• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT| Where has all of my money gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dang took a while to preorder the Link Nendoroid most sites that will mark down sold out XD

Going with Amiami and guess I have to bite the £11-£14 custom bullet T-T

Had it in my N-Y cart and sold out a day or so ago XD

Edit: Also preordered Tsukuyo cause more than likely will be the only figure she'll get...
ibzaGRuUG0r2K3.gif

kewlmyc

Don't know who Homura is but if it wasn't for the moe face I would get the figure.

You're in the wrong place buddy.

But seriously, the source material Madoka Magica is surprisingly fantastic despite looking like super cute moe crap. It's on Netflix too.

Busaiku

Speaking of GG, since I'm currently way into it and craving Xrd like nobody's business this naturally means I need GG figures, which I've been on the hunt for. I already splurged and made a transfer to buy an overpriced, but fuck it it's I-No by Max Factory and I'm on my way to try and get a Bridget. I'm reminded there was a Sol Badguy during WonFes and while I was initially "eehhh might pass" over it I'm now going to buy 10 of them if it means we could potentially get more of the cast.

Seriously, I can't believe I spent so much on Bridget.

LiK

man, wtf is up with N-Y's shipping prices now? seems like they jacked them all up compared to AmiAmi and other retailers. kinda sucks cuz they still have pretty good prices but the shipping kills it for me. seems like most things i wanna buy have shipping for $30+ for EMS which is ridiculous.

omlet

Akuma Homura goes up for sale on the 23rd. Not sure when it'll be up on the International Store, but if you don't want to wait I'm sure N-Y and BiJ can help you.

Lovely.

Don't know who Homura is but if it wasn't for the moe face I would get the figure.

I've been curious about Madoka lol but with how Sugita reacted to the film it frightens me XD

That twitter picture is hilarious.

But yeah, go watch Madoka (the series--you can decide on watching the third movie eliciting those reactions later), it's a very good series. The art style is, you could almost say, a trap, and not indicative of the mood of the show.

Still, despite being a huge fan, I'm kind of the same way about the art style, in that I'm not a huge fan of it on its own, but in context of the show the art style is very effective. Outside, though, less so--aside from Ultimate Madoka figure (and now this Homura one), character goods for the show just aren't tempting at all to me because of the art style, yet the show itself is one of my all-time favorites.

Vooduu

I was just there at the end of March. I loved roaming around Tokyo and soaking up the experience. If you're willing to shop around, Akiba can take you a couple of days to visit all the shops.

When you're there, you're going to notice that each area has a certain vibe. Akihabara's vibe is very different from what you'll feel at Asakusa.

You're going to have a blast.

My only tip is to shop around before you pull your wallet out. Sometimes the first shop isn't the cheapest.

Sounds good! Thanks!

Hoping I can pick up a RAH Eva 01 cheaper than the resale/amazon prices here...

Hero

You're in the wrong place buddy.

But seriously, the source material Madoka Magica is surprisingly fantastic despite looking like super cute moe crap. It's on Netflix too.

Lovely.

But yeah, go watch Madoka (the series--you can decide on watching the third movie eliciting those reactions later), it's a very good series. The art style is, you could almost say, a trap, and not indicative of the mood of the show.

Still, despite being a huge fan, I'm kind of the same way about the art style, in that I'm not a huge fan of it on its own, but in context of the show the art style is very effective. Outside, though, less so--aside from Ultimate Madoka figure (and now this Homura one), character goods for the show just aren't tempting at all to me because of the art style, yet the show itself is one of my all-time favorites.

Yeah, I've been meaning to give the anime a watch but I was strictly speaking for figures. The aesthetics don't appeal to me.

Yeah, I've been meaning to give the anime a watch but I was strictly speaking for figures. The aesthetics don't appeal to me.
Its like Higurashi where the aesthetic is meant to be off putting.
(besides certain scenes) its trying to look like the typical magical girl stuff, which the show definitely isn't.

The 3rd movie is the best anime movie I have ever seen.

Tifa has also been revealed. I wasn't sure before whether I'd get her but I love the look of it so far, pretty sure I'll be getting this.

tifa_zps12b4cb20.jpg
Bnzn-C7IUAAy7l2.jpg

Jesus Christ they are just going to keep remaking FF7 characters over and over till the end of time.
Please SquareEnix!

LiK

What is it with you guys and Play-Arts? It's like you keep going back to dat bitch that always cheated on you.

This cannot be stated enough. P-AK are TERRIBLE in quality. They look fantastic in promo shots, yes, but that's it.

stop generalizing. not all P-A are bad. In terms of the more recent ones, the Mass Effect 3 series 2 (FemShep/Tali/Garrus) and all their Halo figures have been excellent. Even their MGR Raiden was amazing. I own them all. The main problem with them these days are the prices which is the main reason why I stopped collecting them.

and hey, if you can find a Fran figure out there, feel free to post them. Beggars can't be choosers.

