• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Nomura Confirms Combat is Action Based

But that is fine... not everybody needs to like the same things... there are different games with different genre for everybody.

Now you get a game with a huge fan base that expect years to play the game with more modens graphic appeal and says to them they will change the genre of the game that they loved.

Looks to me like give the middle finger to fans... that is what SE did.

Maybe to some fans but this is the FF7 remake i always wanted .
I play all type of RPGs but i like action base more than others .

RedZaraki

Banned
Everything I've seen of this remake tells me not to bother with it. I'll stick with the original. None of the real time combat systems this company has produced have interested me.

I don't even like the visual translation from those glorious old pre rendered backgrounds to what it looks like now thus far.

Be honest.

You'd have hated it no matter what. Just play the PS4 port.

I think what the Nomura defense force doesn't realize, is how important the turn-based gameplay is to the pacing of the game. The turn-based battles give the game a contemplative, dignified pace. After the death of Aeris, the turn-based battle against Jenova Life gives the player a chance to reflect on the momentous events that just transpired. It strengthens the game's deep themes and Shakespearean script. Replacing that with a button-mash fest would ruin the moment's quiet dignity. It would fit in a class-less Western game that's all about tits and bad-ass sword, but here it is as jarring as snowboarding scene would have been right after the deaths of Romeo and Juliet

Koozek

The last pictures shared on GAF give me hopes due that ATB bar.
It won't be Bayonetta/DmC and I assume it'll be even action-based than FFXV with no timed dogdes/parries and precise positioning and targeting. Probably just like a mix of FFXII and LR. Seamless battles and designated buttons instead of being menu-driven. So as long as there's also the Materia system and many spells, I don't think it'll be "a different genre" as some like you fear. Just a more immediate and seamless version of ATB.

SaniOYOYOY

This begs the question.

What audience is this game trying to appeal to? There changing the story, redoing the gameplay and is going to be an episodic.

If I wanted a action combat Final Fantasy game i would play XV.

people who intrigue with the legendary ff7 but are bored to death from atb

aka me

Mandoric

Banned
Only indirectly related, but:

FFVII wasn't turn-based. Most of the Final Fantasy games, and many other JRPGs, are not turn-based. Not being turn-based is exactly what the phrase Active Time Battle (ATB) is trying to get across. It's like people look at a JRPG, recognize its form, but then call that form the entirely wrong thing.

What people call "turn-based" is actually no or simple movement or positioning in a tactics game (usually menu-driven). Characters don't move in combat. There may be some sort of distance mechanic, but it's often abstracted into 2 or 3 simple "ranks", or is highly incidental/random. Has pretty much nothing to do with time.

(XI, XIII, and XIV were big departures, dipping into lock-on/auto-attack MMO-style, while XV has gone full-blown action game.)

Really, really have to disagree with this. ATB is just as turn-based as, say, the FF10 or FFT charge time systems; it's not full-on "everyone moves once before anyone moves again" but essentially the only difference between the two is that FF10 forces you to Wait mode/ATB assumes that not acting within the first couple seconds is a deliberate Wait command.

I think what the Nomura defense force doesn't realize, is how important the turn-based gameplay is to the pacing of the game. The turn-based battles give the game a contemplative, dignified pace. After the death of Aeris, the turn-based battle against Jenova Life gives the player a chance to reflect on the momentous events that just transpired. It strengthens the game's deep themes and Shakespearean script. Replacing that with a button-mash fest would ruin the moment's quiet dignity. It would fit in a class-less Western game that's all about tits and bad-ass sword, but here it is as jarring as snowboarding scene would have been right after the deaths of Romeo and Juliet

Turn base don't make that any better even more so for people like me that played FF7 already .
Also i can always turn that around and say after they lose someone .
The action base combat has them fighting for there lives make more sense .

Cmon man

Exaggerations much? 100% faithful isn't the ask. Keeping the core genre is

And we know thats not a reality now that its basically confirmed to be an Action RPG

Its more or less a mourning of what will be lost in the transition

My point wasn't to misrepresent the desires of the people in this thread, but when i see people talking about this being a betrayal of the game and lacking respect for it or the fans, it tells me that they seem to have a very different perception of the creative process and what defines a game. My intention isn't to accuse people of being purists, but more to express my frustration towards people who seem to think that FF7 and what it means to fans should be respected over what it means to the very people who made it.

yunbuns

I'm fine with this. Playing WoFF right after XV was so jarring for me. The battle's were so slow and boring even with the FF button.

Arkeband

Banned
It won't be Bayonetta/DmC and I assume it'll be even action-based than FFXV with no timed dogdes/parries and precise positioning and targeting. Probably just like a mix of FFXII and LR. Seamless battles and designated buttons instead of being menu-driven. So as long as there's also the Materia system and many spells, I don't think it'll be "a different genre" as some like you fear. Just a more immediate and seamless version of ATB.

