• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Oct 6-12 | One Frame, Two Frame, Just Frame, Plus Frame

Hey guys I've been wanting to ask this question for a whole but I can't make threads yet.
I have Injustice for pa4 and wanted to get better at it. I've always wanted to be good at fighting games but I suck hard at them. Any tips for a beginner at Injustice?

alstein

Hey guys I've been wanting to ask this question for a whole but I can't make threads yet.
I have Injustice for pa4 and wanted to get better at it. I've always wanted to be good at fighting games but I suck hard at them. Any tips for a beginner at Injustice?

Get gud. ^_^

No seriously- this is my general advice. When you lose, try to figure out why you lost, then try to do something different about it next time. You also need to do lab work if you're new more than others, because your neutral game will be weaker due to lack of experience, you have to make up for it in other areas.

Get gud. ^_^

No seriously- this is my general advice. When you lose, try to figure out why you lost, then try to do something different about it next time. You also need to do lab work if you're new more than others, because your neutral game will be weaker due to lack of experience, you have to make up for it in other areas.
Would you recommend a certain character for noobs? I've been rolling with Green Arrow mostly.

Kimosabae

Banned
I think the question is coexistence more than it is replacement. Even if a game that's effectively better at being Melee than Melee happens, a significant portion of people would still just stick with Melee because of nostalgia, familiarity, etc.

Just watch in a few years when Melee gets re-released for Wii U or whatever the Nintendo console is at that time. The cycle will continue and you will get the NOOOOO WAYYYYYY reactions and all.

I'm speaking in terms of being the main event/face of the competitive scene. They'll co-exist for a time for sure, and some organizers will experiment with trying to make Smash WiiU the main event, but just like Brawl, I predict it won't hold, unless Smash 4 develops into something more interesting (the video showcasing the ground movement options won't likely get fleshed out until the WiiU version arrives).

Whenever I watch PM there is something off about it.
Dunno if it's the fall speeds. Maybe the overall character designs. They feel unnatural in some way.

Still haven't watched the whole top8 cause Smash takes forever but I'm halfway through it and it's been insanely good.

I'll never like the idea of P:M. I was always of the mindset: "If you want another Melee, just play Melee. Leave Brawl be.". But I understand the appeal of wanting new characters and stages, plus Brawl is damned-near objectively bad. If you were a Melee fan, anxious for something new, Brawl didn't cut it. I do wish they'd at least try to implement a new mechanic or two of their own, though.

Disregarding the great job they've done, Brawl still translates way too much in terms of sound effects and art. Both are extremely bad. Brawl's aesthetics are overwrought and tacky, IMO.

Mario is pretty dope, though.

Gliffyr

Would you recommend a certain character for noobs? I've been rolling with Green Arrow mostly.
My experience playing Injustice is a bit basic, but regardless of the game you're playing, you should focus on a character that you like, especially if you're a beginner.

Some characters are easier than others of course and some are definitely not catered towards beginners. That being said, if you really want to improve at a fighting game, you should stick with a character you want to play. Doesn't matter if it's because you like the character itself or their playstyle (liking both is ideal though!). If it's a character you want to play, you have greater motivation to improve with them. Regardless of where they place on a tier list - which has little value below high-level play - if it's a character you like and want to play, you'll improve steadily since you're personally invested in your character.

So keep messing around with characters. Don't feel pigeon-holed into sticking with one character because they're the only one you can win with. Learn what each character can do and try to figure out what you like in a character and the kind of playstyle you prefer. As you play more, you'll be able to get a general idea of the characters you're interested in and with further experience, you'll figure out which ones actually really click with you. Don't worry too much about losing; it's rough but it's part of the game and isn't exactly surprising when you're sometimes playing against people that have been playing fighting games above a mashing level for several years.

There's surely videos to be found and streams to be watched for Injustice, but do keep in mind it's not the most popular fighting game around here so there's not too many people that can provide specific information for it. In the end though, just try to have fun! You'll improve naturally just by playing if, as mentioned, you try to learn something with every loss. You can worry about the nitty-gritty once you've gotten more comfortable with the game and feel you've hit a wall that requires more intricate knowledge to pass.

I'll never like the idea of P:M. I was always of the mindset: "If you want another Melee, just play Melee. Leave Brawl be.". But I understand the appeal of wanting new characters and stages, plus Brawl is damned-near objectively bad. If you were a Melee fan, anxious for something new, Brawl didn't cut it. I do wish they'd at least try to implement a new mechanic or two of their own, though.

Disregarding the great job they've done, Brawl still translates way too much in terms of sound effects and art. Both are extremely bad. Brawl's aesthetics are overwrought and tacky, IMO.

Mario is pretty dope, though.

I don't mean visually, here, but as mechanical designs. Something about them just feels off.

Saw Mario's new fireballs yesterday. They look ridiculous, recovery, trajectory and all. Free % all day.

El Sloth

Banned
Paging Osu 16-bit

On top of what every has said (and will say), I just want to add that to me one of the best things you can do to get better at any game is to find like-minded people to actually play with! Whether it's your own friends, or people who meet up locally to play with.

