• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Impressions: Mark All Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ran rp

Fuck it, I'm about to save myself some money and join the spoiler thread.

JD and the town thing really killed my interest in playing this thing.

I can't say I agree with the "hold button" down with the combat complaint. The demo proved that and I suspect when we get to play Normal mode, you'll be doing far less button holds.

Wait, isn't attacking and blocking literally done by holding down the buttons?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I also asked this to Solid Sora yesterday. Copy pasta.

Is the game any good overall? Hopefully it's better than FFXII and FFXIII. :p

It's good. Way better than XIII for sure. Not sure about XII yet, they have very similar problems, but XV feels more FF-y than XII for sure.

LowParry

PSY・S;225302088 said:
Fuck it, I'm about to save myself some money and join the spoiler thread.

JD and the town thing really killed my interest in playing this thing.

Why not just hold off until more GAF impressions come in?

Debating on keeping my pre-order or not, subbed.
So far everything I saw or hear about the story leak makes me want to cancel it but I'm secretly hoping GAFers impression will be more positive.

Take a leap of faith or wait for it to get cheaper. A lot folks have been along for the ride since 06 so our judgement is to give it a shot day one.

Soriku

Gameplay (oh boy)
- Combat is a mess. All you need to do is hold circle and occassionally press square to dodge or block to win enemy encounters. There's little to no skill required here.

Other people have said the game has a good challenge so I wonder how true this is. Especially when taking hunts into account.

I just want to point out that one person's pile of trash is another's treasure.

I couldn't agree more. Since I loved Type-0 (yea, I'm that guy) and pretty much the rest of the world, and If there's life in other worlds, they too, hated it, I don't know what to think about opinions anymore.

tdwig

Neo Member
End game related questions:
Probably not much end game impressions yet but does Adamantoise really take 72 hours to defeat? He's also the only super boss with a trophy it seems, so I'm hoping there is more super-bosses to fight in end-game.

LowParry

Wait, isn't attacking and blocking literally done by holding down the buttons?

You can but with the Judgement demo being on Easy mode, you could probably get away from it with smaller mobs of the same or less level. IF the ability tree expands the combat further (which I'm sure someone can answer), then that may just prove more that holding a button down is not a good tactic.

silva1991

Those story impressions...

I mean it was expected, but still. If they changed and removed key characters for story purposes at least they should have made decent story out of it.

Debating on keeping my pre-order or not, subbed.
So far everything I saw or hear about the story leak makes me want to cancel it but I'm secretly hoping GAFers impression will be more positive.

I have my copy pre-ordered at Amazon. I'll wait on opening it up till I've read some reviews/impressions...just incase.

Tyaren

Is what they told us about the game world true? Does it get more and more fantastic in the second half of the game?

Are there regions in the second half that are as big as the Leide desert or the Duscae valley?

rjinaz

I couldn't agree more. Since I loved Type-0 (yea, I'm that guy) and pretty much the rest of the world, and If there's life in other worlds, they too, hated it, I don't know what to think about opinions anymore.

Back in the day when FF XIII was newer, there was one guy at our website, and only one guy out of like 30 people, that actually really liked the game. We used to give him a hard time about it all the time. But yeah to each their own. I tell people that I didn't like FF VI or FF X at all and that XII is my favorite and I usually get a funny look.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Is what they told us about the game world true? Does it get more and more fantastic in the second half of the game?

Are there regions in the second half that are as big as the Leide desert or the Duscae valley?

As I understand it, everything's considerably downscaled in the second half in favor of really truly beginning to tell the story, heh. (There's a very sparse story in the first half but still a lot of great characterization.)

That's about it as far as truly explorable cities are concerned. There are a few small-scale towns and other little signs of civilization, but as far as I'm aware, Lestallum and Altissia are it.

Lol, exactly this question lead to the explosion in the other thread and the birth of this thread.

No, there are apparently not.

Um, what about the
Square-Enix dev that said that there are still several cities and towns that haven't been shown yet and he looks forward to player's experiencing them
?

Quonny

I could've made up this entire post, but some of this is plain wrong, like the combat difficulty.

Title music is good? Like the music we've all heard? And the level system is like FFX? Isn't that commonly known, and even the example developers have quoted? Story criticism is the most broad, obvious stuff too.

I dunno...

tumblr_madnk0WWFM1qe47tto3_1280.png

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Those story impressions...

I mean it was expected, but still. If they changed and removed key characters for story purposes at least they should have made decent story out of it.

I'm sure the development team tried everything they could to make a decent product while shipping this year

Back in the day when FF XIII was newer, there was one guy at our website, and only one guy out of like 30 people, that actually really liked the game. We used to give him a hard time about it all the time. But yeah to each their own. I tell people that I didn't like FF 6 or FF 10 at all and that XII is my favorite and I usually get a funny look.

Well of course, but that's because you're actually an insane person.

jk, I really like FFXII too

I just didn't see the type-0 hate coming tbh, I played it when it was a PSP game with a fanmade english translation and I fell in love with it. Then I played the remaster and, though its Psp roots where still there and the camera was a mess, I still liked the game.

EhoaVash

so uh.. i just want to know if that one 4chan leak few months ago was true or not? especially about the story/ending ._. if so I don't want to play this

Tyaren

As I understand it, everything's considerably downscaled in the second half in favor of really truly beginning to tell the story, heh. (There's a very sparse story in the first half but still a lot of great characterization.)

So it basically is like FFXIII? :/ Maybe the corridors are not as narrow as they were there?
What do you do in these areas, just run from one point to the other and kill the enemies in your way? Are there at least quests too? Maybe even NPCS to talk to?