I don't think they need to sacrifice parries as that would be a good replacement for the Defend command, they just need to make parry/counter windows more consistent and having better designed tells.

It's going to be interesting to see what people's reactions will be to Cloud having an array of abilities when they felt spoiled with Noctis having a grand total of one (warp strike) and a poor man's Omnislash limit break in Armiger.

I'm also interested in seeing how they treat summons after FFXV relegated them to insta-kill panic buttons only differing in animations.

Sizzel

I am old. I am pretty saddened by this. Open minded, but not thrilled. as always wait and see. Squeenix will get crucified on the project regardless by some segment. Thank god they are doing chapters so they can pivot frequently based on feedback.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
NOOOOooOooooOOOOOOoOo

Fuck yeah. KH style please.

200.webp

yunbuns

This begs the question.

What audience is this game trying to appeal to? There changing the story, redoing the gameplay and is going to be an episodic.

If I wanted a action combat Final Fantasy game i would play XV.

Not everyone cares about turn-based. There are a lot of VII fans who have weirdly enough have never played the original game and became fans through the compilation. Those people aren't going to care about story and battle changes because they never experienced the original game in the first place. It's the same thing with people who have never played the original game because the graphics are too old and it looks bad to them. I've already seen people who have said they're just going to wait for the remake instead of playing the OG for the first time.

My point wasn't to misrepresent the desires of the people in this thread, but when i see people talking about this being a betrayal of the game and lacking respect for it or the fans, it tells me that they seem to have a very different perception of the creative process and what defines a game. My intention isn't to accuse people of being purists, but more to express my frustration towards people who seem to think that FF7 and what it means to fans should be respected over what it means to the very people who made it.

Oh yeah for sure

Tons of hyperbole being thrown around. I get it

Its a title with a lot of nostalgia and emotion attached to it.

At the very least we should acknowledge that its at least being created by some of the staff that made the original so here is hoping that this risk they are taking creatively proves worth dropping its core mechanical roots

Acid08

Banned
Im ok with action combat but this is gross

The less like kingdom hearts the better

I will say that 7 will lose a lot in the transition as far as mechanical gameplay goes

im legit worried that they can do the game justice on a systemic level

And hell I actually enjoyed 15 once i got used to it but this will only be FF7 in visuals, theme and story alone

:/
Good. Why the fuck do we need the exact same game but with modern graphics? It's a remake, tear it down and rebuild it.

Good. Why the fuck do we need the exact same game but with modern graphics? It's a remake, tear it down and rebuild it.

How many remakes have you played that completely changed the genre and type of game?

Look Im not saying its an inherently a bad thing but Im not crazy for being wary of it either

Koozek

I don't think they need to sacrifice parries as that would be a good replacement for the Defend command, they just need to make parry/counter windows more consistent and having better designed tells.

It's going to be interesting to see what people's reactions will be to Cloud having an array of abilities when they felt spoiled with Noctis having a grand total of one (warp strike) and a poor man's Omnislash limit break in Armiger.

I'm also interested in seeing how they treat summons after FFXV relegated them to insta-kill panic buttons only differing in animations.
Yup, or like in LR where using Guard gives you a few seconds of protection, but pressing it just at the right time before an enemy's attack can negate some attacks and additionally can stagger the enemy instantly.

RDreamer

I would be more for this if Square Enix had demonstrated to me that they can actually build a better action based combat system than they can an ATB/Turn based one. The best they've done in my opinion is Kingdom Hearts and that definitely leaves me wanting, and doesn't really appeal to me being shoved into one of my favorite games in the FF series. Their first attempt with it in the FF series itself was abysmal.

How many remakes have you played that completely changed the genre and type of game?

Look Im not saying its an inherently a bad thing but Im not crazy for being wary of it either

Don't think you can compare what FF7 doing to any other game.
To me most remakes sort like remaster games.

meerak

To be fair to all parties, there simply ARE NOT many remakes at all in our industry. So expectations are very fair to be confused. We have worlds of remasters and spiritual successors, but true-blue, from the ground up remade games are exceptionally rare. Off the top of my head I can only think of Twin Snakes and Resident Evil as modern examples..

Acid08

Banned

"Action based" combat(whatever that means because we don't actually know) does not completely change the genre or type of game.

To be fair to all parties, there simply ARE NOT many remakes at all in our industry. So expectations are very fair to be confused. We have worlds of remasters and spiritual successors, but true-blue, from the ground up remade games are exceptionally rare. Off the top of my head I can only think of Twin Snakes and Resident Evil as modern examples..

But both of those examples are mostly in the spirit of the game it remakes? Maybe Twin Snakes having first person view is pretty close as far as game changing goes i guess?

"Action based" combat(whatever that means because we don't actually know) does not completely change the genre or type of game.

Huh? Can you maybe elaborate?