They were originally awesome

Their KH and FFAC line were also great and consistent. The issues started when they started messing around with the scales and also adding airbrushing to their figures.

NateDog

Vincent PAK was superb, and so was Grey Fox and Solid Snake (although I didn't get the chance to get Solid Snake myself yet). The only real issue I have seen with some of their latest stuff is the face painting which in some cases can be atrocious and you'd wonder how it got past QC, but that can be fixed (although it shouldn't be forgotten obviously).

LiK

Vincent PAK was superb, and so was Grey Fox and Solid Snake (although I didn't get the chance to get Solid Snake myself yet). The only real issue I have seen with some of their latest stuff is the face painting which in some cases can be atrocious and you'd wonder how it got past QC, but that can be fixed (although it shouldn't be forgotten obviously).

Grey Fox was excellent, I wish I ordered a second one to resell. Solid Snake's face is a mess tho. I'm tempted to sell him cuz I still have him in the box. He's worth a ridiculous amount of money now.

I own Solid Snake, he is one of the most disappointing to me
Terrible scale with other MGS figures.
Ultra Chun-li thighs
The dark paint around his eyes.

NateDog

Well like I said I didn't actually get Solid, didn't know that about his scale though, especially considering his going price at the moment.

WolfStark

I own Lupo, Lara Croft, FemShep, Harley Quinn and Meryl Silverburgh and they are all pretty decent figures. Play Arts Kai suffers from bad quality controll, bad politics regarding their scale and rising prices that just don't justify the figures anymore. I sometimes have the feeling, the figures are only so big to have an excuse for the price. Play Arts Kai isn't the worst company out there, I like all my gals from them but if there is one word describing PAK it's "chance". As long as you're cautious and maybe even have the possibility to take a look at the figure in person, you can get a pretty cool figure but if you just buy from the internet it's a risk. BUT it's a lesser risk today as it was a few years ago but on the other hand, now the prices are to high.

Their KH and FFAC line were also great and consistent. The issues started when they started messing around with the scales and also adding airbrushing to their figures.
Yup
Oh man the scales...
_P002F01.jpg

And then the Lightning Returns figure was larger than the original, why is scale so hard for them these days

So glad Nathan Drake and Lara are actually scale though, made the horrible Nate worth it.

Haven't been in this thread for a while, just caught up and...

It's done and just in time for the new thread. Giolon came up with the original, I just remade it with Nendoroids.

kt6lrxo.png

Giolon?

My heart breaks at how quickly my moment of glory has been forgotten (it's only been 5 months!!). It's ok though, I won't cry... :*(

Yours is better though. I like how you incorporated them into the background. That's awesome.

My one and only useful contribution to any thread, ever.

Oh my god, this is awesome. I thought I was going to be able to be out of the figure market for a while. Must remember:

Couple of things while I catch up with the thread:

F play arts-kai.

And is that Red nendoroid for pre order yet?

Edit: oh goddammit, just went back a page and saw Fran from FFXII. My lonely Balthier will finally have a companion. I think the only thing that can keep me from getting her is if they charge $99.

LiK

Couple of things while I catch up with the thread:

F play arts-kai.

And is that Red nendoroid for pre order yet?

Edit: oh goddammit, just went back a page and saw Fran from FFXII. My lonely Balthier will finally have a companion. I think the only thing that can keep me from getting her is if they charge $99.

we'll be lucky if she's $99. fucking P-As been going for more than that.

we'll be lucky if she's $99. fucking P-As been going for more than that.

Really? I thought the Dragoon knight was $99 and that was the most expensive so far.

Oh! Another thing is what will her scale be to Balthier. Probably gonna tower over thin since he was a regular PA figure. :(

Luigi87

I miss the pre-Kai line of Play-Arts...
Sure they were less articulate, less joints, but they were cheaper, and their quality seemed more consistent... Oh, and they released KH figures too... *still annoyed at lack of Aqua figure*

cajunator

Banned
Lovely.

Man...Ume Aoki is one of my all time favorite character designers. She also did Hidamari Sketch. In fact when people found out Ume was designing for Madoka and Urobuchi was involved they started calling it Chidamari Sketch (bloody sketch)

omlet

Man...Ume Aoki is one of my all time favorite character designers. She also did Hidamari Sketch. In fact when people found out Ume was designing for Madoka and Urobuchi was involved they started calling it Chidamari Sketch (bloody sketch)

I know, and I like Hidamari, too. Wideface is cute. I don't dislike her designs, I just am not a big fan of them in terms of character goods, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom