• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Nomura Confirms Combat is Action Based

aren't they adding more work to their already abysmal strategy of waiting this long to make the game by making it action base than commands?

You know FF7 Remake, we truly are a skin for KH3

Ok now name a remake of those games that changes is gameplay from one form to another

Now name a remake that had to change the whole GFX engine .
Going to have to add tons of cut scene and voice acting .
That going to cost as much as most AAA games today .

As i said before you really can't comapre what FF7 doing to most other remakes\remasters.

If there a opposite to JRPG, that would be Dark Souls.

It seems like you think everything is a JRPG. Those are all dramatically different games.

There all JRPGs just under different sub genres.

Now name a remake that had to change the whole GFX engine .
Going to have to add tons of cut scene and voice acting .
That going to cost as much as most AAA games today .

As i said before you really can't comapre what FF7 doing to most other remakes\remasters.

Yeah there really wont be anything like it

Again Im interested to see what they do here

Just surprised by what a departure and change this will be

Nah. I want FFVII made new again. Not just the same old shit but prettier and rebalanced. There's no point to that.
this is the same dumb shit said repeatedly when anyone mentions wanting it to still be turn based. The genre has far more options than repeating FFVII's same ATB. Doesnt need to be a new genre to be a remake with a new take on the game.

GLAMr

Well, that's going to save me $80. Thanks for shitting in your long term fans yet again, SE. This was basically my biggest concern regarding the remake, and it has come to pass.

Koozek

No dude

The distinction of the sub-genre

There is a clear difference between Secret of Mana's gameplay and Final Fantasy 4-6 for example

Action Rpg...... Turn Based RPG. How would you categorize Final Fantasy Tactics?

This language is not new
OT, but fun fact: Secret of Mana started out as a FFIV prototype because they wanted to go the action-based route after FFIII.
Hiromichi Tanaka:
From FFI and on, we would always look at the previous games for things we felt could have been better. FFI had an orthodox design, while II featured a narrative story plus a brand new growth system that didn't use experience points. FFIII had jobs you could switch between while you fought, the ability to cast multi-target spells, and other such gameplay tempo improvements, as well as more fully-refined experience and battle systems.

After we finished FFIII, we started FFIV with the idea of a slightly more action-based, dynamic overworld rather than keep combat as a completely separate thing. But, at some point, it wound up not being IV anymore... Instead, it was eventually released as ”Seiken Densetsu 2" (Secret of Mana), but during development it was actually referred to as ”Chrono Trigger". (laugh)

At the time, just after FFIII, we were working with Mr. Toriyama on a game with a seamless, side-view system. A CD-ROM attachment for the Super Famicom was scheduled to be released, you see. So we had this enormous game planned out for the CD-ROM attachment, but ultimately we were never able to release it.

So we had the Chrono Trigger project changed to a new game, and this other game we had been working on was condensed down into Seiken Densetsu 2. Because of this, Seiken 2 always felt like a sequel to FFIII to me.

Final Fantasy VII battle gameplay has been way outclassed by now. It was ok back in 97 when we didn't know anu better, but it, in terms of quality, it wouldn't hold up against today's competition.

Let Dragon Quest be the series for the people who want to live in the past. I'm glad to see Final Fantasy moving on

Final Fantasy VII battle gameplay has been way outclassed by now. It was ok back in 97 when we didn't know anu better, but it, in terms of quality, it wouldn't hold up against today's competition.

Let Dragon Quest be the series for the people who want to live in the past. I'm glad to see Final Fantasy moving on

Bravely Default, Persona, Various Dungeon crawler games

What the Shit is this

We should drop genres and gametypes based on some bizarre perception that only Action Rpgs are modern?

The fuck?

ghostjoke

Banned
Not surprising, but unless they've figured out a way to make the action combat feel purposeful and not all flash to fake meaningful player contribution, yawn. Looking at XV, I don't expect the experience of playing vs watching to be significant.

7's combat system had issues and this would have been a great opportunity to expand upon and balance it, but nope, another hybrid that'll likely be boring as sin to play. Maybe throw on a Platinum logo in the coming days and I'll be interested.

So lets remake every game in its image?

Im being facetious I know this game is going to be different

No not at all, I was just responding to a comment calling FFXV"s combat terrible when I think a majority of people and video game outlets praised it as being quite the opposite.

I don't give a shit what combat they choose going forward as long as it's well done and enjoyable to play.

Koozek

Well, that's going to save me $80. Thanks for shitting in your long term fans yet again, SE. This was basically my biggest concern regarding the remake, and it has come to pass.
It was clear since the first gameplay footage in late 2015 that it wouldn't be classic ATB. Where have you been? :D Still, I would wait for the next footage. Pretty sure it won't be action-based like Nier Automata or even FFXV and rather a more seamless, immediate evolution of ATB.

Also, you'd be saving 3 x $80 because it will be a trilogy of full games, releasing probably 2 years apart from each other.