Um, what about the
Square-Enix dev that said that there are still several cities and towns that haven't been shown yet and he looks forward to player's experiencing them
?

I guess they just lied or they cut that stuff later. I was so disappointed when I found out today... But I'm glad I did. Finding out while playing and hopeing there was more to come for naught would be worse.

Fou-Lu

I loved Duscae and Judgement Disc, I even got some enjoyment out of Platinum Demo. I also love every single FF game, even XIII. I also enjoyed XII's story through to the end, even once it became obvious how stiched together it was. I am pretty damn confident I am going to love the hell out of XV.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Um, what about the
?

I never heard that, which is probably why I spent the last couple of years telling people here and elsewhere
not to get their hopes up for more than what we've been seeing. <_<;

Didn't know about that.

Ok...what does this mean?

It's an "instant classic" GAF meme. Verendus, now banned, was telling everyone to "BALEE DAT" ("believe that") in his apparently made-up FFXV impressions the other day.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I could've made up this entire post, but some of this is plain wrong, like the combat difficulty.

Title music is good? Like the music we've all heard? And the level system is like FFX? Isn't that commonly known, and even the example developers have quoted? Story criticism is the most broad, obvious stuff too.

I dunno...

I just copy pasta-d it. He must be in total blackout
unlike us lol

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
so uh.. i just want to know if that one 4chan leak few months ago was true or not? especially about the story/ending ._. if so I don't want to play this

for the most part yes, there were slight inconsistencies but on the whole it was basically all right
regardless of what may come out spoilers wise...i think you should play it and figure out the game in context of your own time.

rjinaz

Well of course, but that's because you're actually an insane person.

jk, I really like FFXII too

I just didn't see the type-0 hate coming tbh, I played it when it was a PSP game with a fanmade english translation and I fell in love with it. Then I played the remaster and, though its Psp roots where still there and the camera was a mess, I still liked the game.

Ha well about 6, keep in mind that I didn't play it in my youth. I tried to play it a few years ago at the urging of some friends. It's really really hard for me to get into older games. Had I discovered the game when I was a young teen it would probably be a favorite of mine like the others after it and before X

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
So it basically is like FFXIII? :/ Maybe the corridors are not as narrow as they were there?
What do you do in these areas, just run from one point to the other and kill the enemies in your way? Are there at least quests too? Maybe even NPCS to talk to?

I don't want to get too in-depth here simply because I've not actually played the game and I'm relying on word-of-mouth. I should probably have noted that up front so I apologize if I've misled you. But I'm answering based on what I've heard from people who have played the game; it's just that I don't know the specifics past what I've said. What I can tell you, though, which will probably bring some relief, is that
I've not seen anyone compare the second half's layout to FFXIII corridors at all. It's apparently reasonably more open than that, at least, and there are dungeons and NPCs and so forth, yes. It's just that the "open world" feel is certainly gone.

bigmac996

Whelp, now I know the ending. Someone on reddit messaged me and others on the FFXV subreddit. No way of knowing someone would stoop that low and send out mass private messages. Apparently he's a banned user. People are so great.

Also, be warned if you've posted on the FFXV subreddit. If you see a private message, don't click!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
It's an "instant classic" GAF meme. Verendus, now banned, was telling everyone to "BALEE DAT" ("believe that") in his apparently made-up FFXV impressions the other day.

I hate that people keep saying it thinking it's a "Verendus thing", when Verendus just got it from wrestler Roman Reigns, who he pretended to like because it annoyed WrassleGAF.

Give me my
Tenebrae exploration!!!

Damn I was really looking forward to exploring Tenebrae. The place is really final fantasy looking

Balee dat

Balee in me who balees in you who balees in one piece...

As for combat, sure, you can probably get through many encounters by holding O, but that's not all there is in combat. There are plenty of tutorials on youtube right now, that explore surprisingly detailed movesets each weapon type has

Sagely

FFXII fans represent! It's mostly a matter of taste at the end of the day.

I know by now that lovable characters, art direction and music can take me very far through a thin or batshit insane plot (XII and VIII respectively) and FFXV looks to be appealing in all the ways that matter to me. Of course it will be divisive and have problems, but I expect it to be a deeply personal experience.

ULTROS!

My favorite game in the series next to IX is X-2. ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

I like FFXIII more than FFI, FFII, FFIII, FFV, FFVIII, and FFXII. :p

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I hate that people keep saying it thinking it's a "Verendus thing", when Verendus just got it from wrestler Roman Reigns, who he pretended to like because it annoyed WrassleGAF.

I stand corrected. In the future I'll rightly attribute Roman Reigns followed by an explanation for how Verendus popularized it. Admittedly, I know about as much on wrestling as I do on distant galaxies.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I stand corrected. In the future I'll rightly attribute Roman Reigns followed by an explanation for how Verendus popularized it. Admittedly, I know about as much on wrestling as I do on distant galaxies.

Sorry, didn't mean to come off rude. It just irks me, and I know it shouldn't. It's my problem.

Ran rp

Why not just hold off until more GAF impressions come in?

there's nothing left for me. i know playing through to the end is going to feel like a massive waste of time and money for me.

i already have trouble finishing games under 10 hours. forcing myself through this for maybe a few bright moments isn't worth it.

edit: i already accepted that the story was a mess thanks to sora's impressions and everything i've seen myself so far, so i was relying on the gameplay being awesome but that isn't grabbing me either.

I for one can appreciate even a messy plot as long as the characters are likeable which seems to be the case for this game so I'm still super excited.

I mean I liked Tales of Graces story but hated Asbel a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom