• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Nomura Confirms Combat is Action Based

action-based, turn-based, i think the difference isn't really as big as people make it out to be. you are still mashing a button to tell your character what to do. it's just now you can hold that button down instead of waiting for a minute for everybody to take their turns.

JayEH

I'm feeling extra dumb today.

What's the difference between an action versus a command?

When I read command, I'm thinking Crisis Core where there are literal attack and magic "commands" you have to toggle between and select.

When I read action, I'm thinking XV where circle is attack, square is defend/phase.

I guess I'm confused because if Nomura says it's action, then it'd be (in my mind) closely resembling XV, but the screenshots I've seen look much more command-based, with attack, magic, and other options being select-able (which look more like Crisis Core).

Think KH. Action based gameplay but there is still a command menu present.

LordKasual

Banned
I feel like AAA devs are missing out on flash potential with Turn based combat.

With turn based its possible to make battles really impressive graphically without sacrificing playability and strategy.

And it doesn't have to be slow or clunky either.It could be amazing.

Just wish someone would give it a shot on modern hardware with AAA money.

This is going to make you specifically very angry

But really graphically impressive real-time battles are possible too

Just look at FFXV :)

Trolling aside, i actually agree with you to an extent. If a game like FFXV rendered its battles in instanced spaces and funneled the majority of its resources into pushing pure visuals, it would probably look absolutely mindblowing.

Thats what I thought FFVII remake was going to be -- Turn based interface that controls real-time, AI-controlled action sequences.

But I guess Square figures that if they're able to render action combat at all, they might as well put you in full control of it.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
better be footage at E3 or we Wyatt
tumblr_n3piubjYOw1sbzhteo3_400.gif

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I would be happy with an faster pace ATB system like FFX-2.

I don't particularly have faith in their action-based combat.

Fuck all that! Holding (preferably mashing) circle and watching shit fly across the screen with a few warp strikes for good measure is great fun. Mindlessly flashy, but at the same time very bulky and weighty. No substance to it at all and none needed, just straight up CHAOS

So it's the combat equivelant of fireworks. Great!

Arkeband

Banned
I really dislike that you're making up arguments that make no sense. It's actually really annoying me. You keep saying that being over-leveled in an ARPG coupled with button-mashing makes it meaningless, but being over-leveled in a turned-based RPG is somehow different? FYI I always button-mash in turn-based RPGs because once I am strong enough there requires no strategy in some games.

Stop arguing for the hell of it if it makes no sense.

I really can't believe someone is trying to argue that actively managing time constrained battle is somehow easier than taking all the time in the world to make a decision in a non-time constrained turn-based RPG. Really, it depends on the game, so stop making sweeping statements that paints all ARPGs one way and turned-based RPGs another.

The problem as I just pointed out above, is that in FFXV you don't require strategy of any kind whether you're under or overleveled, you approach combat the exact same way every single time.

Even worse, when there are moments when they could have created interesting boss fights, for example an entire chapter is just a fight with a Malboro and instead of using this fight, which has a static arena, to have interesting mechanics, they just made it an unwinnable fight that ends with a QTE. It involves no skill, no strategy, it makes no use of mechanics you learn through fighting regular battles. It's just a health sponge waste of time.

The only boss fight in the game where they properly mix spectacle with mechanics is Aranea, except it's still clunky as fuck and you're left fighting the camera more than the boss itself. From that point on, it's purely QTE's and whittling down health sponges the same exact way you'd whittle down field enemies.

Good RPG game design (really, any genre game design) teaches you mechanics and then presents you with a boss as a challenge to make use of the mechanics you just learned. Trial and error. Because the game puts fail states so out of reach unless you're a complete idiot, there really is no trial and error, there's just 'whack it till its dead'.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
The problem as I just pointed out above, is that in FFXV you don't require strategy of any kind whether you're under or overleveled, you approach combat the exact same way every single time.

Even worse, when there are moments when they could have created interesting boss fights, for example an entire chapter is just a fight with a Malboro and instead of using this fight, which has a static arena, to have interesting mechanics, they just made it an unwinnable fight that ends with a QTE. It involves no skill, no strategy, it makes no use of mechanics you learn through fighting regular battles. It's just a health sponge waste of time.

The only boss fight in the game where they properly mix specetacle with mechanics is Aranea, except it's still clunky as fuck and you're left fighting the camera more than the boss itself. From that point on, it's purely QTE's and whittling down health sponges the same exact way you'd whittle down field enemies.

Okay, but that's one game. It is not a standard.

Pejo

Really disappointed, this means you'll only be controlling one character at a time. I think it was confirmed a while ago that there are multiple playable characters still, right?

Still, bums me right out.

Branduil

Not surprised, it's pretty obvious they don't believe in making turn-based Final Fantasy any more. I guess I'll skip this then.

Koozek

7-12 still involved strategy, there isn't a single fight in FFXV outside maybe some of the 99 floor filler post-game dungeons where you have to actually think about what gear you're wearing or what weapons to use, your stack of potions and the grace period when you hit 0 HP will ensure you never die while you hold some O.

'but the old games u just pressed X', yeah, that's the select button for an entire command menu - a far cry from a singular attack button that doesn't even have button press combos in an ARPG.

FFXV's combat is only impressive to people who have never touched other ARPG's to understand how much it sucks.
When people say "you only pressed X" they mean "you only selected 'Attack'" from the command menu (the default menu selection), which is true for majority of non-boss-battles in FFs since at least FFVI. You can do more, but you don't have to. Tbf, probably the same with FFXV in most main story battles, yeah (especially with Control Type B where it felt like you almost couldn't miss any dodge/parry windows when you just held down L1 whiling attacking). You can button-mash in FFXV, or you could play stylishly by using dodge rolls, blindside attacks, Air Step, Blink Boost, Impervious etc.

I don't see how FFVII-XII involved more strategy outside of boss-battles. When have you replayed them lately?

HeelPower

This is going to make you specifically very angry

But really graphically impressive real-time battles are possible too

Just look at FFXV :)

Trolling aside, i actually agree with you to an extent. If a game like FFXV rendered its battles in instanced spaces and funneled the majority of its resources into pushing pure visuals, it would probably look absolutely mindblowing.

Thats what I thought FFVII remake was going to be -- Turn based interface that controls real-time, AI-controlled action sequences.

But I guess Square figures that if they're able to render action combat at all, they might as well put you in full control of it.

I agree with you!

The worst part of action based systems is that you're shoehorned into one character at a time. The feeling of having full control of your party is something that helps make those different characters shine that without often makes any character feel completely interchangeable. Makes me wonder how they'll handle limit breaks.

I thought FFXV's battle system was very fun and intuitive, so that's great! Just hope the magic system in FFVII:R is based on Materia.

GOOCHY

driveby? fuck no. Ive been wanting an FF7 remake since 2006, for them to taunt me with a remake then present a game calling itself a remake without even having the decency to be in the same genre, fuck em. I'm not buying this shit

It's not like the original has disappeared from the planet. If you want to play it turn based just play the original. PS4 has a PC port that also has the sped up turn based options.

Arkeband

Banned
When people say "you only pressed X" they mean "you only selected 'Attack'" from the command menu (the default menu selection), which is true for majority of non-boss-battles in FFs since at least FFVI. You can do more, but you don't have to. Same with FFXV in most battles, to be fair, yeah. You can button-mash in FFXV, or you could play stylishly by using dodge rolls, blindside attacks, Air Step, Blink Boost, Impervious etc.

I don't see how FFVII-XII involved more strategy outside of boss-battles. When have you replayed them lately?

Even if that were true, as there are clear examples of random battles requiring the use of magic and abilities to kill monsters optimally throughout the games we're talking about, we're conceding that FFXV doesn't involve strategy in the few boss battles it has. Which, for Final Fantasy fans, should be unforgivable, but alas.

The things you listed as stylish are pretty subjective - and Impervious and air combat are mechanics locked behind hundreds and hundreds of AP, so it's not something you'd get to experience through normal gameplay, they're post-game mechanics that basically just make grinding levels for the sake of grinding levels easier.

It's not like the original has disappeared from the planet. If you want to play it turn based just play the original. PS4 has a PC port that also has the sped up turn based options.

One of the primary reasons people wanted FF7 to be remade is because they want their positive experiences with it to be experienced by new generations of gamers - the original FF7 is, unfortunately, a fucking eyesore and by modern game design standards it could absolutely be tightened up. If you're looking for a 'definitive' way to experience FF7, the PS4 re-release adds cheat codes to your face buttons to bypass game systems, removing the 'game' from the 'game', that you can turn on by accident. To me, that's absolutely unacceptable. Someone playing a game with infinite HP and only ever executing limit breaks aren't playing Final Fantasy 7, they're playing Telltale's Final Fantasy 7. At that point you might as well just be watching a Let's Play.

sucks but i don't expect a good turn based battle sys from them anyway for the next 5 years. FFXV was so garbage in the battle departement. don't fuck this up. not everyone wants mushy autowin battles. you should do better than that with your most anticipated game. you already sacrificed XV.

atbigelow

Worried they're going to fuck up the whole game by doing this.

The problem with all the "good" examples (KH, FFXV) is that you never control more than one person. If they have to make that same sacrifice in this to appease their decision, it's going to become a game that isn't FF7.