Acid08

Banned
this is the same dumb shit said repeatedly when anyone mentions wanting it to still be turn based. The genre has far more options than repeating FFVII's same ATB. Doesnt need to be a new genre to be a remake with a new take on the game.
You know what's dumb? Knowing what this game is for a while now and still whining that you wish it was something else. Wanting something else is fine, that's just personal taste. That isn't what this game is though. They're taking it in a different direction, accept it and move on. We have so little information to go on right now that your super angry posturing about how you're definitely not going to buy it looks mega silly.

benjammin

We're moving on to a combat system that isn't as good as the original (if it even remotely resembles FF15) for a remake of a 20 year old game that's going to be released in multiple installments over the next half a decade. If that's moving on, then I'm completely fine with living in the past.

It was clear since the first gameplay footage in late 2015 that it wouldn't be classic ATB. Where have you been? :D Still, I would wait for the next footage. Pretty sure it won't be action-based like Nier Automata or even FFXV and rather a more seamless, immediate evolution of ATB.

Also, you'd be saving 3 x $80 because it will be a trilogy of full games, releasing probably 2 years apart from each other.

Ill take an ATB evolution

As long as I have full party control and can have exciting and strategic battles... Sign me up

I have enough full action rpgs in my future. I need my turn based love too

You know what's dumb? Knowing what this game is for a while now and still whining that you wish it was something else. Wanting something else is fine, that's just personal taste. That isn't what this game is though. They're taking it in a different direction, accept it and move on. We have so little information to go on right now that your super angry posturing about how you're definitely not going up buy it looks mega silly.
its a forum mate, airing displeasure is half the point. And due to mixed messaging until now I was unsure what to expect. This is the first time they have been clear.

right, I took it then and was pissed about it, but then thanks to interviews since then being completely mixed messaging. Things like "Its not really an action game", and the last few screenshots showing things that didnt quite make sense for an action game, I had a bit of hope. This is the first clear messaging, first thing that smashes the last of that hope.

Lothar

Banned

Lol, he says this like he actually believes the best RPGs are coming out today. Lmao.

Acid08

Banned
its a forum mate, airing displeasure is half the point. And due to mixed messaging until now I was unsure what to expect. This is the first time they have been clear.

right, I took it then and was pissed about it, but then thanks to interviews since then being completely mixed messaging. Things like "Its not really an action game", and the last few screenshots showing things that didnt quite make sense for an action game, I had a bit of hope. This is the first clear messaging, first thing that smashes the last of that hope.
You don't even know what "action based" means here. You refer to it as an action game but that's different from an action BASED game which leaves room for other elements as well. This still isn't clear messaging and I suspect we won't actually get a clear answer to any of this until we get Nomura sitting down and actually explaining real footage of the game.

DirtyCase

I think what the Nomura defense force doesn't realize, is how important the turn-based gameplay is to the pacing of the game. The turn-based battles give the game a contemplative, dignified pace. After the death of Aeris, the turn-based battle against Jenova Life gives the player a chance to reflect on the momentous events that just transpired. It strengthens the game's deep themes and Shakespearean script. Replacing that with a button-mash fest would ruin the moment's quiet dignity. It would fit in a class-less Western game that's all about tits and bad-ass sword, but here it is as jarring as snowboarding scene would have been right after the deaths of Romeo and Juliet

Calling everyone who doesnt agree that the remake needs to be turned based to still be good, the "Nomura defense force" is rediculous. I could care less about Nomura but am of the mind that it will be a refreshing and worthwhile take on combat. After playing ff vii for like the 6th time last year, to me the one thing I least look forward to going back to is the turn based combat.

The claim that action combat as opposed to turn based will ruin the "shakespearean script" or make it jarring is just pure speculation on your part. Implementation is everything and we will have to wait and see.

What the Shit is this

We should drop genres and gametypes based on some bizarre perception that only Action Rpgs are modern?

The fuck?

I never said that. I like action rpg gameplay, that's true. But I would also be ok with real-time command RPG gameplay like FFX, FFXII and FXIII or even turn-based RPG gameplay if it's cleverly designed and allows for tactical battles like FFX.

What I specifically dislike is the type of turn based command RPG brain-dead hold-cross-to-win gameplay found in FFIV to FFIX. Those were the dark days in terms of Final Fantasy battle design as far as I am concerned

Lol, he says this like he actually believes the best RPGs are coming out today. Lmao.

Demon's Souls, Dark Souls II, and Bloodborne are all in my top 5 list of RPGs of all time. I'm hoping Nier Automata will join them

So, yes, that is what I believe. We are living in the golden age of JRPGs right now

Whompa02

It amazes me how absolutely enraged FF fans get when discussing action combat. It's almost comical.

Agreed. Seeing people crying over this is pretty amazing. And this is coming from someone who put a couple hundred hours of FF7 as a kid.

I personally don't care how they do it at this point. I had a great experience and I'm down for something fresh and different.