It'd be especially nice if you can find another beginner like yourself since then you can both serve as each other's motivation to get better as you both improve simultaneously. But it's not necessary to getting better, so don't feel bad if you can't find anyone locally to play with. It's just a nice plus.

The most important thing is to make sure you're having fun.

mbpm1

It'd be especially nice if you can find another beginner like yourself since then you can both serve as each other's motivation to get better as you both improve simultaneously. But it's not necessary to getting better, so don't feel bad if you can't find anyone locally to play with. It's just a nice plus.

Seconding this. I would never have stuck with fighting games if my friend nearby wasn't playing with me. Learning how to do things like anti-air and combo seem a lot more important when you're learning with someon.

Kimosabae

Banned
I don't mean visually, here, but as mechanical designs. Something about them just feels off.

I know what you mean. I'm just as fuzzy regarding pinpointing the problem also, I just feel as though aesthetics are part of it - garbled sound effects associated Dashes and Hitstun for example (seriously, wtf is this? Sound designer should be shot).

The game's still far from a 1:1 correlation with Melee in terms of mechanics. Dashdashing isn't as flexible for example, because the Initial Dash animations aren't generally as long.

Compbros

Superman is a good character and good for beginners: he's good at neutral, has one of the best normals/strings in the game for footsies, is a good zoner, and his basic combos are easy to get a grasp on.

I don't think saving $10 is worth going physical, so I'll have to get the adapter and controller separately

Also, I'm curious, who is getting or got a Wii U just for Smash?

Zissou

I don't think saving $10 is worth going physical, so I'll have to get the adapter and controller separately

Also, I'm curious, who is getting or got a Wii U just for Smash?

Not just for smash, but it's the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak. It's smash+platinum games stuff that mostly interests me. I actually have W101 already because I got it for cheap even though I have yet to buy the console, haha.

Tizoc

Wonder what this artist's been up to lately...
SFA2Group.png

SSFIIArt.png

I agree with what's been said. Green Arrow probably isn't the best character for a beginner but you should play who you like to have fun with anyway. If you also want to try others out that are easy and simple I'd recomend Superman, Aquaman, or Green Lantern.

Testyourmight.com is the home of competitive Mortal Kombat/Injustice. The character sub-forums are kind of inactive now that the game is over a year old but there's tons of information in them to read. I'm sure there's some Green Arrow guides.

Azure J

I can do them but I don't use Marth outside of Melee. (Switched to Lucas in Brawl/Project M) I use Ness, Robin, and Little Mac in Smash 4.

You need to add me btw (and the rest of you guys too!)

US 3DS: 0688-5275-6848
JP 3DS (has a capture card if you want me to record matches) : 2681-1157-3404

PM me please if you added me.

Added both your names. Can't wait to be bodied on stream in a game again! :lol

It's kind of the same. I've learn to just keep spacing it. If they're at low percent, I'll never do a landing fair just because it's suicidal. Rising fair until I rack up percent, then just space the rest.

Oh right. I'll send a PM with my code in case you don't see this.

I realize that I play such a grounded Marth in Smash. I only ever feel the fair nerf when I hit someone with a low height fair on air-to-airs only for my mind to engage "Ken Combo" mode and get all
iQkklbssfd4bb.png
when I see how bad his knees have gotten.

Hit me with a PM too, I don't think I got your FC yet.

Some of these custom moves...
8KFOvbv.png

I'm curious, which characters and which customs are you gravitating towards?

There are so many characters but I am gravitating towards Greninja, Palutena feels slow. I have only used Palutena, Mario, Greninja, Joe and Kirby.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What's the most efficient way (or Classic Difficulty) to grind customization items in Smash? That's all I really care for doing in Smash before I get into versus, etc.

Thirsty to get back playing but I'm pretty much backed up with work D;

Azure J

What's the most efficient way (or Classic Difficulty) to grind customization items in Smash? That's all I really care for doing in Smash before I get into versus, etc.

I want to say save state scumming the roulette wheel before a match in classic mode (especially at highest difficulty where x3s, x4s, and x5s are a thing), but fuck that noise and just play Smash Run prioritizing loot drops with the wrench on the side. At least the ROI time wise is better.

Horseress

Gotta grind hard on dem Smash Runs, that's what I'll start doing

Same....fuck adulthood >.<

BTW I'm loving the 2 stock format, works pretty well in this game IMO

That target break mini game is pretty quick and easy

I'm happy we're getting Smash U first but god damn it my wallet already hates me for the P4AU and Smash 3ds and I STIL need to figure out a way to get funds for Bayo 2. How the hell will I get money for Smash U D:

how does King Crimson's super work in jojo's game? what does it do exactly?

I assume you mean the level 1 super that makes him autododge for a while?

There are 4 methods I know of:
1) Classic, look for tools on the roulette (pause to cheat the system).
2) Smash Run, look for tools.
3) Trophy Run.
4) Smash Bomb with Ganondorf (neutral B -> win).

Listed fastest method to slowest. 4) is brainless, though, and you can just mash "A" while watching TV or reading a book.

Also, PM me your friend code and add me. My FC is in my profile.

Top Bottom