LordKasual

Banned
That is exactly why people are scared... FFXV is the bad example of battle system.

Nah, I disagree. XV shows a glimpse of the full potential of what Final Fantasy battles could be like. People are just unable to think outside the little hate box they've generated in their heads when it comes to how it applies to FF7:R.

Just look at the difference in attacks and animations in FF7:R and FFXV. Noctis uses slower, grounded, weighted attacks. With the exception of warpstriking or airstepping, majority of his animations are deliberate and entirely performable by actual humans in real life. His strikes mostly only hit one single enemy. The greatsword is super slow and requires commitment. There is air combat, but no launching or juggling. Medium to Large enemies only flinch if you manage to hit them in the right area or render them vulnerable.

By contrast, look at Cloud's attacks in the remake. He's swinging that giant sword around like its a twig, hitting everything around him with blazing fast combos. The reason XV's combat probably feels "clunky" or like it "falls apart" during encounters with tons of enemies is because Noctis is not offensively equipped to be a one-man army outside of Armiger or alot of experience controlling him. The game intends for you to cycle between offense and defense, and the Team Commands are intended to fill in Noctis' weakspots.

If Noctis could jump 50 feet into the air, double jump, glide, launch enemies, have zero cooldown on his attacks, hit everything surrounding him easily and operate with no stamina, then people would have probably been singing a different tune. Because then he basically would have been Sora, your teammates would have been as useless as Goofy/Donald comparatively, and although the game would have been braindead, at least you would be controlling a power fantasy anime character.

Noctis was not a power fantasy anime character. Cloud Strife definitely is. XV's combat system would be great for FF7:R. It could basically be Advent Children : The Game.

^^LordKasual don't do this aren't you tired of going back and forth with the same ppl since last year..

Man at first i thought so

But just typing these silly replies makes time fly by at work so fast that I think i'm starting to enjoy it

RedZaraki

Banned
I honestly think there's no way to satisfy both crowds.

But if they want to min-max sales, turn-based would probably have confused/pissed off more people than full action. Unless they straight up devote resources to some "Wait Mode" type of feature or something.

Oh well, it'll be different. Original game still exists so no big deal.

gngf123

I honestly think there's no way to satisfy both crowds.

But if they want to min-max sales, turn-based would probably have confused/pissed off more people than full action. Unless they straight up devote resources to some "Wait Mode" type of feature or something.

Oh well, it'll be different. Original game still exists so no big deal.

The term I think you are looking for is "real time with pause".

NolbertoS

I think it was obvious that FFVII R would be action based. I will pass up on that so Nomura wont ruin my childhood memories, but almost all FF are leaning towards being more WRPGish

As long as Nomura stays the hell away from the DQ series, he can experiment on FF all he wants.

Considering I beat most of FFXV by holding down the attack button, pressing down R1 + Triangle over and over again... eh. I never had a problem fighting as if my party members didn't even exist and I barely changed things up. I literally didn't put any points into Noctis' combat nodes outside of increased warp strike damage either. Maybe you can switch it up if you want, but the combat in that game can be about as brain-dead as you want it to be, and I say that as someone who enjoyed the game.

RedZaraki

Banned
I think we can all admit that vanilla FF7 isnt the shining example of turn based depth

Its on the easy side for the majority of the game

I still love the mechanical gameplay though and the toolbox at our disposal

That's what I'm getting at.

It wasn't remotely a difficult game in the first place. Turn-based or not. I wouldn't be surprised if the remake is actually more difficult.

HeelPower

Lordkasual c'mon,XV's combat doesn't get enough criticism ,if anything.

Awful Camera and Lock on problems are objective technical flaws in that combat.

Even once you get past that,its riddled with mind numbing design decisions ,and balance problems.It also lacks variety and depth.

But we've already talked through this a million times ,and everyone made up their minds about it.

Like what you like.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I've played and enjoyed VII so much that I really don't mind huge changes in a remake. Experiment away. If I want to experience the original I can play it again. Playing the exact same game again but with updated presentation would be a cool novelty, but would honestly get boring and seem pointless to me.

I honestly have no idea why this game is being name.

It's going to be FF7 in name only, since I also have zero faith in Square recreating that world today, and given that the gameplay isn't going to be remotely similar at all.

Manbig

It's a good thing that Atlus is still around to prove that you can still do great turn based JRPG combat instead of the pseudo-action RPG dogshit that modern Square Enix likes to pump out.

I've played and enjoyed VII so much that I really don't mind huge changes in a remake. Experiment away. If I want to experience the original I can play it again. Playing the exact same game again but with updated presentation would be a cool novelty, but would honestly get boring and seem pointless to me.

I can't agree with this. I'm not so sure people are clamoring for the exact same game, but just with updated graphics.