Its going to be fundamentally different mechanically unless you consider the gameplay experience to be analogous just because Final Fantasy is in the title

You dont see people confusing Zelda, Souls, Monster Hunter and Witcher 3 on GAF just because they are all 3D action games

Mandoric

Banned

It wouldn't necessarily need to be the exact same game. There's a LOT of room for rebalance and ability system rework in the tradition of other FF remakes; I'd assume that many other people were also hoping for something like FF4DS which took one of the other, to put it bluntly, mechanical stinkers of the series and gave it a visual redo and much-needed crunchiness without changing its core gameplay loop.

Especially because a single-controlled-character setup which primarily relies on input finesse is exactly the opposite of that "what if materia and party choices actually mattered?" hope.

Koozek

We already knew this didnt we? Else KH2's leads would not be neccesary
Yeah ever since the first gameplay footage and interviews afterwards it was obvious that it wouldn't be classic ATB. Kitase said this after the footage, though, which is why some, including me, thought it'd still be more of a hybrid:

Kitase says Final Fantasy VII: Remake is not "completely action-based"
Yoshinori Kitase:
"I can’t say the new game is completely action-based, but it has more of that element and real-time than the previous game."

“However, what makes Final Fantasy and RPG different from other games is that the players have the ability to choose weapons, capabilities and magic to be strategic minded, so while the new game has more real-time element, it will also maintain that strategy building element, balancing these two factors perfectly to enhance the gaming experience."​

I don't think it's the Nier kind of "action-based", though.

Lothar

Banned

Of course it does.

I don't even have a problem with it because I'm not in love with FF7's gameplay but it's definitely changing the type of game.

Twin Snakes, Resident Evil, Ratchet and Clank, Kingdom hearts Re: Chain of Memories, Tomb Raider Anniversary, Conker Live and Reloaded, Dead or Alive Ultimate, Multiple Fire Emblem remakes (two for DS and the upcoming echoes), Metroid Zero Mission, Odin Sphere Leifthrasir, and the Ys Remakes off the top of my head.

Yeah ever since the first gameplay footage and interviews afterwards it was obvious that it wouldn't be classic ATB. Kitase said this after the footage, though, which is why some, including me, thought it'd still be more of a hybrid:

Kitase says Final Fantasy VII: Remake is not "completely action-based"
Yoshinori Kitase:
"I can't say the new game is completely action-based, but it has more of that element and real-time than the previous game."

”However, what makes Final Fantasy and RPG different from other games is that the players have the ability to choose weapons, capabilities and magic to be strategic minded, so while the new game has more real-time element, it will also maintain that strategy building element, balancing these two factors perfectly to enhance the gaming experience."​

I don't think it's the Nier kind of "action-based", though.

Man talk about confusing messaging

Sounds like its closer to 13 in this quote but its on 15's engine (Correction NOT 15's ENGINE) and they keep saying all these things

Im just gonna wait for the next gameplay reveal

SirNinja

Absolutely dumbfounded by all the people in here who are surprised by this, or who are just realizing for the first time. For a while I seriously thought this topic was a necrobumped one from late 2015.

Koozek

Man talk about confusing messaging

Sounds like its closer to 13 in this quote but its on 15's engine and they keep saying all these things

Im just gonna wait for the next gameplay reveal
It's on UE4, not the FFXV engine.

Yeah, we'll have to wait and see. But I really think this will be less action-based than FFXV.

Acid08

Banned
Of course it does.

I don't even have a problem with it because I'm not in love with FF7's gameplay but it's definitely changing the type of game.
How does action based combat make it any less of an RPG?

People seem to think "action based" means it's now character action ala Nier. That would be a complete genre change. They've shown nothing that points to that being the case though.

FFXV's combat, regardless of your opinion on the quality, didn't make it feel like any less of an RPG despite being more action based.

Twin Snakes, Resident Evil, Ratchet and Clank, Kingdom hearts Re: Chain of Memories, Tomb Raider Anniversary, Conker Live and Reloaded, Dead or Alive Ultimate, Multiple Fire Emblem remakes (two for DS and the upcoming echoes), Metroid Zero Mission, Odin Sphere Leifthrasir, and the Ys Remakes off the top of my head.

A lot of those games are remaster and not remakes .
Take Odin Sphere Leifthrasir for eg they did not redo the whole gfx engine like they have to with FF7 .

Oh shit

Thanks for the correction

I would have kept spouting that garbage for days

KH3 also running on unreal so it makes sense he used one engine for both of his games.
Just easier for everyone who making the game.

Lothar

Banned

People seem to think "action based" means it's now character action ala Nier. That would be a complete genre change. They've shown nothing that points to that being the case though.

FFXV's combat, regardless of your opinion on the quality, didn't make it feel like any less of an RPG despite being more action based.

Because it's now a Action RPG. Now it's more WRPG style than JRPG style.

No dude

The distinction of the sub-genre

There is a clear difference between Secret of Mana's gameplay and Final Fantasy 4-6 for example

Action Rpg...... Turn Based RPG. How would you categorize Final Fantasy Tactics?

This language is not new

Top Bottom