marching on (well, sort of, but that's a debate for another thread)

My problem is that there's nothing in the works that gets me excited for either console's future.

I didn't get a 360 until the Halo 3 beta dropped back in 2007, or a PS3 until Guns of the Patriots, but goddamned if Fight Night and Motorstorm didn't get me excited for the potential of both systems back then.

The only thing coming down the pipe that looks like it could potentially cause a stir is The Order, next year - but that's only because of its graphics. From what I've seen: I don't want to play that game.

Fair enough but it still sounds like a problem of personal taste than anything else. Fight Night was not indicative of the games that were popular last generation and any studio that made arcade style racers has pretty much closed down or stopped making them.

Edit: I guess all I am saying this generation appears disappointing but that appearance is not indicative of anything other than personal tastes and preferences. Either that or I am calling you out on being able to predict where a console generation is headed. I am honestly not sure myself where I am going with this anymore.

Edit: Holy shit Wipeout HD came out 2 years after the launch of PS3? God damn is the first year or two a console launch just wastelands. Always a good idea to wait.

Top Bottom