• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII on Steam October 9th, $16; full trilogy by Spring 2015

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
as someone that actually enjoyed (and finished) FF13 on ps3, what can I expect from 13-2 and Lightning Returns? Will I probably like those aswell?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah, I heard about that, at the time I wasn't following XIII, but even without following it I got to know a bit of that development hell.

But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, during the years people were complaining about "the fall of SE" I was happy playing Crisis Core and Dissidia, so I trust them more than people normally do.

Any links for that Post Mortem though? I'll save it here and read it after playing.

You can get it from here.
http://twvideo01.ubm-us.net/o1/vault/GD_Mag_Archives/GDM_October_2010.pdf
From the Game Development Magazine Vault, who uploaded all their issues for free after they closed.
http://www.gdcvault.com/gdmag

Gvaz

Banned
I'm conflicted on how I feel about the way XIII did it. It's not inherently bad, but I think they did it for too long to the point where I was beginning to get bored by the gameplay after a certain point until it opened up.

The combat bored me within like 5 hours, i was sick of it. Beat the game in 30 hours though, once you get to the open section 20-25 hours in, the game is pretty much over.

Tizoc

as someone that actually enjoyed (and finished) FF13 on ps3, what can I expect from 13-2 and Lightning Returns? Will I probably like those aswell?

13-2's combat system is good although Serah's a dumb bitch and Noel is cool.
That's all I can remember from the game atm since I hadn't played it in a long time. Final areas and bosses are tough though.
There is one chapter/area where they pointlessly toss enemies at you every 5 seconds though.

LuuKyK

No, thank you!

JDQAaA8

:D

:O

Gvaz

Banned
13-2's combat system is good although Serah's a dumb bitch and Noel is cool.
That's all I can remember from the game atm since I hadn't played it in a long time. Final areas and bosses are tough though.
There is one chapter/area where they pointlessly toss enemies at you every 5 seconds though.

serah is somehow breaking the fourth wall every time she speaks

"You can save us...protect us all...save Cocoon"

And who can forget such gems as:

[narrating] My memories... They're real, aren't they?

Falk

that puzzling face
Man I can't wait for LR Steam to come out just to see HeelPower psychoing people to buy that game too. What a turnaround :V

HeelPower

Man I can't wait for LR Steam to come out just to see HeelPower psychoing people to buy that game too. What a turnaround :V

lol its just because the there is no strong force to oppose me

*_* I am kinda enjoying the chill mood in this thread and its getting contagious lol

Personally been wanting to replay LR lately ,and I am still waiting for that one to come out.Not gonna replay on PS3.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

What did you like about XIII?

XIII-2 had weaker combat because everything was so easy. Monsters were tedious to level but I don't know if you'll like the system. Noel and Serah were surprising better characters than the XIII ones in terms of character development and personality but the time travel story is all over the place and the logic isn't quite there. The villain had somewhat better motivations though. The music had more variety and was really good. Locations are now larger areas that feel more like dungeons, I supposed. And there are towns. Downside would be that they used time travel to reskin areas (sometimes giving them a different weather) so locations can feel repetitive. I think the most was 3 variations of the same place. Graphic wise it was also not as polished as the first. The game tried hitting all the notes that were missing in the first, like against a checklist so you get something that seems to contain a bit of everything but feels like a good assignment from a team of good RPG making students.

LR has a different battle system and you only control Lightning. The game is pseudo action based with dodging/blocking and importance placed on the timing of attacking, blocking and dodging, while still keeping to an ATB gauge. Lots of customisation options that can feel slightly tedious. I didn't really like the ability upgrade system because it feels like a gaccha system like those freetoplay games on mobile. I really liked the battle system but the game didn't give it enough space to breath. Too few enemies, too short a main plot with lots of side quest padding. Time system almost only there to lengthen the game and confuse you in the "oh no I missed the time gap and have to wait till the next day" kind of way. They speak of it being an open world but it really is just 4 different large locations with a few dungeons here and there. The game is too small so the battle system feels wasted. Feels more half baked than XIII-2. Graphically the worse of the three games and one were you can genuinely believe if someone compares it to a PS2 game. Story is even more nonsensical.

I did find all 3 games to be fun though.

To extend my comparison of XIII-2 to a school assignment,
XIII was an assignment which was pieced together with very beautiful but empty prose right on the night before it was submitted, not because the students were lazy but because the group members all did their own thing until it was too late.

XIII-2 was on the other hand made by a group of students who kept looking and making sure they meet the requirements of what the teacher wants and manages to sort of make it without excelling at any particular aspect, too afraid to drop an idea or two to expand on the ideas that were better.

LR felt like it was made by people who decided to not do much research, didn't really paid attention in class and decided to write something that was very based on material and ideas that didn't need to be expanded upon (i.e. LIghtning and the XIII world). The students here are not particularly gifted, some probably didn't care. You end up with an assignment that felt half baked, with bad ideas, incomplete and just winging it because they had to do something.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Anyone know where I can find high resolution of this:

iMdrQ6S50L7r0.jpg

Been scouring the entire Internet for it... but it's impossible :_:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
WOW! The fact that you have to Google Image search in order to find a high rez pic of the above says a lot how "un-popular" this image was. But I finally found it!

BOOM! (OT's gonna be gorgeous because FFXIII is gorgeous)

thuway

I don't know about you guys, but I'm really excited about PC modders getting their hands on the code. Imagine if someone implants the cutscene model into gameplay.

JoJoSono

Banned
Think of FF13 as an interactive movie with a portion of the game being relegated to exploration and you won't get too upset.

QUOTE]
The only problem with this is XIII should be the last jrpg to be saddled with "it's a movie" critique. It may be a linear game where all you do is battle, but there is a lot more game then cutscenes. You do far more battles then watch custscenes with few of them ever being too long.

Kamikokuryo is amazing. His character art is a little iffy, but his strength is in background and its beautiful stuff from XII-XIII-2.

I need to order it... but yes I wish something like that was in the game.

I believe you gotta order the Ultimania Omega which is just art.

behold

kamikolightning.jpg

Light was going to have silver hair like Hope before deciding on pink.

Yoshichan

Heading to bed now! 8:30am... what am I even doing :_:

Had a great time in this thread, see you all tomorrow :)

Kamikokuryo is amazing. His character art is a little iffy, but his strength is in background and its beautiful stuff from XII-XIII-2.

While character design is pretty important to me, nothing beats scenery and background, I just love spending 15 minutes staring at views in RPGs in general, and I love when artbooks have more backgrounds than characters in them.

Thinking about picking up that Ultimania too.

HeelPower

I need to order it... but yes I wish something like that was in the game.

There is something that looks pretty similar.Enlil and Enke.

But yeah it seems there were tons of awesome designs that didn't make the cut for whatever reason.

My guess is time and volume constraints.There are resources not even used in the sequels!!!

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
There is something that looks pretty similar.Enlil and Enke.

But yeah it seems there were tons of awesome designs that didn't make the cut for whatever reason.

My guess is time and volume constraints.There are resources not even used in the sequels!!!

There was supposed to be this mountain that looked really cool, with lightning and thunder all around it. And a Falcie Ramuh that was really huge.

Top Bottom