A remake of a classic should be doubling down on what made it great and adding stuff that enhances though, not experimenting with poorly thought out and implemented action mechanics, like they've always done. This is why the Resident Evil remake is still the gold standard.

benjammin

Really disappointing honestly. Why remake a game with a completely different battle system? Especially when FF15's combat was bang average at absolute best. I'm holding out very little hope that this game will be an improvement over the original. But the graphics should be great!

muteki

when we were all talking about this fifteen years ago, is this what we were talking about? a final fantasy 7 action RPG?

this is what people wanted?

There are not enough people who talked about this fifteen years ago that still are around and buy games to fund a project of this scale.

And if you want to sell to other people, it has to be action based.

But hey, persona is still around and it's great!

Koozek

Even if that were true, as there are clear examples of random battles requiring the use of magic and abilities to kill monsters optimally throughout the games we're talking about, we're conceding that FFXV doesn't involve strategy in the few boss battles it has. Which, for Final Fantasy fans, should be unforgivable, but alas.
I definitely don't think FFXV's battle-system is perfect, even though I enjoyed it on some level, like, the flow of it when you were warping in and out quickly, using Party Techniques, doing party combos etc. It might not be apparent, but deep down I actually do agree with a lot of the criticism you mentioned in the last few months - it is very flawed, though I think a few smaller changes could already go a long way to improve it. However, I also think you're highly overselling older FFs' strategic depth - they've never been the pinnacle of turn-based combat, anway. If you had to use "Fire" on a blue, ice-y monster in very few battles every once in a while to kill them more quickly, I don't necessarily call that "depth". Rather that's "rote memorization" of simple patterns (to quote fellow GAFer Vincent Grayson).

Generally, I'd rather have a button-mashy action-based battle-system than a button-mashy turn-based if could choose, tbh. At least having direct control makes it "feel" more involving.

Honestly, the only "turn-based" FF combat I've ever felt highly involved and engaged with, and not only in boss-battles, was LR. I think they could build something incredibly fun upon that combining snappiness and strategicness (having to macro-/ and micro-manage your spell loadout). I actually expected FFVIIR to have something similar, but with more freedom of movement. Now I'm not sure anymore. We'll see with the next trailer.
The things you listed as stylish are pretty subjective - and Impervious and air combat are mechanics locked behind hundreds and hundreds of AP, so it's not something you'd get to experience through normal gameplay, they're post-game mechanics that basically just make grinding levels for the sake of grinding levels easier.
Fair point.

Really disappointing honestly. Why remake a game with a completely different battle system? Especially when FF15's combat was bang average at absolute best. I'm holding out very little hope that this game will be an improvement over the original. But the graphics should be great!
What does FFXV's combat have to do with this? FFVIIR is made by completely different people with more experience in action-based battle-systems (Nomura, and CyberConnect2 from Naruto fame).

Seems there was some mistranslation in Magic interview, Nomura reiterates that remake's combat system will be based on action system, not command based

LOL, go fuck off with that shit. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Guess I'll be saving my money & will only be watching it on YouTube for the story.

RedZaraki

Banned
For the Record I thought FFXV battle system was actually good.

Felt like Devil May Cry or something.

If you can read enemy attacks you can obliterate them.

Boogiepop

Already thought this was confirmed, but yeah, definitely disappointed. It's not a remake at all, IMO, but a reimagining. Effectively a brand new game with the trappings of VII slapped onto it. That could still be a good game, but it's certainly not a remake of VII.

Honestly, I think VII's kind of a victim of its own success here, that this had to become some huge project. Because IMO VII really could have used a remake that tightens things up and cleans up the many rough edges it has, far more than any other FF game. Just like, a 3DS game or something that tightened it up like III and IV DS did would've done it some good. Meanwhile, this is a full on new game that's awkwardly stuck to the trappings of VII, and I feel like that effort would be better off spent on something entirely new, rather than this sort of half step.

Like, at least to me, this feels like kind of the worst of both worlds. Could still end up as a good game, but at least for my tastes, this is a real dumb decision (likely brought about by the sorts of people who feel like story is everything for an RPG, and those who think turn based is "outdated," both of which I really disagree with).

benjammin

What does FFXV's combat have to do with this? FFVIIR is made by completely different people with more experience in action-based battle-systems (Nomura, and CyberConnect2 from Naruto fame).

... Seriously? It's the most recent Final Fantasy and it also happens to be the turning point in the series where we moved from ATB to a brand new combat system. There are going to be comparisons regardless of which team is responsible. And my whole point was that I wish they hadn't scrapped the ATB system as it's far superior to what was used in FF15. I sincerely hope that this combat system will be better, but in my eyes it's an unnecessary change that will almost certainly make the game worse off.

Top Bottom