Acid08

Banned
I think what the Nomura defense force doesn't realize, is how important the turn-based gameplay is to the pacing of the game. The turn-based battles give the game a contemplative, dignified pace. After the death of Aeris, the turn-based battle against Jenova Life gives the player a chance to reflect on the momentous events that just transpired. It strengthens the game's deep themes and Shakespearean script. Replacing that with a button-mash fest would ruin the moment's quiet dignity. It would fit in a class-less Western game that's all about tits and bad-ass sword, but here it is as jarring as snowboarding scene would have been right after the deaths of Romeo and Juliet
This is literally the most funny post I've ever read on this god forsaken website.

What made the FF series popular in the first place was having Turn-Based/ATB gameplay.

You never fix what's broken.

Bravely Default, Persona, Various Dungeon crawler games

What the shit is this

The fuck?

We're moving on to a combat system that isn't as good as the original (if it even remotely resembles FF15) for a remake of a 20 year old game that's going to be released in multiple installments over the next half a decade. If that's moving on, then I'm completely fine with living in the past.

I wish that there was a like button for these kind of posts.

Plus ARPG's aren't exactly very new; They've also been around since the 80's.

The Sum of Zero

Gold Member
Haven't read through the thread, but am I right in assuming 50+% of the posts equate to "MUH TURN BASED" or random shitting on FFXV?

Seriously, you want the ATB turn-based battle, play the damn original or the PS4 port. Or on your phone or PS3/VITA.

You don't even know what "action based" means here. You refer to it as an action game but that's different from an action BASED game which leaves room for other elements as well. This still isn't clear messaging and I suspect we won't actually get a clear answer to any of this until we get Nomura sitting down and actually explaining real footage of the game.
but its still an action game, they are clear about that now. I play a metric fuckton of action games of all types. Its not like I dont enjoy them, its just thats not what ffvii is, and definitely not what I want ffvii to turn into. They could have come up with the best action combat ever made and its still not ffvii. Made more depressing by the current state of turn based games.

look man, I dont want to get into our normal routine, so I will just try and be really clear why this is so frustrating to me. You don't have to agree, but I will just see if I can get you to understand my point of view here.

First, I find no common ground between a turn based RPG and an action RPG. The RPG element here is very clearly overridden by the approach to combat. Within those approaches combat varies wildly. Tales of, witcher 3, nier automata, FFXV, and bloodborne all play very differently but are also distinctly action games. Just like Bravely Default, FFVII, FFX, legend of heroes, persona, and xenosaga episode 1 all play differently but have that distinct feeling of issue commands. Ripping out the command based combat of FFVII and replacing it with an action combat system completely changes the feeling of the game, whereas if it was some new command system it would still feel like FFVII.

Add in that the entire genre has been relegated to nothing but low budget and handheld games and it just gets more frustrating. Bravely default is a great game, but what every scene play out with the characters barely animated in front of a static background with text at the bottom really doesnt capture the same grandeur that FF had built up. Even a game like persona still uses a lot of text boxes and face cuts as opposed to animated scenes. A remake of FFVII felt like a chance to hearken back, give the final fantasy turn based games another hurrah since it feels like the series is going to permanently genre shift after FFXV.

Add in the Final Fantasy VII is my favorite game of all time
and I partially credit it with saving my life as a child (not a joke or exaggeration either...)
makes my attachment to it and the reaction to the choices they are making with this remake stronger than they probably should be.

NOOOOooOooooOOOOOOoOo

Fuck yeah. KH style please.

200.webp

Oh God, I dunno why, but your reaction made me LOL so abruptly that it felt like someone punched me in the bladder. XD

ethomaz

Banned
They going to have to do much more work on the FF7 remake than a RE one .
Hell FF7 back in the day cost as much as a lot of AAA games today.
No way is the RE remake even close .
Just because the game is smaller is your excuse lol

REmake did all FFVII is trying to do without change the genre.

What made the FF series popular in the first place was having Turn-Based/ATB gameplay.

You never fix what's broken.

lol no, it was better storytelling than what was offered by most of the competition at the time

luckily, now that they no longer know how to tell good stories, they have learnt how to make fun moment-to-moment gameplay

Action combat is fine, but if they use some version of the FFXV engine I hope they can somehow fix the camera. That shit is atrocious! All kinds of zooming in, out, and around constantly. I turned the difficulty down to easy just to make battles end faster.

JZA

lol no, it was better storytelling than what was offered by most of the competition at the time

luckily, now that they no longer know how to tell good stories, they have learnt how to make fun moment-to-moment gameplay

It's hard going back to the Final Fantasy series for story after playing more westernized RPG's like Skyrim, Dragon Age, and Mass Effect. As much as the FF art style and settings appear cool, I've always found the FF stories a struggle to understand and there's only so much cringe I can take. I was hoping this FF7 remake would make the story more coherent but that hope is fading.

Just because the game is smaller is your excuse lol

REmake did all FFVII is trying to do without change the genre.

It's not a excuse it's part of the reason it change .
This game going to cost a lot and SE think this will give it better sales .
Not to mention Nomura likes action base combat more.

I should also note sales wise RE make sales were not that good and SE would be aiming for much higher .

Top Bottom