• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII on Steam October 9th, $16; full trilogy by Spring 2015

The art is the least thing one could complain about. That, and the music. The entirety of the game is (graphically) diverse, consistent in quality and absolutely brilliant. This includes monster design.
Great, than it's only linearity and story that people complain about (linearity doesn't really bother me, so I'll probably enjoy it more than I expected).

LOL yeaaahhh

The game will look freaking beautiful...

and the fights are so much fun too! :D

Something to tease you all :p

Now just show me a view of a huge castle dungeon and I'll start liking the game before I even get it.

HeelPower

Now just show me a view of a huge castle dungeon and I'll start liking the game before I even get it.

Posting views would spoil the game.

Even though you can't really branch off the main path, there is still tons to see as you constantly move forward.

FFXIII is a game that uses serial rather than parallel exploration.

I played ff13 on PS3 and while I didn't love it I didn't hate it. Enough time is past i may give the whole trilogy a spin once its all on steam

Posting views would spoil the game.

Even though you can't really branch off the main path, there is still tons to see as you constantly move forward.

FFXIII is a game that uses serial rather than parallel exploration.

Fair enough, I'm guessing the views are good enough to keep me entertained between battles.

But there is a castle right? Even if it's linear, there is.... right? >.>

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oh well, back to expecting battle systems and boss fights I suppose D=

Not even... like... huge... things.. made of brick... that is not in ruins?
There are castles. And ruins. Dunno what the people above me are talking about :p

There are castles. And ruins. Dunno what the people above me are talking about :p

DON'T YOU LIE TO ME YOSHI!!!! I LIKED YOUR GAMES!!!

=P

seriously though, by castle, I just want a huge building with cool architecture and giant rooms inside (linear or not). If there is that then I'm good. If there is that and we have a cool view of the entire thing before going in even better.

HeelPower

Btw there are towns in the game ,but they are implemented differently.

You WILL get to see towns and locals of the world but in a slightly different styles than previous FFs.

They also look beautiful.

seriously though, by castle, I just want a huge building with cool architecture and giant rooms inside (linear or not). If there is that then I'm good. If there is that and we have a cool view of the entire thing before going in even better.

There is very cool architecture in the game ,but its not "medieval" style.

You WILL get to see towns and locals of the world but in a slightly different styles than previous FFs.

Bit disengenuous to say that as they aren't implemented in any regard as people expect. You can't talk to anyone, there is no exploration, there are no quests to take...it's window dressing.

Toth

THANK YOU Heel. You can also listen in on conversations of people in the towns and talk to people at other points during the game. You also get a lot of banter between party members.

Bit disengenuous to say that as they aren't implemented in any regard as people expect. You can't talk to anyone, there is no exploration, there are no quests to take... it's a slightly different hallway.

Not true. You can take different paths in every area to find additional items and sometimes, stronger mobs.

HeelPower

Bit disengenuous to say that as they aren't implemented in any regard as people expect. You can't talk to anyone, there is no exploration, there are no quests to take... it's a slightly different hallway.

I mean you'll get to see some locales where the population of the world lives and they are very cool locations.

THANK YOU Heel. You can also listen in on conversations of people in the towns and talk to people at other points during the game. You also get a lot of banter between party members.

Not true. You can take different paths in every area to find additional items and sometimes, stronger mobs.

Same as the rest of the game. You have a single, slight deviation. Some areas are rectangular, that doesn't change the fact that there is zero exploration outside of a clearly marked deviation that will most likely lead straight back to the main path. You're really stretching here.

HeelPower

You'll definitely come across towns in FFXIII that show how people live in that world.

Nautilus
is a brilliant stop-gap in the game and
the finale in Eden
shows off a beautiful town and amazing architecture.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The "castle" I was talking about exists in this gif that I just made... but out of _all the times_ to have a dialogue that spoils major stuff in two sentences, it had to be when they show the place.

It's up to you if you want to click this or not:

http://i.minus.com/i6S7FUNHyOson.gif

There is very cool architecture in the game ,but its not "medieval" style.

Close enough I suppose.

And I don't mind the lack of towns or NPCs all that much, so if it's there, even if it's just as a view, I'll be fine with it.

Plus, doesn't XIII-2 and LR correct most of those "town problems"?

EDIT: Yoshi, sure, I won't click, but I'll trust that =P, I'll be looking forward to those castles then

frostshade

Neo Member
Think of FF13 as an interactive movie with a portion of the game being relegated to exploration and you won't get too upset.

Anyways, it is highly likely that if FF13 hits around 5 dollars in a steam sale, a good number of people might buy it then. :/

probably 50,000 copies sold by end of this year on the low side.

Miguel81

If XII comes to Steam, I believe it will be better received just due to the more open style of it. The voice work was phenomenal, it had abundant quests, and the visual style is much more western?-friendly. Vaan is tolerable, and I loved that intro section with him in the sewers. Really a great warm setting to ease you into a game.

This will be my first time playing through XIII, and I am rather excited(don't hate on me) due to the fact that SE always nails the presentation and I've been wanting to test out my HTPC system. Looking forward to it, and if I enjoy it then all the better. Bring on -2 and Lighting Returns.

HeelPower

Traditionally in FF not EVERY town played a mechanical role in the games.

Just off the top of my head there are plenty of towns that simply serve progression and exposition as they do in FFXIII(excluding inns and shops I guess)

Kalm in FFVII,Narshe in FFVI etc

Similarly there is Nautilus,PalumPolum,Eden,oerba

It can be argued that FFXIII funnels you more strongly through the game but these areas more or less serve a similar function.

(I am going to regret ever posting this lol)

Think of FF13 as an interactive movie with a small portion of it being relegated to exploration and you won't get too upset.

Anyways, it is highly likely that if FF13 hits around 5 dollars in a steam sale, a good number of people might buy it then. :/

I hate David Cage's games =P

I like Telltale's games though, So I'll go thinking Telltale with a cool battle system.

Think of FF13 as an interactive movie with a small portion of it being relegated to exploration and you won't get too upset.

Well, it was the number one-selling Steam title on the day it was announced. And supposedly Steam ranks revenue, not copies sold. It shouldn't do too bad.

To me, one of the biggest issues with the game is how much is restricts you. For the first 20 hours of the game it tells you when you can level characters via level caps, it tells you what party members you will use, it tells you who your leader will be (and in doing so restricts you to the play style they want you to play as and use the summons they want), it constantly restricts you to 2 party members when it's when you are able to use 3 that the battle system really shines, gives you upgrading early on but then makes it so that it's mostly useless until 25 hours later, etc. When the game finally takes off the training wheels 20 to 25 hours in, the battle system really shows how awesome it is. You just had to suffer through 25 hours to get to that point.

frostshade

Neo Member
Well, it was the number one-selling Steam title on the day it was announced. And supposedly Steam ranks revenue, not copies sold. It shouldn't do too bad.

Yea, but low estimations makes it sweeter when you notice that the sales have surpassed your expectations.

On the note of exploration, Mordor and it's Nemesis system might redefine how I view future open world or near open world games for years to come.

Tizoc

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Toriyama's Waifu Returns

Fixed :V

To me, one of the biggest issues with the game is how much is restricts you. For the first 20 hours of the game it tells you when you can level characters via level caps, it tells you what party members you will use, it tells you who your leader will be (and in doing so restricts you to the play style they want you to play as and use the summons they want), it constantly restricts you to 2 party members when it's when you are able to use 3 that the battle system really shines, gives you upgrading early on but then makes it so that it's mostly useless until 25 hours later, etc. When the game finally takes off the training wheels 20 to 25 hours in, the battle system really shows how awesome it is. You just had to suffer through 25 hours to get to that point.

I personally like that restriction to an extent.

Like you say, it's fine to an extent. I think that, added with how minimalistic the level design was, made it a bit suffocating for many players. I was fine with it, I could roll with it, but I'd be lying if it didn't annoy me when I was forced to play as Hope and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't skipping enemy encounters near the 20 hour mark (I basically cheesed all of Chapter 10). Then the game opened up and those issues faded away.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Mom's are tough in 1080p......

How can you like restriction when it takes away every single thing about JRPG's that are good? You can't even go into battles and your leisure considering your level capped according to story progression

Yoshichan

Thread title has already been decided :3

Level caps is just a cheap way for you not to grind way past the recommended level for that area and breeze through (and then proceed to complain on how easy the game was)

Sure it's not a valid or good thing to do, but that is literally saying that they always intended the game to be linear. And if so... then at least that linearity is planned and not something they did because they were incompetent.

And I don't know why I'm defending a game I haven't even played yet, so I'll be quiet now.

Yea, but low estimations makes it sweeter when you notice that the sales have surpassed your expectations.

On the note of exploration, Mordor and it's Nemesis system might redefine how I view future open world or near open world games for years to come.
How do those games do open world? I haven't been following either actually =P

HeelPower

The 2 party member restriction forces you to figure out the battle systems.

It makes the game much more intense in some areas.

Also the game constantly switches characters with different jobs and abilties so that makes it more interesting.

Still, I fully understand if some people are really turned off by these limitations.They are palpable limitations to many players who love more options(I also happen to enjoy options as well as limitations in different ways)

Toth

I do as well as it helps to prevent the plot being suffocated by the world around it, a problem FFXII did suffer. It helps that even when the game opens up and you get a bit overwhelmed, you are able to progress in the plot alongside the initial bath of side quests.

Level caps is just a cheap way for you not to grind way past the recommended level for that area and breeze through (and then proceed to complain on how easy the game was)

Sure it's not a valid or good thing to do, but that is literally saying that they always intended the game to be linear. And if so... then at least that linearity is planned and not something they did because they were incompetent.

And I don't know why I'm defending a game I haven't even played yet, so I'll be quiet now.

How do those games do open world? I haven't been following either actually =P

It was planned to a certain extent. You should read the Post Mortem after you play the game. Development Hell personified.

The 2 party member restriction forces you to figure out the battle systems.

It makes the game much more intense in some areas.

Also the game constantly switches characters with different jobs and abilties so that makes it more interesting.

Still, I fully understand if some people are really turned off by these limitations.They are palpable limitations to many players who love more options(I also happen to enjoy options as well as limitations in different ways)

I'm conflicted on how I feel about the way XIII did it. It's not inherently bad, but I think they did it for too long to the point where I was beginning to get bored by the gameplay after a certain point until it opened up.

It was planned to a certain extent. You should read the Post Mortem after you play the game. Development Hell personified.

Oh yeah, I heard about that, at the time I wasn't following XIII, but even without following it I got to know a bit of that development hell.

But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, during the years people were complaining about "the fall of SE" I was happy playing Crisis Core and Dissidia, so I trust them more than people normally do.

Any links for that Post Mortem though? I'll save it here and read it after playing.

HeelPower

I'm conflicted on how I feel about the way XIII did it. It's not inherently bad, but I think they did it for too long to the point where I was beginning to get bored by the gameplay after a certain point until it opened up.

Yup they did.Eventhough its nowhere near as bad as Persona 4's ten floor design ,some areas in FFXIII needed to be shorter(example gaprawhitewoods)

Varied dungeon design such as the one in Taejin's tower proven to be very interesting as well.

Still, overall the encounter design and how the game can constantly keep you on your toes in terms of new enemy formations is pretty fun.

Top Bottom